Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
Hi,
The exploded view of the vaporizer is basically its anatomy as we wanted to show its guts, but in reallity there are only 3 pieces loose:
the diffuser which goes screwed in the cap, the cap itself, and the body which is the assembly of two components: an aluminum chamber and a wooden body.
The diffuser which is the little tiny piece with 4 holes does not need to be removed unless you want to clean it as vaporizing with standard lighters could form some soot around the diffuser; A microtorch is ideal to avoid soot IMO, also the torch should be single nozzle. The chamber is threaded outside to minimize heat transfer to the outside and therefore making an oven effect.
Also "firlterless system" means that we dont use ceramic filters, and the diffuser jet does the job. Also as the chamber is long and its diameter small, the herb are loaded in a way that works as a filter itself.( tool included for easy removal too). Lithe is simple, and efficient.
charliedontsurf said:
Lithe, what kind of wood is the "light brown" lithe that's on sale made out of?
the light brown that was on sale is called Guayacan.

Lithe_vapes,

Stone__Man

so the chamber is an aluminum tube, smooth inside and threaded outside?, how long is it? I'm trying to get an idea of the space the herb has in the' bowl part, is it say 5/8 inch wide by 5/8 inch deep? this is why I ask about a video as I can't see it in my mind.

the chamber do the threads actually thread into the wood or a metal sleeve? or just slide it easily down into the wood, as its there to lessen the surface area?

is there a lip inside that the screen rests on and then the chamber sits on it?
stainless steel screen or brass?

and as far as cleaning how far does it need to be broken down? and what to use.

this is interesting to consider this vape to purchase, hope to see more user feedback too.

Stone__Man,
Lithe_vapes said:
the light brown that was on sale is called Guayacan.

Wow, that was an interesting wiki read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae I thought you were going to say something boring like "maple," but instead I find out that it's made out of one of the hardest woods known to man. Apparently its a tough mother and the traditional choice of British truncheon wood. It's also called Palo Santo, the wood of which I've actually tasted, as Dogfishhead makes a big brown ale aged in Palo Santo barrels by the same name.

Edit: not barreled, vatted! From the Dogfish site: "At 10,000 gallons, our Palo tank is the largest wooden brewing vessel built in America since before Prohibition (and we have two same-sized oak tanks right next to it)."

I can't wait for my Lithe, and am only more excited for knowing about the uniqueness of its wood. I'm kind of a wood nerd and really like learning about this stuff.

charliedontsurf,

Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
Hi Stone__man,
the chamber is all aluminum and fixed in place which can not be removed.
The lenght of the chamber is aprox 1 -3/8 in and aprox 3/8 diameter which has proven to be a good volume for personal use.
The mesh is stainles steel which is great, and in respect to the cleaning, the provided steel tool is handy and long enough to reach all the way through.Also If want to use alcohol please remember to let the wood dry very well in order avoid inhaling alcohol as woods have pores that absorb humidity, but since Lithe does not have inner cavities or corners , it is very simple to clean.
it also is a good idea that after cleaning the vape you gave it an empty warm up by pumping with the mouth without inhling to release all humidity.

charliedontsurf said:
I thought you were going to say something boring like "maple,.
:D jeje great you like it, we only use hardwoods which are very strong and ideal because they withstand thermal stress very well ( 300- to 400F).
Also our selection of woods varies frequently and some woods may not be available for a few months! (purple heart wood for example).

Lithe_vapes,

hogleg

my lithe arrived yesterday and ive been using it quite a bit. I kinda knew what to expect but I am still let down a bit . the heat required to get this thing going is scary if a person were on the go they would have something in their pocket that could burn the shit out of them. the storage bag is upsidedown the hot end should go in first. there is a weird taste as well maybe from heating up aluminum. and the wood is cracking

hogleg,

Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
Lithe is small vape, it does the purpose and looks nice.
but of course it gets hot since vaping requires alot of heat.
Vaporizing in a lithe is similar to holding a cigarrete but without smoke ( u never touch the tip), and therefore attention should be taken to no get minor burns. Also, to cool it fast, a half full glass of water would to the job by just dipping the aluminum cap for short times.
Not all vapes are perfect, and one has to sacrifice some things in terms of design to fit some purpose; lithe is meant to be invisible in your pocket.
About the taste,
The balsam wood we were selling is very aromatic. I usually comment not to worry about the taste as it dissapears during the first uses.
The cracking was a defect, but I replace those units promply, I just want to make u happy :D

Lithe_vapes,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I have a small idea/suggestion.

A case/holder for the Lithe - but with a special hole/section where the hot bowl can go after use.

