Vapman

bounce5

After lurking on here for quite a while, I am now the new owner of a Walnut Classic Vapman. I ordered one through @M0J0 on Ebay. It's my first vaporizer. First impression was that it's soo cute and small. As I look at it more I'm enchanted by it's ingenuity, craft, and simplicity, aware of all the potential I've heard it has on this forum. I've heard it be called some people's favorite vaporizer, and one of the best, by well known FC members. Holding this small thing in my hand, it's hard to believe it has it in it. I believe it though, only because I've read most of this forum. It's pretty, but also a bit strange looking. It has those aspects I've heard people describe about it. Somehow old-timey, yet futuristic somehow. Steam punkish. It does kind of look like an intricate wooden oversized clue game piece or some type of small wooden sculpture. When I look in the mirror with it in my mouth, it looks like the bottom of a tiny bugle. It looks kind of wierd. Would look more normal if I was wearing a monacle at the same time. I love it though. Maybe I'm woo woo, but I think it has good karma. I think as I get to know it more, I will appreciate it even more. I will slowly unlock it's secrets. I got the plum brown stem and plum yellow stem. It looks great with both. I'd like to get the ebony one, and black plastic stem in the future, perhaps the mflb dart stem. Does anyone have a picture of what that looks like? Thanks for all the comments and tips on this forum. It's been very helpful as well as fun and interesting to read about.

subway13029

Ok so im doing good and getting nice results using the methods I have learned here but I will heat like 5-4-4 and take a nice hit then heat in a quick burst and nice hit but when I hit it with flame again it is horrible..and when I open up anything that touching the bowl is black? Should I not keep heating after each hit? Or stir? Im working at it..:-)

Mr Mellish

I will heat the first few draws for 7-8 seconds, then take a 10 second draw. I then start ramping down to 6 seconds of heat, then 5. Can kill a bowl with dark brown ABV in 8-10 draws. I'm sure some of the folks here can kill a bowl in 3-4 draws.

If 5-4-4 is blasts of flame between hits, with a brief pause between applications, that seems like a lot.

subway13029

No I start it with 3 burst of flame then I take good hit..then I hit with flame for like 3 seconds and hit it and if I do again then it gets black..basically burnt..horrible taste..some people saying 8-10 hits of visible vapor? Or small hits? I get like 2 but they are nice hits..but once I go back for more its burnt?

subway13029,
Reactions: vapman

OF

Ok so im doing good and getting nice results using the methods I have learned here but I will heat like 5-4-4 and take a nice hit then heat in a quick burst and nice hit but when I hit it with flame again it is horrible..and when I open up anything that touching the bowl is black? Should I not keep heating after each hit? Or stir? Im working at it..:-)

If it gets too hot (and it sounds like that's what happened), don't heat it so much........

IMO you're off to a bad start if you think all you have to do is copy another guy's successful routine/timing. Even if you have the same lighter (meaning the same heat input per second), same herb, grind, cure and so on (none of which I think you can depend on).

You actually need to learn to use this. Try variations and follow what works and avoid what doesn't. In general most guys are too shy with the heat (IMO a natural thing), but you can also be too brazen with it too. Learn to control it, not just expect results because you followed instructions. Try to get modest, but consistent, production of vapor. Hit after hit. Don't chase clouds, that's sure to goof you up, that will follow.

You have to work with it, but it's really not all that hard to do, we all sorted it out.

Best wishes.

OF

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
Heating
Hold the vapman by the handle ring (see the arrows in the diagram). Touch the apex of the copper pan with the tip of the flame jet. The length of time required for the heating will depend on the size of the flame. The following can serve as a guide:
Flame approx. 10 mm/0.393" : 5-6 seconds
Flame approx. 15 mm/0.590" : 3-4 seconds.
Flame approx. 20 mm/0.787" : 2-3 seconds
pict_heizen.jpg

Attention: Do not heat the pan any longer than indicated, otherwise the herbs will burn up!

Tip: herbs will vaporize more gently and more evenly if you heat them for briefer periods but more often.

If the pan is cold, it must first be warmed up at intervals of 2 seconds so that the heat can be distributed evenly. Just try it out for yourself. When you inhale, you will quickly notice whether the ideal temperature has already been reached. Rather heat too little than too much.

