• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Virtual Banquet Thread

Vitolo

Vaporist
I was in the Garden grabbing a few goodies for dinner, and decided to pull a beet to roast with Carrots and Red Onion in a dish I call
"Peasant Vegetables".
I started pulling the beet, that I thought would be a modest sized one, but the beet kept coming!
This beet was the size of a grown man's head!

More Garden stuff...

download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark

download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark

download.spark

download.spark

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Behind the scenes/ preparing the dishes:
download.spark

Patty grew every herb and all vegetables used... except the trout and the Lime~
download.spark

download.spark

download.spark

download.spark

Above and below... Mushroom Duxelles for tomorrow's salmon
download.spark

Note: The Duxelles recipe is my own... using standard Duxelle ingredients.....
Most chefs use butter... some use cream and others use oil.
The bowl you see here is pure healthy food.
After sauteing the ingredients below for about an hour, once all wine is absorbed
it went into the small vessel you see above.
It weighs about a half pound, and will be chilled overnight before cooking with it tomorrow.
More than one educated palate has not been able to realize there is no butter in this!
1/2 pound Mushrooms
A dozen leaves of fresh Italian Flat parsley (minced)
1/3 of a medium shallot Shallot (minced)
2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
black Pepper (a fat pinch)
1Tbs Olive Oil
1 cup red wine (half for the chef, and half a cup to deglaze pan in the end)

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
You saw the preparations for last night's trout.
At the end, I showed you Duxelles that was for the Salmon tonight.
Generally Duxelles is served with toast points, or wrapped in a puff pastry atop steak (beef wellington)
It also is served with salmon under a puff pastry (Salmon Wellington).
afbd2182b4e7c463_zpsrrk0yagb.jpg

Salmon Wellington
Patty and I eat no fats or butter so nowadays we do not eat Salmon Wellington, but instead, I place the
Duxelles along side the Salmon....
as so:
download.spark

download.spark

Salmon with lemon and dill with mixed peppercorns.
The plate is edged by armenian cucumber slices and a carrot sliver.
Zucchini from last night with beets from the nigh before.
Brown rice with Jalapeño from last night, mixed with the black rice and pasta from the night before. and of course... Duxelles

Last edited:

MinnBobber

@Vitolo ,
so no fats or butter?? 60% of our brain is fat so we do need our fat. What do you do to make sure your body gets enough fat?

Do you have a recipe for Duxelles? I'm intrigued and was already looking at store ads for salmon this week.
I don't see why I couldn't sous vide the salmon at 115 F for 45 minutes, then hot sear as normal and dress with
Duxelle? Never had Duxelles but love sauteed mushrooms so this sounds great.
So, how was it???

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
It was magnificent.
1/2 pound Mushrooms
A dozen leaves of fresh Italian Flat parsley (minced)
1/3 of a medium shallot Shallot (minced)
2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
black Pepper (a fat pinch)
1Tbs Olive Oil
1 cup red wine (half for the chef, and half a cup to deglaze pan in the end)
What I did not tell you was the "how".
Large frying pan...
Mushrooms minced very finely.. (this can get messy)
Oil in pan.. at medium heat... add the oil and then the mushrooms, topped
by all the other stuff.... cook and stir, until it darkens....
the mushrooms will release a good deal of moisture... let that moisture sizzle until it has been re-absorbed into the Duxelles......
When it is dry and sizzling, pour a half cup of port or other red wine onto pan.... and scrape it around to de-glaze the pan, and stir around, until the wine has absorbed.. scoop up, and pack, let cool, and refrigerate over night.. re- heat to serve.
About fats....
I eat a thin slice of provolone.... a small amount of mayonaise from time to time... that's it.
I am not allowed cholesteral meds due to muscular issues, and my cholesteral bordered on 378
Sorry... my brain will have to make it's best with the fats in the fish I eat! (I do select well marbled fish).
Eating this way, in the first year I dropped 150 cholesteral points.
I now am at last reading, sitting pretty at just below 199.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

Salmon that was fan-tastic! Wild caught, fresh (never frozen) and prepared sous vide method, of course. It's the only way for perfect fish, or at least the most consistent.
115 F for 50 minutes with salt, pepper, dill. Chill down a little in fridge. Sear in super hot oil til skin side was super crisp and then finish with short sear for color on top.
It was probably the best I've ever had as it was perfect medium rare with innards cooked just beyond opaque. Exterior was seared nicely and spices were perfect blend--not overpowering. Had a little wasabi/mayo/dill relish/lemon juice sauce but it really needed nothing.

I wonder if especially the texture is better on wild caught vs commercial as this texture was awesome.

Salmon%20June%2017.jpg

With sous vide, the exterior seared crust is only like 1/32" thick so entire interior is delicious med rare.

crawdad

floatin
take a toasted sesame seed bagel, light cream cheese, sliced avocado slightly salted, on top put trader joes sun dried tomato in olive oil...makes a bad ass breakfast sandwich. ive tried other sun dried tomatoes but tj's is the best imho.

O5xzGvA.png

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am going to make a post...
Photobucket does not allow image sharing anymore, but I own a forum, to which I can attach files, then I can copy and paste them to here.
The following are the meals I had posted previously, that now are all broken links.
It is good to own my own personal photo hosting service!
Patty grows all of the herbs, spices and vegetables that you will see here.

Vito does all of the cooking.

Patty cleans up.

EVERYTHING you will see here has no fat, and only pure natural ingredients, and not one recipe uses more than ONE tablespoon of Olive Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark

Above: Everclear with cranberry juice!

download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark
download.spark

Vitolo,

MinnBobber

No pics cuz Photobucket went back in time to fuck over all users, but:
had a couple really good fresh garlic dishes,a crockpot chicken thighs recipe and some really great sous vide
salmon that was marinated in homegrown garlic, oil, homegrown basil, and pepper. Flash seared on outdoor
grill . Delicious.

arf777

No longer dogless
Ain't been on in quite some time. Had another major spinal surgery a few months back. This is the first thing beyond an omelette that I've made since- butter scones. It ain't the French or smoked or fusion fare I would normally post, hope to be able to stand long enough to cook like that again before the end of the year.

arf777

No longer dogless
Made another batch of scones. In a little less pain, so could put more effort into incorporating the butter. Replaced the sugar in the recipe with wildflower honey. Result is fluffier and tastier scones. When I get paid gonna make a canna butter batch of these. Sick of my edibles being sweet.

Gonna tackle a fusion plum and ginger pork thing tomorrow if the pain permits.

Top Bottom