• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Venus Helios

kimura

it looked like I barely took a draw because I was drawing pretty fast. it's wide open and the heater is very powerful. of course, you could always turn the dial down and take it easy, prolong flavor etc. I took that draw at max temp but with no boost

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
greetings. I took the plunge on this unit.

I opted for the 50W version (not the "lite"). as has been reported by others, dealing with this company is quite pleasant. the unit shipped almost immediately and was at my doorstep a few days after ordering. packaging was basically non-existent, and it shipped with no instructions. it did not come with a US compatible cord, luckily I have plenty of standard PC power cords lying around that are compatible with the AC adapter that plugs into the vape. but first impressions are that the unit is well built, with care. no offensive odors to be found, just the slight scent of oak and very subtle citrus notes that I assume are from finish oil worked into the wood. design is simple, intake doesn't appear to pass over any electronics other than the wires that power the bulb.

I know this thing is marketed for use with the whip and the globe, but since I first saw the design, I had other ideas. I hope @villekille2 doesn't take offence, but I have learned over the years that direct draw is my preferred method, for a number of reasons. most importantly: effect. some credit has to go to @MinnBobber for promoting the versatility of the miniVAP flexicone. it was reading his posts in the herbie thread that got me thinking about the helios.

it's crazy, especially because I'm not sure this was planned, but the Helios is one of the best direct draw desktops I've ever used, and that list includes herbie and evo. the draw on this thing is completely open with no resistance, and it's got enough power at the top end to combust even with a brisk draw. it's a combination of auto and manual, because you use the dial to set the vape at a particular level, but then you can use the boost button to add as much heat as you want on the fly. using the method below, you can remove the load from the heater at the end of your draw, which I believe is essential to getting the most out of your material

here is the (naked) helios:

zt247U0.jpg

here's the bowl:

2dX4Cuc.jpg

looks to me like it would be a perfect fit for a miniVAP flexicone. let's see:

yC73wf1.jpg

yes, it's a perfect fit. the flexicone creates a seal at the top of the bowl, and the basket is suspended in the middle of the bowl, exposed to all the heat and radiation but not even touching the sides.

OwRrwL4.jpg

the Eagle has landed. I read the temp on the bowl with an IR temp gun, it seems to stay in the 170-200 range, with is well within the safe limits of the flexicone material. now I just need to come up with a way to draw off of this thing. let's use a VXL mouthpiece combined with a 14mm to 18mm adapter, press a small length of silicone hose into the adapter, and then mate that to a miniVAP flexicone module:

Gy48qGJ.jpg

4uFPlpe.jpg

ok. now, do this:

that was without even using the boost button. the halogen vape sig is intense. I think the radiant heat really helps to evenly extract the load, and there is also plenty of convection on top of that. flavor and effects outstanding, ABV perfect

Hey man! Glad to hear you took the plunge. Great review and impressive videos - thanks for sharing!
And even more, great mod!!

About your temp measurements using the heat gun: what kinda gun did you use? With mine I can only measure non-shiny surfaces/objects reliably. But it's some kind of laser dot gun. With the Apollo I used a different device with probes and it was getting way too hot for the flexis.
Only want you to stay safe!

Have you already gotten some kind of manual? Could help out with some info otherwise.

Enjoy the power of Helios. I think it really is a class of its own. Be sure to check out the glass dome- I love watching the vapor swirling, it's wonderful.

:peace:

Last edited:

kimura

that temp reading was at idle, admittedly. not during a draw. it was just an IR temp gun, and I wouldn't swear by it's accuracy. but I have no concerns about the flexicones. they are exposed to vaping temps, which I know they are good for. I'd be scorching loads and combusting well before I started to worry about the flexicones

edit: I just used a probe and it's actually around 220 degrees F at idle at the top of the bowl. and the unit has been on for a while and is completely heatsoaked. no worries

Last edited:

natural farmer

greetings. I took the plunge on this unit.

I opted for the 50W version (not the "lite"). as has been reported by others, dealing with this company is quite pleasant. the unit shipped almost immediately and was at my doorstep a few days after ordering. packaging was basically non-existent, and it shipped with no instructions. it did not come with a US compatible cord, luckily I have plenty of standard PC power cords lying around that are compatible with the AC adapter that plugs into the vape. but first impressions are that the unit is well built, with care. no offensive odors to be found, just the slight scent of oak and very subtle citrus notes that I assume are from finish oil worked into the wood. design is simple, intake doesn't appear to pass over any electronics other than the wires that power the bulb.

