VaporGenie

Eyedunno

I'm still going to my VG every now and again, especially since I'm getting down using it with a torch. Very quick (even less heating time than the Lotus!), decent quality vapor. The biggest weakness is the lack of a built-in stirrer like the Lotus has, and it's kind of perverse that I'm going to my Lotus cap to stir my VG. :)

I also have yet to combust (though I did get some scorching the first time I tried the torch--that was how I learned how high I need the flame to be and to heat for two seconds max). Nice simple design that works.

bounce5

I think I can get a picture up tonight or tomorrow for sure; but I have some work to do today and will need at least 10 hours to crank that stuff out alone. Plus, I like my photography and would want to setup a nice little photoshoot spot. The pictures on the site don't do it the justice it deserves.. But yes, I'll get some pictures up by tomorrow or the day after, at the latest.

Butane: No butane taste, at all. I use a refillable, dual flame (Both candle and torch) lighters with Vector and or other higher quality butane, so that may play a role. I also never tasted butane on my old VG when using a bic- but I followed the "flick away, burn for 3" rule. I for sure think the flavor is a LOT more pure and clean when using a refillable candle lighter with cleaner butane.

Ceramic Filter: No taste at all, never heard of other users tasting it. I suppose it could affect flavor if you use improper technique and touch the lighter to it or clog it with soot. Also heard of people dropping concentrates directly onto the ceramic, thats a no-no.

Lotus: I have yet to try a lotus, so Its hard for me to comment on this. It's on my want list, but I just cannot deal with portable torch lighters so I passed up on it this time. They break far to fast, and require more filling than I like in my experience- my longest lasting torch is my current, unbranded, presumably made in China torch and its about 8" tall, its lasted about 2 years now and I am still shocked its alive and well. I have, however, researched the lotus extensively and would love the chance to review one if I had the funds. Maybe next time around I'll swing for a lotus with just the top+WPA.

I would say the main differences between a lotus and VG are as follows:
-VG has flame in the airpath, Lotus does not.
-Lotus requires a torch lighter only, VG can use both candle flame and Torch Flame, and also Hempwick.
-Lotus can be easily attached to GoG water pipes, while VG Vapor Caps require a threaded SS Bowl. I've made a WPA setup for my VG by going to a small, local smoke/vape shop and browsing their "Spare parts" cabinet for less than $10. Just clean the hell out of your cap if you want to bring it in to size it up. Remove filter, ISO the threads and under the filter, and watch the wood for cleaning the top.

That's what I know for sure, at least without trying the Lotus. Iirc, another member posted in this form that the cap often requires replacement parts for the top, but i cannot comment on this as I havent used the Lotus. However, Lotus did just come out with their new "High Temp" top, and I like to think that it could be used at "Normal" lotus temps and hold up better than the normal top.

What happened to the picture of the Bronze Sherlock. I'm still waiting for it.

bounce5,

grokit

well-worn member
I've been wanting a conventional pipe-looking vg for a while.

yllbsXi.jpg

The first hit was a doozy :sherlock:!

Killa $moke Ninja

I discovered that I can use my glass bat with my bong with a 19 mm downstem! It forms vapor a lot faster than my coil and it tastes so much better too! It's not an air tight fit, but it has more airflow for sure so I don't have to inhale for nearly as long as I would to create vapor with the coil.

Killa $moke Ninja

^ I gave mine to a combusting friend I'm trying to convert when I got the sherlock, and I miss it!
Yes sir paytonpenn that's the one! I was gonna buy the glass sherlock for my at home vaping but I get such huge rips this way that I'm already content. It even makes it easier to not combust because a better air tight fit means less torching/quicker heat up time.
I'm having a friend custom make me a downstem that fits even better so I can get maximum airflow.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I missed this version and confused with the Glass bat from Vriptech, this one seems very nice!

Is it avalaible in a european shop?

