VaporGenie

murf1sh

Does anyone have experience replacing the standard heat exchange disc or concentrate pad with a fritted quartz disc?

relevant link:http://www.technicalglass.com/product_pages/fused_quartz_wool/fritted_discs.html

I'm considering ordering two to three 20mm discs of varying porosity grades (0, 1, and 2) as possible replacements for both pieces in my vg coil. . I don't have an issue with either but I was reading this online vaping disection (http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-669314.html if you're interested) and was intrigued about the possibility of enhancing performance. He suggested that 100 micron porosity was ideal but I'm not sure if that suggestion specifically refers to the disc working as a pad or the exchange (my gut says that this advice was referring to the wax pad use and that a finer mesh might make for a better heat exchange).

I also recieved this glass from dhgate:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-s...r/228923897.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null

I chose the matrix perc over concerns about the coil fitting in the shower head model. Not crafted perfectly, but it works great and I love the size. Seeing the bubbler in person, I think you can chose any perc and not worry about the fit since the coil barely clears the joint.

murf1sh,

Lokbok

Hi folks.. so I'm looking to find a lighter powered vape to leave at my girlfriend's place. Both of us are kinda old-fashioned tokers, but her even moreso and she's not too keen on dealing with the "fancy" electronic vapes I have. I'm essentially looking for a vape that is as close to old fashioned glass pipe combustion as possible.. but with the benefits of vaping (actually ingesting less combustion/fumes and conserving herbs). Went through a slew of contraptions like the Lotus and Vapman, but the VaporGenie seems like the simplest one with less things to deal with. The durability seems great, but how is the maintenance and are there any little parts that need constant cleaning/replacing? Also, what are good places to buy em? Anyone have any experience with their other offerings like the steel bat or the aluminum model? Right now, I'm debating between the classic or the aluminium bodied one.. just going for a basic one and looking to spend around $50

I'm personally not a fan of aluminum in my vaporizers so personally I'd suggest the OG or for ~$5 more a handcarved. The new Sherlock's supposedly the heaviest hitter and easiest to clean, but Ive only used OG, HC and coil.

I poke the wooden body clean and swab the bowl to clean. Disassembly (which is easy) is only necessary if it gets fouled up with soot or there was some major combustion incidences. Soots easily enough avoided by not using soft flames. Vaporgenie.com is one of the only places that still sell them online, think grasscity still has them too and maybe has coupons. Good choice dude, VG's are highly underrated.

Lokbok

Yea, I'm leaning most towards just getting the OG. Something simple. How often do you have to clean em? Also, how often do you need to swap out any parts inside?

Lokbok,
Reactions: OF

OF

I'm personally not a fan of aluminum in my vaporizers so personally I'd suggest the OG or for ~$5 more a handcarved. The new Sherlock's supposedly the heaviest hitter and easiest to clean, but Ive only used OG, HC and coil.

I too am a bigger fan of the HC, the OG always looked like a toy to me and an open invite for a bust. Likewise the Aluminum ones (although I have one) are not as good as the HC.

Hands down the Big Bronze one is my favorite as well. Mine is slowly picking up the lovely patina I'd hoped for, it's a long way from a statue yet, but it's a trip to look at in detail. I put some stick on felt on the bottom of mine so it doesn't scratch or dent things. I know it's more bucks, but IMO worth it. Avoid the coils unless you have a WT and avoid the bats unless they're glass (and then take extreme care of course) is also 'standard advice' in this area.

Personally I like the VM more, at least I use it more, but that's subjective for sure. If you can't justify the big guy, the HC is highly likely to please. Be sure you get a good torch type lighter. You can 'make do' with candle flame types, even hemp wick of course, but the torch is much easier to aim into the heat exchanger. These guys work great, and at three bucks each shipped I think you should get a spare or two? I've yet to break or wear one out, despite considerable effort, that may be because I've got a backup fueled up and ready to go....
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.VzTIccnSO9I
http://www.tinydeal.com/refillable-jet-1300-butane-lighter-with-tank-p-2570.html

"Murphy Insurance" for those familiar with the concept?
Yea, I'm leaning most towards just getting the OG.

