Vaporization temperature dependent selection of effects

DeezBraz

That's a very good find Vape Nation! I didn't realize that THC-A's burn temperature was that low, I figured it would be around THC, now a lot of times when mixing my ejuice and concentrates I have to pay more attention then.

DeezBraz,

Jkk007

Where are you with this research? Do these apply to ejuice vaping?

Temperature oC Temperature oF General Effect
140 284 2AI
150 302
160 320 E,2AN,3AI,AE,AX,AS,BD
170 338 AX,2AN,AS,2AI
180 356 AE,AD,2AI,AX
185 365 SE
190 374 2SE,AD,AX
200 392
210 410
220 428 AI,AN,E,SE
225 437 SE
230 446 SE

As promised, here's the post. Don't read too much into it at the moment, since I'm posting this from work and I'm sure there are corrections to be made. But, in a nutshell if a particular compound had a boiling point of 157C, I attributed it to 160C, since the Extreme that I use can only increment or decrement 5 degrees at a time. I then went and cross referenced each property with each 'assigned' boiling point and put a tick mark in a rough table. When I was finished I was able to enter data for a particular temperature; for example, at 185C there is at least one compound that can contribute a sedative effect. At 140C there are at least 2 compounds that contribute an antiiflammatory effect. There are mistakes in here, I can guarantee that, but I will edit and notate corrections. And yes, vaporization of these compounds emeshed in an organic matrix is not the same as boiling of pure compounds.

I can offer two general conclusions; if you want an anti inflammatory/analgesic effect, keep your temperatures lower. And if you want a sedative/couchlock effect keep your temperatures higher.

Some more corrections and opinions to come tonight.

Tom

Jkk007,

harmless healing

So I just got my first temperature accurate vape, a mighty. It's amazing. But reading these tables I'm a little concerned. If the original post is to be believed, all actives are not all released until 220. My mighty only goes to 210. Am I missing actives?

I have an EVO so could probably capture them in there. This is quite new to me so apologies if it seems a silly question.

Cheers

harmless healing,

sativasam

NO SMOKING
So I just got my first temperature accurate vape, a mighty. It's amazing. But reading these tables I'm a little concerned. If the original post is to be believed, all actives are not all released until 220. My mighty only goes to 210. Am I missing actives?

I have an EVO so could probably capture them in there. This is quite new to me so apologies if it seems a silly question.

Cheers
If you vaped your weed until there was no more vapour at 210c in your mighty; then put the weed into another device at 220c to finish it off, you would find that the amount of vapour left is not of massive significance. I don't vape above 190c as there are more dangerous toxins released above this temperature. At 220c the vapour can get thick and I personally find the taste can get a bit nasty and makes me cough. Im guessing your saving your AVB; so your going to use whats not been vaped at a later date any way right? No worries then IMO

EDIT: Oh and the Mighty goes up to 210c but it hovers above and bellow this temp. I think it reaches 214c- 215c from memory. So not having put an extra 5 Degrees through the bud isn't really a huge amount of waste.

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
@harmless healing, those temperature tables can be a little misleading in the sense that they make it seem as if this is a binary process when it is not. The active components will evaporate at temperatures below their "boiling point", it just takes longer. @pakalolo can articulate it better than I can...

In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about it?

:peace:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
As I don't get high for medicinal benefits my thinking on this subject is rather simple. It depends on the device and the cannabis but I think of it as lower temps for a light floaty day time high - and higher temps for more stoney night time. On my Mighty that would be 165c daytime high - 185c night time high.

DabDiva

@harmless healing, those temperature tables can be a little misleading in the sense that they make it seem as if this is a binary process when it is not. The active components will evaporate at temperatures below their "boiling point", it just takes longer. @pakalolo can articulate it better than I can...

In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about it?

:peace:

I would like to hear more about this when possible

DabDiva,

darbarikanada

this has probably been covered already but I haven't seen it - apologies for unnecessary redundancies:

is there a rule of thumb as far as how long the temp. readout needs to be at a targeted # before you'd consider the weed itself to be at that temp., prepped for a vape? (I have a mighty, fwiw)

I keep hearing about 'pre-heating' the weed. I understand that this isn't binary, exact science, etc., but have people found from experience that giving the vaporizer a certain amount of time at a temp., instead of vaping as soon as the display reaches the #, makes for a better vape?

darbarikanada,

Ricardo

Different units have differing degrees of accuracy.... I tend to start drawing on the Ascent as soon as it starts warming up - that way I get to taste the flavour of the herb at low temperatures before the effects start to kick in at 195°C (383°C)....I usually use very small loads (I think there's a thread about microdosing?), so I don't feel I'm wasting product. I'll sometimes take the last few hits at max heat if I'm not quite where I want to be but 195 usually does the trick.

Ricardo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
this has probably been covered already but I haven't seen it - apologies for unnecessary redundancies:

is there a rule of thumb as far as how long the temp. readout needs to be at a targeted # before you'd consider the weed itself to be at that temp., prepped for a vape? (I have a mighty, fwiw)

I keep hearing about 'pre-heating' the weed. I understand that this isn't binary, exact science, etc., but have people found from experience that giving the vaporizer a certain amount of time at a temp., instead of vaping as soon as the display reaches the #, makes for a better vape?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: the process is too complicated to have an answer that applies generally. Devices heat up at different rates and have different heating chambers. Besides, a precise temperature is not necessary, no matter whether we're talking about the load or whatever place the sensor actually resides. This is because good vapour is released starting at lower temperatures, increasing in rate as the device comes up to the set temperature. The release rate doesn't vary enough to make a difference of a few degrees significant. In general, what happens with many designs is that waiting before hitting increases the vapour density of the hit. Vapour is fairly heavy and doesn't flow out of the oven/heating path until you inhale. In other words, it builds up. You can see this with a design like the MFLB, which lets you watch the vapour form.

I think that the Mighty is one of those designs that will give a thicker hit if you wait for a bit, since it has a cooling chamber that is great for building up vapour. I can't say for sure since I've never used one.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer

i have a precise temperature display (and setting) for my vape. i have a 60 second count-down timer (in the software) after the vape hits the preset temperature (25 to 30 seconds), before the green "take a toke" light is lit. recently i have given the herb an extra 30 seconds to "heat soak" (radiation, more than conduction) and definitely get a thicker hit. i think (can't prove) it helps melt (and open) the trichomes just a bit more.

i keep the draw tube on the vial to prevent wisps of vapor from escaping - or i will inhale this escaping vapor, for the flavor, then take the hit.

I keep hearing about 'pre-heating' the weed

Some vapes, especially conduction based portables need time to warm up between hits and or get warmed up initially. I find heat soaks very important on the solo, but not necessarily on every vape.

nondarb,

TboneToker

However a person uses the tools at their disposal to accomplish a given task is always a win. If using a specific temperature setting, like 415 F, on one vape and moving to another vape at the same temp does not mean the extraction effects are duplicated. The use of a specific temp setting (415 F) makes it more simple to have a repeatable accurate experience for the particular vape you are using.

This is the post that should be heeded here. This is very very true, and yes while different temperatures will boil differing substances the vape you are using matters too. This is one of the reasons I believe certain vapes like the aromed and log vapes are great because they really seem good at extracting a lot no matter what temperature. I guess what I mean is I can get more lifted from the same amount of material at the same temperature with a volcano or aromed as I can with a vape that vapes less evenly like the arizer solo or even extreme q.

TboneToker,

pressure

Hi

I notice if i don't set the tempature to max on my mighty i feel like im wasting my weed as i don't get the full effect

pressure,

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
i have a precise temperature display (and setting) for my vape. i have a 60 second count-down timer (in the software) after the vape hits the preset temperature (25 to 30 seconds), before the green "take a toke" light is lit. recently i have given the herb an extra 30 seconds to "heat soak" (radiation, more than conduction) and definitely get a thicker hit. i think (can't prove) it helps melt (and open) the trichomes just a bit more.

i keep the draw tube on the vial to prevent wisps of vapor from escaping - or i will inhale this escaping vapor, for the flavor, then take the hit.
I don't have empirical evidence either, but I certainly believe this to be the case through many trials.
Especially when I add Bubble Hash intro the mix (more trichomes )
A heat soak seems to melt the resin and it re-condenses within the load.
Hopefully this gives you some (extra) ground to stand on per sé in your own research and development.
It applies in both my convection and conduction vapes.

With my convection (DBV)..I execute a very short draw (2-3 seconds )to achieve the same effect, then stir the load whilst still hot, then let the temp stabilize again before taking a real draw.

The difference is night and day upon draw#1.

Ricardo

I notice if i don't set the tempature to max on my mighty i feel like im wasting my weed as i don't get the full effect
Mate, I haven't got a Mighty - I've got an Ascent but at first I thought it wasn't working at lower temps - 195°C (383°F) but then it hit me... maybe I needed to draw a little slower, or take an extra toke but I can get super high at that temp.... every vape takes some getting to know. The great part is that you can use the ABV later at higher (max) temperature and get high all over again. It's like a kind of magic dude :peace::leaf:

darbarikanada

I think of it in terms of how many vapes = one bong hit; with my MFLB it was something like 6-8, with the mighty about half that. add to that how long it takes to vape, compared with a bong, and it takes some serious time to vape a bong hit's worth. another difference: a bong hit is like going from 0 to 60 in 5 sec., while a vaporizer is a much slower ascent - like 15 min. to get to 60. it might be worth waiting 15 min. before evaluating how well the job's getting done. I usually have no problem getting to 'uncle' with a a vaporizer - it just takes longer (and it sure is easier on the lungs - and tastes yummy!).

Skyscraper

I think of it in terms of how many vapes = one bong hit; with my MFLB it was something like 6-8, with the mighty about half that. add to that how long it takes to vape, compared with a bong, and it takes some serious time to vape a bong hit's worth. another difference: a bong hit is like going from 0 to 60 in 5 sec., while a vaporizer is a much slower ascent - like 15 min. to get to 60. it might be worth waiting 15 min. before evaluating how well the job's getting done. I usually have no problem getting to 'uncle' with a a vaporizer - it just takes longer (and it sure is easier on the lungs - and tastes yummy!).

QFT! You hit the nail right on the head!

Skyscraper,
Top Bottom