• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Various e-cig type Vaporizers

theduckopera

Hi! So last year I got a free Ego-T pen with a glass globe for concentrates, and I finally bought myself some nice shatter to try it out. However, as soon as I take a hit I get an appalling taste of burnt plastic or oil and the smell is so bad my SO banned me from using it in the house. I've done a bunch of reading and I'm GUESSING it's the wick (the glass globe I got has no branding but it seems to be standard ceramic with coil+wick). But I don't know what to do to fix it, or if I even can fix it. I don't want to use it until I know what's going on because I have no idea what I'm inhaling. The last few times I took a hit I got a headache.

The other problem I'm having is that vapour is escaping out the bottom of the glass globe attachment, where it meets the battery. Doesn't seem to matter how tightly I screw it on. That I can't find any information on at all.

Can anyone offer any insight? I'd love to be able to start using my concentrates again!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Hi! So last year I got a free Ego-T pen with a glass globe for concentrates, and I finally bought myself some nice shatter to try it out. However, as soon as I take a hit I get an appalling taste of burnt plastic or oil and the smell is so bad my SO banned me from using it in the house. I've done a bunch of reading and I'm GUESSING it's the wick (the glass globe I got has no branding but it seems to be standard ceramic with coil+wick). But I don't know what to do to fix it, or if I even can fix it. I don't want to use it until I know what's going on because I have no idea what I'm inhaling. The last few times I took a hit I got a headache.

The other problem I'm having is that vapour is escaping out the bottom of the glass globe attachment, where it meets the battery. Doesn't seem to matter how tightly I screw it on. That I can't find any information on at all.

Can anyone offer any insight? I'd love to be able to start using my concentrates again!
I like high power when I use SHATTER like a W9 Tech products.
@DieHard could most likely rebuild your globe?
He could get rid of the smell.

I do concentrates and colas.

CANNABIS is compatible with our bodies.

ataxian,

OF

But I don't know what to do to fix it, or if I even can fix it. I don't want to use it until I know what's going on because I have no idea what I'm inhaling. The last few times I took a hit I got a headache.

Hard to tell from here, but it sure sounds like you're overheating stuff because it's not loaded right. Is the wick moist when cool? That's the only concentrate likely to evaporate with power, after it's exhausted if you keep the power on the temperature is sure to soar which is not a good thing at all.

Unfortunately, shatter is probably the hardest concentrate to be using. Can you get more conventional oils/waxes? They will be much easier to load directly onto the heater and will also feed into it as the material trapped in the wick boils away.

Vapor can leak out the bottom by design. It has to vent to the outside so you can suck the collected vapor away. Think about it. If you can't draw air through it cold you've got troubles?

Properly loaded the wick will be 'wet' and the material in it rapidly (say 2 seconds max?) heat and start releasing whisps of vapor. You can watch this happen without the globe on. And you can hear it sizzle. The coil itself should be no more than about 400f, not glowing at all. I suspect yours is glowing?

Anyway, get 'lower grade' concentrates to cut your teeth on if possible. Load a BB size (paper match head) lump on the heater. Pulse the power to melt it into the wick. Put on the dome and gently hit it as you hit the power (that should keep any vapor going up into you where we want it rather than down the vents were we don't want it.

HTH

OF

OF,
Reactions: ataxian

theduckopera

Hard to tell from here, but it sure sounds like you're overheating stuff because it's not loaded right. Is the wick moist when cool? That's the only concentrate likely to evaporate with power, after it's exhausted if you keep the power on the temperature is sure to soar which is not a good thing at all.

Unfortunately, shatter is probably the hardest concentrate to be using. Can you get more conventional oils/waxes? They will be much easier to load directly onto the heater and will also feed into it as the material trapped in the wick boils away.

Vapor can leak out the bottom by design. It has to vent to the outside so you can suck the collected vapor away. Think about it. If you can't draw air through it cold you've got troubles?

