VaporGenie

davesmith

Glass Blower
Hellooooo vaporgenie people. So I'm currently travelling around Canada and grabed a vg coil to see me through before I settle down and grab a vapman or log etc. I've got a question that it would be good if you guys would answer for me (I did search of course!).

So...

Can I use the ceramic disc from my coil as a health stone? Dropping it in a 14mm fitting or whatever? I looked at a health stone and they seem the same but thought id check first.

Also can I damage my filter disc thing? I understand it can be damaged by rough handling but how about heat? I got that if it gets sooted up I can torch it clean.

Cheers and lets hope this things good enough for me to still fuck combustion over here. All the best

davesmith

Glass Blower
Yes, I think it's a bad idea.

It's not a filter, it's a heat exchanger. It's designed to heat air........

OF

Yes but it seems its pretty much identical to a health stone. I don't have one to compare but iirc the material is the same. And at a glance looked the same. I'm not gonna risk it unless someone with an informed perspective can confirm it.

Thanks though @OF

OF

Yes but it seems its pretty much identical to a health stone. I don't have one to compare but iirc the material is the same. And at a glance looked the same. I'm not gonna risk it unless someone with an informed perspective can confirm it.

Thanks though @OF

You're very wrong I think. Health Stone is sintered glass, the heat exchanger is sintered Silicon Carbide? Two radically different materials with very different characteristics. They are not the same. They're just made the same way (sintered), appearance doesn't cover it all. One intended to spread heat, the other not.

Your call. You asked my opinion/advice, which I gave (along with the reason). I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted, but obviously you had some doubt?

OF

davesmith

Glass Blower
You're very wrong I think. Health Stone is sintered glass, the heat exchanger is sintered Silicon Carbide? Two radically different materials with very different characteristics. They are not the same. They're just made the same way (sintered), appearance doesn't cover it all. One intended to spread heat, the other not.

Your call. You asked my opinion/advice, which I gave (along with the reason). I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted, but obviously you had some doubt?

OF

Aha. Thats perfect. Just the info I wanted to know. I did search and couldn't see the info I needed but I know the knowledge of the fc community would help. It is however the answer I want, the correct answer ha-ha. Thanks as always @OF

E2a:
I've found the MFLB stems fit nicely into the VG coil mouthpiece. The glass stem cools the vapour and adds a little restriction to the draw which I like. It's made the experience much smoother.

Also, I may use my 1ft whip to knock up a vapour bong later :)

Last edited:

davesmith

Glass Blower
Thanks @OF . theres only one answer whether I like it or not

On a side note the MFLB stems fit very snugly into the coils mouthpiece. Adds a few extra options easily. I'm enjoying the glass stem at the moment. :)

Don't know what happened there. Didn't think the last one posted. Mods feel free to delete this post

Last edited:

OF

Thanks @OF . theres only one answer whether I like it or not

On a side note the MFLB stems fit very snugly into the coils mouthpiece. Adds a few extra options easily. I'm enjoying the glass stem at the moment. :)

Yer welcome, glad to help when I can.

Great insight on the MFLB/Coil fit. Too bad it's glass against steel, it won't last. If accident doesn't happen first the glass stem is going to end up too deep into the hot SS and get into trouble when the steel cools (since it contracts faster than glass) I bet.

However, the wood stems from Vapman (same size) present interesting ideas? VM also uses high temperature plastic. And while on the VG site you could snag a few of the replacement stems for the other VGs, IIRC you'd want the larger of the two sizes......they're half a buck each?

Cool. Food for thought as they say. Thanks for sharing.

OF

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Interesting stuff, I've been throwing dabs down the chimney of my VG classic since I got it lol. Pretty sure @paytonpenn mentioned the idea earlier in this thread? Is the thinking that there may be some off-gassing or tainting of the oil? Just wondering since it works fine in practice, am I slowly poisoning myself? I try to only do that with liquor....

Killa $moke Ninja

I just got my walnut hand carved vg abour a month ago, and I love it ! I've been too busy using it to post about it! I've found that a regular soft flame bic lighter works best for me. My torch seems to unevenly cook the middle of the load and just doesn't give as big hits as the bic. My only complaint is that I wish the bowl was a lil bit bigger. It took a little getting used to at first I combusted trying to heat it up for too long, but it didn't take me long to master the technique. I get about 4 or 5 good hits packing the bowl with about .3 grams.The first hit is very flavorful but thin and almost invisible unless you can heat it up enough to get thick vapor without burning which takes practice. You gotta know just how long you can keep hitting before you need to remove the flame. I've been thinking about buying a pax 2 because it seems to be more efficient and convenient. Has anyone out there tried both, so they could make a comparison?

Tommy10

Thanks to the hammer I'm loving butane vapes! But I want one I can use with a bic, I love smoking pipes and a good 25% of the time when I'm smkoing not vaping it's with a pipe because they are great, but if there were a vaping alternative that would be awesome!
What sort of clouds could be expected compared to a solo, hammer or HA for reference?
I once had a screw together pipe that I put a screen in to try and vape, it worked a little but was way too easy to combust but same principle as the coil I guess. Are they different enough to warrant buying a VG wood pipe and a coil?

