1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vriptech Heat Wand

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by stonemonkey55, Nov 12, 2008.

1. stonemonkey55

stonemonkey55 Chief Vapor Officer Manufacturer

Honeybeat, I noticed that you also own a SSV with the ice chamber, that is a pretty sweet set up. I myself have the water tool that they sell and it works pretty great but you can?t put ice in it. It?s kind of a nice, hand held vapor bubbler?but I digress. My whole point is, the vapor from the VHW is no different than the vapor that you are getting out of your SSV/ice chamber set up. If you look at the pic of the VHW on page 1, you will notice that it has a very similar heating element as the SSV, except that it is about twice the thickness and uses about double the wattage. I believe this to be the reason that the VHW maintains it?s heat so well and is more forgiving to any inhalation types. So if the vapor temp isn?t bothering you from using the SSV, the VHW vapor should feel no different to your lungs/throat

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Well-Known Member

Yes, but by the time the vapor from my SSV has passed through the wand, the three feet of tubing, and my ice chamber, it is not hot at all, not even warm.
    The heat from the heat gun passing simply through my bong was too hot, especially when I used the relatively small Vrip Master.

3. stonemonkey55

Hmmm, that's tough to say Honey Beat. I really don't notice any additional heat when using the SSV with a waterpipe or using the VHW with the water pipe. I do think that the tubing does cool down the vapor a bit, but with the ice in the water pipe, my vapor feels "cool" to my throat. I think it would be safe to say that the vapor heat from the VHW would be comparable to the vapor heat in your SSV set up. I've never had anyone complain from using the VHW and the most consistent response is "wow, feels cool, don't even know I was taking in huge amounts of vapor!" I am confident that you won't have the same burning sensation you felt from before, regardless of the shorter vapor path of the VRIP.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Well-Known Member

Thanks Monkey, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Sounds pretty awesome.

5. captainwolf

captainwolf Well-Known Member

Monkey, take a look at the glass screen Acolyte posted. It is a meteor glass gauze. Do you think that would work in the VCB? If so what size? Has the owner of VRIP tried a design like that? He may be able to replace his metal screen and market something similar to that. I know he said frits dont work well in the VCB, but that thing looks like a whole new animal with promise. What you think?

6. captainwolf

BTW, the meteor gauze picture is posted on page 3 of this thread.

7. stonemonkey55

I don't see why that wouldn't work, are these common items i can find at a local headshop? I'll buy one and test it out. The only thing that I can see that might be difficult, is when you want to stir and crush up the herb after the first few hits, but other than that, I absolutely love it

8. captainwolf

I'm not sure if you can get the meteor gauze at a local shop, but you can get a typcial glass frit screen there. Supposedly the owner of VRIP said frits won't work with the VCB, thats why he uses a metal screen. The round meteor gauze is a totally different shape than a frit and I was wondering if it would work. You can ask about it in your local shop and maybe print off the pic that acolyte posted. Worst case scenario you could order it online. I was just wondering if you thought it would work or had tried it.

9. Acolyte of Zinglon

Acolyte of Zinglon Wizard-Ninja

does vriptech sell an adapter that will allow it to be used on any pipe, or do they make bowls with 14 and 19mm gong joints?
    as it seems now, this would only fit on a bong with a slide or one of their special waterpipes, and i dont see many of those in the places i look for glass

edit: oh and is the upper thing needed for the vhw or is that just a heat gun adaptor and you use just the lower bowl for the vhw
    also what is the diameter of the vriptech bowl? it might be easier to find a gong bowl with the same diameter than to find an adaptor that allows a slide to be used in a glass on glass setup

10. stonemonkey55

CW - OK, I took a look at the meteor gauze on the website and unfortunately, my local head shops don?t carry it. I am convinced that this would work well with the VHW and the VCB (VRIP?s acronym for vaporization chamber bowl). The only time I can see this becoming an issue is if you grind your herb down extremely finely and it might slip thru the little cracks that the air flows thru. Other than, I am positive it would work because the premise would be the same whether you were using a bowl to smoke out of or a bowl to vape out of.

AofZ ? The VHW uses a special ?shorty? VCB and makes about as good a seal you can without going GonG. I have used it in a roor with a 14mm GG and it slid right in, at one point of the stem, it gets thicker and I think it could slide into a 19mm GG joint as well. I will get find out what the diameter is, I think you might be able to find a gong bowl that would be the same size but I have a feeling that if you do, the price might not be much different than the shorty VCB which is about 50 bones with shipping.

11. captainwolf

Does anyone know of an American company that sells the meteor gauze?

12. captainwolf

Monkey can you show the picture of the meteor gauze to Mark at VRIP and see what he thinks?

13. stonemonkey55

CW - I'll get an answer for you shortly

AofZ, here is a reply from Mark

14. KeepCalm

KeepCalm Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer

Just for the record I use a glass-on-glass bong vape every day and the bowl has never gotten stuck. It's just not an issue. If you source good GonG joints and keep them clean and dry they don't get stuck! :ko:

15. stonemonkey55

CW - Heard back from Mark, he thinks the meteor gauze will work as well but fears that when you stir your material around, some of the herb will fall into the stem...

