momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Pork Souvlaki

11r9hkx.jpg

Lamb Kapama

nlwhmx.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
Started reducing a huge amount of chicken stock to make a proper Veloute tonight, if all turns out correctly.

So the Veloute came out tasting mazing, like liquor of chicken, but a little darker than it has in the past. But tho sis the 1st time I've done it with organic free range chicken, which is a different color. The resultant chicken in sauce supreme with butter-Madeira sugar snaps and herbed brown rice came out pretty cool. The chicken came apart a bit, making the presentation a little sloppy :(.

jN9yI18.jpg

Last edited:

SD_haze

Took a 1lb bottom round steak that was -50% off on clearance,
smashed it up with a 70yr old meat tenderizer (spikey mallet),
breaded it in panko, flour, and cornmeal,
seasoned with fresh cracked peppercorns, cayenne, liquid smoke, and herbs de provence :p
and fried it in a big cast iron skillet in peanut oil.

Side of bok choy sauteed with lots of garlic.

Tonight...we dine!

t25XzCd.jpg

Verdict: Good, could be better. I'm new to frying even though the cast iron can do it so well.

arf777

No longer dogless
Haven't felt up to cooking for a while. But today, ran across something too good not to cook- actual fresh, non-water-injected king sea scallops. have literally not seen those since I last worked in a Michelin starred kitchen. Bought a half-dozen. Tonight- scallops en croute in a bacon-fat based armagnac-lemon cream (and a little heat). If I were serving it to anyone but me, it'd be garnished with lemon zest and fresh thyme or chervil.
Tomorrow gonna pull one out of Larousse for the other three.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Haven't felt up to cooking for a while. But today, ran across something too good not to cook- actual fresh, non-water-injected king sea scallops. have literally not seen those since I last worked in a Michelin starred kitchen. Bought a half-dozen. Tonight- scallops en croute in a bacon-fat based armagnac-lemon cream (and a little heat). If I were serving it to anyone but me, it'd be garnished with lemon zest and fresh thyme or chervil.
Tomorrow gonna pull one out of Larousse for the other three.

@arf777 . . . :drool:

I was gonna save this for a collage tomorrow on SuperBowl Sunday but I'll share a sneak peek now . . . :)

probe.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
@arf777 . . . :drool:

I was gonna save this for a collage tomorrow on SuperBowl Sunday but I'll share a sneak peek now . . . :)

probe.jpg
Pretty pretty pretty. That a wet rub you got going there?

I've had a brand new Brinkman cabinet smoker on my back porch for weeks, but it needs to be assembled and I can't do it alone. My brother won't help cuz he's a fucking vegan, despite my planning to smoke veggies as well as meat (and cheese). He's one of those weird vegans who won't eat tomatoes, potatoes and all sorts of other veggies (????).

arf777,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Pretty pretty pretty. That a wet rub you got going there?
Dry . . . it looks wet because its almost a cure and it pulls moisture out of the meat. Here is what I use, I swear by it. Just use Worcestershire sauce as a "pre-wash" and I mean liberally, then drain well and rub the crap outta your meat with this stuff and you will be happy, happy, happy . . . :luv:

http://texasbbqrub.com/
http://texasbbqrub.com/secretsrevealed.htm

I also love their BBQ gloves . . .

Last edited:
t-dub,
Reactions: SD_haze

arf777

No longer dogless
Dry . . . it looks wet because its almost a cure and it pulls moisture out of the meat. Here is what I use, I swear by it. Just use Worcestershire sauce as a "pre-wash" and I mean liberally, then drain well and rub the crap outta your meat with this stuff and you will be happy, happy, happy . . . :luv:

http://texasbbqrub.com/
http://texasbbqrub.com/secretsrevealed.htm

I also love their BBQ gloves . . .

I'll try that when I don't have the time to play.

But I'm a trained chef and lived in North Carolina for a decade. My French master would literally spin in his grave (he died last year) if he knew I'd ever used a pre-mixed anything. And my Carolina friends would shoot me for using a Texas rub. Though I can admit here, Texas does the best beef bbq.

arf777,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I'll try that when I don't have the time to play. But I'm a trained chef and lived in North Carolina for a decade. My French master would literally spin in his grave (he died last year) if he knew I'd ever used a pre-mixed anything. And my Carolina friends would shoot me for using a Texas rub. Though I can admit here, Texas does the best beef bbq.
Don't knock it till you try it. When I bring my bbq out to events, Duck tailgaters and such, people always ask if I would consider catering or doing this for $$$ and I have to politely decline. Its that good. They don't grind/mix the spice until you order it . . . :)

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Don't knock it till you try it. When I bring my bbq out to events, Duck tailgaters and such, people always ask if I would consider catering or doing this for $$$ and I have to politely decline. Its that good. They don't grind/mix the spice until you order it . . . :)

"They don't grind/mix the spice until you order it . .."- That is SERIOUS. I'm sure it kicks ass and I am going to try it- those guys really seem to know their shit. And the method is certainly solid- the worcestershire plus dry rub will give the chemical reactions you want. It is purely the thought of my master looking over my shoulder that will make me feel guilty. Since he died I mix my own Old Bay half the time, and I live in Maryland - he didn't even use that pre-made. Made his own vinegar. Even made his own worcestershire sometimes. I haven't gone that far recently, but if I still had access to a pro kitchen i probably would. After his first yartzeit (death anniversary) I'll probably go back to some shortcuts he wouldn't approve of.

Anyone on here in the DC area and want to help a cripple put together a big-ass smoker? I'll provide smoked meats, cheeses, veggies and homemade BBQ sauce for a year in exchange. And bacon. And I'll throw in a couple of serious French multi-course meals. And of course vapables.

arf777

No longer dogless
Decided to do a truly unabridged Escoffier coquille St Jacques, as he did it at the Ritz. Only weirdness is i had no shells to serve it in, so i used radichio leaves. Left off the gruyere on top, as the crappy American gruyere I have at the moment would not work on such pretty scallops.

Looks like a hollandaise but isn't. Like an Allemande, but made with a reduction of the white wine and mushroom fumet the scallops were poached in. Garnished with cacao tomatoes.

I really need better plates, with ramekins and such. I always hate my presentation on these ugly ones.

djonkoman

g6G6zp4.jpg

the meat is horsesteak. have been multiple 'scandals' lately about horsemeat being sold labeled as cow, so I've been curious about horse for a while, but usually never see it at the supermarket. untill now.

arf777

No longer dogless
Made something so random I didn't even take a pic (already ate it), but it turned out so good I'm making it again tomorrow. Bratwurst sautéed in ingredients left over from other dishes- mushrooms, duck fat, beef stock and a white wine cream and herb reduction. Was fucking delicious. Can't believe I've been grilling all my bratwurst til now. That's what I get for my anti-German prejudices.

Top Bottom