If the copper pan is vastly overheated, this can result in a flaking of the gold plate. The vapman will nevertheless remain functional.

This is what I went by. Personaly I use the largest of the three flame sizes. It requires a little practice but isn't that the funnest part. :tup:

Edited to add fractional sizes

Last edited:

Don Quixote

OK, Good People of the Earth, this errant knight may have taken a zig-zag course across the parched plain, tilted at many a windmill (euphemism for "battery-operated vaporizer"), and suffered -along with his rotund companion- more than his share of misunderstandings and misadventures with inn-keepers, traveling merchants, and ladies of questionable repute; but he has finally, at last, slain the fire-breathing creature, and gained the favors of his Lady, the Incomparable Dulcinea, she whose every feature bespeaks of Nature's Beauty, commingled with those gentle graces that artful civilization so patiently bestows....

In short: I ordered the vapman! And from the maker himself (psst: whose first name I share, by the by!)

Thank you all so much, and onto the next Chapter, XXXIX: In Which Our Hero Opens a Long-Awaited Parcel, Nearly Sets His Horse on Fire, and Proceeds to Chase Clouds of Vapor into Provinces Unknown....

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
I was going over the detailed table and illustration you posted.

Man, the Swiss are serious about details and it shows in many, many, ways. :nod:
You're not kidding. I was trying out a new strain today and was having trouble getting the vapor just right. I thought it was just the way the new bud vaporized compared to what i had earlier.

So I switched back to the Girl Scout cookies to do some troubleshooting. It turned out that while I was heating the cone for my standard 4 seconds, my torch was now getting low on fuel and I hadn't noticed that the length of the jet has diminished.

So I took out my trusty heatproof micro-caliper and jeweler's loupe and found that the flame was only 0.389 inches when all along I had thought it was the manufacturer's recommended 0.393 inches.

:spliff:

Edit: some hours and uncounted Vapman bowls later......

So I guess I win at Vapman stash box Tetris tonight. Since immediately losing two concentrate screens the first day, I've been trying to find a way to perfectly consolidate and organize all of the items I need to use my Vapman. And the awesome thing is that it all fits snugly inside the stash box I bought to hold my very first pipe way too long ago.

Lighter, medical Cannabis, spare parts container, jar of alcohol for concentrate screen storage, and one Vapman egg. There's also plenty of room on top to fit a small 2 piece Space Case grinder and various concentrates or, of course, more Cannabis.

0rFkJ6q.jpg

Last edited:

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
@bounce5, OF is right, especially in that you have to find your own ritual. It will be slightly different to each person, even if using the same lighter.

I have noticed three major factors: Grind, Humidity and Flame Size.

Grind (the finer the better, but not powdery fine):

I have noticed that the grind has a huge impact in the whole process and results -- which was not obvious to me at the begining. I settled for the screen grinding method and I can get a consistent grind with this since the screen will always let the same size particles through. (See video at the end of this post).

Herb Humidity:

Another factor is wetness/stickyness of the material you are vaporizing. This can affect the heating, of course, and dryer material needs less heat vs stickier material needing more.

Flame Length:

But the most impactiing variable is the Length of your flame. Once I made mine just about 1/8 on an inch longer and started combusting like a Mo Fo... So I dialed it back down and was fine again.

Don't mess with the flame length too often. Pick a size, keep it, and play with your Heating Times. If you start messing with the flame length, you'll never get your routine down.

Another thing I recommend is to count like this: "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi... etc.

This will keep your counts standard while you get your ritual sorted out...

I will advise (opposite from OF) to be a bit shy with the heat for the first few sessions. It's better to have to keep heating again and again than to combust. Use shorter heating bursts more often, and draw and heat quickly (don't wait between draws and heating while yo're still learning), so the bowl doesn't cool down too much between hits.

Also, remember that you will need less heating time as the session progresses since the bowl retains heat.

Oh, and Don't over-fill the bowl. Leave some space for air to flow through the herb.

I think that's about all the advice I can give you.

@ChippyMalone Tha's a cool case. I'd like to see it closed as well.

