VaporGenie

OF

Always buy direct and kind of solved and don't even mind replacing filters but the silly fussiness to buy more than 1 or maybe 2 is weak. I can't see how someone with 4 or 5 heat filters is a business threat.

Yokohama lets me replace my tires whenever I wish. Gillette lets me have as many shavers as I want and I can get all the batteries for my flashlight that I may want. Vapor Genie reminds me of the Soup Nazi.

I don't think that's a fair analogy. VG is happy to sell you move vapes, right? LOTS more vapes. As many as you want? Their policy is not to sell component parts except under very restricted conditions. Does Gilette sell repair parts or just expendables (blades)? As a widely used example in economics classes, this (sale of blades) is the real business they are in. They have, in the past, given away razors so folks would buy the replacement blades. Big money in expendables in some markets. Remember, the heat exchanger (it's not a filter, filters mechanically block things like dirt in the air or sediment in water or debris in your engine oil) is not considered an expendable. It doesn't wear out if you follow directions. It has to be damaged/abuse to need replacement generally. They do not 'wear away with use'.

Arizer sells expendables (like stems) for Solo and Air, and with some restrictions batteries. But not so PCBs seals and internal parts? I see this as being basically the same deal. A maker, like VG or VM say, is under no obligation past honoring their warranty at sale. They are under no obligation to sell us anything, really, including an entire replacement. I'm grateful for what I see as a reasonable compromise here, VG is one of the good guys, complete with white hats.

OF

ZC

@hillbill

While I agree that having 4 or 5 heat exchangers (fair clarification @OF) is not a threat to their business, it is pretty clear that if you need 4 or 5 heat exchangers you are doing something wrong. They don't wear away with proper use, so if you need constant replacements you are unfortunately doing something wrong.

And to add to what @OF is saying, VG does sell expendables very freely, mouthpieces, screens, and even the coil to hold up the screen (not sure why you'd need to replace that). They even give screens away for free. Gillette doesn't do that. I don't know of any other vape manufacturer that does that.

And all things considered, while buying a heat exchanger isn't as easy as buying a screen from the store, it's still not difficult or out of reach. It's a pretty easy process, it just takes a bit more effort.

OF

And to add to what @OF is saying, VG does sell expendables very freely, mouthpieces, screens, and even the coil to hold up the screen (not sure why you'd need to replace that). They even give screens away for free. Gillette doesn't do that. I don't know of any other vape manufacturer that does that.

I can help you with that 'why would a guy ever need the little spring coil thing that retains the screen?'......it's for when you get sloppy and launch the original off stage left. I heard it bounce but could not find it despite considerable effort. I stole one from another VG and ordered it's replacement along with some MPs (fifty cents each? How cool is that??). As so often happens that meant I then found the lost part of course (it has stuck on the wall when I thought it bounced into the carpet.....).

So those spring retainers are needed by us clumsy guys.

OF

They then act like you're a thief when you try to BUY replacements.

Thats quite literally the exact opposite of my own experiences. I actually popped in this thread to praise VG's customer service! I bought a smooth hand carved a few months back to find the wooden top was a bit wiggly on the threaded portion, after consistent use it got to a point where it would rattle. I mentioned this to VG CS and they asked if I could capture the issue in a picture, I did and was promptly send out a new cap (and screens and MP's for my trouble!).

Still love my genies, even more so after receiving great service. Need to get around to picking up a BSVG to see what all the hubbub is about!

marduk

daydreamer
Just got a SS Coil and Bronze Sherlock... Shipping was crazy quick, but otherwise I'm not too thrilled.

When I unscrewed the Coil to prepare it for an ISO bath, lots of tiny black particles fell out of the bowl area. Yep. Soon enough I discovered that whoever assembled this particular Coil had way over-tightened the pieces so the end of the inner top coil wire had taken a chunk out of the top side of the filter. So that's the first thing I'll have to contact VG about.

The other issue I have is the quality of the craftmanship on the Bronze Sherlock. Based on everything I've read, and the pics I've seen, I expected much higher quality. The base of the one I received has an uneven surface with a pivot point, so it rocks and rattles if you tap it while it's resting on a hard flat surface. There are gouges and divots in multiple areas, but the worst is where the bowl area tapers into the stem.

Expectation vs reality.

mHMNxqg.png

XJCrJw9.jpg

If I had paid $30 to get this from China, I'd probably be fine, but this isn't one of those! Arrgh...

Am I being unreasonable or too picky? I kind of want to think this was sent out in error...

Those who have Bronze Sherlocks, do yours look like this? If VG changed factories or something and they all look this way now, I'd probably want to switch to a hand-carved wood model. Ehhh, this was supposed to be my butane "show" piece.

Sorry about the long rant. This is really the only place I could vent about this. :shrug:

bounce5

Just got a SS Coil and Bronze Sherlock... Shipping was crazy quick, but otherwise I'm not too thrilled.

When I unscrewed the Coil to prepare it for an ISO bath, lots of tiny black particles fell out of the bowl area. Yep. Soon enough I discovered that whoever assembled this particular Coil had way over-tightened the pieces so the end of the inner top coil wire had taken a chunk out of the top side of the filter. So that's the first thing I'll have to contact VG about.

The other issue I have is the quality of the craftmanship on the Bronze Sherlock. Based on everything I've read, and the pics I've seen, I expected much higher quality. The base of the one I received has an uneven surface with a pivot point, so it rocks and rattles if you tap it while it's resting on a hard flat surface. There are gouges and divots in multiple areas, but the worst is where the bowl area tapers into the stem.

Expectation vs reality.

mHMNxqg.png

XJCrJw9.jpg

If I had paid $30 to get this from China, I'd probably be fine, but this isn't one of those! Arrgh...

Am I being unreasonable or too picky? I kind of want to think this was sent out in error...

Those who have Bronze Sherlocks, do yours look like this? If VG changed factories or something and they all look this way now, I'd probably want to switch to a hand-carved wood model. Ehhh, this was supposed to be my butane "show" piece.

Sorry about the long rant. This is really the only place I could vent about this. :shrug:

That is super rough looking. How did that get past quality control? I've been wanting a bronze sherlock show piece for a long time as well. I hope that it was all some horrible mistake and they send you a good one. Keep us posted.

hillbill

The SS coil element "dust" just don't seem right either. I've been around with VG about other issues but basic QC has been perfect and delivery before I was ready.

My coil is also a very heavy hitter but does get warm. Escape's AC vent cools it quick though.

Vaping a greenish bud in a VG with gentleness is something special....terpine bliss.

marduk

daydreamer
Got a half a dozen vgs' and all looked perfect when new. Nothing like that. That should never have been sold. This came right from Vapor Genie?

Straight from Vapor Genie.

The SS coil element "dust" just don't seem right either.

I know... When I saw that "dust" at first I was like WTF, but after I got everything unscrewed and the slightly larger pieces fell out and I saw the damaged ceramic filter, I wasn't surprised at all. All the parts had been screwed together way too tightly. The sharp end of the inner coil just broke off a chunk of the filter by being forced into it. When I was unscrewing that part, I could hear the metal scraping against the ceramic.

I've sent Vapor Genie an email requesting replacement. Will update when I hear back.

grokit

well-worn member
I returned the bronze vg I ordered, it wasn't what I expected but nowhere as bad as this. I sidestepped the issue of expectations and just changed my mind, exchanged it for the glass sherlock. I also have a wooden vg classic that I like quite a bit, but imo that glass sherlock could be the pinnacle of the vg experience.

marduk

daydreamer
that glass sherlock could be the pinnacle of the vg experience.

You're probably right! I have a Glass Sherlock, but I wanted something less fragile. And I like the look of the Bronze. Anyway... VAS... :)

Interim update: I'm pleased with VG's customer service so far. They got back to me on Monday (I sent my email on Sunday) and even sent me a return label without me asking for one. Looks like they are standing behind their products, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a good-looking Bronze soon.

Last edited:

OF

Looks like they are standing behind their products, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a good-looking Bronze soon.

Not to quibble, I think you have every reason to be optimistic. They have a first class (and well earned) reputation, a damaged VG is clearly an anomaly. Too many of us have received perfectly polished units without a single scratch or fingerprint to mean this is anything else but a mistake/accident. Few of us have had occasion to test VG's CS guys, but to me it's no surprise they 'got right on it'. They probably can't top Randy at PIU, but I think it's great if they 'give it the old college try'.

Hopefully soon (perhaps by the weekend?) you too will be 'bonding with the Big Bronze one'. Neat as it is when first meeting, just wait until it starts to get that 'old, worn penny' finish going on. Fondling it makes it your own in a fun sort of way.

I'm glad it's getting resolved, thanks for passing the good word.

Regards,

OF

MoRpHeD

Hello!
Thinking about getting a vaporgenie and have one question.
Is there some charring of the wood on the head when used correct?
Especially on older vaporgenies.
Thank you!

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
No. If used correctly there isn't any charring of the wood on the top. There is a Stainless Steel sleeve in the top that the filter slides into, the wood is on the outside away from the flame.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Great choice, Enjoy.

The Vaporgenie classic was my first vape and is still in regular rotation, most of the other couple dozen I've gotten since then have been given away, sold/traded or are collecting dust.

The VG still holds up as a Great vape and a true bargain in my opinion, where many newer vape designs have come and gone.

:rockon:

Gray Area

Well I just received my VG coil in the post. Won't get to try it until Tuesday, as I've bought it to take to Amsterdam from the UK in a plane, so have decided to keep it unused till I get there.

I have a lotus which I love so don't imagine I'll have too much problem getting the torch technique down.

I would have preferred a bare wood classic, but opted for the innocuous looking coil instead. And after seeing those videos by @paytonpenn and @WakeAndVape (thanks guys they're great :tup: ) I have no worries about the coil producing some nice vapour for my trip.

Killa $moke Ninja

I recently dropped my glass bat and broke it for the second time but managed to salvage the ceramic piece and other metal pieces. I love the glass bat , but I would rather have the sherlock. I asked VG if my ceramic piece from my bat would fit in the sherlock, because I was hoping I could just get the glass parts since it costs so much and I didn't want my salvaged parts to go to waste but they said it wouldn't fit. So I was thinking of making a sherlock or j hook mod with a healthstone pipe .Can anyone recommend a good site to find the parts I'm looking for ?or a good custom glass maker who can make this happen? The ceramic piece fits perfectly in a 14 mm female. I hear the original vg glass sherlock is a little too big to fit in my pocket also so I was thinking I could find something a little bit more portable.

Last edited:
Killa $moke Ninja,

grokit

well-worn member
You can look up terms like "14mm glass adapter" on fleabay, there's lots of parts to mix and match but I think that nothing you come up with will equal the performance of the real, custom-made, thing :2c:

:sherlock:

Top Bottom