So when you are done you can put your lithe in there, and not worry about the heat scalding you.

Maybe a simple cigar tube can work, but it might need some insulation or some material to absord the heat of the bowl.

You cna then carry your Lithe around without worry of smell and heat!

:2c:

sessnet,

Stone__Man

interesting, the heat and dealing with it. I seen in a DIY thread this orange high temp (silicon foam i think), it was used to hold a soldering iron, that could work perfectly to form a cup to secure over the metal end. It could be pushed down into a cigar tube. ...

or, even vapor lithe could start making a wooden cup to cover metal, with shock cord attached to either side of cup. on the other end a small wood plug. set hot tip in wooden cup , pull the wooden plug to the mouthpiece end and insert the wood pin into mouth piece. should hold it really well from the tension put on the cordage and not too bulky...

think thank thunk ;)

Stone__Man,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I place my Lithe metal first in the sheathe (after its hot) it comes with.
I have been meaning to post these pictures just been occupied.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

The Lithe wood in my opinion looks better than my VGs and MFLB. I love walnut, but the Lithe just looks better.

paytonpenn,

hogleg

this thing definitely does not hold up to the vg as far as performance and ease of use. slipping it in a bong is works well it seals nicely in a 14mm GonG

hogleg,
Stone__Man said:
anyone else have one? thoughts to share?

Both Wattyler and FLskwat have excellent reviews up earlier in the thread, and my feelings about my new Lithe so far seem to align with their thoughts. I will post a full review in a few days but again, they know what they're talking about. So far I'm liking it far more with a jet lighter than with a candle flame, and also enjoying it with water more than as a native unit.

charliedontsurf,

Stone__Man

I see that's the thing I have no erm .... lol water craft :p

I'm REALLY liking the VM right now but I like this Lithe one as well, and the supreme and the vapbong( of the glass ones I've seen it seems the best). those are the ones that have caught my eye at this point in the "flame" world.

and now that I look at your siggy charlie it seems you've a whole corral full of horses. lol

what are your fav portables gas driven (no battery) ? if you don't mind my asking. after all its hard to consider options I have when I have not the knowledge of them all.

Stone__Man,
Stone__Man said:
I'm REALLY liking the VM right now but I like this Lithe one as well, and the supreme and the vapbong( of the glass ones I've seen it seems the best). those are the ones that have caught my eye at this point in the "flame" world.

what are your fav portables gas driven (no battery) ? if you don't mind my asking. after all its hard to consider options I have when I have not the knowledge of them all.

No offense to its creators, but to my understanding the Vapbong is mostly conduction based and pretty stone age, as well as being quite expensive for what it is. You might want to reconsider. Again I could be wrong but in my mind the 12 dollar ubie is a more advanced design, being 100% convection based if used properly.

Well, I don't really have a favorite necessarily, because no design I've tried is head and shoulders above the rest. I also like to differentiate between portable vapes and truly mobile vapes. The Supreme is portable yes, but it needs a large torch and you're not going to be putting it in your pocket between hits and it's hardly a mobile vape. The glass vapobowl/Vapocane/Vaporstar types are portable but you need to carry a pipe to use it with and tweezers to handle the hot cap, again not too easy to tote around all day. The vaporlithe is extremely portable but the cap can get quite, quite hot. You can put it in the goatskin sheath while hot cap-first as people have discussed and there doesn't seem to be an issue however. Many of the vaporgenie designs (Coil, glass bat probably, classic if you have big pockets) get less hot and have more visible flame-entry points than the lithe but aren't necessarily as aesthetically pleasing or compact, but most are very mobile. The vapman will be an interesting new entry to the stable for sure... I'd still like to buy a metal vapobowl and find a nice, simple little pipe to use with it, but haven't found the MVB at a decent price shipped to the states. I'd also like a direct-draw, portable design which can use a candle flame without tasting of butane, but I think that's a fantasy.