Tommy10,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Thanks to the hammer I'm loving butane vapes! But I want one I can use with a bic, I love smoking pipes and a good 25% of the time when I'm smkoing not vaping it's with a pipe because they are great, but if there were a vaping alternative that would be awesome!
What sort of clouds could be expected compared to a solo, hammer or HA for reference?
I once had a screw together pipe that I put a screen in to try and vape, it worked a little but was way too easy to combust but same principle as the coil I guess. Are they different enough to warrant buying a VG wood pipe and a coil?
I would recommend the VaporGenie. I have a maple classic and I absolutely love it! There is a slight (very minimal in my opinion) learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, the VG is crazy powerful and a joy to use. I never have problems with accidentally combusting either (though it's certainly possible to do so).

There's a lot of heat energy in a lighter flame, and that makes it possible to get huge hits from the VG. Some people prefer torch lighters, but I find a bic style lighter works just fine for me. I also own a Solo, and I would not hesitate to say that I can get at least as big, if not bigger hits from my VG Classic than I can with my Solo.

Last edited:

Tommy10

Thank you that's what I wanted to hear! I love my solo but I'm thinking the whole idea of using fire and bring the temp down is more my style. I try to use my solo now days but end up using the hammer, which I love but have the form factor and hear up time. Since the hammer I have started using my dug outs, and hand pipes more simply for the use factor I love them. If I can do this, with a normal bic lighter I'll be happy blowing average clouds! Might search this thread a bit more and see some hit videos (paytonpenns vaporgenie coil video is what started me looking, but the OG hand pipe genie is suddenly looking very sexy!)

Edit to add, I'm really loving this butane thing. I like the hammer but I think I'd like something else. I guess my real question is, the torch powered ones (lotus and such) do they far exceed a vaporgenie in cloud size? All other points aside. I'd consider one if they are more powerful, but I really really hate torch lighters and the idea of vaping with a bic is so appealing to me I can accept smaller clouds if it's not chalk and cheese.

Last edited:

Tommy10

Hey, cheers for the advice. Taste is of little concern with me, and I can live with heat up time as long as it's under 12 seconds. I have looked at the Lilly and daisy and liked them but was turned off by the torch, I guess if I am to consider the lotus I should look at them too! I was keen to order a VG in the next few days but might look into the torch idea a bit more.
I think regardless, the VG coil is a must for me. Ability to use a bic when SHTF (we all have those Sunday mornings when things need to be kept Stone Age) price and ability to connect to water. Will order one but can take a month to get here :(. In the mean while I'll skulk about some butane torch threads and see what gets my engine reving!
I feel it is easier to be open about my VAS symptoms as we all know it happens anyways!

I'm assuming heat up time is greatly reduced with a torch over a yellow flame bic, accounting for this and not regarding taste. Is overall cloud side noticeably different between using the two in VG's?

OF

I HATE bics and torches provide way tastier hits and less heat up imo. You'll get big rips from lotus or vapor genie. Vapman can push some clouds too. Have you looked at daisy or lily? @Tommy10

Second both the torch and VM. Although I think VM is not for everyone, VG should be.

I'm assuming heat up time is greatly reduced with a torch over a yellow flame bic, accounting for this and not regarding taste. Is overall cloud side noticeably different between using the two in VG's?

Your assumption is wrong. Butane is butane. It releases the same heat no matter how it burns. It's just with a torch the heat is much more concentrated and easier to control. Less is wasted. Ideally the heat (in BTUs or calories) is the same for the same volume of gas burned.

However, 'candle flame' lighters have another problem, unless you're very careful they don't burn completely. You end up robbing enough of the heat locally so the second reaction (Carbon to Carbon Dioxide) gets interrupted. You breathe in some CO (Carbon monoxide, never good.....) and deposit soot on the exchanger which eventually fouls it. Hempwick is even worse IMO.

I too started out with several very nice pipe lighters (side shot candle flames for the most part), now no longer used.

I highly recommend at least trying a torch, this one is under three bucks shipped and does a great job:
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.VZ_bTsnSO9I

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
I highly recommend at least trying a torch, this one is under three bucks shipped and does a great job:
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.VZ_bTsnSO9I
I tried to purchase this torch in early January, at OF's recommendation.
DX gave me a hard time, and I never got the items.
I ordered 2.
Every time I tried to ask about it, they said "Please check at your Post office".... and when I advised them that I did, they said "Please wait 2 more weeks".
After 3 months I requested a refund.
Again they asked me 4 times to wait 2 more weeks.
It escalated into a Paypal dispute, and finally a claim.
PayPal refunded the money to me this week... 6 months later.
I did not save the emails... and the DX message system, as I am sure many know can not be logged into other than by an email link that they send.
I saved my Facebook interactions with them, after the 1st 3 months of waiting:
The text in the color is my words.. theirs is prefaced with their "icon"
March 13th, 12:35pm
I placed an order 3 months ago, that has not arrived. I keep hounding them at the website, but they keep telling me to be patient for 2 more weeks. They have told me they will take action in 2 more week 5 times already. Any help here?

March 17th, 12:14am

May I have your order number?

March 18th, 3:53pm
Order number was 150112001099575185

In customer support ticket 54B2FD7205A34B63A9AFB49C0B01A5EE

March 19th, 12:34am

Could you please kindly first contact your local post office to check out the status?
If there is no package there after you contact your local post office, please contact us again asap. Please advise.Have a nice day!

March 19th, 6:51am
Yes.. I have contacted my local post office 6 times over past 3 months, just as "Windy" instructed me to do.
Yes... each time I contacted post office... I waited 8 more days, as I was instructed.
Please do not stall any more.
I just want the package I ordered 3 months ago
I go to local post office every day
I have my own "lock box" there.
I just checked, and the package I ordered 3 months ago is not there... same as yesterday... and the day before.
Yes.. I asked the Postmaster while I was there.
There is no package

March 19th, 7:52pm

Sorry for your package may be lost during the transition. Would you like reshipment or refund or saving store credit as compensation? If accpepting reshipment, you must pay 1.7USD postage and we can reship the items. Are you ok with this?

March 21st, 8:02am
NO! I am not OK with that. I already paid shipping. I do not want store credit, because I do not want to do more business with you. I want the items I already paid for.
Please send me my 2 jet lighters as ordered.

March 23rd, 1:32am

We have arranged the replacement for you. The new order number is 150323001054186342. Please donot worry. Also we will urge our related department to fast the process and send you a confirmation email about delivery as soon as we reship your order.

March 23rd, 10:00am
Thank you. I received confirmation and will watch for delivery.
I will report that you helped me in this matter.
I have also, deleted any "negative posts" about this situation. Your help was greatly appreciated.

March 24th, 12:03am

Thanks for your trust and this means a lot to DX.
Anything else,please let me know. smile emoticon

May 17th, 12:49pm
OK.... You said if I needed help to let you know.
They are doing it to me again.. the same exact way
They said they re-shipped the order a month ago.
It is still not here.
They are giving me the same dishonest story this time....
"please check again at the post office"..
"Give us time...."
All I want is my 2 lighters
This has now been a half a year, and I am feeling that trying to buy anything from China is impossible and that the money disappears into pockets of thieves.

May 17th, 1:32am
Why are you having so much trouble selling 2 simple Jet Lighters?
You asked me to show faith and trust. I showed you trust by removing all of the negative feedback.

May 17th, 11:52pm

150323001054186342 has been shipped on 4/2/2015 10:38:47 AM. Could you pls wait for another 2 weeks?

May 18th, 9:02am
I suppose I have no choice... as you have my money

This is the 4th time I have been asked to wait two more weeks over this.. the second package!

Please send me my lighters.

May 18th, 7:53pm

Since there is no tracking number,the ETA time is much longer. Hope you can understand.

June 1st, 6:14am
Now they tell me on my order that package is lost again.

I paid 6 months ago 05DD4F33174F48B68796E04D53FC43EB

they ask if I want a refund

I just want what I paid for a half year ago!

please read back, my history of this message between us!

June 1st, 7:17pm

Sorry,your order was confirmed lost again. I will submit overdue refund to Financial Dep. this week. You might receive money back in about 2 weeks.

June 2nd, 6:45am
I dont want money back

I want the order I paid for 6 months ago.

I removed your bad feedback as a favor to you

Now the bad feedback goes back for you!

June 2nd, 8:43pm

will submit overdue refund to Financial Dep. this week.
You might receive money back in about 2 weeks.

July 1st, 7:40am
Deal Extreme should live in shame. I never received a purchase I made in January! After 6 months, I was still waiting for a refund, and DX kept stalling. Today I called Paypal and I showed them all of DX's emails asking me to wait longer. Paypal took the money out of DX's account and have repaid me, and told me they have to handle disputes concerning DX daily. Needless to say I would never do business with DX again.

Sunday 10:19pm

It often takes more time for overdue refund to be back to your card. Now the dispute has been upgraded. Money has been back to your paypal.3LM7*****056743M is the refund ID.

Monday 9:15am
Yes I know the dispute was upgraded. I am the one that upgraded it....

Please do not try to seem as though you were helpful... PayPal TOOK the money from your account due to non-compliance with their rules.
The money is back in my account now... but not because DX helped..
It is back because I won the dispute and Paypal forcibly took the money back from you

Monday 10:53pm

Sorry,if you say so, I have no other words to say. Have a nice day!
Chat Conversation End
Please DO note, folks... that I did buy the lighter at a local head shop... same as the one from DX.
As OF says... it is a great lighter/torch for VG use.
I loved it.

I am just not certain about buying it from DX!

Last edited:
Top Bottom