Very new - no idea what I'm doing :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degas83

Hey all, my first time posting. Glad to have found such a great resource in this forum. I just have a few vaping questions.

Some back story, I'm a 32m, married, kids. I haven't smoked weed in nearly 15 years. And even when I did I did it very infrequently.

Basically I need a way to chill out a bit on the down low, so I ordered an Arizer Solo online, just waiting for it to come in.

My biggest question, is that if I vape in the garage or outside, is anyone going to notice a smell on me when I come back inside? I know vaping isn't completely odorless. But is it safe to assume I'm not going to come inside and completely reek?

As well, I have no goddamn idea how big or how many hits I'm going to need to vape at first. The last thing I need is to green out the first time.

Any and all advice is welcome!
Thanks!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There is a smell on your breath but not like smoking. You will need something that is smell proof to keep your cannabis in. The Solo is a good vaporizer, it can even be desguised in a disposable drink cup like from Mcdonalds. You can charge it up in a dark corner of the garage so it's ready when needed.

Folks might notice a smell in the area where you just vaped but it doesn't smell like cannabis and it goes away quickly. I have vaporized in hotel rooms without any problems. Make sure you keep your stems clean because that will help with any lingering smells.

As I mentioned previous it might be good to invest in something to store your cannabis such as the Jarz or the Cvault

With the Solo slow and steady draws will get the job done. Take a few draws in the beginning then wait ten min and see how you feel. Different cannabis have different effects.

Good luck on your combust free journey and welcome to FC, it's a great community.

Last edited:

llebhcaoc

Welcome to the pond....come on in the water is fine!... You won't reek from the vape, your herb will still have a wonderful funk to it if its good, but fragrance containing jars and boxes are available now...

Hope you didn't over pay for your Solo....one of the bennies of FC is access to wonderful exclusive discounts at excellent online venders like Puff it up....refered to in these parts as PIU...It's no big deal if you did over pay for your first vape...we all have spent more than was wise on one toy or another....In the future dail in the Puff it up website and chat or email with a guy named Randy...mention to him that you are a FC newby...you will get the best price and best cust service possible..no bs!...no risk of getting stuck with a knock off either.

You will enjoy your Solo...pop into the Solo thread in the Portable vapes forum and receive the wisdom of those that have gone brfore you...many hints and tips to address questions that you don't even know you have yet...Be carefull with the glass stems...they can and do break.

Again welcome to FC!

horst

horsed
I agree with CarolKing, your breath does smell a little afterwards. It can be neutralized much easier then a smoke-face though, just make sure to have something flavorfull to drink ready after vaping and you will be fine. A large sip of coffee works wonderful for myself, any sweet lemonade will also do the trick I guess.

And make sure to store the device properly after usage, as it will reek much more afterwards then before or while vaping.

The question about the amount to start with is hard to answer, really depends on your body and how it reacts is very different from person to person. My suggestion would be to start with a very little chunk, maybe half the size of a pea. Vape it and wait up to 30 minutes, vaping tends to deliver the punch a little later then smoking. if still not noticable put another chunk in.
And make sure to have something to drink at hand regardless of the odor problem. Your throat will get a little irritated the first vaping sessions and drinking between the pulls helps a lot.

Happy vaping!

Last edited:

virtualpurple

Hey all, my first time posting. Glad to have found such a great resource in this forum. I just have a few vaping questions.

Some back story, I'm a 32m, married, kids. I haven't smoked weed in nearly 15 years. And even when I did I did it very infrequently.

Basically I need a way to chill out a bit on the down low, so I ordered an Arizer Solo online, just waiting for it to come in.

My biggest question, is that if I vape in the garage or outside, is anyone going to notice a smell on me when I come back inside? I know vaping isn't completely odorless. But is it safe to assume I'm not going to come inside and completely reek?

As well, I have no goddamn idea how big or how many hits I'm going to need to vape at first. The last thing I need is to green out the first time.

Any and all advice is welcome!
Thanks!

Welcome aboard.

Treat your vape like you'd treat a new medication: start low and go slow.

When I first started vaping I threw my vaporizer at max temp and ripped away until I stopped producing vapor. However, shortly after I began starting at lower temps and have really enjoyed exploring the effects that each small increase in temps have to offer. I do sometimes still jump right up to the high temps (usually at bedtime), but I love how medicated I can get at 365.

narrowsparrow

Not to worry, Degas83. You are in good hands here in this community. They walked me through lots of questions, and you will be treated well.
I was pretty, uh, green when I joined, too. I have an Arizer Air, and I love it. I am lusting after a Solo, now...
I think you'll find that you just have to experiment with amounts and temperatures. Everyone is so different. You can't really rip on it, though. It seems like little gentle/moderate puffs work well. I, personally, start out on a low temp cuz nothing much happens on the first two draws. (This is the Air; your Solo may work differently). Then I slip up to the next lowest for a few hits, and then get into a medium-type setting for the bigger clouds.