Properly loaded the wick will be 'wet' and the material in it rapidly (say 2 seconds max?) heat and start releasing whisps of vapor. You can watch this happen without the globe on. And you can hear it sizzle. The coil itself should be no more than about 400f, not glowing at all. I suspect yours is glowing?

Anyway, get 'lower grade' concentrates to cut your teeth on if possible. Load a BB size (paper match head) lump on the heater. Pulse the power to melt it into the wick. Put on the dome and gently hit it as you hit the power (that should keep any vapor going up into you where we want it rather than down the vents were we don't want it.

HTH

OF

That could be possible. The first couple of times I had literally no idea what to do and put the shatter underneath the coil, not on top. But even when I put on a biggish bit and wrapped it around I still got the same effect. So either it just smells like that now (the globe on its own definitely reeks), or as you say, shatter is just not gonna work. Would've been nice for someone at my dispensary to point that out. =P I brought the pen in and everything!

...As for the vapor thing, I feel very dumb now. I already felt dumb trying to work out how to use this thing with no instructions, but now I feel really, really dumb. =P

I can't really afford to buy more concentrates, not at the moment. And my dispensary really doesn't have much in the way of oils, just shatter and honeycomb. What they DO have are preloaded cartridges that are priced about on par with the concentrates, so maybe I'll just get one of those at some point and use the pen just for that. Bypasses the globe issue entirely. And I did some reading on the forum and found out how to make shatter sandwiches in my Solo, so at least it won't be going to waste...

Thank you for your help!

theduckopera,
Reactions: OF

capcoho

With the glass globes I've found it very effective to push the coil and wick down and off to the side so it's resting in the bottom. Dunno if that makes sense. Then just a pinch of shatter on top and a couple pulses till it warms and melts onto the coil. From there it's good to go.

Also don't put to much shatter on just a rice grain or 2.

capcoho,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Anyone have any suggestions for a good, well priced box mod to run W9tech's 3rd Gen KISS carts? Preferably with passthrough.

Looking at an Eleaf IStick 100w TC, although I've no clue on how TC works. Also looking at an EVIC VTC 75w.

Is this the right thread for this?

OF

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, well priced box mod to run W9tech's 3rd Gen KISS carts? Preferably with passthrough.

Looking at an Eleaf IStick 100w TC, although I've no clue on how TC works. Also looking at an EVIC VTC 75w.

I have both of those, I bought them to use with the Devine Tribe Doughnut attys (which you might consider......). Although I have the mini version of the Eleaf (40 Watts). Avoid that one if you want to use TC (which might not work anyway).

The VTC is bigger but has replaceable battery (you don't want to use 'passthrough' really, it's a known battery killer in most cases) and more features. Specifically useful is the ability to use both power and temperature regulation at the same time. You can set the VTC to start at whatever level you set as maximum then heat to the temperature you set (what I'm doing with the DC, heat at 12 Watts to what I believe is 390F then hold that). The IStick comes on 'full blast' in TC mode, 40 Watts or in your case 100? Pretty tough on Mister Heater?

But then again, they're designed for E-cig guys......and you know what they're like......

TC works by measuring the change in resistance with temperature. This depends on what metal is used. Ti is different from NiChrome is different from SS is different from the 'secret' alloy ThermoVape used (which doesn't change at all and therefore doesn't work in TC mode). And not all alloys are alike, the NiChrome used in the DV atty is not the normal one used in E-cigs. You can compensate by tweaking the temperature set, IIRC it's something like 240F to get the IStock to the right temperature range. So it will depend on the Kiss heater a LOT.

This change is not trivial, my DC goes from .73 to 1.06 Ohms heating up to the limit I set. Typical values for such "Positive Temperature Coefficients" (resistance goes up with temperature) are about .3% per degree C, give or take.

The VTC allows custom constants for the metal used. By using '245' I'm very close to actual temperature I think (and can tweak it more if I like). Makes for very nice, relaxed, oil vaping with no change of 'burning the oii' since it never gets very hot by intent or accident.

