virtualpurple

Does anyone use the concentrate pad in the solid valve setup or does that little plate and screen that you can push down hold the herb secure enough.

I am not a volcano owner, but I bought the solid valve kit for use with my herbalizer and want to maximize my vapor density.

I'm curious what people consider to be the optimal amount of herb.

virtualpurple,
Reactions: olysh pops

rshetts

The solid valve works just fine for small loads. Well enough that Ive never even considered using the pad as filler. I have used the pad in easy valves and that does seem to improve the vapor quality.

You guys are awesome!! Right after watching the video @Stu posted, I realized that no health risk should even be posed by a misaligned pump. The system seems so well closed that, regardless of the pump, the air path should stay perfectly sealed. Maybe dropping it could change this, but just spinning it around upside down while the pump's on shouldn't compromise the air intake/exhaust.

And @strictly vapor I'm glad to know someone else experienced this exact same situation, thanks for chiming in. Reading your and @mrbonsai420 's replies the other day really helped reassure me it was still okay and safe to use.

I ended up upgrading my Classic to a Digit afterwards, but so far I'm not too fond of it as compared to my short time with the Classic. I can't stand the buttons (as opposed to switches on the Classic) and the control light. But I'm really not a fan of the Digit always being 'on' while it's plugged in, hell you can even turn on the pump after turning off the volcano. I planned on leaving it always plugged in, but the LCD screen is annoying when it's in this idle state... plus I'm sure its adding wear to the electronics, maybe explaining why everyone says the Digit breaks like 4 times more often than the Classic. I wish I could have tested the Digit beforehand, then I wouldn't have swapped - but whatever! At least I have a working Volcano to come home to every day and that's all that matters :D

LOL @Vitolo !! :D Now I'll make sure never to tip my new digi for the sake of humanity.

Thcgos

Vape Addict
You guys are awesome!! Right after watching the video @Stu posted, I realized that no health risk should even be posed by a misaligned pump. The system seems so well closed that, regardless of the pump, the air path should stay perfectly sealed. Maybe dropping it could change this, but just spinning it around upside down while the pump's on shouldn't compromise the air intake/exhaust.

And @strictly vapor I'm glad to know someone else experienced this exact same situation, thanks for chiming in. Reading your and @mrbonsai420 's replies the other day really helped reassure me it was still okay and safe to use.

I ended up upgrading my Classic to a Digit afterwards, but so far I'm not too fond of it as compared to my short time with the Classic. I can't stand the buttons (as opposed to switches on the Classic) and the control light. But I'm really not a fan of the Digit always being 'on' while it's plugged in, hell you can even turn on the pump after turning off the volcano. I planned on leaving it always plugged in, but the LCD screen is annoying when it's in this idle state... plus I'm sure its adding wear to the electronics, maybe explaining why everyone says the Digit breaks like 4 times more often than the Classic. I wish I could have tested the Digit beforehand, then I wouldn't have swapped - but whatever! At least I have a working Volcano to come home to every day and that's all that matters :D

LOL @Vitolo !! :D Now I'll make sure never to tip my new digi for the sake of humanity.

The device eventually times out, after 1 hour I think, and once the temp drops below 40c it goes into standby. The display will turn off with, just a single "•" on the lcd display.

Alternatively you can switch it off at the outlet switch.
Not a huge deal IMHO.

rshetts

Im confused about the "digit is always on" comment. In fact its the Classic that is always on. The Digit has an auto shut off for the heat element, the Classic does not. For me thats far more important than a single LED dot being on. As far as being able to turn on the fan even when the oven is off? Not sure what thats about, thats like saying a light switch is always on even when its off because it still has electricity flowing through it. You still have to engage the switch to use electricity. Same with the Volcano fan. If all of that really bothers you, take a second and pull the plug. Problem solved.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hi,
please clarify. On which Volcano can you have it off/heat off and still run the fan?
I think he wrote the response you are asking for.
But I'm really not a fan of the Digit always being 'on' while it's plugged in, hell you can even turn on the pump after turning off the volcano.
All Digital Volcanos can have pump turned on and produce an airflow without "turning on the power" as long as it is plugged in.
You can fill a bag with cool air if you chose.

MinnBobber

But I'm really not a fan of the Digit always being 'on' while it's plugged in, hell you can even turn on the pump after turning off the volcano.
Hey @Vitolo ,
I was asking because the sentence dealt with NOT being a fan of the digital and listing "you can even turn the pump on after turning off the volcano" which is a big plus for me. So sought clarification, if they really were talking about the Digital.