I found a citrus air freshener at Home Depot (Pure Citrus Orange). Just one short puff, and any odor is gone. The orange smell doesn't last long at all. Chewing gum is handy to have around for going back into reality.

Good luck!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I need all the relaxation I can get so I vape at max temps on my crafty, 410f I believe. I also choose indicas, it helps keep worries at bay, just consume responsibly. Don't forget your cover. Keep gum or some peantus closeby to chomp on. Keep track of your vaporizer and the parts, charge it whenever possible.

Enjoy it =)

Degas83

I really appreciate all of your comments, my solo just arrived in the mail. I'm going to set it up to charge now and give it my first go tomorrow night.

I've seen a few videos saying that the best way to use the solo is to lightly pack the bowl. Can I do this, take a few vapes, and save the bowl for the next day, or will it ruin it if I don't use it all up?

Other than that, I guess I'll keep you all in the loop and let you know how it goes!

Bluestang

Yep, I fill my DaVinci chamber with fresh herb for my nightcap and start at 340-350F for my session the first night and then save for the next night. The next night I start from 350 and go up to 365-375F for my session. Sometimes (more likely than not) I'll use for the 3rd night at max 405F temp for that session.

YMMV, but that's how I wind down from my 2 kids after they go to sleep and I relax on the couch with a drink and my vape watching the news before I go to bed. Really helps me sleep a lot better than without that's for sure :)

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Welcome aboard @Degas83! Love me some Solo! Awesome first choice for a vape.

The best way to fill-er-up for me is to grind to medium consistency. More robust than coffee grounds. And then put the bowl end of the glass stem in the ground up herb and suck in like a straw to fill the bowl/stem. Tamp bowl with finger lightly to pack. Don't firmly pack the bowl/stem. You may want to consider putting a screen in the bowl over the holes if a screen was supplied to keep the bits from being inhaled.

If you're just starting out there are too many variables to consider - you're herb, tolerance, how high you wanna be, so.... 3 to 4 hits at the lowest temp and waiting 10 minutes afterwards for the affect to kick in may be warranted. Next session you'll have a starting reference and know better whether to stay at that level in hits and temp or go up the scale.

I keep a small pad and paper next to my Solo so I can keep track of the bowl/stem. I generally get 16 hits per bowl if I start at level 4 and work my way up but all I need is 4 hits. So I note - 4 hits at level 4 and then at my next session I'll take 4 hits at level 4 again and change the note to 8 hits at level 4. The next session I see the 8 at 4 and know to start the temp at 5 for the next four hits since what's in the bowl isn't as strong anymore. Keeping track will help if the buzz clouds your memory and journey.

As for smell - on your breath something will be noticeable but its not likely anyone uninitiated will know what it is and it won't last more than 15 minutes based on my experience. A single tic tac would be enough to mask things. In your garage - the vapor smell will dissipate quick if all you did was 4 hits and the smell of gasoline from your lawn mower will be enough to mask it within 15 minutes. You can always take some dryer sheets, shove them in a toilet paper cardboard roller and exhale into it and then take a tic tac when done and be on your way.

Safe travels!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I also like a medium grind. You will have to decide if you want to use a screen, that will cut down on any herb particles accumulating in the stem/mouthpiece.

I prefer temperature 4 but sometimes start out at 3 and work my way up to temp 5. You may have more goodies left in your ABV after a ten min session. If after 3 draws you are done, just lay your hot stem on a heat proof surface to cool. Later on you can put your stem back in the Solo and continue with the same herb.

In the future you may decide to get a GonG for using a water tool, such as a bubbler. PlanetVape has a nice selection of various mouthpieces to try. Probably not that important right away but it's something maybe for the future. You can use a higher temperatures when using a water tool.

This vaporizer allows you to relax and enjoy your vaporizing experience without any work. It's very easy to operate and maintain. The price is very reasonable at $150 or less.

The Solo thread has a lot of useful information. A lot of the info is repeated so it's not too bad say reading through about 20 pages just to get up to speed.

Last edited:

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Welcome to FC!

Well, everyone has already covered everything you've asked...

As you see, this forum is the epitome of a tight-knit community that support one another, if you ever have questions or concerns, we are all here for you.

Since it's been so long since you have utilized cannabis, I do recommend starting out with just 2-3 hits max, wait about 20 minutes and see where you are.

I myself have been using Cannabis for over 20 years not missing a single day, and when I Vape, I will have a very nice buzz after 3-4 draws, then I'll take another....

And.. Whammo ... I'm incredibly high..

And don't get discouraged upon the first 2 hits, with most herb and most Vaporizers, those first 2 draws do not produce much visible vapor, mainly all flavors with a very wispy exhale of vapor.

First 2 draws are usually referred to as "primer hits " but can still pack a punch.

Just start low and slow as mentioned above.
Again, welcome to the Family.

:peace:

woolspinner

It's great you are starting back up with a vape. Part of the stone you feel when you blaze is your body reacting to the bad shit in the smoke: some people expect to feel that when they switch from fire to vapor.

