Vapor vs. Combustion?

olivianewtonjohn

I have been using a SSV and enano, both can combust. I was going to ask how you guys can distinguish between vapor and combustion. What I mean by this is sometimes I wonder if im getting alittle combustion when at higher temps, vapor is so milky but when I check there are no ashes.

olivianewtonjohn,

Beluga

Only you can prevent ganja fires.
If there's no ashes you're probably fine. When the bud gets black that usually means it's creating ash and combusting. I can always taste it too.

Also, when it starts to get really dark brown/black your AVB becomes less potent (in case that matters you to).

olivianewtonjohn

If there's no ashes you're probably fine. When the bud gets black that usually means it's creating ash and combusting. I can always taste it too.

Also, when it starts to get really dark brown/black your AVB becomes less potent (in case that matters you to).
For me, the taste is very distinct when combustion happens.

Thats the thing combustion has a distinct overbearing taste but sometimes I notice only a hint of that taste. So it looks milky and has a hint of combustion flavor yet ABV has no ashes.

olivianewtonjohn,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I personally stay away from going that high to the point on the edge of combustion with my nano (6.5 is my preferred spot on the dial, though sometimes I go up to 7.2 when friends are around to cloud chase)

With my Lotus vaporizer - Combustion is EXTREMELY easy. Usually it starts with a fresh load and the desire to cache it in a single hit. So I start hitting the lotus, the vapor density builds, and builds, and builds...... then as soon as I get CLOSE to combustion, the vapor density seems to rapidly increase in vapor density. Many times that rapid increase in vapor density was an indication that combustion was *About* to happen. Though in the beginning it was hard to control the heat and I would usually end up combusting! :puke:

Of course the Lotus is a completely different beast, I can start a cold Lotus and finish the load at high temps in under 20 seconds. It's a impossible to increase the adjust temperature that fast on the Nano!

Once you've combusted, the taste is hideous. I've become quite sensitive to the smell/taste of burnt cannabis now. I can't even stand to go near my old combustion bubbler (I've done many PBW rinses and it still has an odor). Usually after I accidentally combust, I need to swap stems, and wash/clean my glass and grab a clean bubbler from storage.

Tom Funk

If you are asking the question, you haven't combusted. When you do, you'll KNOW it. It's a night and day difference. I had this experience on my first vape, the Thermovape T1. Had a few experiences of burnt taste (as in burning the toast or the saucepan) and thought I might have combusted. Than I did combust and I knew that instant that what I had before was not combustion.

FWIW, I think it's best to stay well back from that burnt smokey taste. The only things in the herb that have boiling points that high (and remember that hitting boiling point is not essential for vaporization) are a couple of sedative turpenes.

lwien

Black does not indicate combustion. Ash does, but as others have said, the taste of combustion versus vaporization is not subtle. For me, it's like.........................blechhhhh.....:puke:

But then, I haven't combusted for a very long time. If I was still smoking cigs or just making the transition from smoking to vaping, I may not be able to distinguish the difference in taste quite as well.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
At first you are getting a mixture of vapor and smoke before full combustion sets in. Sometimes in my Lotus I combust and I can always tell by the taste just before it happens. But I am usually too late.

lwien

At first you are getting a mixture of vapor and smoke before full combustion sets in. Sometimes in my Lotus I combust and I can always tell by the taste just before it happens. But I am usually too late.

Yup. Has happened to me more than once with my FlashVape as well.

lwien,

Tom Funk

Hadn't considered this. I guess the load is starting to smoulder, which means there will be a component of real smoke mixed in with the vapor.

I got this with the Lotus sometimes too , although for me I found if I hit it hot and didn't draw for a couple of seconds after cutting the flame, I would lift the cap to stir and find a few little chunks of herb smouldering away. Have fully combusted a few times too.

Interestingly, I find high heat vapor from the Lotus more tolerable in terms of taste than any other vape I've used.

Tom Funk,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Interestingly, I find high heat vapor from the Lotus more tolerable in terms of taste than any other vape I've used.
Its the convection versus conduction factor. Convection tastes better and is less likely to give you the heavier amount of smokey vapor you'd be used to with conduction. I really like conduction in the Hammer as I can get to to extremely high temps and not actually combust, it hits like the Vapolution.

I also agree that ash is the sign of combustion, not black herb.

max

Out to lunch
max,
Reactions: steama

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Using the Lotus I'm almost always going through water, so I usually get to SEE when combustion has begun before much gets to my lungs. The vapor turns a yellowish color and gets noticeably thicker/denser abruptly, rather than ramping up. I can usually stop drawing before more than a little gets to me. I then jump up and blow the smoke into my bathroom fan, as I dislike making my home smell of smoke now that I don't. I then do a hot water rinse and change the water and CE before I continue.

It's funny to me because I've only been vaping less than a year, but I really hate the smoke now. The transition went very fast for me.

Last edited:

lwien

Regarding taste when comparing smoke to vapor, I just experience a PERFECT analogy which you may be able to relate to, especially if you live in the city..

I'm been using a Pur filter (previously a Britta) for decades now. I have not tasted pure tap water in all that time. Yeah, I use it to brush my teeth but with the toothpaste and all, never tasted the tap water in over 20 years. So last night, when really vaped, I thought, "My filter is due to be replaced in a week and I wonder how well it's still working". So I took a shot glass, filled it with tap water and took a sip. OMG. It tasted like I was drinking swimming pool water. The chlorine taste was unmistakable. Yuck......And this was compared to a filter that has been in use for almost 2 months.

The difference between filtered and tap water, to me, is just as dramatic as the difference between smoke and vapor.

There was a time when there were no water filters or vaporizers and had nothing to compare them to. How spoiled we quickly get, eh?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have been using bottled water for many years. The smell of tap water here is enough to make me a little nauseous. A lot of others don't even notice it, but I can't stand it and I certainly don't drink it unless I must.

But it still is not as obvious as the difference between vaping and combusting. When a accidentally combust with the Lotus is more like being slapped in the face if I'm not paying attention and it reaches my lungs. Seriously nasty. For chlorinated water to be as bad it would make me vomit. Instead, I can swallow chlorinated water, it is just bad. But it won't make me puke like combusting will make me cough.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Just got caught daydreaming while using the Hammer :puke: , there's no mistaking when it reaches combustion.

Definitely no wondering if I left the realm of vapor.

Tom Funk

When you rub two sticks together to start a fire you start to get smoke before you get a flame as the sticks begin to smoulder. This happens in vaporizers too. While some tiny herb particles start to smoulder you get a bit of smoke mixed in to the vapor. If the load actually bursts into flame the experience will be unmistakable. It happens suddenly and is quite a shock.

Top Bottom