• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaporizing Tobacco (not e-cigs)

Kocmo

Safest nicotine «vape» is ecig with SS coils, VG based e-liquid with no aromas. I vape some occasionally for convenience reasons. When I have time to mess around with true tobacco then I do prefer true vapes due to taste and overall satisfaction.

Couldn't agree more!
I would say something between 80/20 and 50/50 for VG/PG ratio.
Just go to the nearest shop and say: temperature controlled device, stainless steel coil, custom made liquid without flavours, 18mg/ml nicotine.

I had decided (almost, almost there, just 1000 more reviews on Youtube) on Davinci IQ for my first vaporizer. Firefly next for a home device. Portability and convenience. But also for the "flavour chamber". I think that it has potential to be used as convection only device. Not marketed as such because it's primary for weed but the temperature at the chamber may be adequate for tobacco. Probably not the best shape because hot air enters from a small hole, but this "chamber" looks gargantuan. Empty oven, loosely filled flavour chamber with tobacco prepared with the Xelatsok's method. Actually plan to start with 20% sauce, by weight. Will report back.
Oh wallet, my wallet.
Nu, proshtai zdrovie!

I had used e-cigarettes for 9 years but wouldn't recommend them as primary means for quitting cigarettes. Maybe the original ones - Ruyan, but they are not available for many years and the industry had shifted into clouds and watts and stuff like that.

I would recommend sport. Weightlifting. Not fitness, not yoga, not running. Running will lower your testosterone. Fitness is a waste of time if you are not on steroids. I'm old and have tried all sort of weeds and sports. Stronglifts or Starting Strength. SL is better for young guys and free. Read SL site today and hit the iron tomorrow.

E-cigs are the most safe means for nicotine delivery (that somewhat mimics smoking) but are tricky. Too much VG and you end up with all sorts of technical issues. Not scorching your VG should be a primary concern. Too much PG and you end up dehydrated, with sore throat and nose. Too much nicotine and you have to count every puff you make or you end up with nausea. Too little and you will puff the damn thing all day long. There is probably balance for everyone’s taste but is hard to find.

The thing is that e-cigs don't work the way people expect. They deliver nicotine. They satisfy the cravings. They never give the satisfaction that tobacco gives. Nicotine is actually stimulant, like caffeine. The feeling of relaxation and calmness comes from other alkaloids. You could try WTA extracts. You could try e-cig at day, weed at night. But my first advice will be sport and reserving tobacco for pure enjoyment. You know when you are approaching a pipe or a vaporizer for pleasure only or because of the addiction.

If you are asking why am I writing this in the early morning hours - I had a surgery and I'm off from sports for 6 months now. I'm back to sucking robots dicks all day long, but for me the recipe is clear - iron and something decadent every other day. That brought me to this thread - researching and alternative to pipe smoking for the winter or for places (bars, clubs) where it is not appropriate as I will be back to gym one day or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kocmo,
Reactions: Xelatsok

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Davinci IQ ... I think that it has potential to be used as convection only device.
I am sure it has not. I have no experience with IQ, but a lot of with convection vapes. IQ heating chamber is not able to heat air enough to vaporize the content of flavor chamber. I was drooling on IQ, it is beauty, but passed it thoughtfully.

Xelatsok,
Reactions: Kocmo

Kocmo

I see. Thank you! It looks like there are 2-3 mm from the heater to the chamber but this oven is not a dedicated air heater.
I was attracted by the 18650 battery and the fact that I can buy several flavor chambers and use them as cartridges.

Kocmo,

Kocmo

Firefly 2 is $100 off. Waiting for my to arrive.

IIQ heating chamber is not able to heat air enough to vaporize the content of flavor chamber.
I was actually thinking to stuff the oven with as much concentrate pads as possible. Or roll SS mesh into a cylinder. SS mesh is cheap and readily available at e-cig stores.

Kocmo,

mephisto

@Kocmo the Davinci IQ is a conduction vape. I have used it with great success to vape pipe tobacco. Use the top oven and leave the flavor chamber empty. Meanwhile, this thread has me thinking about obtaining a FF strictly for tobacco use.

mephisto,

Xelatsok

@Kocmo the Davinci IQ is a conduction vape. I have used it with great success to vape pipe tobacco. Use the top oven and leave the flavor chamber empty. Meanwhile, this thread has me thinking about obtaining a FF strictly for tobacco use.
I am thinking about Haze Square now, it is a strong contender, pay attention to it.

