VaporGenie

OF

I am considering buying a VG, I v seen there is an alluminium option is this similar to the bronze model ?

No, the shape and material are unique to this model:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/bronze-sherlock-vaporizer#.U3yFxaxmNiI

Some VGs are easier to control than others. Some are smaller (usually with some sacrifice in ease of use) but may suit individual needs better.

Good luck with your choice of models, but it does matter and material is only part of it.

OF

Egzoset

Banned
UPDATE

More love for the 3-Stones modded VG pipe:

3343tbn.jpg

Notice how the PVC tube serves both as protective skin and flexible junction: that's simple double function!

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: Ronp

cat420

No, the shape and material are unique to this model:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/bronze-sherlock-vaporizer#.U3yFxaxmNiI

Some VGs are easier to control than others. Some are smaller (usually with some sacrifice in ease of use) but may suit individual needs better.

Good luck with your choice of models, but it does matter and material is only part of it.

off quote

Thanks mate !
I have just ordered the classic oak model...
let's see if ll be a good alternative to my Flash Vape.
I v read pritty nice review arnd the net about it's huge clouds etc.
cheers
cat

OF

Thanks mate !
I have just ordered the classic oak model...

You're welcome. Good choice, it didn't get the name classic by accident......

I think you'll find it's a whole different thing from the Flash Vape. Each useful, but hardly interchangeable. FV gets you there by brute force, VG by skillful user control. In the edged weapon world, one is a Cutlass, the other a Rapier as I see it.

By all means think about fire. Matches are useless, hempwick and similar a PITA, a lighter is really needed. "candle flame" ones like Bics are I think much harder to use, I think most agree a small torch type is better. I suggest ordering a couple of these, cheap, work well, shipped fast:
http://www.dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320#.U32N4KxmNiI

Regards and best wishes,

OF

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

I could have titled it MORE UPDATE but after i gave it a 2nd thought this post felt worth a more formal intro.

:D

It seems i've forgot to show some recent picture of "the core" which i consider essential so why not just begin from the start... Here's what i propose to readers today: lets align a few illustrations describing the overall picture in retrospective! IMO it's about time anyway!

:nod:

It shall be brief, m'well...

At the base of my VG Classic Mapple sphere there's a metal funnel which mates with the metal bowl on the wooden stem, as sold it provides a view on the internal side of a Ceramic Filter disc measuring about 7.5 mm thick, as i recall... This dark spongy "puck" allows air to pass quite freely and it also blocks light beyond a thickness of 4mm or so. It's made of refractory material that has nearly ideal characteristics for the present application but i wasn't at ease with the original design so i decided to adapt it in hope that would meet my needs better.

My late tubing experiments were shown already so this is where we start:

The entry aperture doesn't provide much space, as a result thickness should range around 1.5 ~ 2 mm only. In addition, i noticed erosion will cause this part to slip out eventually so that's why there needs to be a screen, to hold the puck... This sample below was taken before i put such screen:

This component fell off after a few days, hence the idea to add a double-function screen which also helps to keep things clean.

Now the core elements behind:

I guess the most evident feature would be my tripod-shaped glass deflector, maintained in position by an aluminium support underneath. Beyond we see parts of the core Ceramic Filter:

That puck measures 3 mm thick and there's another metal support to create some heat-sink bracing cage capable of diverting some heat away from the central axis. Here's a more suitable image where we clearly perceive the various degrees of obstruction around that central axis:

4iztc2.jpg

(3 mm core puck between 2 aluminium supports)

Once hot this assembly emits heat of its own, after removal of the flame.

Also, keep in mind this view doesn't show the glass deflector in place and hence it would be a mistake to conclude there's no direct obstruction to the central axis path. In fact i figure the inlet air changes direction at a 90 degrees angle when it reaches the metal support holding this glass bit...

Next what we have here is the missing link, e.g. what caused me to publish this today:

That's a complete view of the core without its sphere. On top the bowl-side, while the botton puck corresponds to the one visible on this final snapshot below:

Except i switched to the black ball again...

Anyway, that last Ceramic Filter should be a minimum of 4 mm thick ideally. I've made mine thinner but now i regret that i did, perhaps i shouldn't have tried any less than 3.5 mm for the front puck.

Although i've been made aware of possible 3rd-party suppliers my problem is i still don't have more of this:

2n0rbp.jpg

So please, VaporGenie if you read that!... Give it all some thought as it might be fun to have new related options, whichever suits both VG and their customers simultaneously!!

:2c:

Last but not least:

Yes Fred, finally i'm convinced we can have it without the need for electricity or even fire: just think of magnetic induction heating... All it takes is a finger like that of E.T. - or a proper magnetic driver!

Hummm... What about a dynamo type of concept powered by human muscles?!... No need for an A.C. power outlet or batteries. Good stuff hey?!

Well, personally i find Bi-Energy would be quite stimulating for an alternative as it is... Especially for those who like to wander in the vast wildness of mother nature!

Last edited:

basement farmer

My face is melting...

I think you'll find it's a whole different thing from the Flash Vape. Each useful, but hardly interchangeable. FV gets you there by brute force, VG by skillful user control. In the edged weapon world, one is a Cutlass, the other a Rapier as I see it.

By all means think about fire. Matches are useless, hempwick and similar a PITA, a lighter is really needed. "candle flame" ones like Bics are I think much harder to use, I think most agree a small torch type is better. I suggest ordering a couple of these, cheap, work well, shipped fast:

Regards and best wishes,

OF

I agree. I have a classic and IMO it's superior to the HW VG that I purchased more recently.

Use your senses, especially the tip of your tongue, to gauge the progression of your bowl.

I purchased the VG (Lotus) brand candle flame lighter off of the VG page. It was expensive, but worth it.

Ronp

I love my classic VG. I use it with a torch lighter (heats up faster; so, I get less out of breath, and the metal coil seems to not conduct heat to my fingers and lips as quickly). OF mentioned the uniqueness of the bronze pipe. I want one, but I'm having a problem justifying $90. Plus, my wife will beat me if I spend another dime on vapor paraphernalia. Do you folks know if there are any discount codes for vapor genie. If you know of one, I could simply hit her off with, "But...I got it on sale." It always works for her.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Last edited by a moderator:
Vitolo,
Reactions: cat420

cat420

Regards and best wishes,

OF
Thanks again ! You sound like a Vapoet ..:clap: nice swards related examples ...
actually I was concerned about the lighter matter. I v read bic are kind of bad for health so I m now ordering the one you have suggested. By the way isn't that flame too powerfull ? How distant you have to keep it in order to avoid melting down the whole VG ? I v seen on the VG website their own lighter but it is far too expancive...any other option ? I m afraid that torch ll melt off the rapier...

I love my classic VG. I use it with a torch lighter (heats up faster; so, I get less out of breath, and the metal coil seems to not conduct heat to my fingers and lips as quickly). OF mentioned the uniqueness of the bronze pipe. I want one, but I'm having a problem justifying $90. Plus, my wife will beat me if I spend another dime on vapor paraphernalia. Do you folks know if there are any discount codes for vapor genie. If you know of one, I could simply hit her off with, "But...I got it on sale." It always works for her.
Any tip on using well the torch lighter without burning the whole device ?

Last edited by a moderator:
cat420,
Reactions: OF

OF

Thanks again ! You sound like a Vapoet ..:clap: nice swards related examples ...
actually I was concerned about the lighter matter. I v read bic are kind of bad for health so I m now ordering the one you have suggested. By the way isn't that flame too powerfull ?

You're welcome, glad the sword analogy 'connected'. Such examples sometimes are very useful, but only if the other fellow 'gets it'.

The primary issue with (some) lighters healthwise is the metal used in the 'flint'. It ends up in the heat exchanger and is not healthy. The spark type ignition lighters fix that. Yes, the torch is powerful, that's the idea. You need to put a lot of heat into the exchanger. The exchanger is very very tough, you can't harm it with such a lighter on a bet. If fact, if you contaminate the exchanger with soot from poorly burning 'candle flame lighters' the cure is to put it on top of a shop vacuum hose (for lots of airflow) and torching the element with an even bigger torch until the entire thing glows to burn off the carbon. Blast away, you can't really harm the vape trying.

You'll find out first hand. I think most guys start out way too shy with the fire.....which is good of course.

Enjoy your (first) VG.

OF

OF,
Reactions: cat420

Ronp

actually I was concerned about the lighter matter. I v read bic are kind of bad for health so I m now ordering the one you have suggested. By the way isn't that flame too powerfull ? How distant you have to keep it in order to avoid melting down the whole VG ? I v seen on the VG website their own lighter but it is far too expancive...any other option ? I m afraid that torch ll melt off the rapier...

Any tip on using well the torch lighter without burning the whole device ?

I only have to heat the VG up for 3-5 seconds. I don't even feel the building of the vapors in my chest on the initial draws because they're so fast and cool . Start slow only heating the herbs 3-5 seconds; each time remove the heat (the torch lighter), continue to inhale. Until you can't inhale any more and hold. Even though you have half lung full of oxygen, you still get visible vapor. When you can't see anymore vapor experiment with the torch lighter holding it a bit longer each time. I like having an alarm clock, with a load second hand, to count how long your heating you herbs. Don't get to greedy, know when your herb is cached or you will burn it.

I love the vapor genie. If I lost power or went camping it would be my "must have" vape. It's virtually indestructible; I don't have to worry about plugs, batteries, or lighters. All I need is herb, fire, and a stick (to bring the fire to the VG). I don't know of any other vaporizer that can do that. Even the other lighter powered vapes need a torch lighter. I always work my VG into my rotation of vaporizers; so, I remain proficient on using it. You never know when the Zombie Apocalypse is coming. Many people will stockpile food others gold or weapons. I'm good I have my VG.

cat420

I v tried the VG...sounds good ! More powerful than my S2 Flash vape ...
I tried it with a really cheap electronic ignition lighter (just to avoid dangerous metal to spoil the VG).
It really hit hard..but my hands are also burning ! I guess with a torch or with a different lighter could be easier ...:D

by the way ...any suggestion in order to clean it wen travelling ? Just deep the herb container into 99% alcool ?

cat420,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
When using a piezo ignition lighter or Bic :( I recommend users to hold the lighter so the button is facing downwards.

I find a torch to be kind of overkill and only needed in certain scenarios. Not too much longer until I can make video demonstrating usage and comparing the couple of models still in my possession.

cat420

When using a piezo ignition lighter or Bic :( I recommend users to hold the lighter so the button is facing downwards.

I find a torch to be kind of overkill and only needed in certain scenarios. Not too much longer until I can make video demonstrating usage and comparing the couple of models still in my possession.

so this means that you have to keep the VG upside down ?

cat420,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Face the lighter so when you're holding the button your finger is under the flame.

I don't hold the VG upside down, I bring my thumb to touch the filter and the flame is perfect position to be inhaled.

paytonpenn,

OF

I find a torch to be kind of overkill and only needed in certain scenarios.

While I agree it's a good plan for piezo lighters, IMO it's exactly wrong for Bics and similar 'flint type'. Inverting it means all the nasty heavy metal stuff the heat is knocking loose is guaranteed to fall directly into the worst possible place, the heat exchanger. Keeping it upright keeps most of it in the lighter so there's a chance you won't end up 'eating it'.

Torches don't actually produce any more heat than any other flame consuming the same volume of gas. The chemical reactions (there are two main ones) are exactly the same, only more confined and controlled in the case of the torch. The controlled part is the key, I think. I find it much easier to control the small blue flame that defies gravity than the bigger 'candle flame' one that doesn't. I think most do as well?

It's just easier to get all the hot down the hole that way. And they don't soot up the exchanger like the other can.

If the torch you're using is too much for your technique, I suggest a smaller torch?

OF

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I still have poor results with torch lighters and my VGs. There is a strong possibility that if I had only used a torch when I started vaping with my first Vaporizer, a VG classic I would still be smoking.

I get fine control with a Bic, even outside on the lake in Florida.

To avoid inhaling metals from the flint it that's really your concern ALL you have to do is light the bic away from the bowl and not inhale when the wheel is sparking up the flint.

OF

To avoid inhaling metals from the flint it that's really your concern ALL you have to do is light the bic away from the bowl and not inhale when the wheel is sparking up the flint.

Glad you're getting the results you want, no matter what type it is.

However, I don't agree with the "All you have to do" to avoid the hazard, that funny colored 'ash' that collects around the top is chalk full of the very heavy metal salts we are worried about. All the metal that didn't 'drift away' settled there.

It's good to light it elsewhere, of course, but that doesn't end it. I would not recommend upending it in use any more than I would tapping the dust out onto your dinner plate.

Best avoided if you take such things seriously.

OF

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Where is the funny colored ash @OF on the VG or the lighter ? Haven't noticed it but I'll look for it.

RUDE BOY,
Reactions: OF

OF

Where is the funny colored ash @OF on the VG or the lighter ? Haven't noticed it but I'll look for it.

The lighter. Look, for instance, on the inside of the metal heat shield.

The stuff in the VG is basically soot, amorphous carbon like would darken up a lamp chimney. It happens because water vapor happens more easily than CO2. If the conversion isn't complete CO (carbon monoxide goes up first, just like with the traditional 'car in a closed garage'. The contamination on the heat exchanger gets there as a gas, not solids link the 'flint residue'.

OF

rekrab

any chance anyone could do a demo video of using the torch with a vg classic. I saw vitolos however he was able to adjust his to a soft flame. i have the torch that i use for my lotus, and i am still a little confused on how to use it with my genie

rekrab,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Rekrab,

...a demo video of using the torch with a vg classic.

As i recall Vitolo's method was to point his flame perpenticularily to the Classic sphere heat collector aperture, euh... Sorry, sometimes i feel like Data on STNG!... Anyway, he captures hot air only by avoiding its radiative component if i'm not mistaking.

Would you care to provide a reference to this video actually?

...i have the torch that i use for my lotus...

IMO it wouldn't hurt to include a reference for this equally important piece of information! The butane lighter may be 3rd-party but it's no less a critical element of the VG Classic pipe. Lots of variables here i would argue.

Egzoset,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I will be doing an elongated session video with water, dry glass, a hand carved VG, bronze, and coil, showing soft flame and torch usage.

I refuse to let a Bic meet my VaporGenie, my first VG classic had its filter turn light gray and orangish. All my four others which were never used with a Bic haven't shown any color change or had any taste problems.

I really like using a torch for my coil but hate it for my hand carved, but I believe this to be due to the torch not being an angled torch. I personally think I've mastered all VG usage, hemp wick, torch, soft flame, all can deliver the same but I won't and can't recommend trying to teach new users to use the torch unless it's with glass or water, I've noticed far more uneven vaping and difficulty to vape at lower temperatures for newcomers when it comes to torch usage. Soft flames rarely cause many issues unless wind is present, but then that's when it becomes Hammer time.

Top Bottom