Vaporize hash? Smoke hash? Or both? To ensure maximum efficiency.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have been vaping my hash, but I have been seriously considering smoking some of the leftovers, or hash abv, for lack of a better term.

Sometimes I feel like I am getting more from my hash when I combust, and I don't want to be wasteful. I was wondering what people here thought. Do you prefer vaping or smoking your hash, to get the most from it?

Vicki,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i only vape whatever is available. That's why i've got a oil/hash glass piece for the Bud Toaster (no holes in the bottom) and the temp can be increased to volatize the heavier material. At least that's the plan (eventually it will work).

Hippie Dickie,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have tried vaping my hash, but it was too messy and not very efficient. I just smoke my hash now to get the most out of it. I don't even bother trying vaping it anymore.

Stu,

Nosferatu

Hippie Dickie said:
i only vape whatever is available. That's why i've got a oil/hash glass piece for the Bud Toaster (no holes in the bottom) and the temp can be increased to volatize the heavier material. At least that's the plan (eventually it will work).

Hippie Dickie: I get a laugh in a good way about your Bud Toaster. I never understood are you like Tom and Pam for example trying to make a vape to market here? Or did you just make some nice ass vape for personal use just for the hell of it? :D I always see you talking about it and it seems awesome it just always makes me chuckle how your some guy with this cool vape that seems commercial quality but I never understood if its just for you or to market. Haha maybe I'm just vaped too much but it always makes me smile.

Annnyyyways on topic: If hash is basically just the the compounds of marijuana with no plant matter, isnt smoking it basically pretty close to vaporizing anyways? Or do I not understand hash, I thought it was just compressed kief?

Nosferatu,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
(off topic: well, i've always threatened to sell it if cannabis goes legal, and it's now close enough for me ... i've been very slow to try to commercialize the BT -- holding 400F in the palm of my hand gives me pause for thought. It had better be fucking right before it goes commercial, it seems to me.

i'm also trying to demonstrate that an all-glass, temp controlled vape is not that hard to do, really, and could be pretty cheap in mass quanitites.)

Hippie Dickie,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
masbanji92 said:
If hash is basically just the the compounds of marijuana with no plant matter, isnt smoking it basically pretty close to vaporizing anyways? Or do I not understand hash, I thought it was just compressed kief?

The hash I have now is compressed kief. I can break it up to a powder with a razor blade. I know there are different ways to make hash, though, I am not familiar with them all.

It was my understanding that anything that involved a flame igniting a substance was considered combustion.

It has been so long since I combusted. I packed up all my combustion materials last year, and it would be a pain to dig it all out. :lol: I'm contemplating doing it, though, just to test this.

Vicki,

gvape

I just added an Eclipse Vape H2O to my collection and so far I really like it for my concentrates. I have tried concentrates in most of my vapes and they work in them all, but I really like using the Eclipse to vaporize it now.

On the other hand, when I put concentrates in the PD, it seems to go on forever. I always put a base before the concentrates though other wise it just becomes a mess and is stuck all over the screen. Before getting the Eclipse I was using my SSV to get those higher temps. Either way I guess what I am saying is I like the hotter temps for the concentrates.

gvape,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
One of my buddies uses hot knives/glass nails to vape/smoke his hash.

Wouldnt this be considered a happy medium?

AGBeer,

Nycdeisel

thats still like smoking IMO, AGBeer, since I sometimes use a glass wand to combust herb, so its sort of similar. I have even used a clean glass hand pipe, then dabbed some hash to the inside wall of the bowl and then smushed it with the glow rod and it was still smoke as far as I could tell.

I also always thought hash would be too messy in a vape, unless its something lke the Essential VAAAPP maybe, which also has a water piece attaching version if Im not mistaken.

Nycdeisel,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Nycdeisel said:
...unless its something lke the Essential VAAAPP maybe, which also has a water piece attaching version if Im not mistaken.

Good call. I totally forgot about this one :p

They make a few 'models' of these concentrate based vapes. This would be my first option if I had regular access to hash.

AGBeer,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I say hot knives / glass bong straw are the way to go.
There's no cherry and no ash; I think it's still vaping

either way its still my preferred method for hash

rabblerouser,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
If it really is just pressed kief you should be able to vape it if you can crumble it or slice very thin. All about surface area so just don't use large lumps or if so, break them down. Not all vapes can take it though I know you have an LB and it isn't recommended. I have used pressed kief, crumbled & sprinkled on trenches in the LB with success.

Lo,

gvape

Nycdeisel said:
thats still like smoking IMO, AGBeer, since I sometimes use a glass wand to combust herb, so its sort of similar. I have even used a clean glass hand pipe, then dabbed some hash to the inside wall of the bowl and then smushed it with the glow rod and it was still smoke as far as I could tell.

I also always thought hash would be too messy in a vape, unless its something lke the Essential VAAAPP maybe, which also has a water piece attaching version if Im not mistaken.

The Essential Vaaapp is exactly what I am talking about just the water version, which is called the Eclipse H20. There are two versions of the water pipe version. The newer model comes with 14mm and 18mm connetion as well as two connectors for different size slide water pipes. Here is what it looks like on a water pipe. I can post some picture later of it on mine.
ALT-2010-8-06-220_1.jpg

gvape,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Lo said:
If it really is just pressed kief you should be able to vape it if you can crumble it or slice very thin. All about surface area so just don't use large lumps or if so, break them down. Not all vapes can take it though I know you have an LB and it isn't recommended. I have used pressed kief, crumbled & sprinkled on trenches in the LB with success.

Yeah, I have used fine powder kief in the LB with no problem, like you described. I am afraid to vap hash in it though because it is much stickier. I have been using my Vapor Warez because I have no other choice, and it gunks up a screen almost immediately. :(

I looked at the video for the Essential Vaaap, and it didn't look appealing to me at all. I hate to have to rely on a lighter again, and it didn't look very efficient. I can't afford to waste a speck of this hash. This is the video I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRxVv_Ykgk

That leaves me with limited options, like using my Vapor Warez or combustion, which is bad for me. :/

Vicki,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I think the general consensus of those who use these vapes is that a TORCH should be utilized as opposed to the nasty filthy bic lovingness.

AGBeer,

SmokingElectricity

i vape hash in my DBV. i have a wand dedicated just to hash and pressed kief. try to break it up as small as you can and turn the dial up a notch or two. one load will last a long, long time.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

Sorry Vick but that was just a shitty video.

Check out Dave Warden at the Weed Report using his, he makes it look awesome! :lol:

Thanks gvape, I didnt know the water adapter version had a different name.

It should be used with hash and such, not herb, and you should use a good torch for the best results.

If you REALLY want to vaporize hash, this seems like the best candidate for the job.

Nycdeisel,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Nycdeisel said:
Sorry Vick but that was just a shitty video.

Check out Dave Warden at the Weed Report using his, he makes it look awesome! :lol:

Thanks gvape, I didnt know the water adapter version had a different name.

It should be used with hash and such, not herb, and you should use a good torch for the best results.

If you REALLY want to vaporize hash, this seems like the best candidate for the job.

I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9Syr07KIA

I'm still not sure if I like it. It doesn't seem very stealthy, but I am used to the MFLB. :D

Here's another question to throw out in the wind. :p

Which do you think is more potent? Loose powder kief, or hash that is pressed kief? In my experience, I think the pressed hash seems more potent. I also thought I read somewhere that pressing the trichs makes them more potent, but that doesn't sound true to me. Thoughts?

Vicki,

audiodelic

... Boom Shiva !
Nice topic. I vape only hash but this is not the kief type hash so it does have some plant material. Im using a DBV/MFLB/VG with good success. But i do have varieties which are too sticky and not recommended for the mflb.

Once the bowl is exhausted im left with dry powder all the stickiness malleability vaporizes, eventually burning becomes too easy and taste deteriorates.At this point of time i stash it for making cannabutter later.

audiodelic,

Nycdeisel

I dont think smoking(let alone, vaporizing) is the stealthiest activity ;) LOL

with pressed hash your getting more hash with however much you put in since its denser, so it lasts longer and gets you higher. that probably didnt make a lot of sense, hopefully you understand what Im trying to convey

Nycdeisel,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I always vape it on a bed of herb and it works great. I think the ssv is great for vaping hash this way. Just put a thin layer of bud down and then flatten the hash on top of it, try to get it to cover most of the surface area. Some ppl complain about the herb being cooked before the hash is done though, so you may notice an ABV-ish sort of taste for the last part of the bowl. never bothered me enough to look for alternative methods.

I get a ton of hits before it stops. At which point i dump the bowl into the rest o fmy abv collection to be revaped in the HA or processed in some other shape or form later on, so i never feel that i'm being wasteful. Fuck combustion.

steiner666,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I've done it just in the whip, but i don't think the hash really pops that way. Like it doesn't stand out too much from just vaping cannabis, but it does work ok.

I think the glass bong straws let you experience it more as a concentrated form.

I've harped on these a little bit, but i think they are really slick.

I like my vapes and regular cannabis, but i think i could put them all away for the bong straws if i had a regular supply of hashish.

one more thing, that's kinda what i'm getting at, you'll get a bunch of hits outta the whip with hash, but i'd rather just take two or three hits off the bong straw.

rabblerouser,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
one more thing, that's kinda what i'm getting at, you'll get a bunch of hits outta the whip with hash, but i'd rather just take two or three hits off the bong straw.

to ensure max efficiency you should tailor the size of your chunk so that its just enough to fill your your waterpipe. 1 hit = 1 lungful.

btw i love my bongstraws too! however, i have switched to just using my herb iron and vaporswing. put a chunk directly on a cold! HI then hit the button, and hold it under the bell. when your done you have a little white ball of ash to knock off. let it cool for 1 min or 2, then repeat - if required. you can take some epic tokes this way, or tiny little one hitters.

otherwise, i will vape loose dusty stuff in the supreme vape, you can notice a difference in taste - not for the better. but its my favorite way to deall with it. i dont bother pressing it anymore.

notmyrealUSERname,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
notmyrealUSERname said:

to ensure max efficiency you should tailor the size of your chunk so that its just enough to fill your your waterpipe. 1 hit = 1 lungful.

thanks for clarifying, yeah the bong straws seem best with individual hits, just a tiny chunk even smaller than a pea.

2 or 3 of those and i should be set as well or better than a longer whip hash sesh

rabblerouser,

BL4sT

Hot knives are
rabblerouser said:
I say hot knives / glass bong straw are the way to go.
There's no cherry and no ash; I think it's still vaping

either way its still my preferred method for hash

If hot knives are vaping, it would be great. I used hot knives for over 6 years, almost only using that. But IMO it's combustion, depends on how hot your knives are, but if they're red it's combustion

Hot knives still the best way for hash, for effect though.. More high, with less quantity for sure!

The hash here taste chemical/cleaning products most of the time. So I prefer doing my hash oil, cause bubble hash seems pretty hard to make

BL4sT,
Top Bottom