Vapman

Thanks for taking the plunge on oiling up your Vapman, Stoneman. I'll probably do it myself. If you mix a little topical vitamin E into your olive oil it can't go rancid on you, otherwise without the antioxidant it can possibly get stinky.

I too am loving mine. I find it to be extremely efficient now, I am getting 5-8 hits off a well ground lotus scoop. The bowl is a great design and doesn't require stirring ime. There's a little wood scorching going on with the slight accompanying aroma sometimes, but I trust the burned area will stabilize as the manufacturer says, or that oil will protect the wood and keep it from happening at all.

I'm pondering plugging 2 or all 3 holes on the mouthpiece, they seem to serve no function but to dilute the vapor density. If they're plugged then you can get more vapor with a less heated bowl to my thinking, which is good for you and the bowl's gold coating.

charliedontsurf,

Stone__Man

I should have clarified I only put the oil on the OUTSIDE not on the under or inner, basically I touched the surfaces that one touches through normal handling of it.

plugging the holes, I bet a dollar to a doughnut the maker would say to not plug them. I read folks say they get bigger or better hits, which makes sense I suppose , but I think besides bringing in cooler air to the mix, I bet its also because of where the air comes from and when they are plugged it throws off the ratio of hot and cool air and perhaps would even make the bowl hotter, as your drawing more air up through the 3 bowl tubes and around the top edge of bowl. My guess is also that 3 was determined to be the best compromise between cooler hits and protecting the bowl. I could be wrong, but the longer I have and use this beauty the more I love it. Put it another way, I bet the maker figured and tested and put out a final product that would stand up and last for many years with proper use. The only thing I made note of as a change from their public release is it looks like it first used wood pegs to lock under the clip on the sides, I spy them I believe it was in the how its made vid, when u see boxes of parts.

Like I said I'm gonna buy another one from Mr Element Vapman, I'd rather see him who first had the know how to figure all the parts out and how they would intereact in relation to the other parts, I think he and it are brilliant, the golden egg I have in my hands was not hatched over night, nope it was a well planned and executed vision, that takes all things into consideration. While there are others that simply change a wee bit of someones work and r and d they did, to get their own slice of the pie, well they have to wait. I appreciate Mr Vapman and have no problem what so ever giving him my money, he has earned it.

olive oil, again another bit on that, there are kitchens the world over that will use olive oil with a bit of lemon juice. any food grade oil, vegtable, plant most any will work.

I had considered using some 100% carnuba was but was not sure if it woulld give off anything. so olive oil it is :) lol another i considered was "wok" seasoning oil. what can i say I like food :p

I seem to recall somewhere the mention of a home base electric unit in the works for the vapman. could be on to something with that, looking at it sorta like a log vape at your pad and portable torch driven unit all in one. hell if they wanted they could even make a funnel shaped aroma therapy cup like the log makers do :)

I now consider my self a "non smoker" vaping is where its at :)

Stone__Man,
Stone__Man said:
plugging the holes, I bet a dollar to a doughnut the maker would say to not plug them. I read folks say they get bigger or better hits, which makes sense I suppose , but I think besides bringing in cooler air to the mix, I bet its also because of where the air comes from and when they are plugged it throws off the ratio of hot and cool air and perhaps would even make the bowl hotter, as your drawing more air up through the 3 bowl tubes and around the top edge of bowl...

olive oil, again another bit on that, there are kitchens the world over that will use olive oil with a bit of lemon juice. any food grade oil, vegtable, plant most any will work.

At this point I undeniably get denser vapor and have shorter heat up times with one or more of the holes plugged, and many of the original posters on this thread came to the same conclusion. You need to heat the bowl less to get a good hit with the holes plugged versus not being plugged because there is less air getting in, diluting the draw. I don't really see the advantage in having them there at all, doing seemingly nothing but diluting the vapor to air ratio. They keep a complete newbie from horribly burning or blackening a load, but that is all, and I imagine it may be a compromise on the manufacturer's end to keep people from burning their loads.

Yes, any oil will "work," but EVOO plus an antioxidant will be long lasting and won't rot.

