Vaporbrothers Dabbler & Eleven Pen

OF

Thanks for your response, we obviously disagree some here. That's not uncommon of course, but we've each stated our opinion. I see lots of stretching of terms to avoid 'hot button' issues (like dancing around what's glass and what's fibers), the bottom line is I still think we have silica glass fibers. They are glass and almost all glass is silica (AlO2) based, ground quartz typically. I understand wanting to avoid using the terms silica, fiber and so on but think they're valid in this case. Just my opinion, others can have theirs. The background is easy to find on the web for those who care.

Likewise, I understand the idea of temperature sensing you suggest, have used it (resistance change to determine temperature) for copper coils and the like over the years. Never seen any a working example for something like this. It's, of course, a very easy thing to test (although I don't feel inclined to buy one just to do so.....).

Once 'spin' on technical terms for marketing advantage (what I call 'hype') raises it's head it's hard to get past, at least for me. No doubt about it, 'controlled temperature' and 'silica and fiber glass free' are sales advantages.

You have a good reputation, no doubt well earned. That fits with my tendency to take folks at their word. I'm simply calling them as I see them and giving my reasons for doing so. How seriously that should be considered folks can decide for themselves. In general, it's a very good thing new products are entering the market, in that I wish you well.

Thanks again for the response. Today folks have even more information to base decisions on, or at least to consider if they choose.

OF

arrr

You rock Vito

Edit: Posted this before i read Tweeks post....Thanks much Vito i am looking forward to seeing how it works i expect it to work just like the 710m with and ego battery.

arrr,

vaporbrothers

Manufacturer
Once 'spin' on technical terms for marketing advantage (what I call 'hype') raises it's head it's hard to get past, at least for me.

Oh ok this really helps explains it to me. I see.. that hype isn't just marketers grabbing attention. It can be the spin that companies put on technical terms. I think that spin will always be at play because it's really hard not to dance around terms that are hot button issues for people. Well, it's also to hide stuff that's real, but it also helps avoid a lot of needless struggle.

When something is insignificant but sounds bad and blows up: People are smart but often they don't have the time to learn perspective. For example, back when our vape's 30 Watt heater was made of metal, people were afraid of metal ions. There were a few ions coming out- not quite detectable, but they are there. The same people fire up their 1500W space heater, 3000W stove, and breathe the smell of metal year in year out. It was really hard to train people that huge difference within a sentence or two. that YES a metal heating element vaporizer exposes you to ions, and NO, you don't need to worry about a tiny heater while you gorge on ions all day. A lifetime of sucking on your vaporizer might very well be safer than spending a day in the same room as your space heater. Depends on the vaporizer though... we see horrible things going on in the vaporizers we take apart, but that should be in another thread.

Once we moved from metal to porcelainite (the mineral in our heater) the question became about silica... we did a load of testing and found nothing to worry about, even if you took a vapor hit that lasted the rest of your life. Keep in mind, the dust from the outdoors is swirling around your feet... Silica is 80% of the earth's crust... short of wearing a dust mask every day you might close the window and breathe the laser printer instead. Now, back to Dabbler-- The thought of inhaling the glass fibers makes me sick, but through Vape-Pen's study they can't be broken free and lifted into the airstream. They're stuck in place by ultra high temp silicone and eventually - permanently - by your oil.

We just learned last night that the idea got out while Dabbler's heater was being developed a year ago and we should expect to see a lot of copies- although nobody but the Vape-Pen guy knows how to set them and test them properly.

Btw, Dabbler's battery is kick ass the best Lithium Polymer available and we can't tell if any other pen company has wanted to pay for that much capacity. Also, the onboard charger and the microchip I described above extend the life and keeps it at the best temperature for dabbing.

vaporbrothers

Manufacturer
Hello All, update & announcement:

Dabbler's heaters should last longer than usual but they still burn out from time to time, and you need to have backups available. You can wreck your first one if you're not careful. Consider them an expendable item. It's also good to keep a clean one around for traveling. Only problem right now is that we ran out of spare parts before we were able to price them and put up on the website. Waiting for more- heaters and also replacement batteries, mouthpieces, cases, etc. I really love that this whole unit including USB charger fits in the case in your pocket. I'll let you know as SOON as they are available. We're a little embarrassed about running out of the spares so if you bug us about it, we might give you special discounts (no promises!) :)

arrr

Do you know how long it has been out? We've been on the phone all day about this and it seems the factory shared the design at some point in 2012. The 710 before this had a metal funnel and a tube of plastic surrounding the heater.

I would say i used a 710M about 6 months ago, it was a friend of mines. Also his original atomizer is still working after about 6 months of use, which is good news. Do you have any idea how much your atomizer/carts are going to cost?

arrr,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Got my Dabbler-
DSC02369.jpg

Upon close inspection of the coils, I saw and touched what were called glass rods.

DSC02376.jpg

They were very fine hairlike fibers, soft to the touch, and some were not joined, but rather dangled here and there… not an issue.. I already knew oils would hold them in place.
DSC02396.jpg

I did not really expect too much from this tool, because I make e-cig like devices, and have used a variety of atomizers and elements/coils to "sizzle my stuff".
I loaded the nice little glass spatula that came along with my Dabbler with a slice of wax about half the size of a paper match head.
DSC02383.jpg

Following instructions, I carefully laid it onto that coil… with a tiny "assist' from the heat button when things got difficult.
The taste of the hit was very clean.. and was distinctly free of the slight metallic taste I am used to in many atomizers… and also this element was not primed in any way as are many out there…. this one was dry. The flavor was free of glycerin additives as well.
I got a great hit!
Then I got another, then a third weaker one…..
Dabbler.. it is for dabs. Not a large atomizer that can be filled, the Dabbler takes a bead of wax (drop of oil). You get 3-4 hits, and must reload. (3-4 hits can be enough to medicate personally, and this is a device packed to get on the road…)
I did find a secret- After the hits run low, you can turn the unit completely upside down, and get one more big blast, as the dripped oils inside get a chance to fall back onto the coil and its enclosed "wicking material/silica strands/glass rods".
I questioned why they made this so that it could be loaded with more wax or oil like some of the other pens out there.
It is a bit inconvenient to have to reload the coils every few hits, but the thickness of the hit did make the refill worthwhile.
What this is is a portable Dab device, good and hot...and it works very effectively as that.
DSC02395.jpg

coil after 1st Dab
DSC02402.jpg

coil after 8 Dabs

The actual coils are not cleanable, so I can see I will be wanting a couple extras. In spite of the darkening, flavor has not degraded yet.
The device does give a good heavy hit.

The Video~

Last edited:

Vapor2

Was at Vito's yesterday and tried this, one awesome dab, as long as the oil/wax is of passable quality, this is an awesome little dab tool, like the old timer one hitter! preloaded it can be carried easily in any pocket, quickly used and stashed in minutes.

Am going to get one of these!!!

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
I think the small quantity issue may hold me back. I'm wanting a shareable e-dabber.

deadheadbill,

Vitolo

Vaporist
A followup comment.
After time the wick does get so saturated that after a dab, I was able to
get more hits than the expected 3-4.
I am getting a second coil so I may test further, and be more cautious to maintain a level of quality for the purpose of determining longevity of the coil.
I think that even though more hits became "do-able" after 3 hits, clean dab should be added at this point.
I believe that this will keep the coil cleaner, and that vaping the residues still stuck in the wick for too many hits might thicken them and hamper further.
I kind of wish that the tool came with a spare coil.. but I understand this might not be cost effective.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
this is an awesome little dab tool, like the old timer one hitter! preloaded it can be carried easily in any pocket, quickly used and stashed in minutes.

Back when I combusted, my one hitter/dugout was my go to for smoking up until I switched to vaping. So,for me, that's cool to hear you use that reference. Everybody blazing out at Vito's place, is even cooler though:)!

Silver420Surfer,

Doctor Vapor

Herb Doctor
Thanks for the unbiased review, Vitolo. Great photography and video!

I wonder how stale the oil gets in one of those pens that holds a large amount. My philosophy has always been that the fresh hits are better. Call me a fanatic but I like to clean the bowl when I smoke and also clean the vaporizer when I vape. Never been a fan of crusted on crud in the apparatus.

VapeSpace

Thank you Vitolo for the very thorough review. Hopefully you'll post some follow ups as I'm going to hold off until you've spent more time with it.

VapeSpace,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have "put in" for a spare coil as it becomes available.
My hits still tasting very fresh, I will when the new coil arrives begin tests with ways to possibly refresh a "caked coil".. although the flavor has not suffered any yet, the coils appearance is a bit darker.
I have a few wonderful cleaning theories (since the entire coil unit will not be immersed I will refer to these theories as "coil refreshing theories")
You guys will be "in the loop"!
*I will say this......
I have become less intimidated by the device, and now confidently grab a bead of putty, roll it up, and stick it in place by hand... smiling at myself for how "formally" I placed the wax during first tests!

Vitolo

Vaporist
One use
DSC02396.jpg

after 8 uses
DSC02402.jpg

After a solid week of 10 uses per day
DSC02429.jpg

8th day---->
DSC02426.jpg

NOW--->
On occasion I will dip into the sides (very small area an the sides and under the coil) with a toothpick, and grab up some of what has gathered… rather than use my "upside down" trick all of the time, in the interest of flavor and purity.
I find the wax that stays on the walls is very clean, and I re-dab it onto the coils.
The occasional tiny amount of …. very darkest thick oil from the bottom of this tiny area, I wipe into a small dish I keep … made as a gift from FC member and friend charliedontsurf.
My discovery so far about keeping the Dabbler's coil fresh is to not over burn your dabs…
A fresh dab can be run over the heated coil, without totally consuming it.
Until I get another coil to experiment with, this is my cleaning technique:
To clean the coils up a bit, run a fresh dab over the coil a few times, and get the one delicious hit, and then, use the toothpick to gather the runoff and store in charliedontsurf's dish. (you still get to use that gathered oil)
DSC02436.jpg

I then decide with these tiny remnants whether to re vape them in the Dabbler or another use.
The Dabblers flavor has not yet degraded at all.
After a square 8 days of use, there has been no oil mess, and the only droplets that have formed, or gathered are up top near the mouthpiece hole, and as you can see the oils are not near the orifice, and appear to be easily "gather-able".
DSC02435.jpg

The thing is solid.
I am not afraid to let a friend try it, and I do not feel the need to "hover" as I do with some other tools. I feel confident they wont burn it out or hurt it.

vaporbrothers

Manufacturer

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am still "Dabbling" with my original coil, and I am here to say the flavor is still good.
NOW....
I am waiting with baited breath... hoping to have a spare coil before long.
This first one is crying out for experimentation.. (still works fine though)
I have a new concept concerning how to potentially refresh the dabbler coil.. involving sitting the coil section down... coil to the ground...
onto a glass dish that has on it ONE DROP of 91-99% Iso.
the drop will be smaller than the coil's ceramic housing section... and will only touch the coils.
there will be 3 clean drops of Iso.
keeping orientation always downward the coils will absorb a drop, then be lightly touched still in downward orientation to paper towel.
It is my contention that 3 of these Iso dips and "blots" will refresh my coils!
*NOTE-one must allow air drying thoroughly to avoid "frying" your freshly alcohol laden coil.

vaporbrothers

Manufacturer
involving sitting the coil section down... coil to the ground...
onto a glass dish that has on it ONE DROP of 91-99% Iso.
the drop will be smaller than the coil's ceramic housing section... and will only touch the coils.
there will be 3 clean drops of Iso.

Found out we can soak the heater if it's strong alcohol like that. Dabbler's engineer said it's the water in alcohol that damages the heater. He said we can use 95% or better isopropyl alcohol. I got him to say OK to our using 91% as well, because it is the strongest that's readily available at drugstores.

NYC5IKH5jabi

I debating whether to get this one. Vito would you say this gives twice as much vapor as a omicron? Because from your video that's how it seems

NYC5IKH5jabi,
Top Bottom