• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Konrad_Zuse

neilito said:
First of all, some forum contributors should try to be less antagonistic. It's so passe. Life is short, make somebody happy.

Now, my story. I agree that the volcano is overpriced and I think it's a cool idea to try out a bunch of different vapes instead. Personally, I chose the volcano because my first vaporizer was the vapir and it had major combustion problems. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the quote-unquote cadillac model because it pissed me off that I had wasted my money on the first product (in fact, it's sitting in a box in my basement). I still don't think the cano is that expensive if it is saving you from smoking. Cost of well-being: priceless.

I'm sure there are many awesome vapes out there and I've read about many of them. But for me, caveat emptor led me to choose a model that was time-tested and well-received. I have since decided on a PD as well because of its beauty, utility, efficacy, and reliable reputation. I think in this instance and with other quality vapes, any comparison is less a matter of either/or and more a case of both/and. Let's all celebrate the Age of Vapor. B. Y. O. V.

Peace and all that jazz

JAH RASTAFARI

neilito
That's cool if you want to spend 700$ on a vape, but to me when there are soo many alternatives, which do MORE than just bags, I would look for an alternative. That's my 2 cents, and I know that you can because I just spend about 700$ on various things. Yes in the end it will save you cash, but thats waaaay down the road.

Konrad_Zuse,

StickyShisha2

we hardly use our volcano anymore, now that we have the EQ. Multiple fan speeds lets you fill a bag as thick as you want.

StickyShisha2,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
neilito said:
First of all, some forum contributors should try to be less antagonistic. It's so passe. Life is short, make somebody happy.

Now, my story. I agree that the volcano is overpriced and I think it's a cool idea to try out a bunch of different vapes instead. Personally, I chose the volcano because my first vaporizer was the vapir and it had major combustion problems. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the quote-unquote cadillac model because it pissed me off that I had wasted my money on the first product (in fact, it's sitting in a box in my basement). I still don't think the cano is that expensive if it is saving you from smoking. Cost of well-being: priceless.

I'm sure there are many awesome vapes out there and I've read about many of them. But for me, caveat emptor led me to choose a model that was time-tested and well-received. I have since decided on a PD as well because of its beauty, utility, efficacy, and reliable reputation. I think in this instance and with other quality vapes, any comparison is less a matter of either/or and more a case of both/and. Let's all celebrate the Age of Vapor. B. Y. O. V.

Peace and all that jazz

JAH RASTAFARI

neilito
well said!

stickstones,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
I have extensive use with an EQ and Volcano. I use an EQ daily and a volcano every week at some point or another.

Both are good vapes and it would be tough to choose one over the other....so I'm not going to do that. Instead I'll include my list of thoughts about each. I'd like to think I'm not biased, so if anyway is actually trying to decide between the 'cano and the EQ or something...maybe I can help.

So, without further ado....in my humble opinion:

The Volcano is the best vape I have used. Here is why: it simply gets me medicated the fastest and the best with the littlest amount. It is a very simple machine that is designed to work one way and it works that one way perfectly in my opinion.

KEEP IN MIND I'M NOT SAYING THE OTHER MACHINES DON'T WORK WELL

The 'cano is expensive, but its going to produce the same results every time, and that is something I really enjoy. It also seems that the volcano is ready to produce vapor faster then my EQ. If i try to hit my bowl in the EQ before the proper warm up time (about 5 minutes, it doesn't bother me, but its something that should be noted) I am not 100% with my results.

I like the EQ over the volcano for its dual abilities (obviously). Much bigger hits can be produced through the EQ with is a plus. If the vape is warm, you can set it on 220* put the fan on two with about a 1/4 bowl and do what I call a 'vape snapper'. A nice big cloud that will instantly getting you feeling good. The 'cano is going to require a bit of a session to get all out of it.

So those are my thoughts for now. I'll probably eat my Subway, take an elbow and then write more.

finchrock24,
Reactions: kite26

lwien

finchrock24 said:
Here is why: it simply gets me medicated the fastest and the best with the littlest amount.
So are you saying that with the EQ in bag mode, by comparison, the 'Cano is more efficient?

lwien,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Lwien...it is ultimately going to come down to the person and herb. However, I get the same quality bud (Hell, you know where I buy my shit!) and I do get a chance to use both units often, so for me I fell I have a pretty solid conclusion. The herb that is being smoked out of the EQ and 'Cano are the exact same.

Bag mode: I'm not sure which is more effecient...its like this: The EQ you can milk the bag slow and put it on speed 1 to get a THICK bag of the TASTIEST vapor ever, but every bag after that significantly declines (still good though, don't get me wrong). The 'cano bag WILL NOT be as thick (unless you crank up the temp, but I like to avoid doing that) but it will provide consistent vapor in 3 or 4 bags, something the I can't get the EQ to do.

Granted, I haven't tried very hard to find the best techniqe with bags on the EQ. I think I'll do some tests and try and replicate the 'canos results. If I lower the temp and raise the fan speed its possible the EQ could come close, but my hypothesis is that it won't be quite as good.

Lwien, are you thinking of purchasing either unit?

finchrock24,

stinkmeaner

finchrock24 said:
The Volcano is the best vape I have used. Here is why: it simply gets me medicated the fastest and the best with the littlest amount. It is a very simple machine that is designed to work one way and it works that one way perfectly in my opinion.
You would be amazed to try some other vapes if you think the Volcano is efficient, I am not saying it is not great, the machine is built like a tank and well engineered but from an efficiency standpoint, lets just put it like this; the Volcano is not meant for small amounts, period. In fact the least I have added to make a thick tasty bag was probably close to .4 of a gram.

It is a great vaporizer for a party environment and when you load it full it can get many people medicated and that is where it comes into its element and really starts to shine, but for many Volcano users eventually finding other options, it's a good thing they have a great resale value on EBay.

stinkmeaner,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
stinkmeaner said:
lets just put it like this; the Volcano is not meant for small amounts, period. In fact the least I have added to make a thick tasty bag was probably close to .4 of a gram.
That I will have to disagree with. I like the rest of your statement, but I personally loaded the 'cano I used last session and their wasn't more then .2 or .3. Now I know we are talking about a .1 of a gram but you bring up another good point. The bowl on the 'cano is huge...you could probably cram like 2 grams into it. I personally have never done it and wouldn't, but some people might like to load it up for a big party or maybe so they don't have to refill the bowl for a day or two.

However, next time I'm using the volcano, I can weigh out how much meds I'm using and I'll let you know what the number is.

finchrock24,

lwien

finchrock24 said:
Nope. Just curious as to how well other vapes work in specific categories.

lwien,

stinkmeaner

Sure you can use less in the Volcano but that quickly relates to how thick the vapor gets and how many hits in general you get compared to loading the same amount in another vaporizer. I will try later and see what .2 does and maybe .3 if I am feel up to it, this way I can compare vapor density which is critical for most ex smokers to get satisfaction from the experience.

stinkmeaner,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
lwien said:
finchrock24 said:
Well I think, in the specific bag catagory, the 'cano has to win out. It is overall simpler to use I think. Pretty much just set and forget it. Don't even really need to stir bowls up if you don't want to. ABV comes out extremely even tone...which I think is a sign of good vapor production. And the fact that I get the same results every time with the 'cano (and there are good results!) and that is something I can't do with my EQ all the time.

finchrock24,

Mckdenton

I used the cano for the 1st time A couple weeks ago when i went to pick up some herb from a new guy. after fillin up several large bags of various strains, i was impressed. compared to my extreme the volcano filled up way bigger bags way quicker (and very tasty). but it is very expensive and now purchased 3 vapes for the price of the cano. But i wouldn't doubt if the cano joined the family one day.

Mckdenton,

stinkmeaner

finchrock24 said:
lwien said:
finchrock24 said:
Well I think, in the specific bag catagory, the 'cano has to win out. It is overall simpler to use I think. Pretty much just set and forget it. Don't even really need to stir bowls up if you don't want to. ABV comes out extremely even tone...which I think is a sign of good vapor production. And the fact that I get the same results every time with the 'cano (and there are good results!) and that is something I can't do with my EQ all the time.
If you think the Volcano is efficient then you should really try the HerbalAire, with this vaporizer you do not even have to break up the herbs, I have actually taken the remains from a Volcano sesh and get another bag or two of vapor when loaded in the HerbalAire. The think the Volcano has going for it over the HerbalAire is the looks, the fact the pump is separate, and not having a valve on the mouthpiece, but I am growing curious if the Zephyr Ion valve/mouthpiece will fit on the HerbalAire, if it does I then the Volcano might find itself on Ebay.

stinkmeaner,

HumanBeing

Evening all!

I've searched already but all I seem to get are mostly posts on DIY vaps for using with hash - which is out for me since my right arm no longer works properly due to a spinal injury incurred because of undetected osteoporosis. This injury also causes severe chronic spinal pain which the clinic doctors have tried everything for and nothing works. Basically, I'm now on my own with this problem.

I've found smoking bowls of hash to be very beneficial however. Only trouble is my chest is shot from a lifetime of cigarettes and after even one hit of the bowl I'm afraid I'm gonna cough my lungs out onto the floor. Plus the danger of snapping yet another vertebra.

So a vaporizer it is. I've decided on a Volcano Digital because I've researched enough to know they work well, they last long (probably longer than I will), and they look like a kitchen appliance should the wrong kind of person decide to pay me a visit.

My question (at last): you can't get grass where I live. ANY kind of grass. It's hash or a hike. So will the Volcano work well enough with hash? I know you have to grind it down small but I do that anyway by heating it gently first.

I'd really appreciate your nuggets of wisdom and experience, gentle folks.

I'm buying tomorrow.

HumanBeing,

anoncaster

I would go with loose kief unpressed if possible hash tends to clog up the works if it is full melt.

anoncaster,

HumanBeing

Many thanks for your response, anoncaster. Kief is not available where I come from. Like I said, it's hash or move to Amsterdam.

However, I normally crush it down to a pretty fine powder unless it's very oily, in which case I break it down into tiny balls. I'm smoking very fine quality Lebanese Blonde right now, which is quite powdery.

HumanBeing,

StickyShisha2

the pad thing that came with the volcano didn't work too well for hash that melts (imo), but worked fine for scissor hash.

StickyShisha2,

HumanBeing

Thank you for your reply, StickyShisha. I don't know what "scissor hash" is but I'll go on the assumption that it's hash that's well broken down - or up, as the case may be :)

If this doesn't work, the only alternative I'll have left is to eat it raw (I can't bake for nuts). Not too keen on going there since a stoner doctor friend told me you can contract hepatitis B doing that if any of the field workers had cuts or spat on their hands while harvesting. Like I haven't enough problems already...

If all else fails, I'll sodding well move to Amsterdam. :D

Thanks again for the encouraging response.

HumanBeing,

StickyShisha2

:D "scissor hash" is what scrapes off the scissors when trimming bud. you end up with about a cup of these magical, aspirin sizes hashballs in two weeks of trimming.

StickyShisha2,

Derf

Vaporizers don't work too well with hash in my experience. The reason being, that the hash is all the oil-filled trichromes pressed into a brick. The surface area on it isn't very great, and even when breaking it up into little bits, the has tends to melt rather than vaporize into the airstream.

Just some suggestions, in no particular order.

If you want to get a digital vaporizer that is LIKE the volcano digital but costs less, consider the Extreme Vape or the Zephyr Ion. They both have digital temperature control, fill bags, and can also work with whips/hoses like a hookah. I've seen lots of positive reviews on BOTH these models, and you could save a lot of money if you get something other than the digi volcano.

Since you only have hash available to you, would you consider baking with it? If you make some edibles you'll still get your pain relief, the trade-offs will be slower onset and longer lasting, but in your case this may be beneficial.

If you really want to try to vape hash, the best thing I could think to suggest would be to rub it on a microplane or even a box grater to shred the block/brick up into as many fine particles as possible. Also consider using some sort of cotton batting or silk-screen material below the hash to capture it in-case it melts before it vaporizes so it doesn't melt down into the internals of the vaporizer.

There may be better vaporizers that would work better for hash at the expense of some of the other features available (digital temperature control, forced-air pumps, etc). Something like the Ubie
ubie.jpg

just because it will be easy to clean, and you wont have to worry about hash melting down into the internal components.

Derf,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
I primarily use pressed hash with my DBV, it works quite well. By the end of the session all there is left is 1/4th amount of odorless powder not sticky anymore powder. An SSV would work even better for the concentrated air flow and downward angle will both help immensely.

audiodelic,

HumanBeing

Many thanks to you all for your thoughtful and helpful responses.

@StickyShisha - oops! Sorry, my ignorance is showing. I don't think I've ever even SEEN bud in my lifetime, let alone trimmed it.

@Derf - Again, my choice of vaporizer is constrained by where I have to live. Last time I checked, it was a choice between the Volcano and a couple of what looked like home-made doodahs for about 40 or 50. I don't know about you but my experience has always been that if I buy cheap, I end up buying twice.

Baking IS a possibility, but in all honesty, since I'm liable to set the kitchen on fire if I try to boil water, I'd really have to sign up for an instruction course. I think you need two good arms for that, and since mobility can also be a problem sometimes, I'm not sure I could handle it.

With regard to preparation of material, here's what I do: I break off a piece big enough for a bowl and put it on a spoon and heat it until I see vapour rising. It can then be rolled/crushed between the fingers - if it's dry hash, it'll break down and expand into a light, fluffy powder, and if it's oily, it'll roll out into long thin "snakes." I don't think a grater or shredder could get it much finer.

I'd be aftraid to use any textile as a base, but wouldn't a bed of dried mint or basil serve just as well? And since I've decided to use the vap for tobacco too (yes, I can't give it up, I'm ashamed to say, despite all the damage), I could also try using it as a bed for the hash.

@lwien - thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm extremely liable to drop small things like the Essential because of my arm/hand. At least if I drop a balloon I'm not gonna set the house ablaze. :)

@audiodelic - again, wand-based vaps could be a problem with my misbehaving arm/hand. As things stand, I have to smoke my bowls standing over the kitchen sink. It's another reason I was so attracted to the balloon-based Volcano.

Well, guys, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm about to leave and go pick this (whatever it is) up. Maybe the sales guy will have other suggestions. I'm very grateful to you all for taking the time and effort to help.

I'll let you know how I get on.

HumanBeing,

HumanBeing

@aero18 - I'm sorry, I've no idea what you mean. Isn't a skillet some class of frying-pan? I'm a complete newcomer to vaping.

But here's the report I promised, in case anyone's interested.

I explained my needs to the shop manager. He asked me something I hadn't even considered: do I smoke outside my home? Well, of course I do. I'm a dummy for not thinking of that.

So he recommended I buy TWO vaps - the Volcano, for home use, and the iolite, for elsewhere. There wasn't a Volcano Digit in stock. But if I bought the Volcano Classic he'd throw in an iolite, all for less than the price of the Digit. So I ended up getting both for 465. I'm also ordering a hands-free kit for the iolite so I can put it in my pocket when outdoors and not worry about dropping it.

I know I could probably have got a better deal online. But the plan was always to walk out of a shop with a package under my arm rather than deal with any knowing glances at my local post office (the smaller the minds, the bigger the mouths).

The vaping experience?

Volcano - hash: I removed the two screens and repaced them with the "brillo" pad. Using finely powdered material (enough for a bursting lungful from my old hash-pipe), I set the unit to 6 (190 deg C - 374 deg F).

I couldn't tell if there was any mist being produced or if the slight haze was just the effect of the balloon material, but there was a gorgeous flavour, a faint catch in the throat, and very little, if any, visible exhalation. I burned this a total of five times, each time increasing the temp until the final burn at 9 (226 deg C - 439 def F). At no time did the misting increase and I began to think there was something wrong with the unit until I realised I was pretty ripped. But in a different way to smoking.

The pain-killing kicked in faster than usual. Mood elevation seemed slower, but eventually more powerful, and the high was largely cerebral rather than physical. What was missing was what I call the thug hit - that physical kick in the head you get from smoking. But when I thought about it, it dawned on me that this "thug" effect could be due to blood gas/pressure changes due to the toxic by-products of combustion.

iolite - hash: there's no way to change the factory configuration (temp is set to 190 deg C - 374 deg F). I used the same amount of hash as above. Again, flavour was the pleasant surprise, but there seemed to be more exhaled mist than with the Volcano. And it seemed to last forever, with each toke registering a definite hit. Wonderful!

Volcano - tobacco: using Old Holborn rolling tobacco, I reconfigured the Volcano with the two screens replaced and the pad removed and burned at 6. Again, little, if any, sign of visible mist either in the balloon or my exhalations. But the tobacco flavour was there as well as the catch in the throat. One-third of what I'd put in a roll-up cigarette was used and it satisfied my nicotine hunger almost completely. I reburned four times, increasing the temp a notch each time until the final burn at 7 (202 deg C - 396 deg F).

Tobacco doesn't seem to reburn as well as hash since the last two reburns yielded no effects. Perhaps its volatile elements simply vaporise quicker? Or maybe I need to change to a different type of tobacco?

iolite - tobacco: same amount as above and, again, the iolite produced more visible mist and almost fully satisfied my nicotine need. Also, as with the Volcano, tobacco doesn't vaporise for nearly as long as hash.

Conclusions: Why the hell didn't I discover vaping years ago?

Seriously though, I'm a confirmed convert. I still have work to do on finding the best settings for both hash and tobacco on the Volcano. But it's great not having to worry about clothing, carpet, and furniture burns because of the balloon. The iolite is a revelation though, and it means I can now get my nicotine hit when I'm in hospital, on a train or bus, or in a pub, without breaking any laws or riling the health nazis.

One thing I don't understand, though, is a post on tobacco I found here while researching that stated that burning at 175 deg C produced a "thick, milky mist" in the bag when all I got at 190 deg C was a very faint haze. It wasn't a Volcano but a different vap the gentleman was using. Can't find that post now.

Not to worry. I'm sure I'll figure it out with time. But thanks again for all your help and insights, guys. I'm indebted to you.

Top Bottom