Currently, if you have a GG waterpipe, you would need this piece to retrofit it to work with the VHW:

http://www.vriptech.com/Merchant2/m...re_Code=VR&Product_Code=TJDS&Category_Code=RP

Just wanted to take an informal survey to see if this is a deal breaker or if a GG joint on the lower intake is a nice to have or a need to have.

16. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Terrorist

comon what are are of you saying! there are most defiantly bowls (GONG) that you could retro fit the vrip to...its not just the one posted above^ :rolleyes:

17. stonemonkey55

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me, the VRIP VCB, as it is today, would not fit into the 18mm GG joints in a gong waterpipe. I mean, it fits into the hole but you can tell that it wasn't made for it. You would need to add that slider stem so that it will accept the skinner 12mm bowls that the lower intake of the VCB currently utilizes. If you look at how the lower intake is shaped, you'll understand why you need that piece.

http://www.vriptech.com/Merchant2/m...VR&Product_Code=VCBLBJF_12mm&Category_Code=RP

Maybe if you post some links, I'll have a better understanding of what you are talking about. Are you talking about the top part or the bottom part of the VRIP VCB? It is two pieces unlike most conventional bowls

18. Acolyte of Zinglon

the adapter is nice, and it most likely works, but its an extra piece of otherwise unnecessary equipment

if he made some of the lower chamber bowls that were straight glass on glass with standard 14.5 and 18.8 joints it would be a lot more convenient

not quite a dealbreaker, but it could be, im sure many people dont have the patience to look through the site to find that adapter

edit: so that downstem is really a standard 18.8 joint just shorter? i thought it was a different size and by adaptor you meant http://www.vriptech.com/Merchant2/m...ore_Code=VR&Product_Code=TJS&Category_Code=RP

19. vtac

vtac vapor junkie Staff Member

:cool:

Did he give you any ETA?

20. stonemonkey55

AofZ - the link that you typed is for a different piece, it is to retrofit the old VRIP waterpipes so it can accept the 12mm stems, whereas the other one is the same thing but also includes the downstem that goes into the water. I've been using VRIP watertools so I didn't need to purchase these to retrofit a GonG waterpipe. Maybe if more people ask for it, I can point Mark to this thread to start producing lower intake bowls that fit directly into a standard 14 or 18.8 mm joint. Which one is the more popular size?

Vtac, not sure about the ETA on the mini 007. Mark's been working hard on three other side projects but said that if the VHW sells well, he will expedite the mini 007 kit, that is all I know for now.

21. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Terrorist

both! i hate when a retailer only does 14 or only does 18...angers me :mad: :lol:

22. Acolyte of Zinglon

14.5 tends to be for smaller or lower priced bongs, 18.8 is on higher end, larger bongs

while it would be a pain most likely to produce both, it would be best, as both are commonly used, but there are bushing type things that can adapt 14.5 up to 18.8
    if he can find a place that supplies those and he feels comfortable with it he could just make 14.5 and supply those as well
    just firing off ideas :cool:

23. stonemonkey55

AofZ, thanks, I don't really frequent head shops all that often (only for screens and even then, I usually by 50 of them so I don't need to go back) so I am not fluent in a lot of the newer (by newer, I mean post 2000) advancements to water pipes. I remember the first bong I bought was this triple chamber, clear blue plastic one that we smoked dirt weed out of....funny how things change, and sometimes for the simpler. As much fun as the multi chambered bingers can be, I like the simple, straight tube design if the classic Roors but I also love my VRIP PRO VWT, the simple beaker design.

24. youdontknowme

youdontknowme Well-Known Member

FWIW, when I emailed Mark about using the VHW with an 18.8 like the Per(x):

The part Mark suggests above looks like it would be a downstem so if you wanted to use a GonG diffused downstem I wonder if the part AofZ linked would work. I asked Mark a few days ago in another email on the 5th but haven't heard back :(. sm55, is this TJDS what is already used with the pro water tool? If so, what is the sequence of parts between the topmost VCB intake and the water itself?

And while both 14 and 18 are common GonG joint sizes, I would think the pipes commonly found with 14mm are probably too small to use with the VHW without the setup looking very awkward. :2c:

Really? Is this part sold separately? If I get the VHW I was going to get it with whatever the normal VCB is... but I guess I'm confused. Then again I see both a 9.5mm and a 12 bowl. Or maybe its not on the website yet because the VHW isn't either?

25. stonemonkey55

The TJDS is what is currently used in the Pro Water Tool. So the sequence for the VHW goes something like this -> First is the VHW which fits into the upper "shorty" intake, the upper shorty intake then attaches to either a 9.5 mm or 12mm lower bowl. That lower bowl than goes into the TJDS which is then submerged into the water portion of the waterpipe. Hope that made sense. I can take some pictures tonite to give you a better visual.

The shorty VCB is not on the website but basically just looks like the standard VCB with a haircut.

I think the 9mm stems would fit easily into a 14 mm but I am not 100% sure. Might look awkward but I'm sure it would work fine. Why do you think it would look awkward? I'm only asking because I'm not as familiar with the sizing and what they look like.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors