VaporGenie

bounce5

I have enjoyed successful VG use with a Hempwick, when it was braided.
I still do not care for using it, however.
I just braided on up and did a hit for you.
My voice is on the video, but it will be replaced with music and "titles" in short order.
A personal touch for the first people that view the video.
Text you see here in violet will vanish at the same time that my voice does.
This is awesome. Would it still soot up the ceramic filter though, if you decided to always use braided hemp wick? I hear that's the problem with the candleflame lighters, even when you light them away from the pipe - they still leave soot after continued use - because of the "dirty" flame. I might consider getting one in the future if I could use it this way - takes care of the butane in the airpath issue and I wouldn't have to use a torch flame - which looks suspicious in public.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am careful when using it to hold the flam over the pipe.... no angles.. and draw the flam straigh downward, trying to inhale only heat downwards.
I am certain that repeated use like this will add soot to the ceramic.

Vitolo,
Reactions: bounce5

Beluga

Only you can prevent ganja fires.
butane in the airpath issue

When a fuel is completely combusted, all that remains is the energy of the flame as well as H2O and CO2. I wouldn't worry about inhaling anything; though I have read that using butane gives some people headaches (but I'm not completely certain why).

Beluga,
Reactions: Derrrpp

bounce5

When a fuel is completely combusted, all that remains is the energy of the flame as well as H2O and CO2. I wouldn't worry about inhaling anything; though I have read that using butane gives some people headaches (but I'm not completely certain why).
Even if it's not dangerous, I've read many current owners and past owners of vaporgenie say they tasted it, and since the inhales are long it became an issue. I've read that many times, people say it evaporates into H20 and Co2, if people are tasting it, it makes me think not all of it is evaporating into harmless water and Co2. Tasting it would inevitably make me worry. I have read from some members that with proper technique with a torch lighter you can make it so you can't taste it...not totally sure about that though of course since I haven't tried it...

bounce5,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Even if it's not dangerous, I've read many current owners and past owners of vaporgenie say they tasted it, and since the inhales are long it became an issue. I've read that many times, people say it evaporates into H20 and Co2, if people are tasting it, it makes me think not all of it is evaporating into harmless water and Co2. Tasting it would inevitably make me worry. I have read from some members that with proper technique with a torch lighter you can make it so you can't taste it...not totally sure about that though of course since I haven't tried it...
I haven't heard that from many users who primarily use a torch. Unless they position it to inhale butane exhaust.

It would be weird to taste butane when using a hemp wick. It gives its own unique flavor though.

EDIT:
My bad on not rereading your posts somehow I didn't register those final lines.

You're going to taste butane from a soft flame lighter if you inhale around the blue or too far, its fairly hard to prevent that from a soft flame. But you should use a torch in general for ease, longevity, and saving money.

Here's a write-up from reddit that was very informative for new users that I feel should be crossed over here.

Read this OC.
This is the Vapor Genie FAQ Reddit deserves.

I've spent hours on this to make you a better class of stoner. And save your lungs. Replacing smoking with vaping really helped my asthma.

I have 3 years of experience and own every product in their line sans the Bronze Sherlock, Aluminum Bat, and Volta. Before the VG, I frequented a friend's MFLB, but disliked the battery dance. A head shop strong-armed me into a Vapor Genie. Bless their patchouli scented souls.
I heard it burns through lighters
"Burning through lighters" is what happens when barbarians manhandle a state-of-the-art handheld vaporizer.

Being the connoisseur you are, you'll invest in a pipe lighter—which produces a horizontal flame—and exclusively uses premium butane fuel. Such fuel contains negligible levels of impurities.

For comparison, I attempted to find the level of impurities in a BIC lighter. I question why this information is so well hidden.

Advantages of buying a proper lighter and premium butane**
  • You're not poisoning yourself with a BIC

• The BIC tastes like sucking down thick, farty smog

Premium butane is thin-as-air and its flavor is hardly detectable

• Buying BIC's are already wasting your precious dollars

My thrice-daily vaping habit went through about 2 BIC's a week ($208/yr.)

• Online bulk purchases will save you tons of cash

Refills are available at cigar shops when you're in a bind

I heard it has a steep learning curve
Yet the entire concept can be explained in one image.***

Easy-to-understand concepts for the Newbie
  1. Don't over-pack the bowl

If it's too packed, you won't be able to draw in hot air.

Don't under-pack the bowl

You need that hot air to stick around long enough to heat the herb up.

2. Allow only the very tip of the flame enter into the bowl—just the tip.

3. When you draw quickly...

...you pull more cool air into the bowl.

When you draw slowly...

...you pull less cool air into the bowl.
When I used to pass the VG around, I explained that this piece is a double hitter. The first draw heats up the bowl, the second draw gives you a massive hit. Nowadays I load personal bowls for folks.

The perfect draw in four idiot-proof steps
  1. Take a slow draw until your lungs are full
  2. Breath out through your nose until your lungs are empty

THEN IMMEDIATELY

3. Take a fast draw until your lungs are full

4. Hold it in for a few seconds
The bowl is finished when your herb is a coffee-colored brown!

Expert Mode
The Slow Draw
  1. Using a pipe lighter, I place the tip of the horizontal flame just above the center of the bowl

2. I slowly increase the speed of my draw until its force pulls the flame into the bowl

3. I sustain my intake speed while checking that just the tip of the flame has entered the bowl

The Fast Draw
  1. I begin drawing a bit quicker (don't go ape shit)

2. I check to make sure just the tip of the flame has entered the bowl

3. I check the speed of my draw by its sound. If you hear a whistle, your speed is perfect.

Customer Service

These guys rock. My first order was $420—lol—and they surprised me with a free t-shirt and rad stickers. I've sent them technical questions before and they've been kind enough to forward them to the engineers—who then responded.

Best of Everything
Aluminum Pipe
At $65, the APVG is the best bang for your buck. Tough construction, quality rips, reasonable cost, and moderate portability are great, especially when it doesn't overheat and is easy to clean.

This is Vapor Genie's flagship product, even if they don't realize it yet.

Get one with a Flamed Top. Your accidental burn marks instantly look trendy and intentional.

Pros

1. Tough construction

2. Quality rips

3. Doesn't overheat

4. Features-to-dollar ratio
Neutral

1. Pipe is portable, but you'll have to remove the wood top to put it in your pants
Cons

1. Can't clean wood top with isopropyl alcohol

Best Durability /Easiest to Clean
Stainless Steel Bat
Also at $65, the SSBVG is basically indestructible. Bring this pipe where rugged conditions demand it.

An upgraded version of the Aluminum Bat Vapor Genie. Personally, the SSBVG gets hot enough. I can't imagine how hot the ABVG runs (unless that's a feature to you, see: "Pro /Con"). The ABVG is tough, but this SSBVG is a tank.

Pros

1. Tank-like construction

I've dropped this on pavement several times; I feel bad for the pavement.

2. Quality rips

3. Fits in pants

4. Easiest VG to clean
Pro /Con

1. Overheats

In cold conditions (i.e. snowboarding), you can use your SSBVG as a hand warmer.

Best Portability /Lowest Cost
Stainless Steel Coil
At $35, the SSCVG is the perfect "always have it on me" piece. Probably the best weed pipe ever for a skateboarder since it isn't painful to land on.

Pros

1. Tough construction

2. Quality rips

3. Most concealable VG

4. Fun & Unique

Simply different; a great ice breaker. Folks will ask why you're smoking out of a door stop.
Cons

1. Overheats

Doesn't work as a hand warmer because it is so small

2. Can't see flame placement

The hole is on the opposite side of your face so it's tougher to learn on.

3. Impossible to fully clean

This thing is a coil. Resin cakes in between the various layers. You'll never get everything.

Risk & Reward
Glass Sherlock and Glass Bat
At $109 and $65 respectively, you'll have to weigh the risk of breaking expensive glass with its reward. Examine your finances.

This section will be dedicated to the GSVG—the VG with the best hit. I'd review the GBVG, which I enjoyed, but it shattered on its third outing after falling four feet onto tile. I believe this underlines the risk factor.

Pros

1. Best rips in the VG line

Vapor Genie reports that the Bronze Sherlock hits on the same level.

2. Unique & Fun

Folks call mine Shercock.

3. Easy to clean
Cons

1. Made of glass, it's gonna break

2. Jet lighters are known to cause cracks in the glass

Bunk Investments
Classic Color, Classic Natural, and Hand Carved
Ranging from $55 - $65, the CCVG, CNVG, and HCVG are a short-term investment. I gave mine away.

Those friends have used them for years and you can tell. Since the wood-construction VGs cannot be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, they'll get pretty gross.

Sure, you can take a pipe cleaner to them, but it won't reach everywhere. Isopropyl cleaning is so simple and effective, it's hard to pass up a SSCVG, SSBVG or APVG at lower or equal price points.

Pros

1. CCVGs offer multiple, bright colors

2. HCVGs are classy as fuck

3. Quality rips

4. More durable than glass
Cons

1. Pipe cleaners only, unable to clean CCVG/CNVG/HCVG with ISO alcohol

2. Poor long-term investment

3. Less durable than metal VG counterparts

For further reading, I'd highly recommend the Something Awful Forums (if you're a member), which has a VG thread with thousands of replies (scientific and anecdotal). I read every one.

Source

Last edited:

Beluga

Only you can prevent ganja fires.
@bounce5 The only time I could see someone tasting the butane is if their flame was really low and not completely combusting, or their torch is so close that the butane is entering the vape before combusting (which could also be a result of a small flame). I simply readjust my flame before every session and don't taste butane.

bounce5

I haven't heard that from many users who primarily use a torch. Unless they position it to inhale butane exhaust.

It would be weird to taste butane when using a hemp wick. It gives its own unique flavor though.
You confirm what I've heard about the torch. It's just too bad you can't use it with a candlelight flame without sooting up the ceramic - no matter if it's hempwick or a lighter. I figured if I primarily would have to use the torch with the VG, I might as well pay a bit more for the options with the isolated vapor path - one of the reasons I narrowed it down to VM or Lotus instead. In my case, I made the right choice. I still like the look of some of the vaporgenie's - maybe one day I'll get one too.

bounce5,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
But if you're using a torch you don't need an isolated airpath it would make no difference. Similar to the Daisy and Lily.

paytonpenn,

bounce5

I guess you are right... When I made my decision I wasn't sure, because of conflicting reports/opinions. I figured if the butane was possibly sneaking in with the candle flame lighters, it probably would (even if only slightly) with the torch lighters. The fact that it was a possibility that it could be an issue made the difference for me. Also I had never even owned a torch lighter before...so I wasn't confident...but I think maybe in the future I would take the leap and learn to make the vaporgenie sing her clean butane taste free song - the one I'm told she can sing if you come at her in the right way.

Vitolo

Vaporist
though I have read that using butane gives some people headaches (but I'm not completely certain why).
I believe that would be caused by repeated hits, with little stopping for air.
using a close torch can force you to repeatedly breath in "used" air... air with oxygen depleted due to the flame eating it all up. If a "chain hitter", that would be like breathing from an ill-adjusted tank in a scuba diving situation... this causes headache.

On another note.. (about torch lighters....)
This is my favorite/recommended lighter. Dirt cheap at three bucks shipped:
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.VMRmC8nSO9I
Three months ago, I had mentioned that I was ordering a couple of these at OF's recommendation.
I never reported back because I never got the lighters.
I do order from DealExtreme, and never had an issue.
After 15 back and forth communications (submitted tickets) during which time "Windy" requested 4 times that I "give it 8 more days and ask my post office again".
Today they told me my package must be lost, and if I would send them more money to cover postage, they would be glad to send me the $5 order again.
I am not pleased about this, and not certain how to proceed.
My last communication with them said "I do not want to send more money, and I want my lighters, please"

Last edited:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Had same issue as @Vitolo I tried to order 5 waited, 3 weeks knowing DX takes a while, messaged them and they asked to wait. A few days later I ask again and they say 3 more days. Eventually they ended up emailing me this

As one or more of your items is still on backorder from the manufacturer and will not be available for some time. So as not to have you wait on this, we have cancelled and refunded for your unshipped item. You may login to your DX account to check the detail. For PayPal orders please expect 1-3 days for funds to reach your account. Credit Card refunds typically take 3 to 7 days, or even over half a month to reach your bank account.

Ended up getting these branded as an 'Eagle' at a gas station. Love them, they have been consistent and have huge tanks.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: Vitolo

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@Vitolo You can also order the same ones you linked to right now from 'Triihouse' the makers of the Daisy and Lily for $5 each plus shipping. I've been putting one through heavy use since Aug/Sept hasn't let me down once. It works great with all my flame powered Vapes but the vaporlithe and gets daily use.

Aezhenn

Accessory Maker
I miss my good old classic one...
I want to buy a new Vg but still hesitate between a handcarved and a bronze one....

OF

I find knocking it on my knee between hits to stir works great. This will be nice for fishing breaks out of the wind..

I do that too. Be careful not to pack it too tight or use 'frosty' herb or it won't mix. With the issue where surface goodness glues it into a solid piece, I took to vaping a hit or so, stirring and dumping it in a vial for use in the field.

BTW, you can sometimes cheat the wind by rotating 90 degrees (make the bowl horizontal, not vertical). Then rotate the bowl and lighter until the flame is facing up or down wind. For extreme cases, I carry this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/Windmill-Clas...=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Windmill+Fire+One+Lighter

Actually mine is a different "Fire One" version, one of many similar ones. "Windmill Stormproof" is the key. It really will run in a storm. That is you can hang it out the car window at 55 mph and run it........

I miss my good old classic one...
I want to buy a new Vg but still hesitate between a handcarved and a bronze one....

Tough call. I have both. At the desk, there's no question: Bronze by a mile. The only time the HC sees action is outside where it needs to ride in a pocket. If I'm 'just going to the garden' (I need to put in a lot of supervision time this time of year.....) I'll carry the big Bronze guy that far as well.

Your call. Good luck with it.

OF

Aezhenn

Accessory Maker
Thanks OF!
I have to buy two eventually: the bronze one for home and a new classic on the go!
I don't see another solution! Fucking VAS!!! Aaaargh!

Aezhenn,
Reactions: OF

OF

Thanks OF!
I have to buy two eventually: the bronze one for home and a new classic on the go!
I don't see another solution! Fucking VAS!!! Aaaargh!

You're welcome, of course. Glad you found the information useful.

Good plan. A sojourn I took a while ago, best wishes.

But IMO it is a journey, VAS is more a factor in who you travel with than where the path leads? In the end, it's a tool, or rather a collection of them. Any magic has to come from the herb?

OF

Top Bottom