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
CDS; can I live vicariously through you for a minute? It seems that the VAS has gotten u bad! Lately, u have picked up a couple of the Vapes I have been most curious about.

How would you compare the vapman to the sv1? Would it be redundant to have both? Which is provides a quicker session? Which leaves you the most medicated afterwards? Which routine do you prefer? Which provides the best bang for your buck?

I just wanted to mention that I use a "chapmans beeswax salad bowl finish" (thats the name on the jar) on my wooden cutting board and salad bowls. Keeps the wood conditioned and is safe for consumption. Also, it won't rot!

notmyrealUSERname,

Stone__Man

charlie , you should have quoted my very next sentence too

My guess is also that 3 was determined to be the best compromise between cooler hits and protecting the bowl.

don't get me wrong I did not say better hits would not be achieved. as well as would be the case with any device , right down to rolling papers. holes in the air flow lessen draw of smoke/vapor. understood.

and as far as plugging holes, I don't plug them, I do however sometimes roll the vapman in my fingers as i hit it. (holding by just be the wood chimney). so maybe it was not just my imagination feeling like it hit harder like that. I may have to experiment more with the hole plugging, perhaps cut off tips of tooth picks , while adjusting torch bursts to less.

speaking of torch I bought the Lenk handheld at Seeerrz and that piece of crap igniter switch crapped out in TWO days. its going back for refund. so i bought a RONSON torch in zippo design at wally world for like 2.89 ( yeah I was shocked too) it has worked fine since, the lid goes on the outside of ring. Now I need to look up a good fuel that is at least triple filtered.

Stone__Man,
notmyrealUSERname said:
CDS; can I live vicariously through you for a minute? It seems that the VAS has gotten u bad! Lately, u have picked up a couple of the Vapes I have been most curious about. How would you compare the vapman to the sv1? Would it be redundant to have both? Which is provides a quicker session? Which leaves you the most medicated afterwards? Which routine do you prefer? Which provides the best bang for your buck?

Well I think the Vapman and SV are very different creatures. The Vapman is tiny and has a robust carrying case, has a much smaller bowl, and can be brought up to vaping temperature within 10 seconds using a very small jet lighter and then immediately put back in its case. The Supreme is much larger, less pocket portable, has a much larger bowl, has electronics, and takes maybe 60 seconds to get up to vaping temperature using a large, serious torch. Yes the SV is "portable" but not to the same extent the vapman is. The Vapman can actually get impressively dense vapor, even through glass in my experience, but not to the same extent of the Supreme and you'll have to change bowls all the time and you need to "sense" what temp the bowl is instead of just reading a screen. The Supreme is also a larger burn and fire hazard.

I don't know what your specific needs are, if you need a flame powered portable or not, but I'd say if you need something to hike and bike with, get the Vapman, and if you need something for the camper or tent or hotel, get the Supreme/Vapocane/Gnome. If you don't require portability and don't mind being plugged into a wall then I suggest waiting for the Cloud, or getting the VHW, which I'm currently just loving to death.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: IAmKrazy2
Here's the Vapman with a glass MFLB stem, and the MFLB with the vapman mouthpiece. Excuse the aborted attempt at cropping the image. As you can see I've plugged the three air holes with toothpicks and am enjoying the difference it makes.

tS9lq.jpg

Any of the handmade MFLB stems made by Ed and others should work in your Vapman; shorter ones will allow it to continue fitting in the egg carrying case.l

Last edited by a moderator:
charliedontsurf,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Wow. I didn't realise how small it was. I mean that is really tiny. How much does the herb chamber hold per load compared to the MFLB?

I think the fact it is so small makes it more appealing to me - I know what I'm ordering next. Also, I like your idea of swapping out the plastic mouthpiece. It seem a shame to have a nice wooden device and spoil it with a plastic attachment. I think an Ed's TnT stem would be a nice addition for the wood on wood effect.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hey, CDS.... Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what are those holes there for in the first place?

Stu,
JRR Tokin, it really is tiny, I was amazed when I unboxed it. Bowl size is really hard to convey in words, but I use a Lotus scoop to measure out loads - the Vapman takes about 1 full scoop, the MFLB or Vriptech which I've been using lately both take about 3-5. It's a small bowl but you can get 4-8 good hits out of it and high temperatures are very attainable.

Stu, IME so far the holes do nothing but dilute the vapor to air ratio and make it so you need to heat the bowl more to get similar results, perhaps to ease the learning curve. For me there seems to be no benefit to having them there. I wish there was a mouthpiece available without the needless holes because the toothpicks obviously detract from the aesthetics of the device.

I've actually tried using a tiny bit of wax in the Vapman, just droping it at the bottom of the bowl and then carefully heating it above my head. It worked pretty great! There might be long term issues of oil running into the very narrow airholes and needing to be cleared out, or of the gold coating flaking from overheating (doubtful I think with the 3 holes plugged), but oil is possible.

charliedontsurf,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
As a simple fix for the air holes just use a bit of bees wax - that is if that area doesn't get hot? Or even a small wide elastic band like the MFLB one should do the trick.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Stone__Man

someone spoke of mouthpiece and ruining a good thing with plastic. well there are 3 different wood mouthpiece from vapman. Hawthorne, Boxwood and Ebony, besides the black and white plastic.

tiny, yep that is the first thing that got me how darn small it is. pics make stuff seem big, I actually thought this vapman was the size of a log vape lol . actually holding one in your hand you see just how small it is, and how exacting its design and construction is. I personally couldn't imagine dealing with working those tiny air intake/bow supports.

One thing I am finding I really like about it is, vape it all, one hit , two hits, whatever. For a spell as i getting the 'feel' of it, I was smoking the whole bowl. Lately a hit or two here and there. I like that about it.

now I need to find the best way to extract what may be left behind in my ABV, seen an old 2008 "how to" on another herb forum for QWISO I think that may be easy enough to pull off.

Did I mention I LOVE the flavors that are present in the first hit off the vapman? I have smoked much and never gotten that good of flavor from the herbs. I can really see different strains giving many different flavors.

I still am most happy with my first vap the Vapman. It's a keeper in my eyes for sure. ;)

:peace:

Stone__Man,

Stone__Man

thx weedemon for the reference link. I should say the link now gives a 404 error, think it needs updated ;)
Peace

Stone__Man,
How do the toothpicks work? How many PD stems/HI turbo bowls is the vapman? WHy should I get the pro how hard would it be to retro fit the aquavape into mouth hole. It would be the same with the flight box has this been done?

biojuggernaut,

OF

I don't know how many folks have one of these fun little vapes, but if you've never played with one I think you're missing a fun time. First off, it's just plain neat. It's got that 'steam punk' thing going on. What with wood, stainless steel, gold plated parts, mica insulation, bitty little screws and a decidedly strange profile. And then you fill it in a strange way, turn it on end and shoot it with your lighter while holding it in your fingertips. Trust me, that looks strange. This is not a good vape for low profile in public places.

It does, however, do an amazing job with a tiny bit of herb (what would you expect from the Swiss?). A little pinch gives you a dozen or more hits, and not all that thin either. Very frugal....again Swiss. I got mine from Amazon for what I consider a reasonable price (or I wouldn't have bought it....dumb thing to say, really) but the point is it's actually cheaper from Switzerland if you can believe it. More over there's a not finish sanded and oiled version that doesn't have the mica that's about half price there (not so good a deal here for 'the Junior' which is really the same size).

Anyway, I bring it up to see who else has one and encourage guys to consider it if you can spare the money and like vapes like MFLB for their 'funky' aspects. Fact is it comes to mind because I just got bored with going between testing some of this other vape stuff some more and dug it out to have some fun with some tasty blue dream I got the other day. A true treat late at night. I caught myself turning it around and around on the deck by the stem like it was a top, enjoying the different shadows each time it stopped. Not the sort of things a normal guy normally does.........

Anyway, check it out, this thread's not all that long and has all the information you'll need I think.

Thanks for reading.

OF

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it's a humdinger, especially at the low price of the basic, all of 86 dollars shipped (quickly) to the US. Despite being a junior model, my unit exhibits fantastic build quality and is sanded beautifully fine. Mine shows very little signs of heat abuse. In fact, the only real signs of heat wear on my unit are behind the built in screen on the mouthpiece portion, where there is visible darkening of the wood.

charliedontsurf,

OF

Yup, it's a humdinger, especially at the low price of the basic, all of 86 dollars shipped (quickly) to the US. Despite being a junior model, my unit exhibits fantastic build quality and is sanded beautifully fine. Mine shows very little signs of heat abuse. In fact, the only real signs of heat wear on my unit are behind the built in screen on the mouthpiece portion, where there is visible darkening of the wood.

Thanks CDS, that's what I understand. I actually bought one when ordering fancy stems from them, but when I got it I just can't bring myself to put fire to it it's just too neat and I already have a full on one in service. So much for getting a 'beater' to save my good one? Somebody's in line for a gift I'm thinking, just not sure who or when......

Or some night late, I might have a tasty gram......

OF

OF,

abbrev

I like the Vapman as well, it is my portable vape of choice (Volcano at home). It's very flexible once you got the hang of it to make it produce anything from very soft to very hard hits and being able to regulate the air/vape-ratio during the toke by just covering all or some holes with the fingers. Simple system, highly funcionable, love it :)

YFZ

First post but been lurking. I like the vapman. Its not stealth really as mentioned.....but nice efficient one where noise wont matter. I had the mflb before this. It was ok before loose neg wire and bad connections. Gave up on it and turned to this one. Theres really nothing to break on the vapman with proper use. Hits are much nicer imo. I read that someone measures the temp of the bowl. Id like to try that. That way i know what temp im vaping. Im pretty new to the vaps......if you are set at a certain temp on a vap, and take a few hits but not eniugh to spend it all (light brown) are you going to see different effects if you vaped at the same temp but went all the way to dark brown?

YFZ,
Reactions: steama

OF

Im pretty new to the vaps......if you are set at a certain temp on a vap, and take a few hits but not eniugh to spend it all (light brown) are you going to see different effects if you vaped at the same temp but went all the way to dark brown?

Howdy, welcome to the fun world of vapes. Most see it as a health and economy advantage (use maybe 1/3 the herb as blazing?), some for purity of taste. I agree, Vapman is a fun little gadget and very efficient. About what you'd expect the Swiss to come up with if you think about it a bit. Very well thought through IMO.

The general answer is yes, there's a whole group of similar chemicals of interest. Each with it's own boiling point, however the differences between boiling and the fact that evaporation happens below boiling make those more guidelines. In general the stuff that gives it most of the unique taste and the most psycho active ('best head high') parts come off first (lower temperatures).

Even with a good closed loop (stable temperature, well controlled) convection vape like the Herbal Aire getting really selective is a tough thing to do. In conduction vapes like Vapman you really don't have much of a chance since you can't control the temperatures except in the most crude manner. As you heat it, expect water vapor and most of the taste, followed by the mind high stuff and then the body high ('couch lock') stuff and finally the stuff that has medical value but doesn't get you off at all.

BTW, don't discount the water part, it seems to be roughly the same weight as the THC we're after in top tier bud, more so in lesser grades.

If you have a microscope of maybe 30 power available you can often watch the demise of the trichomes ('resin glands') in the process.

OF

YFZ

Makes sense. First heat up was mostly taste, then one good hit off it was good enough of a mind high for the session, if i continued till well spent, im thinking i would have got to more of the body/ medicinal value based on what you said. Ill keep practicing with this little sucker.

YFZ,
Reactions: OF

YFZ

another thing is a lot say very dark vaped weed is bad and is combusting. I know the taste isnt as good, but to me black means its spent. it either combusts or not. In a vap thats easy to tell when it happens. If i get them very dark i can toss the stuff because the abv is mostly useless to me.

YFZ,

Tweek

I will say, the video of how they make these little guys, really makes me appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into each one. May have to pick one up just for fun in the New Year when my funds replenish :D

Tweek,
Top Bottom