1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vriptech Heat Wand

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by stonemonkey55, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Clear_Dome

Clear_Dome Vaporhead Glass Blower

WHAT THE FU*K IT IS NOT GONG JOIN :disgust: ....

2. max

max Bingo Coordinator Staff Member

Then you already have it made with the Herbo, no?

3. marcuss

marcuss above the clouds

Yes max....you right and i made the right choice for me!
    This is one of many reasons i will not compare this two hi-quality vapes....i like to keep this forum clean from any wrong conclusion like you!
    Asking these questions to stonemonkey it is clear to all they are quite different so no confusion anymore!

4. stonemonkey55

stonemonkey55 Chief Vapor Officer Manufacturer

Not trying to stir the pot here but saying that they are no links between the two can be confusing as well. Conceptually I would say they are very similar, aesthetically, they are different. I mean, would you say the SSV with standard heater cover and SSV with GonG to be completely different? Basic concept is heat comes from glass encapsulated heating element that is put over a bowl that has herb sitting in the bottom and vapor is produced in a water pipe structure. I mean, if you were to describe the Extreme to someone, you would describe another bag vape like a Volcano to give them some idea of what you are talking about, while the Herbo might not be a direct comparison, I still think it's the closest comparison you can make in our vapor world.

CD, while it is not a GonG joint, I do not think it takes away from the vaping experience. I guess it is much like the SSV where some people prefer the standard wand versus the GonG. Myself, I would prefer that it was GonG but you can't always have everything that you want. I hope some other people order a few of these discounted wands so that they can share their experiences with you as opposed to just my viewpoint.

TGIF everyone!

5. KeepCalm

KeepCalm Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer

For me to use this the bowl would have to be available as gong for sure - not that part that interfaces with the wand, but the bowl's connection to the downstem.

6. stonemonkey55

The downstem being GonG is something I think he can definitely offer. I will let him know to see if that is a more viable option. Currently the downstem is a standard downstem.

7. vtac

vtac vapor junkie Staff Member

A choice is always nice, I'd still go for the current iteration assuming it's air tight and works as well as the standard SSV interface. Hope to test it out soon.

8. marcuss

marcuss above the clouds

If you give a close look to the Herbo's heater you will see that it is not encapsulated and the stainless steel element is inside the air path.
    If this BIG difference is not so big for you why Sebastien didn't change his steel element for the ceramic one?

Stonemonkey i just want to explain what i see and if i never tested the VRIP i do simply see that you can't compare a steel element to anything else(i don't say it is better or not, just different like two different engines for cars)... :2c:
    If you really want to compare something to the VRIP try to check this link.....

http://www.rollies.com/Pipes/Vaporizers/HotGlassHandHeldVaporizer.html

yes this is pretty the same.....and the hot glass vape is older!

9. stonemonkey55

Good find Marcuss! Indeed this is the heat wand that inspired the VRIP heat wand!

10. Hennessy1414

Hennessy1414 Terrorist

no e-mail back from him? i want this item!

11. max

Ah, the Hot Glass! I'd forgotten all about that one. A truly ancient vaporizer. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Hot Glass review ripped from the dusty pages of vaporinfo.com:

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006
    I received my Hot Glass today. This one takes a little getting used to. I knew ahead of time it has a long warm-up time so that was no big deal. So I gave it like 25 mins to get good and hot then I put a small amount into the huge bowl and started to inhale. Not much vapor right away. After a couple of trial sessions I decided to really fill it up. I put around 3/4 of a gram in and had better results. When I hit my Silver Surfer it works best if I take a slow kind of a steady draw. I found with the Hot Glass I had to kind of milk up a bong full with about 3 strong draws. I think this may have something to do with the 18.8mm gong adapter I am using to fit my Merlin 5.0. There seems to be very little drag. That's probably why I had to add so much product. The bowl that comes with it has a much smaller diameter 9mm. Which by the way fits nicely into a 14.4mm gong seal. The o-ring around the 9mm stem fits right up to the 14.4 mm seal.True to advertised the taste is amazing! The flavor just seems a little sweeter and more intense. It's just a little more work to get it. With the Silver Surfer you have to be careful. I tell everyone to count to 5 while you hit it. If you go longer thanthat it just sneaks up on you and you look like this guy Then after coughing your brains out you look like this guy
    So in closing I would say if you want huge hits to knock you on your ass go with the SSV. If you want the purest cleanest flavor go with the H.G

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006
    Anyway, my original unit burned out in like 2 weeks and obviously was defective all along. It took some time but after sending the unit back I received the replacement today. There was definitely something wrong with the other one because this one hits awesome. The bowl is a completely different design too. The heater goes down into the bowl further so you don't have to hold it. We will see hopefully this one lasts.