Xelatsok,

michael.lm

I have been using crafty/mighty to vape tobacco (premium pipe tobacco, mostly Virginia blends) for last couples months. Works pretty well for me - I was able to quit cigarettes right away after smoking for 20 years. I feel (lungs, cardio) much improved. Vaping is pretty satisfying, nice flavor, enough clouds, some nicotine buzz (nothing too crazy) when packed too tied with a strong blend.
I tried Pax 3 - didn't get enough ’smoking’ sensation.
I am planning to try an on-demand fully convection vape - ordered ghost mv 1. Anybody tried it to vape tobacco?

michael.lm,
Reactions: Piruz

Xelatsok

I have been using crafty/mighty to vape tobacco (premium pipe tobacco, mostly Virginia blends) for last couples months. Works pretty well for me - I was able to quit cigarettes right away after smoking for 20 years. I feel (lungs, cardio) much improved. Vaping is pretty satisfying, nice flavor, enough clouds, some nicotine buzz (nothing too crazy) when packed too tied with a strong blend.
I tried Pax 3 - didn't get enough ’smoking’ sensation.
I am planning to try an on-demand fully convection vape - ordered ghost mv 1. Anybody tried it to vape tobacco?
What temps have you been using with Crafty?
Have you added VG/PG?
What blends did you like most?

Last edited:
Xelatsok,

michael.lm

What temps have you been using with Crafty?
Have you added VG/PG?
What blends did you like most?

Usually 400.
Occasionally I can add vg/pg to get more vapor but overall it's good enough for me even without that.

Virginia blends I like:
Peter Stokkebye 402 Luxury Twist Flake
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake
Orlik Golden Sliced
Capstan Original Navy Cut
Cornell & Diehl Poplar Camp
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake

michael.lm,

Hansha

Looks like I have not been subscribed to the topic, hence I have missed some posts.

I would like to thank the tobacco suggestions. In deed - my research came up with same solutions for getting my hands on good orientals. Another fine shop is the Motzek in Kiel - Germany.

Regarding my tobacco vaping experience which is now 3+ months using the modest PAX 3.
  • At starts I had to fiddle with temperature etc, but now I just keep it at minimum temperature and regular settings. I don't know what I did wrong at the beginning. Might be the drawing technique or packing it to light or tight. I have constant and trouble free vaping at 175 now. No huge clouds but enough for me. I had a Cafty for a few days but somehow I was not able to get anything out of it. No matter the temperature and packing style ...

• Regarding moistening tobacco. I find that many (especially) aromatic tobaccos contain a fair amount of PG or VG. I just use a pure blend and mix in a little aromatic tobacco of my choice. This way I get a solid taste / vapor ratio without any kitchen work. Maybe it is not PG/VG, maybe it's honey or whatever but it works.

• Regarding nicotine. In the research I posted in my first post it seems 175 degree does not emit much more nicotine then smoking. I smoke some 5 - 15 bowls a day and I have never experienced a feeling of buzz. Now, I am not sure - maybe I am so immune to nic, but I remember sometimes I would get a buzz from the first cig in the morning. Therefore I gather the nic at 175 can not be that potent. (I do not inhale deep - i kinda "throat inhale" or do some nose or retronasal inhalation).

• RYO tobaccos. Pueblo I had was dry as pepper and did not produce much. Maybe it is a good mixing tobacco but not sure good for standalone. I tried Malboro, Camel and Bali Shag. All are quite wet on feel and produce quite a lot of vapor. This can be seen also bu gunk in the oven. What chem is in RYO and how its quality compares to cigs I can not judge.

• Regarding other chemicals - well, it is beyond doubt that prime class pipe tobacco is "cleaner" then the reclaim crap they use for cigarettes. I guess it must be less harmful ...

• Regarding research findings - well there is a mess in research which John Oliver nicely mocks in one of his shows. However - despite my inborn skepticism I now highly doubt the tobacco giants would risk fake science. Imagine investing millions in a product which undermines your original product to only get it banned and fined for misleading etc.

• Health effects: I have a feeling I can climb stairs much better then before. My stomach stoped hurting so much. My throat feels better. I occasionally do have some tiny traces of blood when brushing teeth or sometimes even some post nasal blood taste which is (thankfully) tiny and (for now) goes away in minutes. This does not happen every day. It maybe happens when my Pax is not clean and I get a real strong hit from gunk in oven. Vapers are pinning this to PG often ...
    I sometimes have temporary "air hunger" but somehow I suspect this is not a vaporizing related problem. Luckily this also passes.
    I sometimes do spit out little amounts of brownish mucus (alike the cigarette spit). The amount is really tiny compared to cigs. Or is it perhaps cleaning the cigarette tar buildup?

• E-cigs - tried but did not work. To clumsy, to much work, the flavor never resembles anything close to nature and the continuous style just sux. I need a smoke - a bowl I pack, smoke and put my pipe aside. And yes - I like to word smoking regardless what the aerosol really is.

Now, what I am mostly interested in are health findings. I am quite happy with my tobacco vaporizing experience and I do not crave cigarettes. I tried a cigarette a month ago (three puff) and it tasted like - honesty it tasted like dangerous. I have no idea how I could have been sucking on that for 20 years. I could not get the horrible taste out of my mouth for the whole day.