PPN,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I got my Bronze Sherlock in the mail yesterday :love: It's perfect, I love everything about it :rockon:
I'm primarily a Log user (at home mostly, but in the car too), and have never been much of a fan of charging batteries all the time so I don't really use my portables, other than the VM, which I also love! but the VM is too much of a ritual to use anywhere and anytime, and is best used as a session vape IMO, so I really needed a VG to level things out and give me more flexible options, and I couldn't be happier that I went w/ the Bronze one.. Loving the smooth on-demand rips it gives, and the form factor is perfect, very natural and comfortable in use, especially having bowl below the mouthpiece like that.. It definitely has the feel of a luxurious lounge-style vape :smug: I feel like I need a Hugh Hefner robe to go w/ this thing :lol: It's not very demanding at all, in terms of ritual, and it's ritual is very nostalgic which I really love.. I can see this vape being very comfortable to use around company or while watching TV, as well as on the go :sherlock: I think I'd like to have a SS Coil too, for more adventurous situations :cool: the price is definitely right.. Anyways, I know it's not new news, but this thing kicks ass!! I finally feel complete :lol: It took me way too long to pull the trigger on this one..

murf1sh

So I recently bought the SS coil. Jesus what a pleasant surprise (though not a complete surprise as I perused this very thread before making the plunge). Less than 40 bucks down and you have a convection vape that handles both dry and concentrates (with a pad)...all while natively fitting almost any female GonG joint. 12 bucks for 4 mini torches on amazon an I'm set (already had a d-020 from when I first picked up a nano).

Honestly this has replaced my current vapes (e-nano with GonG stems and mflb with a PA 2.0) and is rising quickly to become the favorite of any vape I've ever owned. With proper technique it's almost too easy to switch between milky hits an low temp draws at will. And in my eyes the process of use is so much more enjoyable than any other vape I've encountered.

So now I don't have to fuck with batteries or extension cords which in turn saves me a lot of headaches. I like using the coil with the d-020 but I just ordered one of those bubbler/hammer pieces off dhgate (http://www.dhgate.com/product/hot-s...r/228923897.html#myaccount_orderdetail-1-null for the curious). It's 18 mm and it looks like the coil would fit fine in the shower head or matrix option [I chose the matrix, the 6 arm is more questionable but still probably doable (if you have a glass screen e-nano GonG stem you can use it upside down as a kind of holder for the coil, the grippy stuff around the bowl side of the stem goes into the female joint while the coil sits in the male end of the stem)]. That kind of glass (especially if it's made well enough to sit with decent stability on a coffee table) just seems like a perfect complement for whole set up.

Just wanted to give this thread some love because I really didn't expect to get possible the best vape I've owned for a fraction of the cost of literally every other vape I've purchased. I wish I had figured this out a few years (and hundreds of dollars) ago. Unless I somehow break this thing (which seems pretty hard to do) and need a replacement, I really can't see myself picking up anything new unless it's like vapman (now that I see more of the appeal of non-electric approaches) or a portable with an undeniably intriguing design (ti grasshopper).

The downside is of course that it will be a while before any of my friends can hit this unassisted and not combust, but even that is really not a huge deal cause the coil is easy af to clean. Go Genie

Skyscraper

When I was cleaning my VaporGenie, I noticed some residue around the bottom of my VaporGenie top. I dipped a cotton swab and some of the ISO dripped and has spread into the ceramic heat exchanger. :doh:
Has anybody else done this, and did the top dry out and were you able to use it again?

I can't smell the ISO on the top.. makes me think the top is just wet with water (I was using 91% ISO) Maybe applying some heat would help?

Skyscraper,
Reactions: OF

OF

Has anybody else done this, and did the top dry out and were you able to use it again?

I can't smell the ISO on the top.. makes me think the top is just wet with water (I was using 91% ISO) Maybe applying some heat would help?