So I recommend the VTC (even though it's a bit bigger and a bit more expensive) for being gentler on the cart and offering more control. And also considering the DC cart which uses a heater SEALED IN CERAMIC to do the good work, no issues about metals, or fibers or whatever, we have glazed ceramic, a true 'all glass everywhere' deal. And with practical temperature controls?

"Check it out".

Regards,

OF

Edit: Also worth considering IMO is the Invader Mini. It offers interchangeable battery and 'full control' TC mode but only has one internal constant so you have to tune the temperature. On the up side it's heavy and tough. On the down side it's heavy and tough..... Sucker is a very heavy pot metal casting with full seals (in case you want to take it SCUBA diving I guess?

OF

Last edited:

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Thanks for that, OF. I went with the VTC per your advice and am looking at the Donut stuff (Donut = DC?).

What a time to be alive

Atomsk,

Palatinoss

Recently purchased exgo used maybe one day and put on charger. Re assembled and battery isn't working. When placed on charger the battery lights up then goes off. Any suggestions, is it defective or deceased. Spent $50+ on it not even a week old super upset

:mad: not happy with EXgo W1 battery after short use it says battery is charged and yet doesn't work. Anyone else have this issue?? Was really stoked to get vaped

Last edited by a moderator:
Palatinoss,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@ataxian, thanks for the reply
I respect your opinion but cannot decipher your spelling- I can't seem to find an ELOVE vaporizer pen.
zbQwxRn.jpg

I like having 420 this way!
Civilized!

Lokbok

Howdy. SO I've owned/operated a plethora of vapes (I'm usually an herbs guy) and lately been wanting something even easier to travel around. My girlfriend showed me her G Pen because I now have access to pre-filled cartridges (ultimately discreetness and no real smell). Anyone know of a highly rated battery to use for those pre-filled cartridges? It's my understanding that if you go with the pre-filled cartridges, you just need the battery with 510/EGO threading. Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
Lokbok,

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

Is this the right thread for this?
Help me out here?
I don't understand?

I got my first MOD and it's a ILEAF PICO MEGA 80 WATTS (26650 battery)
My SHATTER 20 - 23 watts
CO2 10 watts (currently)
mHkqSzA.jpg

Why 200 watt MODS? (MARKETING)?
10 WATTS and my CO2 cartridge and I can barely handle it? (HEADBAND) thick clouds?
200 watts?
Why?
SHATTER 23 watts? (PERFECT)?

@OF @waxdab23 someone please explain?

Is it the BIG BELT BUCKLE SYNDROME?

waxdab23

Help me out here?
I don't understand?

I got my first MOD and it's a ILEAF PICO MEGA 80 WATTS (26650 battery)
My SHATTER 20 - 23 watts
CO2 10 watts (currently)
mHkqSzA.jpg

Why 200 watt MODS? (MARKETING)?
10 WATTS and my CO2 cartridge and I can barely handle it? (HEADBAND) thick clouds?
200 watts?
Why?
SHATTER 23 watts? (PERFECT)?

@OF @waxdab23 someone please explain?

Is it the BIG BELT BUCKLE SYNDROME?

It's for sub-ohm nicotine vaping. Some e-cig coils take extremely high wattage and produce crazy massive vapor clouds.

But I like BIG BELT BUCKLE SYNDROME much better bro.

Edit: For wax and shatter though, you're right. The highest I ever go for concentrates is 30W and that's with my Hercules. Sometimes need to go as low as 5W like for prefilled.

waxdab23,

AVENTUS

I was shocked to search and find no Kandypens Thread here.

They have a new one dropping 11/15, called the ELITE, that is basically a sealed-chamber-bottom, enhanced airflow version of their gravity pen, and since i liked the gravity on its lowest purple temp setting, but hated that it leaked a small amount of terpy live resin thru to the battery, and wanted slightly better airflow, I'm pretty d@mn stoked about this one!

KP-Elite-6-colors1476138004.jpg

AVENTUS,
Top Bottom