As far as I have researched I have not found any study concluding there could be any chemical released in more excessive amount to cigarette combustion. Also - as far as I understand E-cigs coils are hotter then 175 degree and most vaporizer temperatures. You hear sizzling and popping with them often while my pax only occasionally produces such sounds. I therefore conclude the PG / VG breakdown in vaporizers should less of a concern then in E-cigs or IQOS with it's 350 degree heat?

Any thoughts?

Happy to see more people come in here and keep the discussion alive!

btw: would vaporizing tobacco deserve a forum on here?

Last edited:

Hansha

For 15-20 minutes pipe style sessions: Air (Solo) with metal bowl wooden stem, say one from Ed's TnT. CFX

15 - 20 min? Seriously. That sounds interesting. Does the wood stem has a bigger chamber? I was interested in Air Solo but the chamber seemed a bit small. I do not get out 20 minutes from PAX 3. Then again it should be rather measured in number of puffs.

Hansha,

michael.lm

I am using mighty/crafty with dosing capsules and pack them pretty tied with straight (no pg/vg) pipe tobacco - working really good so far. Probably get around 15-20+ draws (380F) with nice and flavor vapor. I ordered a press at highbridinnovations.com to try - will report results.
I have Pax 3 as well but never succeeded to get nice experience - maybe will give another chance.
I am looking for good on-demand vaporizer since sometimes I like to take a long pause between draws. FF2? Ghost MV 1? Anybody tried these or others with straight tobacco?

michael.lm,

Hansha

highbridinnovations.com

You pack so hard you need a press? True I have not tried to use the capsule and pack that "manly". But anyway, the Crafty didn't appeal to me in its form factor either. I felt like I am holding a spare part for an old moped. I am interested in the little ArGo but wonder if the bowl size is big enough for a session ...

Regarding PAX 3. What I found is that it's performance is improved by that little custom bottom screen
https://www.vaposhop.com/vaporizer_accessoires/vaporizer-parts/pax-2-replacement-screen-3d/

What I noticed with PAX 3 is that it kinda works on demand as well. Once you put it down it cools and eventually switches of. Somehow I notice that the draws after a pause can be even tastier and fuller ...

Hansha,

Xelatsok

15 - 20 min? Seriously. That sounds interesting. Does the wood stem has a bigger chamber? I was interested in Air Solo but the chamber seemed a bit small. I do not get out 20 minutes from PAX 3. Then again it should be rather measured in number of puffs.
Ed’s has bigger chamber. 15+ minutes are real with pipe-style session - many gentle puffs at low pace. I like it, just bought Solo II for the reason.

Xelatsok,

michael.lm

You pack so hard you need a press?
Not so tied right now but I am planning to try to pack really tied with a press (it also creates small tobacco cakes to carry with you instead of using dosing capsules) and vapor on low temperature. My hope is to have long and low intensity session.

Ed’s has bigger chamber. 15+ minutes are real with pipe-style session - many gentle puffs at low pace. I like it, just bought Solo II for the reason.
Sounds great. What vaporizer is it? Arizer Solo 2 or Air 2? Do they have different chamber size?

Regarding PAX 3. What I found is that it's performance is improved by that little custom bottom screen
I will give other try with Pax - it’s amazing form factor (crafty is not even close in that regard) - just need to find a way to get good performance.

With crafty/mighty I noticed that grinding tobacco medium and packing tied is a key to have a good outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
michael.lm,

Xelatsok

I posted this info couple of pages before. Try Search for my messages in this thread.

Xelatsok,
Reactions: dr_no

michael.lm

Update. I tried to pack a tobacco into mighty with press I purchased at highbridinnovations.com.
Nice results: tobacco is pressed into small cakes which can be carried on the go, on low temperature it’s not too intense and can be vaped slowly for 20-30 min.

I am thinking to try it with Pax 3 (there is a version of press for it). I like a device but hate packing it on the go (too messy) and with
budkups the tobacco is not heated properly so vapor/flavor is too weak. Maybe tobacco pressed cakes is a solution :)

Last edited:
michael.lm,

michael.lm

Please report your experience!

I haven't received a press yet but after reading a forum I started using Pax again and it surprised me for good - really nice flavor/vapor. The session is not too long (15 draws with a great flavor and maybe additional 5-10 draws with less flavor but still produce nice vapor) since I don't pack a full oven (Pax doesn't succeed to heat properly all tobacco in the oven when it's fully tightly packed)

I am using a packer tool from lilpacker.com and vented oven lid with pusher from newvape.com, temperature at 360F, straight pipe tobacco with no pg/vg.

I will report how it's with using a press when I receive it. I would like to use Pax on-the-go with carrying pre-packed pressed tobacco "cakes".

michael.lm,
Top Bottom