I know this thing is marketed for use with the whip and the globe, but since I first saw the design, I had other ideas. I hope @villekille2 doesn't take offence, but I have learned over the years that direct draw is my preferred method, for a number of reasons. most importantly: effect. some credit has to go to @MinnBobber for promoting the versatility of the miniVAP flexicone. it was reading his posts in the herbie thread that got me thinking about the helios.

it's crazy, especially because I'm not sure this was planned, but the Helios is one of the best direct draw desktops I've ever used, and that list includes herbie and evo. the draw on this thing is completely open with no resistance, and it's got enough power at the top end to combust even with a brisk draw. it's a combination of auto and manual, because you use the dial to set the vape at a particular level, but then you can use the boost button to add as much heat as you want on the fly. using the method below, you can remove the load from the heater at the end of your draw, which I believe is essential to getting the most out of your material

here is the (naked) helios:

zt247U0.jpg

here's the bowl:

2dX4Cuc.jpg

looks to me like it would be a perfect fit for a miniVAP flexicone. let's see:

yC73wf1.jpg

yes, it's a perfect fit. the flexicone creates a seal at the top of the bowl, and the basket is suspended in the middle of the bowl, exposed to all the heat and radiation but not even touching the sides.

OwRrwL4.jpg

the Eagle has landed. I read the temp on the bowl with an IR temp gun, it seems to stay in the 170-200 range, which is well within the safe limits of the flexicone material. now I just need to come up with a way to draw off of this thing. let's use a VXL mouthpiece combined with a 14mm to 18mm adapter, press a small length of silicone hose into the adapter, and then mate that to a miniVAP flexicone module:

Gy48qGJ.jpg

4uFPlpe.jpg

ok. now, do this:

that was without even using the boost button. the halogen vape sig is intense. I think the radiant heat really helps to evenly extract the load, and there is also plenty of convection on top of that. flavor and effects outstanding, ABV perfect

edit: forgot to mention, there's a little screen inside the flexicone that I didn't show, that acts as a cap for the basket when you pop it into the flexicone. just wanted to mention for folks who may be unfamiliar with the mV flexicones

Oh my!!! :o:o:o :drool::drool::drool: :whoa::whoa::whoa: :freak::freak::freak: :love::love::love: :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I had a slight hope that Helios would be a great vape but this just blew my mind and it goes at the top of my wish list right now!!! :nod::nod::nod:

I really want a top gun for home use and I was between this and a Supreme but the simplicity and speed of using the Helios just sealed the deal for me!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Supreme will have to wait!!! I hope I could order a direct draw solution and proper adapters together with Helios itself! @villekille2 , do you hear??? Need some nice dry hit solution for this! I am going g to be an evangelist for you!!!! :D:D:D

EDIT: And why is it still in the Unreleased section???

EDIT: Is there any kind of discount for FCers? I just saw it's up to 279€ now...

Last edited:

vapen00b

EDIT: Is there any kind of discount for FCers? I just saw it's up to 279€ now...

It's 279€ ever since... No up to. The Helios Lite is a little cheaper. Maybe you mixed that up? Helios also has more features - price point is very fair IMO, this one kills most of its challengers, if not all. The 50w halogen power is insane (see Apollo), it's DHL express shipment (48hours) and @villekille2 offers "more than you could ask for" customer service (plus is active on here). All this is what you get for 279€... Fuck, like this I do like numbers! :D :)

Get in the boat :p

MinnBobber

..................................................................................
Kimura,
thanks for taking the plunge and trying one out.

For any potential new vape, my first question is---will the miniVAP Flexicone basket module fit as I love them so much. For folks unfamiliar, here's a detailed pic with screen etc to show what @kimura was talking about:
Flex%20fiber%20%20mod_1.jpg

And in the "father of Helios", the halogen bulb powered Herbalizer :)
Note that I added a degummed hemp fiber filter to keep those tiny tiny dry herb bits from going upstream which keeps glass or hoses or your throat much cleaner.
Also note, this was a first run and I now make the hemp filter much thinner so it does not restrict draw at all yet still does it's job. It also collects a tiny amount of resin---very little as vapor is so hot BUT there's no waste as when it's too dirty just vape the hemp filter ;)

Helios is very intriguing as you could use with the "psychedelic stock light show and whip" or direct draw.
Also, now for water lovers, a hydratube will rest directly on Flexicone shoulders for water conditioning.

Thanks Kimura---for activating my VAS :(

Last edited:

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I wanna know if it would be easy to rig up an SSV style all glass transfer wand in place of the stock silicone tubing!

A video of a typical stock session from heating up the unit to loading chamber and then vapor production would be nice.

kimura

ok, this was from an absolute cold start. sorry, @natural farmer it's only like .10G. but that was only filling the bowl make 20%. the bowl is absolutely massive IMO. I did get some pretty pronounced tunneling, and over the session the load rearranged itself to form a sort of donut shape with a hole right in the middle. this could be mitigated by loading more material. next time I'm going to try putting a SS concentrate pad on top of the load to keep it in place. if I filled this thing all the way up I bet it would whitewall the glass. might have to do it someday...