I tend to use electric portables like the MFLB and Solo while mobile and on the go, and then end up using torch-powered, "connoisseur" type vapes like the Vapocane and Gnome while at home. Wind makes lighter powered vapes a pain outdoors, and very necessary things like precise flame placement are hard to do while occupied with other tasks as we often are when out and about. The MFLB can be used one handed at a moment's notice with no heat up time necessary and almost no attention poured into the task, something none of the lighter based vapes can do. It feels reasonable to me to take a quick MFLB draw while waiting at a crowded outdoor train terminal - I wouldn't do that with any flame powered vape. An Omicron/Revolution type oil portable can also boast this sort of instant-on, effortless delivery.

charliedontsurf,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
charliedontsurf said:
No offense to its creators, but to my understanding the Vapbong is mostly conduction based and pretty stone age, as well as being quite expensive for what it is. You might want to reconsider. Again I could be wrong but in my mind the 12 dollar ubie is a more advanced design, being 100% convection based if used properly.
I'm not so sure you're being totally fair to the Vapbong there CDS. Whilst I can't disagree that it's overpriced (I've had to replace broken components before and it really hurts having to pay those prices for the oh-so-basic individual parts), but there's a bit more thought gone into the design than that- IMO it stands above the Ubie (although I haven't tried the ubie). It's not really conduction at all as the herb is held in mid air, surrounded by hot air encased in the hot outer glass (convection+ a little radiation?). There's also some thought gone into the little silicone piece that works as a carburettor cooler. Anyway the result can be quite tasty and I used to use this vape quite a lot for hash. The bowl is too small to be really effective with flowers, unless you're a real light user, although it does provide for a tasty single hit and a not so tasty second. I'm not using it as much nowadays as I've been turning my hash into BHO and dabbing it! But it's not a bad vape, just not perfect and somewhat expensive

I fully support your vape testing mission CDS- your ownership of models must be amongst the broadest of the FC membership. I'd be happy to fire it across to you for a test drive, if you'll send it back after. It's all ISO cleanable, except for the screens. Just let me know.

Anyhoo, end of my derail of the Lithe thread lol I'm still using mine from time to time, and by virtue of it's sleek size and conceal-ability it's become my emergency in car portable for in case of snow storms/ road closures.

WatTyler,

hogleg

Got my replacement today it is the tigerish model and it is beautiful I really like the way lithes are finished. They told me to keep the cracked one so I gave it to a friend who is a chronic combuster he was having pretty good luck with it right away. So all in all the lithe works, it vaporizes well and is pretty damn hard to combust even with a torch. I think that a larger lithe could work very well also it would be a little easier to load and this thing is so compact a bigger one would still be stealthy.

hogleg,

Stone__Man

hogleg said:
Got my replacement today it is the tigerish model and it is beautiful I really like the way lithes are finished. They told me to keep the cracked one so I gave it to a friend who is a chronic combuster he was having pretty good luck with it right away. So all in all the lithe works, it vaporizes well and is pretty damn hard to combust even with a torch. I think that a larger lithe could work very well also it would be a little easier to load and this thing is so compact a bigger one would still be stealthy.

where was this "crack" and how long was it? was it cracked on arrival or u notice it later? guessing it would have been on the fat end following the open grain. * note to self have another gander at all the photos, see how thick/thin the wood is at that open end.

I think I recall something about a bit larger version to come out?? guessing that side wall on the business end was made fatter too, as well as the overall length.

I think it'd be cool to have an innerface like a tobacco pipe has, a bowl end and a stem end. would make it even easier to carry, basically two halves of equal length. hum curious that to ponder. you want to carry it whole do so, if u want to carry it to fit smaller space carry in two parts. lol just thinking aloud. :p

I'm curious actually about the 'finish', what do u mean? just that you like it? as in just the way it looks or as in you have been told by Mr. lithe how he finishes them?

wondering about the finish and if there is any 'finish' inside at all?

my guess is they are sanded to at least 150-200 grit, and simply given a coat of 'clear' that is a semi gloss clear. with the color's all being natural, the clear brings out grain. its very much like simply wetting wood, or even a rock, get them wet they appear darker and in more detail. when u stain wood you have to do finer sanding then if u just put a clear on it, the stain gets into any imperfections on the wood surface, that is why when oak is stained its open grains really get darker as they suck up the stain. just clear you can get away with less sanding, as sander swirl marks and such don't jump out at you lol .

I wonder how many coats of clear they get as well?

do u sell any without a clear coat? I think I would like one unfinished at all, with just a minimum of sanding if sanded at all. if so at what savings to me?

Stone__Man,
WatTyler said:
I'm not so sure you're being totally fair to the Vapbong there CDS.
I fully support your vape testing mission CDS- your ownership of models must be amongst the broadest of the FC membership. I'd be happy to fire it across to you for a test drive, if you'll send it back after. It's all ISO cleanable, except for the screens. Just let me know.

Anyhoo, end of my derail of the Lithe thread lol I'm still using mine from time to time, and by virtue of it's sleek size and conceal-ability it's become my emergency in car portable for in case of snow storms/ road closures.