12. stonemonkey55

Max, I'm about to call you Sherlock holmes for finding that review. Very interestig read indeed. I'm typing this n my iPhone one night before the lesnar-couture fight, so I'll keep this somewhat brief.One advancement that I am very happy to see is that the warm up text has been significantly reduced. Same warm up time as the ssv. Can't wait til he ships out the rest of his vhws to read more reviews

13. max

Well, I could say I knew the review was there, which I did, since I've read every post on that forum. But relocating it was much easier with a google search for 'hot glass vaporizer'. ;)

A final comment from the reviewer/owner:
    Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006
    I owned a hot glass for a little while. Very fragile. I dropped mine and it broke into a million pieces. It worked pretty well. They are cool if you already own a nice bong and just bring it out once in a while but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use if your clumsy. Also contact information is unavailable. I wanted to try and get replacement parts for mine and couldn't get a reply.

14. DigitalDavinci

DigitalDavinci Vapohaulic

I continue to hover around this thread like a child infront of a candy store. I want one so bad (VRIP WAND), but the cost to get everythinfg else I'll need to use it is just too much. On my list but I'll have to pay 33% more, for times are just too tough these days. I jope to hear some more good things about the VRIP beauty. This other one is nice, but I'd still have to go with the VRIP. I know this is a bit out of place in this thread, but then again so am I. :ko:

DD

15. stonemonkey55

dd, I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling the impact of the financial crisis as well. Email mark at vriptech and see if he'll hold one for you. Hey are small enough to handle individual requests. I know he has a soft spot for hose hat are proactive in the vapor community so it doesn't hurt to ask

16. stonemonkey55

Some feedback from Mark at VRIPtech regarding the GonG topic

17. stonemonkey55

Hey guys, so there has been a slight modification to the VHW. They are now adding a silicon sleeve on the outside which will serve a couple of purposes:

You will get burned less by mistakenly grabbing the wrong side (maybe you shouldn't be vaping if you grab the wrong end LOL, but I've seen it happen)

Some additional protection from broken glass if dropped

More thermal mass to help maintain temperature even better

Makes a tighter seal with the intake bowl

Results? You guessed it, even better performance than before. It was always very forgiving to different inhalation types, now it is even more forgiving. The sleeve does not get in the way of the vapor path, so it is still all glass vapor path. The tighter seal seems to slightly improve the vapor to air ratio as well. My fave vape just got a little bit better :brow:

PS - didn't even notice my old Aromazap in the background LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. spikyvape

spikyvape Well-Known Member

Great news man !

For handeling it seems better, looks are less, but who cares

Do you know wenn they ship haha, the days are long the last 2 weeks haha ;)

19. stonemonkey55

Spikey, delays, delays, delays. Mark says that he wants to do it right, which I can definitely respect. They are creating the tooling so that they can create standardized pieces without much variation. He is doing quite a bit of research and trial and error to make sure that this performs significantly better than just putting a glass sleeve on top of soldering iron.

The thicker glass, the silicone sleeve, even the angle of the intake holes have been optimized for the ultimate vaping experience. I wish I could say that it will be out next week, but better to wait and get an optimal performing one, then getting an early one that needs to be sent back for an upgrade?.
    :/

20. captainwolf

captainwolf Well-Known Member

I don't like the silicon sleeve, is it removable?
    Also, does anyone know if you have to use a metal screen with the VCB bowl?

21. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect ? & beyond

That silicone sleeve does seem strange....

What worries me is heat from the element warming it up and maybe giving off fumes or something? I mean, it's basically a 'ceramic and glass heating element silicone burrito'. :p

Still, I'm keeping my eye on this product.... hopefully they will be out and running before x-mas for a gift to myself. :brow: Thanks for the updates stonemonkey55.

22. stonemonkey55

The silicon sleeve is removable and is made of the ultra high temp (400 degree +) Tygon silicone and is out of the way of the vapor/air path. He chose to include it for safety reasons and although it does ruin the aesthetics, it does have practical purposes. The increased thermal mass allows it to keep a steadier temperature than before, and the sleeve also provides a seal with the intake piece. It's not a GG connection, but it makes a noticeable difference and you can see higher vapor to air ratio when you exhale.

It worked great before, it works better with the sleeve. You can always take it off if you want to be able to see the beautiful glass work. I'm going to keep mine on just for safety reasons, kinda like having a protective cover for your cell phone but with some added functionality. Next Tuesday I can find out if he got the final pieces ready for full production.

23. max

The same type sleeve is on the Extreme cyclone bowl. Shouldn't be a problem. Stainless steel screens certainly aren't.

24. captainwolf

captainwolf Well-Known Member

That's exactly my concern spiral. If that sleeve is stuck on there, I am going to pass on this product, even though I am very excited about it to tell the truth.
    I would also love if he had an attachment that could make it hands free. I know its a little big for that and could pose issues. Hands free with no thermocouple = combustion if it sits there heating. But he is a smart guy and I think he could figure out a way to space it, so hands free could work. Even if vapor quality went slightly down, he is still answering to a large market with hands free. He could go a box style route and have a box to insert it in and attach a GG whip with glass tube for extra $50-$75... Optional of course. What you guys think?

25. KeepCalm

KeepCalm Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer

I think wands and hands-free devices are two separate products with slightly differing functionality. I could own both a wand/bong setup and an Herborizer type setup. In fact I plan on it. Wands are fun to use! I think focusing on getting the wand just right is the way to do it.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors