Virtual Banquet Thread

arf777

No longer dogless
Last out of the smoker today, the pork shoulder. Cooling a bit before I shred it.

Co8O3Ob.jpg

And a yellow BBQ sauce that is a little decadent - most of a bottle of grand cru sauternes, smoked yellow heirloom tomatoes, bacon fat, Vidalia onion, garlic, smoked pears, armagnac, fresh sage, pureed and strained.

YuGYiDH.jpg

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I'm not a vegetarian by any means but there's been too much of the meats and pork! How about some fruit? :D Plucked 'em off the tree about 10 minutes ago, ate a few that were so ripe they tasted like they were starting to ferment into wine or something :drool: also gave the neighbor lady that's over a couple, and moms ate a few as well. Still a bunch left but some are too far gone with the ants and birds so they'll just feed nature instead :) should have another bunch ready tomorrow or day after :nod:

DH24dzhl.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
I'm not a vegetarian by any means but there's been too much of the meats and pork! How about some fruit? :D Plucked 'em off the tree about 10 minutes ago, ate a few that were so ripe they tasted like they were starting to ferment into wine or something :drool: also gave the neighbor lady that's over a couple, and moms ate a few as well. Still a bunch left but some are too far gone with the ants and birds so they'll just feed nature instead :) should have another bunch ready tomorrow or day after :nod:

DH24dzhl.jpg

I gotta say I used to LOVE cooking with fresh figs - candying, stuffing veal with them, making sauces from them. Then I learned about the fig wasp and its attendant nematodes...unless your figs come from a commercial fig operation that pollinates in some other way, you are eating these guys. Not bad for you, but creeps me out badly enough that I stopped eating them.

I stopped eating escargot as well - check out a snail radula.

EDIT - Here's some snail radula action.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I gotta say I used to LOVE cooking with fresh figs - candying, stuffing veal with them, making sauces from them. Then I learned about the fig wasp and its attendant nematodes...unless your figs come from a commercial fig operation that pollinates in some other way, you are eating these guys. Not bad for you, but creeps me out badly enough that I stopped eating them.

I stopped eating escargot as well - check out a snail radula.

I've eaten stranger things before ;)

arf777

No longer dogless
I've eaten stranger things before ;)

Oh, I've eaten nastier. I eat crabs and lobster, which are just huge sea bugs (but using similar logic, every time we eat a chicken or a turkey, we're eating a dinosaur, which is pretty damn cool). I eat yogurt, which is ALIVE. And live oysters at just about every opportunity.

I eat cheese, which is full of little microbe corpses.

I've been a butcher, so I know just how nasty prepping mammal meat actually is. Oh, and I grew up eating sweetbreads and tongue, until I found out what they were. My mom kept claiming 'tongue' meant something different in Yiddish than in English. And for some reason I believed her.

And I have likely eaten a jillion fig wasps in my day- figs were one of only three fruits I'd eat as a kid.

On the bright side, I know numerous vegans who eat figs, never knowing they are munching little animals.

I have to put okra right up there on the nasty list. Any green plant that turns not just gelatinous, but translucent, if you cook it long enough, I find highly suspect.

I have a related theory re half sour pickles, which I believe to be a conspiracy to get good, god-fearing (as it were) pickle people to eat (shudder) CUCUMBERS. If a cucumber is not pickled or in yogurt, I just cannot eat it. And that goes for their weird friend the watermelon too. Another conspiracy to get more veggies in, this time by pretending they're fruit. Like the whole rhubarb thing.

arf777

No longer dogless
Doing Italian this weekend, since my pasta maker came. Rolled out and cut some fresh fettuccine, concassed a couple pounds of tomatoes for ease of making sauces later (will be making a bolognese tonight). Used some of them with some of the fettuccine to make a simple pomadoro - tomato, garlic, fresh basil, extra virgin, and some asiago shredded on top. And it's on my new, much prettier plates.

7f70rd9.jpg

Also have a beef stock cooking all day. Will make mushroom ragu from it later this week. Whole apartment smells like beef and tomatoes.

arf777

No longer dogless
British artist James Ostrer covered himself and some intrepid models with thick layers of candy, frosting, and other junk food in a rather unsettling portrait series. The photos are on display in his exhibition “Wotsit all about” at the Gazelli Art House in London through September 11th, 2014.:science::science::science::science::science:

P9OsR56.png

OVe19J4.png

jmg4kiV.png

Hmmm....I see the artistry and skill here, but it's mostly creepy. And the chef in me is like, 'what a waste of food!'

As a counter - a simple omelet of madeira-cured bacon and gruyere, garnished with diced tomatoes and some feta.

WiSpuqD.jpg

I have a ravioli roller en route so I can combine the smoker and the pasta- smoked pork & beef ravioli, egg yolk ravioli to go on a pile of pulled pork, summer squash ravioli with peach-cured bacon, etc.

arf777

No longer dogless
from the pasta maker and the smoker- fettuccine in creamed sage pesto (sage, toasted pecans, asiago, extra virgin and garlic) with pulled pork shoulder. If you never had it, sage pesto sounds a bit much to some folks, but it is tasty, especially with some pork.

0fXzLgN.jpg

SD_haze

Hmmm....I see the artistry and skill here, but it's mostly creepy. And the chef in me is like, 'what a waste of food!'

As a counter - a simple omelet of madeira-cured bacon and gruyere, garnished with diced tomatoes and some feta.

WiSpuqD.jpg

I have a ravioli roller en route so I can combine the smoker and the pasta- smoked pork & beef ravioli, egg yolk ravioli to go on a pile of pulled pork, summer squash ravioli with peach-cured bacon, etc.
Having made many omelettes in my life, I can you tell I've never made one as well as that looks!

Here's something from a local San Diego eatery, Divine Pastabilities
Is it a torpedo? Is it pasta? Yes!
icgoWgI.jpg

Torpasta: hollow out an italian roll, coat it with garlic, then stuff it with pasta.

arf777

No longer dogless
Thanks for the compliment on the omelet. All i can say for that is practice, practice, practice. A French master yelling at you whenever you fuck it up helps a bit too.

Lunch today- fresh pasta in a mushroom ragout- made from a beef stock I made saturday, button and crimini mushrooms, garlic, fresh oregano, tomatoes. Topped with asiago.

UYVlcDq.jpg

Top Bottom