Something simple. How often do you have to clean em? Also, how often do you need to swap out any parts inside?

Your call on models, of course.

Cleaning depends on strain, cure and technique. Given good factors there (and using a torch not candle flame lighter or hempwick.....which can foul the exchanger with soot) cleaning is not a big deal. Damp herb will make a mess fast, but dry is another matter. Screens do die (IIRC VG will send you a replacement?), but that's a long way out. They're SS so you can 'flame' them clean (if you have a torch.....). Hold them by the edge with an old roach clip and torch them until they glow! Seriously, you can brush them off and vape on. MPs can get bit up, or dropped or otherwise damaged. They are like half a buck and again, IIRC they'll send you one (there are two sizes) when you order.

Normal pipe cleaners are, as posted above, very handy sometimes. Since many/most are not ex pipe smokers it's probably worth mentioning the trick of fishing the pipe cleaner through with one end wound in a tight coil (I used to use a wooden match) for several turns. You grab the end as it come through and pull hard collapsing the coils so they scrub the walls on the way through. If you bend the last half inch at right angles and 'hook' it with your thumbnail this is very easy and fast.

Best place to order is 'the factory' I think, that's where I got all mine except that useless Aluminum Bat.....

Best wishes, sound like you and the GF are on the right track.

OF

Lokbok

What did you dislike about the aluminum bodied one? Seems like it functions the same as the wood ones except it's more durable and lower profile?

Lokbok,

OF

What did you dislike about the aluminum bodied one? Seems like it functions the same as the wood ones except it's more durable and lower profile?

It's ugly (and I don't normally care about cosmetics). It just 'feels all wrong' in my hands, then again I'm used to 'real pipes'. I got the body on a clearance sale when they changed stem sizes for $20, seems they weren't all that popular? I had a spare top (from the initial 'ball' one that came on my Big Bronze which was also 'all wrong' from a cosmetic POV. I ordered a Walnut replacement in a more appealing style so buying the clearance sale special offer seemed a 'no brainer'.

I wanted a traditional type pipe (which I think you are as well?), IMO the HC fits that the Aluminum one doesn't. It also gets pretty not up close to the bowl in serious use, but pain teaches you to avoid that.

You won't be disappointed by the Aluminum one I think, until you try the HC?

Regards,

OF

Lokbok

It's ugly (and I don't normally care about cosmetics). It just 'feels all wrong' in my hands, then again I'm used to 'real pipes'. I got the body on a clearance sale when they changed stem sizes for $20, seems they weren't all that popular? I had a spare top (from the initial 'ball' one that came on my Big Bronze which was also 'all wrong' from a cosmetic POV. I ordered a Walnut replacement in a more appealing style so buying the clearance sale special offer seemed a 'no brainer'.

I wanted a traditional type pipe (which I think you are as well?), IMO the HC fits that the Aluminum one doesn't. It also gets pretty not up close to the bowl in serious use, but pain teaches you to avoid that.

You won't be disappointed by the Aluminum one I think, until you try the HC?

Regards,

OF

Thanks for the input. Yea, seeing that the HC and alum is the same price, prob better to go for HC. I might just go with the classic though because I've seen some places have them as low as 40ish. Only issue is most of them are painted too. I'd rather have bare wood than the ugly painted colors. If i can find a place that sells a plain maple or walnut one for around $45 shipped, for sure I'll probably go that route.

Lokbok,

OF

Thanks for the input. Yea, seeing that the HC and alum is the same price, prob better to go for HC. I might just go with the classic though because I've seen some places have them as low as 40ish. Only issue is most of them are painted too.

You're welcome, glad to help when I can. My major objection to the OG is cosmetic, for sure not an issue with you if you don't care. I've only ever used one once, I definitely had the same problem as with the bats, it's hard to aim the fire that close to your nose..... Kinda focuses your attention to wave the torch past your nose. At least does me. By the time it's out into clear vision it's not a big deal. Another big plus the the big one for me. The bowl is even further away. Again a personal thing that might not bother the next guy.

Do be very careful of the painted ones, even from 'good sources'. There have been reports of nice looking counterfeits with LEAD paint. Well worth avoiding. At least one guy reported getting it from a trusted source. Counterfeits, of course, can have other issues. I've never seen one, I suspect the heat exchanger is lame, the real one is very neat stack of Silicone Carbide (like 'next to Diamond tough') flat plate pieces, like broken screen, all sintered together. That is they compress the living daylights out of it and heat it as hot as they can (can't melt the stuff.....) until it fuses into a solid mass with lots of holes. Very cool, whizz ban high tech stuff. I'd think the fakes don't use it?

But anyone that would put lead paint on a vape isn't looking out for you in the first place.

Good luck with it, can't really go wrong and the next one isn't really much more than a couple grams of top shelf fuel for it.

OF

bounce5

Question: Does someone know what size silicone I would need to connect a Lotus WPA to a Vaporgenie Pipe? Or where I could order it for a good price?

As shown in this video by @jambandphan03:

bounce5,

murf1sh

So I finally replaced the stone in my ss coil with an extra-course quartz fritted disc. The vapor stone used to add a funny taste if you got it too hot (my personal opinion), but now the taste is beautiful from start to finish no matter how I choose to hit it. I picked up a second fritted disc to function as a concentrate pad, which should be great for full convection vaping of concentrates. Loving this set up. Just something to consider if your genie needs a quick upgrade (it should work with any model).

murf1sh,

bounce5

So I finally replaced the stone in my ss coil with an extra-course quartz fritted disc. The vapor stone used to add a funny taste if you got it too hot (my personal opinion), but now the taste is beautiful from start to finish no matter how I choose to hit it. I picked up a second fritted disc to function as a concentrate pad, which should be great for full convection vaping of concentrates. Loving this set up. Just something to consider if your genie needs a quick upgrade (it should work with any model).

Where do you order them?

bounce5,

murf1sh

The ones I liked best I ordered from technical glass:
http://www.technicalglass.com/product_pages/fused_quartz_wool/fritted_discs.html

You want bigger holes/gaps/porosity for the best airflow. I went 00 to replace the stone and 0 for the pad. I order some other discs from a lab supplier that was alright.

https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=4597504

This looked like a good back up option as well:
https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/fritted-discs/products/fritted-disc-screen-1
The only downside is these probably don't have the same quality control as laboratory quartz.

My suggestion would be 2 00's from technical glass if you don't mind spending the money.

bounce5

The ones I liked best I ordered from technical glass:
http://www.technicalglass.com/product_pages/fused_quartz_wool/fritted_discs.html

You want bigger holes/gaps/porosity for the best airflow. I went 00 to replace the stone and 0 for the pad. I order some other discs from a lab supplier that was alright.

https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=4597504

This looked like a good back up option as well:
https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/fritted-discs/products/fritted-disc-screen-1
The only downside is these probably don't have the same quality control as laboratory quartz.

My suggestion would be 2 00's from technical glass if you don't mind spending the money.

What diameter and thickness? Do you need to use 2 at the same time? Any other information that I need to order one? I may order one in the future.

bounce5,

murf1sh

I say 2 because one can serve as your stone replacement (you only need one for herb) and the other can serve as a pad that you can use to vape concentrates (in this scenario you would technically be using 2 discs at the same time but for different purposes). When I ordered from technical glass I got 2 20 mm discs (one of porosity 00 and one of porosity 0, but in hindsight I would have gotten both at 00). They're too big to fit immediately in the coil so I just carefully filed them down (be gentle) until one fit in the bowl/chamber and the other fit where the vapor stone went. That's pretty much it and now the coil hits so clean it's crazy (imo, also I generally use it with a d-020).

Like I said if you're not pinched for cash I'd order from technical glass (minimum $50 on orders sucks but I think the upgrade was well worth it) cause their discs are quartz not borosilicate (quartz has better thermal properties from what I can tell). The ones on the last link should work fine though, like I said I'll probably check them out soon since they're so cheap and it's good to have back ups.

Happy toking

I'm thinking about ordering a Glass Sherlock VG tomorrow.
Should i add any accessories from vaporgenie.com - such as more SS Disks?
What's the benefit of switching to quartz disks, i thought there was no off-gassing with the VG?

cheers,

time2change,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

murf1sh

Yeah so I was liking my VG coil but still thought there was something a little off about the taste. Idk I just was brainstorming and thought that using fritted quartz instead might improve that. I personally think my VG tastes better now. It's all preference though I can't give you a well developed reason for why the ceramic vs glass would change the taste. If I did it again I'd probably try this link first
because it's cheap and I doubt laboratory quartz is necessary. I just happened to be flush at the time and didn't mind pouring money into a potential improvement.

OF

I just was brainstorming and thought that using fritted quartz instead might improve that. I personally think my VG tastes better now. It's all preference though I can't give you a well developed reason for why the ceramic vs glass would change the taste.

I'm glad you're happy with it, that's what counts really?

If you read back in this thread you'll find several others have blazed this trail before you and posted about it. Some, like you, expressed their preference for it, others not so much. For whatever reason it 'failed to catch on'.

They really do perform two different tasks as I understand it, the glass is intended to absorb the goods while the VG heat exchanger is intended to run at higher temperatures and stay dry. I suspect VG tried glass before, along with a lot of other materials, before deciding on the rather expensive heat exchanger they did. That sucker would cost a fortune to make at low volumes, it represents a serious commitment.

Thanks for the tip, I may someday wish to try it. OTOH, if guys start reporting success that day will no doubt happen much sooner....

OF

hillbill

Anyone else's heat exchangers' edges become rounded over time? Mine does. It eventually becomes uneven enough that it will allow flame to be drawn around itself and combusting. The originally sharp edges become rounded and the filter is visibly smaller than a new one. This is recurring with wood top.

They then act like you're a thief when you try to BUY replacements.

hillbill,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I've never had them talk to me when I order replacements.

I have had my Genies for about 6, 5, 4 and 2 years, none have ever had the issue you speak of. I ordered a replacement filter once because my eyelash fell into the filter and I accidentally vaped it and couldn't get rid of the burnt hair taste... Another to replace my first Genie top which was ruin by newcomers. Another top got a bit of off flavor from all the bics so I replaced that one as well.

So are you just not touching/adjusting the filter, using your Genie properly and it seems to have this issue? This sounds like an interesting issue.

ZC

Definitely not my experience either. I had the same VG filter for 8-ish years. I broke it myself doing something stupid.

Never had the shape change or anything like that. Aside from some dark spots it never visually changed from the day I got it to the day I broke it.

Replacing the top was easy though, I just explained my situation and they sent me a link to buy. It's a little bit paranoid of a process, they don't want people buying in bulk to make their own VG clone.You'd think a purchase limit would be enough. But it's still an easy process and not one you should have to do often.

hillbill

Not had the problem with bats or coil. But thy get warm quickly. I have 2 original aluminum vgs, 1 current aluminum, 1 coil and a new and an original aluminum bats. I still use all but the older bat.

grokit

well-worn member

Did you purchase your vapor genie from a 3rd party retailer? If so you will need to show a proof of purchase to vapor genie for a replacement heat exchanger. If you bought it online, just search your email. If you bought it at your local head shop, you can revisit them for assistance. If you bought it at a festival or craigs list, you may be out of luck. If you had purchased direct, your exchanger would already be replaced.

hillbill

Always buy direct and kind of solved and don't even mind replacing filters but the silly fussiness to buy more than 1 or maybe 2 is weak. I can't see how someone with 4 or 5 heat filters is a business threat.

Yokohama lets me replace my tires whenever I wish. Gillette lets me have as many shavers as I want and I can get all the batteries for my flashlight that I may want. Vapor Genie reminds me of the Soup Nazi.

Should get a little thought from them, already buying 6 or 7.

Top Bottom