Vapor visibility equation/chemistry?

Vaked420

I notice that at higher temps the vapor is not only thicker due to the presence of more cannabinoids, but it is also more chalky than like deep gray smoke, which the deep gray is more present at lower temps. I notice the same thing with combustion. When the cherry is barely lit there is very dark gray smoke, where as when someone torches a bowl it's very white chalky smoke. I'm not sure if the color change is just placebo and it's actually just thicker, but thought it was worth asking if anyone knows the chance of it being an indicator of different particles or something about the higher temp?

Also does anyone know the relation of vapor density AND temperature/humidity to vapor visibility? sometimes I'll notice my hits are super thick looking, which is usually when it's cold, but I also notice sometimes it's not that cold and it's really thick, which I assume is humidity since breath visibility works the same way. Is there a vapor threshold below which it is truly invisible that is based on temp., humidity and maybe air pressure? Curious if anyone knows more about this.

Figured I'd start a discussion and also righting my thoughts out helped me to further them as well. Thought itd be a cool discussion for all anyways. I love weed science haha

Vaked420,
Reactions: Ozyzj

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It depends a lot on the vaporizer that you are using as to when you start seeing visible vapor. Usually the higher the heat the more vapor is produced. What most important for me as if I'm getting medicated. Visible vapor is always nice to see. It depends too on your vapor path. If you are using water filtration that makes a difference.

I get nice big clouds using a j hook. A very nice addition to anybody's vaporizing arsenal. You might want to get a temp meter and do some experimenting. @OF is a treasure trove of good info. I bet he would know.

When you have a fresh bowl of cannbais for me I don't see big vapor clouds until after a few draws I usually have a 10 min session with most of my vaporizers. I turn the heat way up if I want one or two hits from my load.

I don't know anything about the chemistry part. There was some great info regarding vaporizing temperatures using various vaporizers. That info didn't specifically discuss viable vapor clouds though. The Solo was given really good reviews by the person that was doing the testing. Not sure where? I know some info was in the Solo thread.

There was a thread specifically that was dedicated to that.

Last edited:

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
my 2 cents are that vapor visibility is only partly linked to how "strong" the vapor is. I've had stuff that worked great even though the vapor was wispy. Or stuff that I thought I was accidentally combusting because of how thick the vapor was that wasn't any stronger than usual, actually one batch in particular seemed a little weak despite gorgeous looking clouds.

that's kinda on the side from your temperature / humidity questions tho...

Vaked420

my 2 cents are that vapor visibility is only partly linked to how "strong" the vapor is. I've had stuff that worked great even though the vapor was wispy. Or stuff that I thought I was accidentally combusting because of how thick the vapor was that wasn't any stronger than usual, actually one batch in particular seemed a little weak despite gorgeous looking clouds.

that's kinda on the side from your temperature / humidity questions tho...

Thanks for the response and I totally agree with what you said that thickness doesn't directly correlate to stonedness. same with harshness. I've had some harsh bud that barely got me stoned and viceaversa

Vaked420,
Top Bottom