Points well taken Wat, I always appreciate your thoughtful posts; I didn't realize the Vapbongdesign when I posted and now understand it - it is primarily convection and I was entirely wrong! I appreciate your offer and will ponder it, I could send you a clean ubie in return if you want to try one of them - they do work on different basis and the Ubie involves inhaling combusted butane, so if anything would be less pure.

Back to the Lithe, I feel I can give it a rating in the 7.5 to 8.0 area at this price point. Its greatest strengths are its aesthetic beauty and tiny form factor combined with the convenient goatskin sheathe. Its weakness in my mind is how difficult and unpleasant it can be to use with a bic lighter, to the point where I have basically abandoned the bic - I always seem to taste butane, and good vaporization can be hard to achieve. Also, when I used a bic, I noticed tons of soot on the underside of the cap when I removed it. I only use a jet lighter with it, which is less convenient in some ways and draws more attention than a candle lighter. The Lithe has a nice, deep bowl, ideal for a portable, and you can get nicely vaporized load with proper technique and the "tap and mix" type stirring method either Wat or FLskwat talked about in their review. I've found that combustion is definitely possible if you take things too far, so this is not necessarily an ideal vape to share with the uninitiated, although it would be good for concentrates. The built-in screen is a very loosh mesh to ease maintenance, I elected to add an extra, finer screen. It is very easily joined to a 14mm joint by either O-ring or a length of DBV-type tubing, and performs well out of water with a jet lighter.

I've been using the sheathe as a way to handle the hot cap - I've managed to dull the texture of the leather there a little, but otherwise it works great. I've also been inserting the hot cap-end in first, and there are no ill effects apparent for that either. The sheathe is a great addition to the vape but for some reason I wish the leather was a little firmer and less flexible. But yeah, it's a great and classy touch to include the sheathe+poker setup.

There is no need to take that first inhale just to heat up the cap. Just blast the Lithe cap carefully with your lighter for 5 or 10 seconds, similar to what I do with the Vapobowl cap. Make sure the heat deflects away from the wood body so you don't unduly heat it.

The Lithe will definitely cut into all my MFLB usage for when I'm out and about.

charliedontsurf,

Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
Hi,
Stone_man Lithe are not fully coated but sealed with no excess (only in the outside) with a clear coat, so the wood is not spoiled with the humidity of the mouth; We also can make one without it for sure but not recommended.

As many connoisseur vaporist have commented, when vaporizing with a Bic type lighter it gives a little after taste, which is caused by soot produced on the metal flame contact.
To avoid producing soot we have discovered that by using the very top of the flame, just a few mm. above the sharp spike, can give clear vapors but some training is needed; A mirror seems to be a good tutor.

Also a torch lighter does the job very well and without soot; a torch with a 45 degrees angle like this one works for me.

Torch lighters

Lithe_vapes,

hogleg

@stoneman the crack was just as you thought with the grain at the fat end it ended up being aprox 3/4" long and another small one on the other side. I noticed the cracks after the first time I heated it up. The replacement does seem a little thicker and shows no signs of cracking. The finish is just as you assumed really high grit sanding/polishing like 400+.

hogleg,

Stone__Man

@Lithe_vapes and hogleg thanks for reply.

LV if you would like I can email you instead about getting one with no clear. just let me know in this thread and we can discuss via email. ;)

I wonder if they are heat stress tested before sending them out?

it could have been dropped to crack like that or perhaps to high moisture content in the wood stock, once worked and then heated it can cause wood to dry to fast and can crack or warp. It could be the stock itself had cracks in it and it just happened to 'fall' on the worst place, the other end could be cracked and one would never know. those are a few reasons I can think of for the crack. of course there are others unconsidered. There are natural expansions and contractions that go on in wood every day. ever have a door get stuck or rub? humidity has something to do with it.

an example: I bought some smoked plastic drinkware, over time some developed big cracks in the thick bottoms and they have zero effect, if you couldn't see them you would never know they are there. one of these developed a cracked down from the drink edge of it and its noticeable in use, its since been shit canned.

Stone__Man,

Lithe_vapes

Manufacturer
Hi there Stone__man,
we heat treat our woods to improve their properties. The crack maybe was caused by some mechanical stress between the parts + the thermal stress produced at the time of vaporization. All Lithe parts fit nicely considering the expansion and contraction of the materials, but since we hand-make our vapes ,a slight variation could have made the difference; We only use strong hard woods, which add extra quality and durability to the piece.
About the lithe you are interested in, we can see which type of wood you like, please send me an email.

Lithe_vapes,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Foster said:
My Vapor Lithe arrived in the mail today :)
Hey Foster ! Do did you get the concentrate attachment too ? Or is it not out yet ?

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom