Vaporizer for all day use with minimal reloading?

upriver

combustion-free
Hello-

A very sick friend (tremors and poor muscle control) has been asking about what kind of vaporizer would allow the user to pack it fully and use it all day long without repacking. The SSV with a large whip was the best I could think of, but that requires fequent stirring. I would love some ideas to pass along. I wanted to suggest the MFLB but I think the battery pressure required would be prohibitive, and its trench doesn't quite stand up to an "all day" quantity of loading.

Ideas?

thanks!

upriver,

Canarka

My best suggestion is the EQ. The large cyclone bowl can be packed with a lot of medication and wouldn't require as frequent stirring as other units while still having enough in there to probably last "all day".

Canarka,
a huge zephyr ion bowl. I can fit a little over a whole g... it all depends on your biomass however.

biojuggernaut,

OldGuy

Last year when I was planning for my recovery from surgery, I got an extra set of stems for my log vape (total of six). I would load all six in the morning using the straw-suction method, and keep them in a short, wide mouth glass on my bedside table (bowl up = fresh; bowl down = spent). The six fresh, metered doses were more than enough to keep me comfortable until my partner returned home from work and she could help me with things.

OldGuy,

steiner666

Serial vapist
the herbalaire would be a good option for what you're looking for. the crucibles are as big as a standard ssv bowl, but even if you pack it tight with whole buds it will vape evenly without stirring. i was skeptical on that until i bought one, now i never stir or even grind. They usually come with a spare crucible as well, so he could pack both of them and just trade them out if he manages to vape through a whole crucible in a day. Another bonus is that they have really good extraction at lower temps than most other vapes, with no possibility of combustion even on highest setting.

steiner666,

caseball2051

OldGuy said:
Last year when I was planning for my recovery from surgery, I got an extra set of stems for my log vape (total of six). I would load all six in the morning using the straw-suction method, and keep them in a short, wide mouth glass on my bedside table (bowl up = fresh; bowl down = spent). The six fresh, metered doses were more than enough to keep me comfortable until my partner returned home from work and she could help me with things.

I was going to also recommend this route. The vape can be on 24/7, there are no dials to turn, and little to no learning curve.

I bet that in this case if the order asked for more stems at a discount any dealers would be happy to help a medicinal patient. All the log type vape makers here seem to offer great customer service however I cannot speak for them directly.

caseball2051,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I can't believe no one mentioned the aromed? :o

It has a fairly large capacity. It has a heat source above the herbs, so they only get heat when you draw. And, it is easy enough to draw through that I can be set safely on a table with a long enough whip to rest near the person's mouth.

The Zephyr Ion has a pretty decent sized chamber too, and it is safer to leave on all day than the Aromed. A whip can be attached with a zip tie (the metal ones work best), and they are coming out with one of their own IIRC. If the chamber is too small you could always start filling it with a blend of herbs and concentrates, and that should last much longer. This would be my overall recommendation. ;)

I may be missing a better idea though.

Progress,

SmokingElectricity

^^^good recommendations...

but can you leave those vapes on all day with no worries??? [log vapes i know you can]

maybe a SSV with a fat boy wand and the hands free kit might be the best solution.

SmokingElectricity,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Personally, if your friend has issues with pain in their hands the SSV with the HFA would be one of my last suggestions. Yes it is set it and forget it, but take into consideration the stirring aspect AND the fact that the handsfree adapter (HFA) is kind of a PITA to have to put on and take off when you are stirring and repacking.

AGBeer,

Beezleb

Ok, I am sorry I had not read this thread sooner.

This is a tough issue due to the health aspect. In my small perspective on the health aspects with people who shake like that have others who assist them so I have no real experience with this. I shake myself but its is controllable and not all the time to largely be an issue for me like your friend.

I recommend the Zephyr Ion or the herbailair vaporizers. Now the Zephyr is not yet out with its whip for the Ion, we have been waiting on that to the point I do not genuinely believe it will ever happen but if you get tubing (that would fit the SSV or DBV size) it will fit nicely over the nipple of the Zephyr and your friend can simply press the fan button and take a draw right from the tube.

Some people use a regular whip/wand placed over the nipple and I did this with DBV wands but a little bit of vapor escapes the bottom of the glass DBV wand and this irritated to me a bit much so I removed the wand and only use the tubing. No leaks at all but heat will bend the tubing and you have to hold it up to keep it from pinching.

The Zephyr has a large bowl size that is wide so it would be easy for your friend to load and is very efficient and even in my view. Using bags are easy and simplistic but likely not realistic for your friend to change them at the mouthpiece. Bags attached to the mouthpiece would be no problem to use as you simply place it on the nipple and press the air flow button. The buttons are spaced well and the unit is very durable with a large easy to read LCD screen.

It has been quite some time since I used a herbalaire and I believe this is also a good option for your friend but I recommend looking in a herbalaire thread for more information. The herbalair is also very durable but is said to be better at bags than using whip. Price wise the herbalair is a great buy now I understand.

If money is an issue, i would consider the herbalaire first then the Zephyr second but if user friendly is paramount than I would recommend the Zephyr due to it being easier to use/operate for a person who shakes in my opinion.

I would not recommend a log vape nor desktop vape like the DBV or SSV due to the glass and need to stir. Not so much stirring needed with the DBV due to wider air path but it still did need it. I love my DBV but I have to tell you, when I would start shaking it is scary when you drop the wand, its glass and has happened to me more than few times. Also, depending on how bad your friend shakes, it may be potential that if he is shaking and turns the vape dial to on or to adjust the temp it can be done with too much force and is possible to break the dial. Rare, but a possible scenario I think.

Regarding the all day thing, I would forget that and look for what is realistically easy for people to load and unload. Unless they hit very small amounts no vaporizer will fit that bill I think.

Beezleb,

OldGuy

This is an interesting challenge. I keep thinking about what my dad (a Parkinson's patient) was and was not able to do with his hands in his final months. I think even his trying to learn to use my DBV or a similar whip(tm) style vape with an open-ended bowl would have been very frustrating for him; on some days even eating with a spoon was simply impossible.

I'm still thinking a log vape might be worth a try. My hands don't shake (yet), but I have become pretty adept at inserting a vapor tube "by feel" in the dark without waking my partner. I just steady my hand against the side of the log vape and feel for the inlet hole with the vapor tube. Perhaps I could do this with hand tremors, perhaps not. There's plenty of "play" between the vaporizer inlet and the vapor tube bowl; if the vaporizer inlet tube were slightly flared at the end, I think insertion might be even easier.

Upriver, can you elaborate a bit on your friends "tremors and poor muscle control"? Specifically, what is your friend able to do and not do with his hands? Is it less severe at any predictable times? Does he'/she have someone who could assist with use of a vaporizer? Maybe a little more specific information may help focus the recommendations.

OldGuy,

Beezleb

A log vape holds such a small amount that it is counter to one of his main points. Log vapes tend to hold the smallest amount compared to other vapes outside perhaps some portables and even then it would be close in my opinion.

Beezleb,

OldGuy

Beezleb said:
A log vape holds such a small amount that it is counter to one of his main points. Log vapes tend to hold the smallest amount compared to other vapes outside perhaps some portables and even then it would be close in my opinion.

See posts #4 and #6 above. :)

OldGuy,

Beezleb

OldGuy said:
Beezleb said:

See posts #4 and #6 above. :)

Those experiences and aspects do not help someone who is shaking. The issue being difficulty in loading a bowl with such medical issues as shaking. I absolutely believe that someone who is shaking would benefit the least from a log vaporizer due to the necessity of holding something that would likely be difficult for them to maintain a hold of and the loading issue.

I stand by my recommendation to not recommend log vapes in this situation for the issues I have stated.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom