VaporGenie

Jethro

I knew my FC brothers would know what to do. I will take it out and torch it up!

Good luck with it. My guess is you picked up something now melted into the exchanger?
OF

Anything is possible, but nothing specific that I know of. I figured it was just build up of either cheap butane from my Bic disposable lighters or possibly remnants of the sparker element. But certainly could have gotten something in there during transport? My VG classic is my go to camping vape and I camp a bunch.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
If you remove it to torch it just remember to treat it gently since the ceramic filter can be fragile especially when hot right after torching it.

:peace:

Edit; there are some instructions on the vg website in the support section(amber tab at top of page) listed under 'product support' as 'tops and filters and soot'.

Last edited:
RUDE BOY,
Reactions: nondarb
I'd try another torch if it works best for you. A tip for learning to use VG's with water pipes is to 'reset' your technique and start back at the beginning with slow, long sessions to see how deep your flame needs to go for how long and how long the draw is. Its very hard to feel the vapor.

Ordered two the same day as my coil and they still haven't arrived unfortunately. Me combusting or scorching was a byproduct of pushing too hard, Ive gotten a few ridiculously huge snaps and keep/kept trying to repeat the results. Now I'm coming in with slightly lighter hits but I'm not scorching, I'll try and familiarize myself with it and work my way up to harnessing those huge clouds, the lack of taste (till exhale) and visible indications is a little bit of a challenge but it certainly seems worth it. I got too medicated last night, not uncomfortably so but beyond a point of usefulness! Fell asleep with my clothes on on the couch after some coil sessions. Woke up at 2 am fully clothed still dirty from work hahaha.

I'm a high temp guy so I've always danced a fine line, that lines a lot easier to cross with fire!

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I am the same. The great thing about the coil is that if the dance ends in disaster it is easy to completely clean up the mess.

I have been fooling around with the coil a bit lately, and unlike most it seems, i prefer it native. The short direct vapor path give instant feedback, so i never combust, and only rarely scorch it these days as i can taste the vapor on inhale and adjust accordingly. Practice makes perfect. Been using hempwick mostly, too.

It is also super tasty this way too. I used my vg coil before i left home, then my summit on route, both with the same gear. The taste from the genie just stayed on my taste buds half the night.

I will have too try again with a water pipe. I think it wasn't sealing well enough with the cheap one i picked up. It still worked but required alot of huffing and puffing that isn't required native. Also doesn't taste anywhere near as good and i prefer taste, ease and speed to cool vapor.

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
You evidently don't have a mustache then......or at least not much of one?

It makes a difference, trust me.

OF

Haha. Actually i do, but yeah, not much of one. I could never pull off the bushranger look no matter how long i leave it untended.

I recall it mentioned earlier in the thread, but happily have managed to avoid getting my mo caught in the springs.

Tommy10

VG coil in the jay hook, about .1 bowl and a drop of VG. Effects great, pretty uneven bud, but I'm pretty new to the coil so that could be more technique tha than the device. Although I spent a bit of time behind the classic and noticed the uneven abv still. Anyways, great fun wouldn't use dry as it just gets so hot. Huge clouds with the VG and still great effects from the mj.

How I micro dose

Last edited:

Tommy10

It is good, although that cloud production is from the VG. I can make one with just green later to show how it works normally. Cloud production is bigger than most portables I have used! Potentially bigger than the hammer, lower quality Vapor and I'm yet to compare side by side. After the holidays I'll get the coil into the beaker. It's certainly a cheap cloud machine if that's what someone wants.

It is good, although that cloud production is from the VG. I can make one with just green later to show how it works normally. Cloud production is bigger than most portables I have used! Potentially bigger than the hammer, lower quality Vapor and I'm yet to compare side by side. After the holidays I'll get the coil into the beaker. It's certainly a cheap cloud machine if that's what someone wants.

+1 for the coil, for $35 the thing is a MONSTER! It can milk a pretty large piece and with a little practice it even works well dry. My only qualm with it is the fact that judging your heat is very difficult to do through water because you generally don't taste till you exhale. Just part of the learning curve I suppose.

davesmith

Glass Blower
I found after much experimentation a small pack (just covering screen) and a small flame (torch) with longer draws gives the best results in my coil and helps to stop the heat spot which seemed unavoidable before.

I found after much experimentation a small pack (just covering screen) and a small flame (torch) with longer draws gives the best results in my coil and helps to stop the heat spot which seemed unavoidable before.

I pretty much have to stir religiously after the first two hits to avoid the dark spot. I've settled on slightly smaller hits to avoid scorching through glass. Pushing the envelope heatwise or going for one last hit was/is the source of all my problems.

A friend used the coil the first time tonight, with a little coaching he didn't burn and got some pretty good hits. Might soon have a convert!

Chainfish

Well just bought a 2nd hand carved walnut on ebay. I removed the retaining ring to check how bad ceramic disk is (followed instructions and easy enough). Cannot get back in though and driving me mental. Just wondering if there was a trick i may be missing. Couldn't find any vids apart from manufacturers. Tia

Chainfish,
Reactions: OF

Chainfish

retainer ring :/. have sorted it now thanks, through more luck than judgement. sure there must be an easier way. must say, 1st impressions very nice with vapor production but tastes bit funny cos of scorched ceramic i assume.

Chainfish,
Reactions: OF

OF

retainer ring :/. have sorted it now thanks, through more luck than judgement. sure there must be an easier way. must say, 1st impressions very nice with vapor production but tastes bit funny cos of scorched ceramic i assume.

Great, glad you're getting up to speed. Yes, contamination in the heat exchanger can be a problem, oddly enough the solution is more heat, lots more heat. On the VG web site you can find the procedure, basically you use a shop vacuum cleaner to suck a torch through the exchanger until it glows! It's carbide and about as tough as materials come. Scary but safe for the material. In use it's generally guys using 'candle flame' (like Bic) lighters or worse yet hemp wick. Soot forms and trouble begin.

It takes some learning to get it right, you can get in too deep and try to combust, the key is to sense it coming and immediately stop the draw. Cutting the fire and continuing to pull is asking for trouble. Extra heat is stored in the core, you need to leave it there not pull it through the load. Stopping the draw also robs any combustion of fresh air.

Get a good torch lighter, need not be expensive, and you'll probably find it easier to control. This is my favorite, under $3 shipped. I'd suggest one or two from each source, let them race to your door? They've both been known to be slow.

http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.VoWjwMnSO9I
http://www.tinydeal.com/refillable-jet-1300-butane-lighter-with-tank-p-2570.html

Regards,

OF

Chainfish

Own one very similar I bought for my short'lived vaponic (glass does not make a good portable for on the piss). I thought I had read not to use a torch lighter though. There doesn't seem to be any drawer resistance in the ceramic and the underneath is same colour as new. But can sure taste the combustion. Couple of burn marks on top to. but came with 50 screens and new mouthpiece for £16.50 delivered so very happy to have a backup portable again.
Have had a few goes now and no issue with combusting. May try the jet lighter mind if is supposedly better.Any tips always appreciated OF.

OF

Have had a few goes now and no issue with combusting. May try the jet lighter mind if is supposedly better.Any tips always appreciated OF.

I'm not sure I'd say it's better in the pure sense, in fact since both a normal ('candle flame') lighter and a similar size torch use the same gas amount of gas the same amount of energy is liberated by both. The advantage is that heat is all produced in a very confined area with the torch with a 'gravity defying' flame. The heat goes where you point it. Additionally, since hitting the cold (or at least cooler) exchanger with the candle flame (or a match for that matter) robs the heat necessary to carry on combustion. So we loose the second reactions where Carbon Dioxide is made, leaving Carbon to klag up the works.

It makes aiming the fire all the easier and more effective. And keeps the exchanger clean. I have some very nice pipe lighters I no longer use, instead the $3 ones from China carry the load. They're handy in their own right, I've got several spread around (one on the kitchen table for candles and such, a second on the patio table for the same reasons, one at the BBQ, one in my tool box, and so on). Cheap, tough and useful. For the low cost, I recommending giving them a lash.......

OF

Killa $moke Ninja

Has anyone used the coil in a waterfall or anything similar? It has a very compatible shape.
What do you mean by waterfall ? Also, has any one had a positive experience with the glass bat? I want to get one to try out since I love my classic & coil so much. The glass sherlock looks cool but it looks way too big to carry in my pocket, but I want to see the vapor form and like the shape of the bat better but it seems like everyone that reviewed it was still a begining to learn how the vg works.

Last edited:
Killa $moke Ninja,
Reactions: KidFated.
What do you mean by waterfall ?

I'm not sure that there is a production waterfall bong, but we used to make them out of cokebottles and a metal bowl. You light the bowl as you drain water from a hole cut in the bottom. The suction from the water draining milks the chamber and if you inhale through the top it produces a natural perc as the water drains. I haven't done one in 8 years or so lol.

Has anyone used the coil in a waterfall or anything similar? It has a very compatible shape.

Sounds like combustion city. It's already a somewhat tricky endeavor milking a bubbler without scorching, then again I've only had mine a month and a half or so.

I use my coil through a j-hook 90% of the time, the taste affirmation let's me push the envelope for big hits and actually taste what I'm doing.

Tommy10

Yes I have, just used a stem in a bottle cap with silicone from the stem to the tip of a VG classic. Works an absolute treat! Phenomenally well actually, enough to tell me vapor waterfalls are awesome if you enjoyed combustion waterfalls B.V (before vapor) but it is a three handed operation. VG coil on the other hand! Might have to get it back off my mate and give it a go. I'm sure the coil would form a nice seal in some glass bottle out there, glass drill a little hole! Mmmm!

Edit to address the next post. I have found the constant flow of a waterfall to be perfect for getting a steady dense cloud from a butane vape. With a jet lighter I have no combustion use with any of the VGfalls I tried, was more the awkwardness.

Yes I have, just used a stem in a bottle cap with silicone from the stem to the tip of a VG classic. Works an absolute treat! Phenomenally well actually, enough to tell me vapor waterfalls are awesome if you enjoyed combustion waterfalls B.V (before vapor) but it is a three handed operation. VG coil on the other hand! Might have to get it back off my mate and give it a go. I'm sure the coil would form a nice seal in some glass bottle out there, glass drill a little hole! Mmmm!

Edit to address the next post. I have found the constant flow of a waterfall to be perfect for getting a steady dense cloud from a butane vape. With a jet lighter I have no combustion use with any of the VGfalls I tried, was more the awkwardness.

I suppose you could adjust the draw by the size of the drain hole!? With a little experimentation I suppose you could perfect it..

Damnit Tommy.

Tommy10

I suppose you could adjust the draw by the size of the drain hole!? With a little experimentation I suppose you could perfect it..

Damnit Tommy.

That's what I found, but the VG Classic was too much of a pain to play around with. Almost forgot I had a VG coil, I'll get it back and I have a mate who drills glass bottles for bongs. I think the VG would seal pretty easy in most bottles. I found with the VG Classic, the seal didn't even need to be as perfect as you'd think due to the huge amounts of vapor that spews out she still milks!

Anyone with a coil wanna do a little test and see how well the coil fits in the top of your typical glass bottle 700ml-1.5l glass spirt bottles. Only thing of size I could source here as not much else comes in glass, and in guessing the weaker glass of 700ML large beers would be harder to drill? Compared to something like a Smirnoff bottle.

Last edited:
Tommy10,
Reactions: nondarb
Top Bottom