Yes, it's been done......I'm sure we can count on you not to ever again now that you know why not? You need to remove it, the heat exchanger (it's Silicon carbide, not ceramic) gets much hotter than vaping temperature (so it can heat air to the lower, but magic, temperature....). This means the condensate you 'painted' the heat exchanger will burn and foul taste until you do so.

You need heat, and lots of it. Check out the VG site, there's instructions there. Basically you suspend the heat exchanger over the metal nozzle on a vacuum cleaner (for draft) and torch the living daylights out of the exchanger, heat it until it all glows. Serious fire and the vacuum to pull hot air through it. When I did it my top surface was fouled from ill advised adventures with Hempwick so it did it 'right side up' since your problem is at the bottom more than the top, I'd invert it (dirty side towards the torch, away from the vacuum).

You can contact VG directly, if they can confirm your ownership they'll sell you another exchanger (some call it a 'filter'?) or top but with a torch, a bit of wire and a shop vac you can recover yours. PM me if you can't find the instructions.

Good luck and best wishes.

OF

Skyscraper

Alright, I was hoping not to have to use that technique. Thanks OF. I'll need to get access to a torch to be able to clean out the heat exchanger

Skyscraper,
Reactions: OF

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
Everything @OF wrote is good advice.

I will add, however, that you can get away with just torching the heat exchanger without the need for a vacuum cleaner. Most residue just burns right off anyway.

They also used to recommend pouring boiling water over it. It's not recommended anymore (I think it was felt it may damage the heat exchanger) but I have done it with no ill effects so you could try that if you don't want to go and buy a torch.

neverforget711

I got a paper wad stuck in my inner coil cleaning it. My pipe tool isn't budging it, is there any tips?

neverforget711,

OF

Burn it with fire? I can't imagine something being that stuck though. I know I can stretch out my coil if things are caught in the threads.

Or pop that part in the kitchen oven and crank it up? As the paper chars it'll contract like our favorite herb does. If it doesn't fall out, a toothpick should make short work of what's left after heat 'breaks it down'.

If it's a paper towel, be sure to test first, some have plastic and other fibers included that won't take heat all that well (no sense really gumming the VG up.

There are also chemical techniques worth considering, Muriatic Acid comes to mind, that shouldn't etch the SS but will make short work of paper?

I'd still torch it or bake it myself.

OF

neverforget711

Or pop that part in the kitchen oven and crank it up? As the paper chars it'll contract like our favorite herb does. If it doesn't fall out, a toothpick should make short work of what's left after heat 'breaks it down'.

If it's a paper towel, be sure to test first, some have plastic and other fibers included that won't take heat all that well (no sense really gumming the VG up.

There are also chemical techniques worth considering, Muriatic Acid comes to mind, that shouldn't etch the SS but will make short work of paper?

I'd still torch it or bake it myself.

OF
I dropped it in hot water and that helped it dislodge. I'll just stick with pipe cleaners.

OF

I'll just stick with pipe cleaners.

"Doc, it hurts when I raise my arm up like this"

"Don't raise your arm up so high".

Good call, sounds like something to avoid to me. Last time I cleaned mine I used PBW on it. Broke it down, put it in a jar with a dash of it and the hottest water from the kitchen sink. Shake a bit and dump when the 'oxygen action' stops and the cleaning slows. Sometimes takes a second wash if stuff is really grody. And you need to agitate things a bit since you're washing not dissolving. Then rinse and dry as you might guess.

Cheaper, safer, easier to use, safe to pour down the sink. It's a special built detergent designed to clean Brewery gunk out of brew kettles and plumbing....just the sort of stuff we deal with. Only on a much bigger scale of course. But it's buffered to work in 'all waters', mild in reactivity, safe on most materials (doesn't dissolve stuff), uses 'oxygen action'. You can watch it clean that bong you hid in the back of the closet as if by magic. Little trails of bubbles like in beer and then the junk floats away. Great sport, if you're in the right frame of mind for such stuff.

Glad you're back in action, thanks for passing the good word.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Derrrpp
Top Bottom