Ind pump is a big plus for me as I'm hoping to make a better system for using Volcano with hydratubes, whips, and bubblers. And since one cannot draw thru Volcano when off, ind fan would allow clearing of whip/ HT/ bubbler without disconnecting piece. I like that ind air pump feature.

My mission is to expand Volcano beyond "one trick pony" ;)
It's too good to miss out on other techniques!!

rshetts

Hey @Vitolo ,
I was asking because the sentence dealt with NOT being a fan of the digital and listing "you can even turn the pump on after turning off the volcano" which is a big plus for me. So sought clarification, if they really were talking about the Digital.

Ind pump is a big plus for me as I'm hoping to make a better system for using Volcano with hydratubes, whips, and bubblers. And since one cannot draw thru Volcano when off, ind fan would allow clearing of whip/ HT/ bubbler without disconnecting piece. I like that ind air pump feature.

My mission is to expand Volcano beyond "one trick pony" ;)
It's too good to miss out on other techniques!!

Be sure to post pictures of your creation once it lives, its cool to see how innovative people can be.

MinnBobber

Solid Valve question: ????

The valve is a steel tube that slides and has an internal spring. Has anyone put in a different spring with way less pressure OR removed the spring altogether? For one project I'd like no spring or very very little spring action.

Thanks

strictly vapor

I think he wrote the response you are asking for.

All Digital Volcanos can have pump turned on and produce an airflow without "turning on the power" as long as it is plugged in.
You can fill a bag with cool air if you chose.

My analog volcano will also run the fan when the heat is off (while plugged in), so I think the only difference with the digital display is theres a visual indication it has power vs no indication with the analog. They are both receiving power.

Hi,
please clarify. On which Volcano can you have it off/heat off and still run the fan?

You can do this on both models.

(mods: please add this to my original post) Modnote: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Vapinmofo

So... After a month of fooling around I got around to sending in the Volcano Classic.
They repaired everything they could. (new switches and feet, filters).
They offered to sell me a NEW classic with a Valve for basically 2X the repair and a new valve cost.

I think I maybe should have gone for it because the tech from S and B told me that the unit only blows 5L/min and a new one blows 12L/min.

Anyway its a Volcano Classic they say its working and thats good enough for me.

BTW
When asked what kind of Valve I wanted I asked the S and B tech his opinion.
He VERY strongly suggested the EASY valve. Calling it superior to the Solid.

I know there are strong opinions on this here. I Ordered an easy Valve. I have some prime MIDDLEFORK from Washington waiting to be loaded into my brain.

GO FOR IT!!
Vapinmofo

Vitolo

Vaporist
I Ordered an easy Valve
I would have done the same.
I had a solid valve and an EZ Valve operating side by side for 2 years, before I finally determined the EZ Valve to be superior for my needs.
Also for the cleanup, and ease of use.
Also for the stability of the actual valve, which clicks in place instead of relying on Weight and gravity to keep it seated while bag blows up.
On an aside note... the guy that got my solid valve Volcano, within a month got and EZ Valve setup, and gave his solid valve and bag material to me to give away to a patient in need.

rshetts

Also for the stability of the actual valve, which clicks in place instead of relying on Weight and gravity to keep it seated while bag blows up.

It baffles me that S&B has not addressed this issue with the solid valve. I like the Solid valve ( I have both solid and easy sets ) for a lot of reasons like the height adjusting screen that allows for smaller loads but the stability of the valve as it fills is its biggest detractor. The thing is all that would be needed to fix this issue is 3 tabs on the bottom of the bowl to stabilize it when filling.

Vapinmofo

So my Volcano arrived a day early!
I opened the box and the machine looks new. It is not it is my old unit with the switches fixed, cleaned up, tested. Fine.
It is not the fastest at filling the balloon. it takes a minute and 30-45 seconds to fill the bag nicely. Vapor production is awesome!
I am used to using a Crafty. They are not in the same league.

Anyway. This Volcano was a found item. In the ally behind my old apartment. It then sat at a buddies house for 2 or three or 4 years. Unused. I recently got it back. Finally sending it in for repair. Repair cost was $50.00. I ordered a easy valve kit. So for like $159.00 I got a pretty good classic volcano. They offered me a NEW unit with my valve choice for $299.00. Great deal. but I did not need it.

I am very pleased with the service, I received a call to explain my options. Made it easy to pay.

BTW I am using the classic with the temperature knob just to the right of Noon. One of these moments I will pull out the IR temp meter and measure it.