Who did yo buy the screens from?

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thevapfan

vapman

Manufacturer
@vapman what size loads did you think about when you were planning the screens. This is the biggest one that i have used and the vapman handled it nicely...no residue left completely spent.

@hoyo77 The limit is where it starts to get messy, this is my personal rule. I don`t really have a particular size of load in my mind, it really depends on the kind of concentrate you are applying, I guess. I would definitely apply less wax and oil than some of the dryer stuff. Personally I like smaller portions, I am more of a taste chaser than a cloud chaser and with several loads I also get several times the taste as flavors are very fragile and vaporize at the beginning at lower temperatures. Different strokes for different folks, everyone I know uses vapman differently, this is exactly what makes using vapman a personal experience.:)

@Don Quixote The chances are not bad that you are becoming a vapmaniac (I like it), too. Like a lot of members on this thread, you seem to have a lot of ideas and fantasy, I think vapman is the ideal vaporizer for you, it will carry you to the fairyland.;)

vapman

davesmith

Glass Blower
Just to add to @M0J0 's post the temperature of where you are also seems to be one of the big factors in heat time. Also if it's windy then the heat from the flame is much lower/less directional so these also play a big part.

It's all about the 'feel' with the VM and the only way to learn it is through experience. Practice makes perfect and all that!

M0J0

Just to add to @M0J0 's post the temperature of where you are also seems to be one of the big factors in heat time. Also if it's windy then the heat from the flame is much lower/less directional so these also play a big part.

It's all about the 'feel' with the VM and the only way to learn it is through experience. Practice makes perfect and all that!
Dave, That's a good one that I missed -- Local temperature. I've never used one in any wind, but I can see how that would make it very hard to get a good temp going. I forget that many people use their Vapman outdoors... Perfect camping companion!

hoyo77

@hoyo77 The limit is where it starts to get messy, this is my personal rule. I don`t really have a particular size of load in my mind, it really depends on the kind of concentrate you are applying, I guess. I would definitely apply less wax and oil than some of the dryer stuff. Personally I like smaller portions, I am more of a taste chaser than a cloud chaser and with several loads I also get several times the taste as flavors are very fragile and vaporize at the beginning at lower temperatures. Different strokes for different folks, everyone I know uses vapman differently, this is exactly what makes using vapman a personal experience.:)

@Don Quixote The chances are not bad that you are becoming a vapmaniac (I like it), too. Like a lot of members on this thread, you seem to have a lot of ideas and fantasy, I think vapman is the ideal vaporizer for you, it will carry you to the fairyland.;)

vapman
Thx @vapman I have never been a cloud chaser myself...i am more into taste but that is one of the many things i LOVE about my vapman. I can get taste and i can chase clouds and on some occasions i can do both at the same time!!

simpleasthcis

... As a box of ....
Yeah, this little guy is pretty amazing; I find myself reaching for it over my e-nano sometimes!

Yesterday I was thinking about some kind of mount/bracket/frame to hold the lighter and vapman together in position for completely one-handed usage... am I crazy?? Has anyone tried to build such a thing before?

Here's what I do:
  1. give it a 3-4 second burst of heat (two in a row if it isn't already hot)
  2. take a short draw
  3. puff it out (and immediately back in) to check the vapor
  4. repeat steps 1-3 until the vapor is looking nice
  5. take a full draw
  6. whoa
Tmu9dgL.jpg

davesmith

Glass Blower
@simpleasthcis that's pretty damn cool!

So thought I'd share a couple of pics, I don't often but the VM deserves to be treated well...

My PGONG it's an MFLB stem, with a little silicon from my nano, inside a PNP PONG. Insta-VM-PGONG!

photo_2.jpg

and on top of some cheap glass

photo_3.jpg

and finally enjoying the lovely outdoors (south west coast of UK, the doombar, Cornwall)

photo_1.jpg

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
Well, I've had my basic walnut model for a week. I noticed today was the first day that I could give it 5 seconds of heat without creating a wisp of hardwood smoke, so I think I've finally charred inner surfaces sufficiently.