pardon the dirty glass. I just cleaned it and apparently did a terrible job. something about the way the light hit it made it look gross. it's not as bad as it looks haha. you can see when the warmup is complete the LED turns on. takes about a minute. this session was done at 50% power

natural farmer

ok, this was from an absolute cold start. sorry, @natural farmer it's only like .10G. but that was only filling the bowl make 20%. the bowl is absolutely massive IMO. I did get some pretty pronounced tunneling, and over the session the load rearranged itself to form a sort of donut shape with a hole right in the middle. this could be mitigated by loading more material. next time I'm going to try putting a SS concentrate pad on top of the load to keep it in place. if I filled this thing all the way up I bet it would whitewall the glass. might have to do it someday...

pardon the dirty glass. I just cleaned it and apparently did a terrible job. something about the way the light hit it made it look gross. it's not as bad as it looks haha. you can see when the warmup is complete the LED turns on. takes about a minute. this session was done at 50% power

No need to be sorry buddy! :lol: And thanks so much for the effort! For the tunnelling I am imagining took place the result was still pretty good though. I feel what you say about the size of the bowl. I prefer small loads myself as well but it's good to have the room for more massive ones when needed! If I get one (need to figure out the money issue first and a court in a couple of weeks :\) I am surely going the Flexicone and basket way for dry hits. The jar and filled bowls will be reserved for when buddies come along or I go their place. I wonder what would happen if you just placed a basket and it's cap inside the large bowl... It should give good results like with the flexicone, right? The pad would work as well I guess. It did in my Firefly which had similar tunnelling issues when partly filled.

PS: I can't stop watching your first vid. It has become an obsession. :ko: The speed and airflow are mesmerising as was the vapor inside the jar in your second vid of course...

natural farmer,
Reactions: vapen00b

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

That's a great video, thanks!

It really is beautiful and unique the way the vapor swirls. It reminds me of a waterfall, but the vapor rising from the center is similar to a fountain.

You should definitely try a full chamber, I bet it would make a great video.

kimura

I wonder what would happen if you just placed a basket and it's cap inside the large bowl... It should give good results like with the flexicone, right? The pad would work as well I guess. It did in my Firefly which had similar tunnelling issues when partly filled

i've tried that, it worked, but not as well IMO. the basket + cap absorbed a lot of heat, causing vapor production to be be delayed, and then I ended up scorching the load. probably just requires patience, and more trial and error. maybe I'll try turning down the heat, dropping the basket in, and just waiting a little while before drawing. I'm still learning how to tame this beast. can't stress enough that the heater is powerful. but I always prefer to have more power than I actually need.

natural farmer

i've tried that, it worked, but not as well IMO. the basket + cap absorbed a lot of heat, causing vapor production to be be delayed, and then I ended up scorching the load. probably just requires patience, and more trial and error. maybe I'll try turning down the heat, dropping the basket in, and just waiting a little while before drawing. I'm still learning how to tame this beast. can't stress enough that the heater is powerful. but I always prefer to have more power than I actually need.
So what is different with the flexicone and glass mouthpiece? You don't use the basket's cap maybe? Or did you mean the Helios's basket cap?

kimura

The flexicone makes a seal at the top of the bowl so when you draw it forces all the hot air to pass through the load. If you just drop in a capped basket screen, the hot air will take the path of least resistance during a draw, which is probably to go around the basket instead of through it.

natural farmer

The flexicone makes a seal at the top of the bowl so when you draw it forces all the hot air to pass through the load. If you just drop in a capped basket screen, the hot air will take the path of least resistance during a draw, which is probably to go around the basket instead of through it.
Yeah, that sounds right... :p

I hope @villekille2 eventually comes out with a nice solution for smaller loads as well.

I wonder what kind of concentrate SS pads would fit this one? Mighty/Crafty ones?

natural farmer

Hey @kimura! Have you heard of that mod Herbie Hancock did to his Apollo? I bet it could be done with the Helios as well!!! :D

A couple of silicon rings around that basket you used and you stick this in the bowl so no hot air comes from the sides... :tup:

vapen00b

Weew. Dedicating my 1000th to this one! :)

Hey guys! How is the Helios treating you so far? :)

Very nicely. Still planning to upgrade to the big Helios. Hope @villekille2 got back safely from his well deserved vacations.
Belated Happy New Year to you guys! :)

Can I see what temp the dial is set at or is it blank?
No, it's not a temp dial but a power dial. Maybe like the 7th floor products?

JackBrus

Couple of questions guys,

1. Is this thing Temperature Controlled, in the sense that an electronic circuit tries to keep the temperature of the halogen lamp stable? Meaning that it would send more power to it when one takes a large / fast draw, and less power when idle ?

2. Some vapes want you to press a button when drawing, some have even a sensor for that. Those vapes give more power when the user tokes - and less or none when idle. How does the Helios do this?

3. Halogen bulbs light up very fast. Plus there is not much mass in this vape. How come the Helios doesn't heat up even faster, let's say in 10 seconds? Or is it that the herbs need to be 'pre heated' (radiation heat) before the convection can be successful ?

Thanks !

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
For 3) it's because the heater is isolated from the air/vapor path, being encapsulated in glass. Glass is a poor conductor, not far from being an insulator in fact. There might also be another part in the vape acting as a heatsink/reservoir.

Top Bottom