VaporGenie

rekrab

so just a quick question, i have an old beat up vapor genie that i lent to my sister for a week and she gives it back to me and tells me she just used it as a regular old combustion pipe just without the top screwed on. dumb i know. i wanted to try and resurrect it and make it enjoyable again. just wondering if its worth the clean or will it just taste like shit, i have new screens, but basically the bowl is a little caked in combustion resin. i will clean the filter as well

OF

i wanted to try and resurrect it and make it enjoyable again. just wondering if its worth the clean or will it just taste like shit, i have new screens, but basically the bowl is a little caked in combustion resin. i will clean the filter as well

Bummer, but I dare say many of us have had similar experience, loan good gear out in the hopes of making a convert, get kind of a mess back? Still, it's a good thing to do, I hope you continue to give blazers a chance?

Anyway, I recall a couple of stories of successful clean ups. It's not easy or quick to do a full up job, but IIRC it can be done.

When it comes to the heat exchanger (what some call the filter) there's a neat clean up video somewhere using an industrial vacuum for suck and a torch for hot.

Good luck with it, I hope it can be saved, there aren't enough VGs in use in the world yet, IMO. We need more, not less.

OF

rekrab

Bummer, but I dare say many of us have had similar experience, loan good gear out in the hopes of making a convert, get kind of a mess back? Still, it's a good thing to do, I hope you continue to give blazers a chance?

Anyway, I recall a couple of stories of successful clean ups. It's not easy or quick to do a full up job, but IIRC it can be done.

When it comes to the heat exchanger (what some call the filter) there's a neat clean up video somewhere using an industrial vacuum for suck and a torch for hot.

Good luck with it, I hope it can be saved, there aren't enough VGs in use in the world yet, IMO. We need more, not less.

OF
ya i was a tad pissed but hey its not to expensive at least, but i will try some iso magic to get rid of the gunk. i have tried the vaccum method in the past and it seemed to work good. id like to try and give the VG another chance with a torch lighter as well instead of hemp wick.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The bowl should come clean with iso and steel wool The bottom you might want to just try pipe cleaners and scraping, it may still stink and taste rather badly but if its a removable filter you could hit it with a torch make it glow and your good to go.

edit: DO NOT ISO A WOOD BOTTOM it will stink and taste like crap forever.

Last edited:

wisherly

It depends on what it's made out of. Assuming wood, well, I like the vapor genie wire brushes, along with a fresh or cleaned screen of course. I torch my screens to clean them. In my experience after a combustion incident the taste will mostly go away after using it a couple of times.

rekrab

It depends on what it's made out of. Assuming wood, well, I like the vapor genie wire brushes, along with a fresh or cleaned screen of course. I torch my screens to clean them. In my experience after a combustion incident the taste will mostly go away after using it a couple of times.

hopefully, i want to give the VG another chance as a more experienced vaper

rekrab,
Reactions: OF

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Minnesota to Canada cant be too big of an issue, and it wouldn't bother me any. Let me (us) know how it all works out

KidFated.,

CaptainDave

I think you should pull the mouth piece off ! I think it gives you more control and makes it a little smaller instead of the narrow mouthpiece.

Last edited:
CaptainDave,
Reactions: KidFated.

CaptainDave

Yes, I know what you mean. It's very low tech and functional with just a bic lighter (better to use a pezo-ignition). The only real draw backs are the wind (very tough to keep a steady flame) and it is a bit of hog ( maybe it's just me chasing clouds).

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I gotta say, its more of a hog than my hammer, but i know better than to leave home without a flame vape..
*lighter* vape.. Butane powered could always fail

Can someone point me towards a nice piezo lighter?

Last edited:

OF

Can someone point me towards a nice piezo lighter?

Sure. How about $3.20 each, shipped?
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

Solid little units (I have several spread around in handy places). I have never lost one and have several that have been filled many many times. I'm on my second can of Vector filling them and it's basically empty right now. I use them from candle lighting through light soldering work.

I have others, but keep coming back to this one.

IMO torch type lighters are easier to control when it comes to heating the right spot on the VG core.

BTW, don't worry about shipping from China on these, over several orders they seem to get here in 2 or 3 weeks provided they're in stock (they disappear sometimes).

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
Good one OF...
I still prefer the soft blue flame I get from my harbor freight Torch.
I can not find another that will "soften up" like it can.
It does cost $8 - $11 depending on when you get it.
The clicker went out on mine after a year and a half, so I had to get a new one.
I still keep the old one as a "manual ignite torch"
I posted the vids of it at http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporgenie.1/page-115#post-465569

wisherly

^interesting set-up Egzoset. I've been meaning to go back over this thread sometime to check out your mods some more. Your shields are for more even heating I take it?

Anyway, I like Vector armor lighters. They can be had on amazon for a little over $20. (just search "vector armor") Nowadays they have a dual flame with the yellow flame staying lit without your having to hold down the ignition, which is kind of nice for the VG. My current one is not igniting very well, but still under warranty- I've been meaning to send it in for a while. The butane tank on them is a bit small though.

wisherly,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Wisherly,

Your shields are for more even heating I take it?

Yes, it was an attempt to compensate for what i perceive as a "focussing" effect resulting from the ceramic puck: it's cylindrical in shape while i suspect it probably needs to have a longer conical profile instead.

Anyway, i finally illustrated my last modification on page 116. That's as far as i could go with this!

:science:

...I like Vector Armor lighters.

I wish i could have obtained the original myself but i don't do e-commerce and it appears to have been discontinued on top of that. By chance the Xikar serves me well.

...they have a dual flame... ... The butane tank on them is a bit small though.

Those models offering both a traditional yellow "candle" flame and a blue "jet" flame made me very enthousiastic last summer but i didn't manage to get my hands on any of them and i just hate to buy without touching 1st.

:cool:

This reminds me that one of my previous versions actually worked better with a jet flame but i prefered to continue optimisation until i felt satisfied that i had done my best trying to favour soft flame compatibility. My impression is that the "defocussing" idea remains to be developped to its full potential; when/if this happens i can easily imagine a VG that works suitably with both types of flames - which would be great because yellow flames are easier to see while the blue ones won't dance in the wind (and the tank is said to last longer).

In any case i have no worries related to metal/butane taste as the extension tube was a significant improvement for me, maybe even the most important feature now that it's possible i may have acquired enough skills to operate a genuine (original) VG Classic, e.g. as sold - but of course i don't have one left anymore!...

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: wisherly
Top Bottom