VaporGenie

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
So.. This happened.

0HGpJ5O.jpg

OF

@paytonpenn Is that a cracked Bronze Sherlock VaporGenie?

That sucks for sure.

Shades of the Liberty Bell. Seriously, it can be an issue with casting Bronze. Even cutting the end off might not stop it, and you'd have to cut back past the end of the crack, and the MP probably wouldn't fit?

It's the nature of the metal grain structure, the area is typically filled with tiny cracks and even more microscopic ones that haven't 'surfaced' yet. That's why the Liberty Bell has such a wide crack, the material around the main crack has been removed to keep flaws there from spreading. And then the rivet you see on your money was driven in to take some of the load off the end of the crack. All fairly common repairs to cast bells as I understand, to prolong their service life.

As I recall the Liberty Bell cracked when ringing the death of a Supreme Court guy or something according to legend? This crack didn't appear at some party of note did it?

Anyway, sadly replacement is in order I think.

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
Glass Sherlock VG, you're the one,
That makes my vapor thick,
A pinch in the hole, and blaze on top,
whenever I feel sick,

Vapor flows through window of glass,
As I "torch a rip"
Visible fumes knock me on my ass
After individual sip.

Wood is good, but Coil's just fair
I don't like to fight for a hit,
Bats are fun, but only for one,
Glass Sherlock wins from where I sit!

jules172

Ahhh my first 'vape' back in the dizzaaay. This thing worked great! Compared to a standard combustion pipe, the convection "element" screwed on top and kept material from spilling out. I used it so much, the filter element shrank down and got used up. Moved on from this one, but it will always hold a spot in my heart.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Yeah. My first vape too (ss coil), and while it therefore holds a spot in my heart, it also still holds a spot in my rotation.

I leave it packed and ready to go In the garage, with a lighter and some hemp wick. Perfect for a quick hit or 3 on demand. Probably gets used about twice a week on average.

Pretty much indestructible too.

hillbill

The metal bats are hard to hurt but get hot fast. Thumb over intake and run water over it to cool quickly. They as well as the coil are hard hitters and very low maintenance. Bit of a learning curve but are very effective and really do a job on taste if you are careful.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The Vaporgenie is one of the vapes I recommand! Never thought about to sell mine (a mapple classic) even if I don't use it a lot actually cause my 4 years old daughter....I'm not the better organized guy and I don't want to let around some torch lighter since she could injury herself...

dgmulf

(Sorry for the cross-post; if it's not allowed, feel free to delete one.)

I'm considering buying a Firefly 2. The only other vape I own is a glass Sherlock VaporGenie. Can anyone compare the vaping experience on these two devices, in terms of vapor quality, flavor, ease of use, etc.?

maremaresing

I feel like I'm gravedigging this thread, but I just finally got a VG coil (first vape purchase in years) and I just wanted to share my excitement. I've been on the verge of getting one for eons, and always talk myself out of it. Well, I'm going to amsterdam next week and I figured it would be just the thing, rather than buying a throwaway piece and smoking.

Apparently these things kick like a mule, so I can't wait to try next week!

I have a handcarved vg I got off a member a while back, that works ok. There is a big gap around the ceramic disk, though, that I feel maybe shouldn't be there? The Coil has no gaps, which is great. Isn't there a risk of spilling the bowl if its bent slightly?

Did I get the latest Coil type? I got it right from vg directly.

qJc7NOh.jpg

Gray Area

@maremaresing I did exactly the same as you last summer, and bought a coil to take (unused) from the UK to Amsterdam.

I found it performed much better than I expected and was really impressed tbh. Fantastic vape for the ridiculously low price it costs.

I'll never get why this thing (and VG's in general) aren't getting more love as a low cost vaporizer... especially when another low cost butane powered vape (naming no names) pops up in every thread you read (plug in or portable) and is hailed as the second coming and a serious alternative to any vape you may have considered buying for whatever reason. From my experience of both, there is no comparison, the VG wins by a mile every time.

Ended up leaving mine in a coffee shop as I couldn't clean it before my flight back. Haven't got around to getting another yet, but do intend to and highly recommend it.

Couple of observations;
I was at a few evening events when away which were dark/low lighting, found the stirring needed for even extraction a pain as I couldn't see anything (would have been the same with my lotus I guess).
It gets hot, no sticking it straight in your pocket.
If you screw the two parts together too tightly you can get a bit of stretching of the spring and I found this caused some gaps in the front end. I was careful not to overtighten. It'll stay together in your pocket no problem.
Use a torch lighter for quicker, more consistent results, and you can also use it to torch the screen clean too.

Enjoy :peace:

Vitolo

Vaporist
While my Glass Sherlock VG is my favorite... and the wooden VG my second,
I have owned the coil for 7 years and it gets used about 3-4 times a week.
While 7 years is surely not forever, my VG coil shows no sign of wear.
I have not had to replace the ceramic insert yet either.

OF

While 7 years is surely not forever, my VG coil shows no sign of wear.
I have not had to replace the ceramic insert yet either.

I'm with you there. I don't have as many hours on mine perhaps, some have seen considerable use and I can't find wear/damage with close inspection. Nothing degraded, as you might expect from the material (Carbide) used in the application. It's not reactive or thermally stressed much at all.

Yet reports of 'wear' have come up a time or two and no doubt has some basis. I suspect it's mechanical. The stuff is brittle, if the heat exchanger was say loose I could imagine battering? Otherwise heat should attack it in the center where it's hottest, not the edges you'd think?

OF

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Yeah I used to use my VG everyday. Since getting my other vapes I don't use it as much, but I do still pull it out occasionally. It might just be the large bowl size, but I can get bigger hits out of the VG than any of my other vapes. It takes a bit of technique, the learning curve could be part of why it's not as popular as some other vapes.

Those of us 'in the know' realize what a great vape it really is! ;)

I've never noticed any signs of wear or damage to the heat exchanger either. :2c:

6rGAPSm.jpg

Frzesnd.jpg

:peace:

Top Bottom