VaporGenie

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

I'm simply curious.

39.gif

What about some sort of mutation ranging between a VaporStar and a Lotus (both fit for water accessories), so we could name it a VaporGenie for Bong i guess:

2cp7otx.jpg

What do you think?

:peace:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Seems to be a viable option. If you already own one, all you would need is the bottom. I think it's a swell idea.

Madcap79,
Reactions: Egzoset

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I've made my own version of that same idea, using glass parts, 14/18 expander w/screen and a 14/18 reducer w/ ceramic stones inside. I found when I stacked 2 of the stones, it's been working so much better as far as not getting too much scorching. I heat the top stone till I see vapor start to form in the bubbler, then I stop heating and continue drawing for a few more seconds and get the biggest rips!

In these photos, I am actually using a VG glass top to show my example, but since taking these pics, I have switched over to a standard low-pro reducer found on ebay (2 for $10), since my VG top is cracked and put away.

9I1RkRj.jpg

JP85FBD.jpg

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Great music! Im gunna hve to do some ordering..
I found that expander pretty cheap at pipesdaddy.com, but they can be found at many glass supply shops. If you already have the wood top, I read a ways back in this thread that people were also using standard SS metal pipe bowls (you know like the ones we used in the old daze) as long as it's threaded on the inside of the bowl, it should fit the wood top, and those have been rigged to work w/ glass too, in various ways. I have seen a few youtubes with people using the wood top. Good luck to ya.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Ill be buying a ghetto acrylic today for $20. It should be nice for my outdoors adventures.. If my VG top fits.. Otherwise ill have to grab my small tube and buy some Sherlock tops..

KidFated.,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

Thank you for all of the feedback, it will guide me as i clarify.

If you already own one, all you would need is the bottom.

Actually i ended up using 3 Classic pipes to build 1 (frequent reconfigurations caused accelerated erosion of my ceramic filters) and hence a switch to the Sherlock model, for example, would imply that i buy at least 2 new units to repeat such an approach.

So, of course i'd like an adapter bottom indeed... Because my modded top didn't exactly come cheap! Anyway i figure a metal bowl installed on a straight wood adapter wouldn't cost ~200 $ CAD, more like the same as a VapoStar i think.

39.gif

...I stacked 2 of the stones... ...I am actually using a VG glass top...

So there's room after all, only i'd need to start from the ground up using a Sherlock model. Also, in this particular context (e.g. when it comes to glass vs water accessories) i'd prefer the HD Vape profile:

Provided it's suitable with water in it, ideally...

If you already have the wood top... ...as long as it's threaded on the inside of the bowl...

I like that as this is a customized wood top and what you've just described seems to fit best. This reminds me of the Vapo-Bowl, the one with a metal top and a bowl/adapter made of glass:

28unr81.jpg
rutd34.jpg

Hummm... There are threads at the base of the metal bowl but i doubt its got any on the inside rim of the top aperture (where i'd want to attach my modded VG sphere), while i see no threads at all in the glass part.

46.gif

When I first got my VG classic the top got used a lot with a cheapo Rizla acrylic Bong, At the time it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So i guess i'd need to look for a bowl with threads, metal instead of synthetic material. The Vapor Buddy for Bongs might sound just like it but that one has lead-loaded paint - yuk!...

Last edited:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
of course, this is purely for example, but this is the style pipe I'm talking about that has the threaded bowl/lid combo, if you can find the bowl part like this one... the one I have here mates with the wood top just fine, then you just have to get a little creative to match it to your water piece, depending on what you use. I also looked into that Vapobowl, was interested, but read up on people having mixed results with the quality of the lid, and other issues, so I decided my VG style gong was good enough to keep using instead of buying more questionable materials. Ended up grabbing a lotus which serves me well too.

zy4GnLl.jpg

Last edited:

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations PaytonPenn,
Salutations JamBandPhan03,

Do you mean one like in this video...

No, that would be the one actually:

wrfhb4.jpg

Or more exactly the half part on the left...

I also looked into that Vapobowl, was interested, but read up on people having mixed results with the quality of the lid, and other issues...

It's only the adapter part i'd try to fit with my VG Classic sphere, to improve its versatility. But i don't see much incentive otherwise as the Lotus would make more sense to me as well.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
So i guess i'd need to look for a bowl with threads, metal instead of synthetic material

I guess my real question was if was the bowl with threads you were looking for.
Classic VG owners,

I found a bowl you can pickup from Home Depot that will connect your flame filter AND connect to a 14 mm glass downstem.

Go to the plumbing section and pick up a:

TUBE TO FIP
COUPLE W/INSERT
3/8"X3/8"

It'll look like this:

That nut on the right will screw off and you'll have something like this:

6_am_06120.jpg

The inside will have a little lip to put a wire coil for the bowl, just like the bowl on your VG.

I attached a 14mm downstem to the top of my hookah and am getting great results.

Oh and it's like 3 bucks.

paytonpenn,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again PaytonPenn,

...bowl with threads...

What i'm suggesting is that VaporGenie should add an offer compatible with water accessories, one where the bowl has threads to which a top VG sphere can effectively attach. The bowl would need to be metal but the adapter can be wood, teflon, etc...

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

Something unusual happened recently which i didn't manage to replicate again but yet i find it worth a mention anyway: i think while vaping i heard a vibration-tone emanating from the tripod-shaped glass bit in my 2-Stones/Twin Shield (moddified) VG Classic pipe. Since i can't cause this phenomena to re-occur it's hard to describe but i'd say it was a function of airflow, evidently, and temperature (!)...

Put briefly this could mean that an audible temperature-reacting device can be manufactured at very little cost provided the core puck is upgradable accordingly.

Egzoset,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@KidFated Looks nice and toasty warm(not) There sittin' on the ice with your vaporgenie classic.

RUDE BOY,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations KidFated.,

I dont understand.. :/

Which part? It makes a sound when the temperature is reached... It vaguely reminded me of chalk on a drawing board, but with a higher pitch. Now imagine if it could be tailored to generate an audible note when temperature is slightly lower than ideal, to serve as a warning sign.

This actually happened more than once, in a few previous sessions too. Most certainly ritual-related, though i wonder if temperature would really happen to be predictible this way.

Last edited:

KidFated.

Unknown Member
So you're mod is making a noise when it hits temp? Or just sometimes? It be cool to base temp off of tha sound it was giving off.. My buddy is working on a double VG stone waterpipe filter for GonG gear, torch is necessary, ill try to take some pics if i can get over there after i stop at tha college.

@RUDE BOY it was actually quite cold that day, walked off tha lake in -27 i believe that night.. Only vape that can handle it is my VG, gotta keep my lighters warm though! And actually, when temp is around zero or slightly above, my heater can make you take off your jacket and snowpants. Last year i was sweating most the season..

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again KidFated.,

...i didn't manage to replicate... ...i can't cause this phenomena to re-occur...

Or just sometimes?

A few times only, on a random basis.

My buddy is working on a double VG stone waterpipe filter for GonG gear, torch is necessary...

One of my intermediary reconfigurations worked fine with blue jet lighters as i recall: i used to heat my front ceramic disk until it started to look dim-red, which inspired me the idea of a 2-paths VG concept where pre-heating can be done away from the bowl (cannabis-less) while the actual inhalation would use a cleaner path once temperature is right. This would significantly reduce potential exposition to butane and/or its possible by-product compounds (if any) and that would also allow a user to recover his breath after the pre-heating phase, to enjoy the inhalation part better...

Since your friend is into VG modding here's what i believe should be tested relatively to delaying hot-spot formation:

9icz2e.jpg

Instead of a regular cylinder-shaped puck why not make it slightly longer and concave? Possibly with a tripod-shaped glass shield allowing partial airflow around the center axis only?... The peripheral air pocket would promote easier heat transit around the edge, to compensate for the "focussing" effect i commented about before.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
You're going for a pure convection based lotus type VG hybrid? Seems like taste would be slightly improved too, or you could just notice it easier by not having to waste lung preheating tha stone. You rock Ego, just did a screen shot and sent it to him, he's been trying to rid hotspots actually so this'll help a lot. I was happy with my VG acrylic wp setup..

KidFated.,
Reactions: Egzoset

Egzoset

Banned
Hi there!

You're going for a pure convection based lotus type VG hybrid?

Not really Lotus-like at all since this customized VaporGenie would be self-moisturizing while the Lotus is dry.

:brow:

Seems like taste would be slightly improved too...

My guess is this would effectively feel like an improvement to those who accidently let their flame touch the puck once in a while, during the pre-heating phase. But considering i always depend on eye-contact i see it more like a way to optimize ratios between cannabic vapor and the rest.

...or you could just notice it easier by not having to waste lung preheating tha stone.

That's the side of it which pleases me most and now that some of my rememberances are coming back i'd point out the pre-heating phase shouldn't even need any lung work at all: as a matter of fact it's when i started experimenting with my HA pump connected to the pipe, leading to evidence that there's water vapor in the hot air stream.

...just did a screen shot and sent it to him, he's been trying to rid hotspots actually so this'll help a lot.

Oh, then i wish we can read about his own findings soon!! In the meantime i find that a full bowl doesn't work as well for me, perhaps because the herb is too close when it's packed.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Damn you rock ego.. Ill try and get over to his place soon so i can post some pics for you, we already broke one tube and 3 downstems. Hopefully it doesn't get anymore expensive.

KidFated.,

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

You rock Ego...

Damn you rock ego...

M'well i like some classic too sometimes, more like progressive rock and various other styles but i must admit i don't know why you keep writing "Ego" when my alias is "Egzoset", or just "Egzo" if you prefer.

106.gif

Ill try and get over to his place soon so i can post some pics for you, we already broke one tube and 3 downstems. Hopefully it doesn't get anymore expensive.

I understand all too well as i only have 1 pipe which remains functional today and that's from a total of 3, for something which was supposed to be economical when it started... For me the modding stopped months ago but it doesn't mean i'm no longer curious about the creations of other members! So please post pictures as you see fit...

KidFated.

Unknown Member
No matter where i see your name, i see "egoset" and i just kinda ran with it.. You don't mind if some punk calls you ego now and then do ya? ;) but seriously. I still read your name egoset, i cant help it.

KidFated.,
Reactions: grokit
Top Bottom