I really thought this would be my backup portable for outside the home, but I haven't used my E-Nano except for comparison purposes since. Now, I'm not saying I've lost one bit of love for the E-Nano, because the two devices are hardly comparable except for the fact that they are both top of the line heavy hitters made from carefully chosen medical grade materials.

So I guess a one week review is in order.

I'm continually amazed by the efficiency of this tiny device. What is most striking is the fact that there is almost no sticky residue left behind: not in the bowl, or the stem, and especially not in the toasted cannabis. When I'm done, the used material falls out as a compleyely dry powder, indicating that the desired volatile organic molecules have been thoroughly extracted. Even more interesting is the fact that I can achieve such nearly complete vaporization without excessively darkening the plant matter. To me, this suggests that I'm extracting everything I want and even less of possibly harmful stuff I don't. Awesome!

And the added benefit of this efficiency is the fact that I've been able to almost eliminate all the cleaning rituals necessary with other devices. Once this week, I had a salad topped with ground black tar hash that left a dry dark stain in the bowl which was quickly removed with a drop of alcohol on a q-tip. The mouthpiece doesn't need to be cleaned after a week, and I'm a heavy medical user who will put almost any sort of concentrate through it. Even the concentrate screens come out of the device looking like new if full melt hashes are vaped.

Such thorough efficient vaporization had resulted in a week of enhanced medical effect while using half as much material per day as before.

I would be curious to send samples of AVB to the lab to find out how much residual THC and CBD remain. If I buy a testing package in the future, I might have to find out.

Last edited:

hoyo77

Well, I've had my basic walnut model for a week. I noticed today was the first day that I could give it 5 seconds of heat without creating a wisp of hardwood smoke, so I think I've finally charred inner surfaces sufficiently.

I really thought this would be my backup portable for outside the home, but I haven't used my E-Nano except for comparison purposes since. Now, I'm not saying I've lost one bit of love for the E-Nano, because the two devices are hardly comparable except for the fact that they are both top of the line heavy hitters made from carefully chosen medical grade materials.

So I guess a one week review is in order.

I'm continually amazed by the efficiency of this tiny device. What is most striking is the fact that there is almost no sticky residue left behind: not in the bowl, or the stem, and especially not in the toasted cannabis. When I'm done, the used material falls out as a compleyely dry powder, indicating that the desired volatile organic molecules have been thoroughly extracted. Even more interesting is the fact that I can achieve such nearly complete vaporization without excessively darkening the plant matter. To me, this suggests that I'm extracting everything I want and even less of possibly harmful stuff I don't. Awesome!

And the added benefit of this efficiency is the fact that I've been able to almost eliminate all the cleaning rituals necessary with other devices. Once this week, I had a salad topped with ground black tar hash that left a dry dark stain in the bowl which was quickly removed with a drop of alcohol on a q-tip. Even the mouthpiece doesn't need to be cleaned after a week, and I'm a heavy medical user who will put almost any sort of concentrate through it. Even the concentrate screens come out of the device looking like new if full melt hashes are vaped.

Such thorough efficient vaporization had resulted in a week of enhanced medical effect while using half as much material per day as before.

I would be curious to send samples of AVB to the lab to find out how much residual THC and CBD remain. If I buy a testing package in the future, I might have to find out.
Nice review...very nice indeed!!! I too have a log vape, and another top notch butane vape. The vapman gets used everyday...the others may not but they do get used. I just love the vapman ritual.....dat ritual is the shit!!!

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
@M0J0 since you asked, here's my old stash box with the lid closed. The two secure side latches prevent stoned mishaps that would happen with just one latch. That's probably why it is the only piece of paraphernalia that I still have from the 80's.....

And I guess the Vapman needs to be in the photo so I can pretend this is relevant enough to post.

CorKRJ7.jpg

M0J0

@M0J0 since you asked, here's my old stash box with the lid closed. The two secure side latches prevent stoned mishaps that would happen with just one latch. That's probably why it is the only piece of paraphernalia that I still have from the 80's.....

And I guess the Vapman needs to be in the photo so I can pretend this is relevant enough to post.

CorKRJ7.jpg
Very interesting box. I like the embossing... and the Vapman looks tiny next to that huge bud!

Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom