Vaporbrothers Vaporizer

TMNT556

Thank you both so much for the replies, appreciate it. I am much more confident in this purchase now. The only other thing I notice is that it does not seem to be pictured with the EZ Change Whip. Perhaps the inclusion of the EZ is also a reason VB raised the price? Just speculating. Thank you both again, and for the ebay link, I will check it out.

TMNT

TMNT556,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I actually prefer the standard hands free whip more than the EZ Change, just my opinion of course but there's no issue with the regular hand kit. Screens are easy to change with the regular and I like the way it hits better. Looks like a good deal.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
VapeSpace said:
Doesn't look like that AllStarWhole listing has the new ceramic EZ Change Whip.
7th Floor wands work great (easy screen changing) with VB and are $16 instead of $60.

max,

TMNT556

max said:
VapeSpace said:
Doesn't look like that AllStarWhole listing has the new ceramic EZ Change Whip.
7th Floor wands work great (easy screen changing) with VB and are $16 instead of $60.

are they similar in design to the EZ whip or are you just saying in general is a quality wand that works well with VB? I will definitely look into it. $16 sounds much more friendly than $60.

edit: any chance you could link me the particular wand you're referring to?

TMNT556,

max

Out to lunch
7th Floor wands are thick glass. Screen changing is easy. It's a simple, basic design and the price is low. Hard to beat. You can buy on either the DBV or SSV site. I know the standard fits VB. You may want to call 7th Floor (don't email) to confirm that the hands free version fits, or maybe someone here knows for certain.

http://dabuddhavaporizer.com/custom-glass/wands.html

max,

VapeSpace

max said:
7th Floor wands are thick glass. Screen changing is easy. It's a simple, basic design and the price is low. Hard to beat. You can buy on either the DBV or SSV site. I know the standard fits VB. You may want to call 7th Floor (don't email) to confirm that the hands free version fits, or maybe someone here knows for certain.

The SS HF wands have a male end that would not work with the VB heat element as it requires a whip with a female end.

VapeSpace,

TMNT556

To be honest, I'm not so much worried about the ease of screen changing, as much as the glass breaking on the wand. Not that I'm reckless, I just hear the ceramic ones are much harder to break.

TMNT556,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
TMNT556 said:
To be honest, I'm not so much worried about the ease of screen changing, as much as the glass breaking on the wand. Not that I'm reckless, I just hear the ceramic ones are much harder to break.

I don't believe there will be much difference in durability. The old glass pieces have been pretty resilient to my clumsy hands. However I have never tried the new whip so I cannot say for certain.

wowthisisrandom,

max

Out to lunch
VapeSpace said:
max said:

The SS HF wands have a male end that would not work with the VB heat element as it requires a whip with a female end.
I should have known that. My only excuse (and a poor one) is that I'm not a hands free fan.

max,

VapeSpace

max said:
VapeSpace said:
max said:

I should have known that. My only excuse (and a poor one) is that I'm not a hands free fan.

I'm with you Max. I prefer Standard to Hands Free.

VapeSpace,

VapeSpace

Hammock Guru said:
Another question;

I've been searching online for a replacement handsfree whip for my VB, but everybody seems "sold out" or "back ordered". I'm impatient.

A little late to answering your question but for those of us searching, finally after months of "out of stock messages" for any Hands Free style Vaporbrothers whip, VaporWarehouse finally has some of the clear glass hands free handpieces "in stock". Looks like only the handpiece is available as it does not come with a hose or mouthpiece.

VapeSpace,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
Hey guys I got a chance to email the people over at VB and get the answers to a lot of my questions. I thought it might be worthwhile to post this here to answer people with similar questions as me.

is it 100% rohs compliant?

The parts that can be RoHS compliant are compliant... This applies to
the
electronic components. There isn't a RoHS standard that we know about
for
our glass, rubber, ceramic and wood. We choose medical grade where
possible, with the high temperature silicone and the plastic tubing.
We
take care that the materials are not dirty and made with other
components
we wouldn't want gassing out of the vaporizer. The wood and paints are
either from Europe or of the European standard, which is low VOC and
generally on a much better level than what's allowed in the US as far
as
toxins are concerned.

what chemicals are used in the finish of this vaporizer?

Tons of organic solvents and dyes, but the solvents gas off during the
curing time, and in our heated "box burn-in" at our workshop. The
finish
is sometimes a danish oil wax finish, and sometimes a European
regulation-friendly polyurethane. Once it reaches your hands, it
smells
a
little of finish, but is emitting solvents in trace amounts. Any other
item in your kitchen, school, hospital, etc., will emit more than this
box.

what paint is used for the black part inside the vaporizer?

It is a high temperature ceramic filled enamel paint, intended for use
on
the hot outer surfaces of ovens that cook food. It's rated for 1600F,
so
at our temperatures we don't see it offgassing any time soon.

Can the vaporizer reach a high enough temperature to outgas these
chemicals?

In tiny amounts. We pre cook off anything that wants to come out.
What
remains is a little glue, finish, wood smell, but less than what you'd
inhale anywhere else. We've verified using a bunch of tests, including
TO-15 testing for VOC's, to make sure you aren't exposed to anything
more
than what you would in daily life.

Also what is with the recent price increase?

Long time coming. We were trying to keep this thing low cost for all
people to enjoy. We were even competing in price against knockoffs
that
don't do anything as difficult as what we do. We were pretty good at
it.
Didn't raise our prices for almost 10 years, which is totally stupid to
some people. But the crash in 2008 killed a lot of our key sources,
and
the cost of our parts went up by 2-8 times. Several factory owners got
old
and gave the businesses to their sons, who don't care so much for our
stuff, which always requires extra careful attention & costly
materials.
Times are harder for the high end anal people like us.

An ssv is only 30 dollars more than your black coffee. An ssv has a 3
year
warranty, much more accesories, and is widely considered a superior
product.

Yup, they get it done pretty well. We have a little edge on the
warranty
I think, but I haven't seen it recently.. although we do fix units for
at
least 5 years with a small flat fee, then offer a super discounted new
unit
to anybody with a unit more than 5 years old. We have to sell our unit
for
what it costs us... we're not doing any competitive posturing with our
pricing... just want to get the thing made right and out the door.

Also, does the vapor path go through any electronics, or any unsafe
places
that could cause toxins to be released?

Not really. We see most air goes right in the front of the unit and
turns
around inside and goes into the back of the heater. There are
electronics
in that vicinity, but they are carefully controlled to be lead free,
etc,
and also they are designed to run cool and not stink. The testing we
do
doesn't find any issue with the air that runs through the unit.

Also, why have you guys not changed the heater angle if you raised the
price?

Our price increase isn't tied to any particular improvements. We make
improvements constantly and don't change the price. It is just
reflecting
the massive cost increase of building good quality vaporizers in the
USA.
Changing the angle would double or triple the price, because we'd have
to
change everything to do it. Would have to move to a metal housing, and
figure a new way to hold the heater without overheating anything. The
vape
may become uglier, easy to tip, prone to overheating, etc... unless we
figure out a better way.

The angle is considered the major downfall of this vaporizer.

Yup, but we got over it long ago when we were told by most of our
customers that it was a minor issue once they get used to their
vaporizer.
The vape is constructed from wood very simply, and cools itself well
with
the angle like that. If anybody can figure out an easy way to angle
the
heater down without making the box fall over or overheat, we want to
know.

P.S. Mods don't worry I checked with JP over at VaporBrothers and he said it would be fine to share this.

wowthisisrandom,

max

Out to lunch
Good info wow. Thanks.

"We have a little edge on the warranty I think"

I guess VB will always have their own definition of warranty, but since for everyone else, consumers and companies alike, warranty repair means free, they really only have coverage for one year.

"Unregistered owners:
For a period of 1 year after the purchase date, we will repair and return vaporizers at our expense, with no charge to the customer. Between 1 year and 2 years, Vaporbrothers will charge $10. PROOF OF PURCHASE IS REQUIRED FOR UNREGISTERED OWNERS. If you don't have proof of purchase we will charge a $35 flat fee, so be sure to file your receipt in a safe place.

Registered owners:
For a period of 2 years after the purchase date, we will repair and return vaporizers at our expense, with no charge to the customer. No proof of purchase is required for registered owners.

Between 2 and 5 years after purchase, Vaporbrothers will charge a $35 flat fee for all Registered and Unregistered owners. The flat fee covers repair, replacement parts, automatic upgrades, and return shipping.

For vaporizers with serial number below 27440 or more than 5 years from purchase date:
We will offer to upgrade or replace your unit for a discount price. Please contact us through our address or website to inquire about this offer.
Repaired vaporizers are warranted against failure with no charge for an additional 6 months beyond their original warranty period."
http://www.vaporbrothers.com/repair/index.html

max,

VapeSpace

Hey wowthisisrandom, thanks for sharing that. There's some interesting info in there.

Max, do you know what happens after the 3 year warranty is up on a SS? Can they be repaired or do you have to purchase a new unit? If that's the case VB does have an edge, IMO, as they will repair the unit up to 5 years for $35. In the link provided, after 5 years they will allow a trade in for the old unit and sell you a new unit at a reduced price.

I couldn't find anything on the SS site as to what happens after the 3 year period. Are you SOL?

VapeSpace,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
After three years you will have to pay for any parts that are required for the repair, but 7th floor says that labor is free.

aesthyrian,

VapeSpace

Looking a bit further into the comparisons of the two. I would give VB the edge with the over 5 year trade for a Natural Hands Free priced at $138 compared with paying up front a $100 for a 10 year warranty or a $150 for a lifetime.

But to each his own. I think VB offers a pretty good deal. And I've been satisfied with mine for almost 5 years or so.

VapeSpace,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Both companies are very easy to deal with regarding service. My SSV was sent in for repair; it's almost four years old and I didn't have any documentation that I could find.
I had to pay two way shipping and a nominal repair charge - I think in the neighborhood of $25 - it was not a big deal and the turnaround was fast.
My VB was bought used and the repair was about $30 and they covered the return shipping.
Very reasonable and reliable across the board.

**EDIT**

while we're on the subject, my VaporBox has also enjoyed excellent repair service and I don't recall paying any charge except one way shipping to them. pretty sure you get a lifetime warranty on the unit. I bought my VaporBox used from an ad on FC and a few of my friends that hang here like it the best in terms of "hitting like a motherfucka."
A good less expensive alternative to all of the above with their own "easy screen change" two piece wand.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
"If anybody can figure out an easy way to angle the heater down without making the box fall over or overheat, we want to know."

How about a rubberized 3/4" wood platform built into the back end of the unit? All this does is eliminate the need to raise the back end up, the rubberized base provides stability,
seems simple enough. No need to redesign the heater apparatus, etc. Don't see how this would affect ventilation or even cost. What do you think?

jeffp,

VapeSpace

jeffp said:
"If anybody can figure out an easy way to angle the heater down without making the box fall over or overheat, we want to know."

How about a rubberized 3/4" wood platform built into the back end of the unit? All this does is eliminate the need to raise the back end up, the rubberized base provides stability,
seems simple enough. No need to redesign the heater apparatus, etc. Don't see how this would affect ventilation or even cost. What do you think?

I think the key thing here is "making the box overheat". I'm no engineer but I've always assumed the heat element is angled to allow the heat to escape out of the box without warping the top and, more importantly, damaging the electronics inside the box.

VapeSpace,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
VapeSpace said:
jeffp said:

I think the key thing here is "making the box overheat". I'm no engineer but I've always assumed the heat element is angled to allow the heat to escape out of the box without warping the top and, more importantly, damaging the electronics inside the box.

Right, but if the back end is propped up a little the heater is aimed more directly square center out rather than toward the top end of the box.

jeffp,

nao12000

W9 Tech Rep
Company Rep
VapeSpace said:
Looking a bit further into the comparisons of the two. I would give VB the edge with the over 5 year trade for a Natural Hands Free priced at $138 compared with paying up front a $100 for a 10 year warranty or a $150 for a lifetime.

But to each his own. I think VB offers a pretty good deal. And I've been satisfied with mine for almost 5 years or so.

i think they offer a great deal! when I first got mine I had a friend over and he blew the air into the heating element with the hydrator kit attached needless to say we had water driping out the bottom and sizzle no more heat !! i called them up and returned it no questions asked:) About a month later at another party it happened again same response from Vaporbrothers customer service.. I am very clear at all vaping sessions with my friends about sucking in and not blowing air thru!! Some say Im over protective of my unit but I didnt like the week of down time I had each time..

I have yet to take the dive into the ez change kit but I think its coming since Im not so handy with the pick for changing screens. I just soak the whole whip now..

nao12000,

cbonan

What if, directly at the end of the heater cover, The heater and cover curved and angled down slightly. The heat flow would be the same, as nothing would change except for the end of the heater, and also it would not be an expensive transition for vaporbros, because they dont have to redesign the main part of the unit.

cbonan,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
As far as durability of glass, I've been throwing my wand around for over 2 years until last weekend, when my unit was on the floor of my room in the dark, I walked into it and kicked the whip off the element. The joint of the whip shattered, but the element was left unaffected, and I am lucky enough to have a backup whip.

I just corresponded with vaporbrothers and asked them a bunch of questions, they were SO friendly like always and said they circulated my email around their office after hearing what I had to say, they also offered to send me a t-shirt and stickers. They are ridiculously nice its just unexplainable, their customer service is top notch.

Anyway, I asked them if I could post their response on this forum and im awaiting a reply, but their overall communications have rekindled my love for them as a respectable company, as one of the first widely available vaporizers on the market.

Thats all :)

PhishCactus,

reloader

I am still using the same wand from 2003 and their old unit. I think I have posted this before, but I bought a used (newer model) off Ebay. It stopped working after a month, I sent it to Vapor Brothers with my reciept of purchase and they allowed me to register it in my name and fixed the unit for free. I was very pleased. That was about a year ago and I use it everyday.

reloader,

VapeSpace

I've been waiting like what seemed forever for Vaporbrothers to finally start shipping their hands free whip tips for the ez change whip. Finally they have them back in stock at VaporWarehouse and the nice thing is they are having a big Vaporbrothers Holiday Sale. I ended up buying some other spare parts to get the sale price. So for those fellow VB fans, now is the time to grab that extra whip or whatnot. And it seems like everything is finally back in stock.

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/ez_change_whip_tip_hf.html

VapeSpace,
Top Bottom