Crafty gets relegated to on the go use.
Vapinmofo

DorianGray

welcome to the volcano!

a minute and half to fill the balloon is a long time, it takes mine about 25 seconds.

After you've played around with your IR temp meter you can tell us how accurate this chart is!
G_volcano-vaporizer-classic_7-1.jpg

Last edited:

Vapinmofo

welcome to the volcano!

a minute and half to fill the balloon is a long time, it takes mine about 25 seconds.

After you've played around with your IR temp meter you can tell us how accurate this chart is!
G_volcano-vaporizer-classic_7-1.jpg
The tech told me the flow rate was low @ 5L/m . Standard is 12L/m. Mine is low. But very functional. Remember it's a found object.
Vapinmofo

DorianGray

that might be a good thing. a slower flow rate would mean that the vapour spends more time in the chamber before its pushed out and into the bag by incoming air. Resulting in a higher ratio of vapour to air in the bag. Meaning, more dense vapour for you. :rockon:

You may have what many of us have been wishing for.

Last edited:

Vapinmofo

that might be a good thing. a slower flow rate would mean that the vapour spends more time in the chamber before its pushed out and into the bag by incoming air. Resulting in a higher ratio of vapour to air in the bag. Meaning, more dense vapour for you. :rockon:

You may have what many of us have been wishing for.

It is funny that you would say this.
A friend came by and tried a volcano for the first time. he uses another Bag filling Vaporizer.
He was impressed by the balloon filling time (at about a minute 45 to 2 minutes) the temp I use is just to the right of noon.. like 1:00 ish. Its not exact on the classic it seems. Anyway we got three balloons from about a teaspoon of hi grade cannabis. the first was very impressive as to its taste and it effect. second bag was maybe stronger in effect than the first, good taste but slight "woody" taste. third bag temp set to almost 2:00. thickest vapor most woody not burnt not as smooth as the first two.

My friend commented on the fill time being "slow" as I put it was actually a good thing.

He said that the Volcano was head and shoulders above his home machine.

For me I love the smells and vapors that come out of the filling unit when it first starts blowing air. the sage is strong amazing. the first bag flavors are fantastic. I feel that it is important to empty the bag and not fool around. hit it pass it do it quick. Bagged vapor does not stay fresh testing long IMHO.

Vapor density? I do not know enough yet to really know what "too dense" means. I know it exists.

In the short time I have had my Volcano up and running it has impressed three people.

Slow fill? If this is a "thing" why does S and B use 12L/M as a great fill rate? Why not allow a variable fill like the variable temperature? Anybody Modify a Volcano with a variable air flow?

vapinmofo

Vapinmofo

So it has now been all of three days since the Repaired Volcano arrived.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that for me Vapor is the only way. I have been vapor only for a long time the Volcano completely confirms it for me.

The Volcano is more efficient than my crafty. Which I thought was pretty darn efficient.
The volcano is different in that When medicating The vapor from a balloon Just works better and lasts longer and does it with less cannabis.
A 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon of fine grind cannabis gives me three tasty 2 foot bags. The temp knob is set around 1 o'clock. The first bag is the best tasting. The second bag has the best effect. The third re enforces the effect with a lighter taste but can have some "woody" taste or flavor. For me the third bag is mostly unnecessary. If I am going to get to where I need to be on ONE bag most of the time but ill put two away because I can. Sitting there and sucking in three bags of vapor SOLO in one sitting? not necessary with a Volcano. That really is the point. My use is dropping a little with the Volcano. I hope it drops more reflecting the efficiency of the Volcano
I MUCH preferred using the Crafty at between 355 and 365. I have yet to measure the temperature of the air coming out of the volcano. It is not TOO hot I know that. I think the temps on the Volcano must be higher than the Crafty. The effects are stronger. One of these days I will measure temp. I can't imagine that it has not been done before.

Are these quantities and flavor descriptions in line with all of your experiences?

Any hot tips? I am all ears.
I love how efficiently the Volcano does what it does. the great taste! the prime effects.

Here is a silly question. Have you ever received a BUD that was so so pretty and smelled so so so good that you couldn't bring yourself to vaporize it?
I Hate when that happens.

vapinmofo

Vapinmofo,
Reactions: grokit

Vitolo

Vaporist
Every time I get something special, I end up saving a small nugget for the right time, and it loses its smell before I get to using it!
Agreed, and "been there". I have saved pea sized "nugs" that wind up sitting for 3-4 years just to remember that strain.
Some smell is gone.... once in a while I get surprised!

Top Bottom