I noticed this difference right away. Combustion knocked me on my ass with one hit, which might be okay for bedtime, but any other time was a real problem.

With vaping I can take some baby hits of a Sativa or sativa-Dom hybrid first thing in the day on a low temp to, as I say, re-up the cannabinoids in my system. Or take a few heavier hits at other times to medicate more and get stuff done. Or vape heavily closer to bedtime with a sleepy strain at a higher temp to relax my body and mind for sleep.

I think vaporizing herb increases it's treatment capabilities enormously!

Nube Scrutator

Cloud Searcher...
Altoid_and_tin.JPG

SilentRunner

I've seen a few videos saying that the best way to use the solo is to lightly pack the bowl. Can I do this, take a few vapes, and save the bowl for the next day, or will it ruin it if I don't use it all up?

You don't have to fill the stem completely. Fill it 1/3 or 1/2. You can't get too high on 0,05g, even with zero tolerance.

Use a screen if you don't like little bits of bud in your mouth. This screen also reduces the volume
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301738931568

Be careful when you insert the stem. Don't use force. Broke an easyflow blubbler last week. Some glass just breaks easily.

Degas83

Well last night was vape session one. It was interesting to say the least. I put in a screen so I wouldn't get any particles through the stem. I ground up my product to the consistency of sprinkles on a donut I guess would be the closest comparison.

I fired up the solo and let it warm to setting 4. I inserted the stem, took 2 hits, first one was about 7 seconds, the second was shorter, 3 or 4 seconds. I turned it off and just relaxed, after about 20 minutes, I was barely buzzed. I didn't weigh my product, but I would imagine I used roughly 0.5g.

Go back outside, fire it up again with the same bowl and set it again to 4. I took 2 more hits at 4, and 2 hits at 3. With that I got a fairly good buzz, but nothing crazy, I did get a good nights sleep though.

Some things I'm going to try tonight:
- reduce my expectations a bit, I'm looking to get completely fried, but I need to pace myself.
- grind up my product a bit finer.
- take longer slower hits, not try to fit in 4 hits in 5 minutes.
- I'm not sure yet on temps, I don't smoke at all, so near the end I was getting a bit of a burning sensation. I'm going to try again on 4 though. I think anything higher would be too harsh at the moment.
- I also question the potency of my product, but I don't have much choice due to location, I'm kind of stuck with what I can get.

Degas83,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Well last night was vape session one. It was interesting to say the least. I put in a screen so I wouldn't get any particles through the stem. I ground up my product to the consistency of sprinkles on a donut I guess would be the closest comparison.

I fired up the solo and let it warm to setting 4. I inserted the stem, took 2 hits, first one was about 7 seconds, the second was shorter, 3 or 4 seconds. I turned it off and just relaxed, after about 20 minutes, I was barely buzzed. I didn't weigh my product, but I would imagine I used roughly 0.5g.

Go back outside, fire it up again with the same bowl and set it again to 4. I took 2 more hits at 4, and 2 hits at 3. With that I got a fairly good buzz, but nothing crazy, I did get a good nights sleep though.

Some things I'm going to try tonight:
- reduce my expectations a bit, I'm looking to get completely fried, but I need to pace myself.
- grind up my product a bit finer.
- take longer slower hits, not try to fit in 4 hits in 5 minutes.
- I'm not sure yet on temps, I don't smoke at all, so near the end I was getting a bit of a burning sensation. I'm going to try again on 4 though. I think anything higher would be too harsh at the moment.
- I also question the potency of my product, but I don't have much choice due to location, I'm kind of stuck with what I can get.

I'd say sprinkles on a donut not only sounds tasty but about right in size. You don't have to use a powder level grind for the Solo.

You said that you fired her up, waited till it got to temp 4 and then put the stem in. Next time put the stem in first and then fire her up to heat soak the bowl a bit better and you'll hit the ground running more.

Did you see any vapor when you exhaled?

Degas83

I was thinking that too, load it up first, then turn it on. I'll try that tonight.

All of my hits I saw a pretty thick white cloud. I wasn't sure if that was how it should look. Taste wise, it was pretty tasty the first 2-3 hits, then it started to get pretty harsh. I may have even coughed once or twice...heh.

SilentRunner

I didn't weigh my product, but I would imagine I used roughly 0.5g.

I don't think .5g fit into a solo stem. If you meant .05g then the stem should be 1/3 to 1/2 full depending on how fine you grind. If it is only half full or a fine grind you should insert the stem upside down

Degas83

I really don't know how much is in there, I don't have a scale atm. But its not alot that's for sure, and even less with a screen in there. I just setup both of my stems for tonight, this time around i turned the screen the other way so it's fitted in there rather than bubbling out. Gives the stem more room.

Is there any special breathing techniques I should use or just inhale normally?

fc community is so far the best i've seen when it comes to useful and friendly forums.. most people are both kind/full of experiences/tips/ facts-academic knowledge.. ( plus I think an at least above average exigency when it comes to enjoy/exploit cannabis).. so clear in this thread..just wanted to point it out
Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom