Vapman

OF

How is the bowl attached to the tubes? Is it by pressure only?

You need to send it in for repair to René @vapman (if you are in the EU) or to @M0J0 if you are in the US.

True rumor. To answer the original question, they are swagged into place. That is the narrowed end the 3 tubes is inserted and the lip 'rolled over' (riveted) to hold it in place. This takes special tools. You can see it being done in the 'making Vapemen' video. Older units had this done 'in place' since the pan won't go through the hole in the body each tube is inserted from below making the assembly 'captive'.

Later versions have a slightly larger hole and it's possible to buy a new assembly (pan and 3 tubes in place) as swap them 'at home'.

That one's gotta go to the shop......or get replaced with new?

OF

simpleasthcis

... As a box of ....
Old man new Pan :rockon::rockon::rockon:

E1WTF4Fh.jpg

Simple as three screws and
a bit of sanding :)

It is possible to repair and cost very little for the assembly I've been surprised how well the mica has lasted this has nearly one year daily useage, the wood has chard however it holds fast ad delivers the goods :tup: :wave:

qVB7pFL.jpg

M0J0

I am a leaf on the wind ~ watch how I soar...
So this happened to my friend vapman:

ce7MDKv.jpg

rscTx7x.jpg

What can we do about it?
How is the bowl attached to the tubes? Is it by pressure only?

Any chance we can fix it ourselves?
Like @OF said. It requires special tools.

If it's a newer Basic, you can purchase a bowl with air tubes already assembled and you drop it in and screw it in place. If the bowl drops through the hole, you can do this. If it doesn't, or if you have Mica, you can send it in for replacement.

M0J0

Vapman! I need your help,

My roommate used my vapman last and used one of those flavor drops in it and now all my hits have a slight taste of grape. What should I do?
I'm not vapman but I'd dip the middle section in acetone for about 30 minutes and then let it dry till the next day or longer until the acetone smell goes away.

Do NOT use your wife's acetone. Buy real, pure acetone from the hardware store that has no additives.

OF

My roommate used my vapman last and used one of those flavor drops in it and now all my hits have a slight taste of grape. What should I do?

Hire a couple of big Italian guys that like to hurt people to take him out of town a way and 'reason' with him. And leave him naked by the roadside tied up of course.

I'm not sure I'd rush to Acetone, but for sure avoid anything with any water (like alcohols)? I think I might try vaping several bowls. I suspect that which doesn't evaporate out of the wood will by then be safely covered by reclaim/condensate. The smell/taste of grape will disappear.

Use the roomie's stash for this, of course. And advertise for a new roomie, and give his clothes to Good Will. Should a naked guy show up at the door you can tell him where the clothes went.........

That way you'll both have learned a useful lesson.

OF

Seren

Away with the fairies
I've only felt the need to dip my mid-sections once since I've had them. That was only because I was packing one of them for a trip overseas. I was really surprised how much came out of them, they had absorbed so much oil. I was also surprised by how little time they required soaking, and how quickly they dried out. It's super easy to get them looking like new.

Just be careful with the acetone. I dripped some into the egg by accident.... and the top layer melted! Luckily, I had a spare!

Mostly, I just use a pipe cleaner for cleaning, and that's sufficient. But for a deep clean, acetone works a treat!

:2c::peace::leaf:

Mr Mellish

Hello, FC friends.

It appears that Mr. Mellish has lucked into an unexpected opportunity be the first FC’er to meet René in person. Better still, it appears Mr. Mellish is the first to meet him in The Shop.

Let’s answer a few expected questions at the outset.

· Yes, Switzerland is as beautiful as you expect it to be.

· Yes, this man is as nice as you expect him to be.

Having met René in person, I must warn you that he looks a bit different in person than in the videos. Here is a shot of René staring wistfully out to sea:

2isfcif.jpg

OK, I’m kidding. That is Aramis. He is the dog of René’s business partner, Adrian. I include him here because he is an awesome dog and, frankly, is more handsome than René or Adrian.

The office can be found in an unassuming industrial building near the old town center of Biel, Switzerland. Enter and go up the stairs an you’ll find a roomy office that provides the space needed to stock inventory and for all of the equipment used to produce the Vapman and the Vapman station. This is a big deal because, as you see some of the equipment the team uses to produce the Vapman, you’ll need to bear in mind that this equipment was once crammed into one room at René’s house.

You get a sense of René’s enthusiasm from his posts but that does not come close to showing the passion he has for his creations. While many of today’s vaporizers are produced by committee, with a focus on the next tweak and on profitability, this vape was created by a man who loves him some ganja and who wanted to find an efficient and healthy way to consume his favorite earthly vegatation (although, I can say that he also gets very, very jazzed pointing out trees and talking about their utility as VM material).

This man is creative and driven but he brings a different perspective to vape design. His first question isn’t how he will make money or how many cool options he can throw into it. His focus is this: How can I make a highly efficient vaporizer and make it as simple as possible? He then begins to ask himself how to preserve the flavor and to ensure the effect. Based on the vapes I have and the threads I read about other vapes, I don’t think I’m too far off track on this observation (although I admit it is not all encompassing).

I’ll pause here to say that I don’t use the VM as much as some of my other vapes and I’ve shared this with René. It isn’t because I don’t love it, it’s because the butane form factor is trickier to deal with in my personal situation. This write-up is going to seem glowing but that is because of the sincere focus and passion that René brings to his efforts. I did not receive anything from him and, in fact, reluctantly turned down offers to test his various devices because I was looking at a 2.5 hour drive and really didn’t want to lose work time sitting in a jail in Europe.

Let’s take a look at the shop:

2aieds7.jpg

This is where the magic happens and much of this was jammed into René’s house before they took over this office space (yes, that INCLUDES the venting system you see to collect dust as René’s runs his lathe and his sander). René built the venting system himself.

28rz2g3.jpg

This lathe is what started it all. René bought this device, built decades ago, and uses it for a variety of things. He uses it to build his own jigs, to shape the custom Vapmen, and to service the other tools he uses. His jigs are incredible. I’m not a toolmaker but I’ve worked in manufacturing and his tools are amazing. The precision and fluid motion (if required) of these jigs leaves nothing to chance. You don’t hear about Vapman returns because of the precision built into the jigs and the design (and it’s a good thing you don’t because René is shattered on those rare times that it does happen – e.g., the Vapman Station) . And, you can’t really appreciate the stunning complexity of this simple little device until you’ve seen partial assemblies and bins of parts. Your electronic vape may have more parts but it absolutely does not have the attention to detail and quality that this vape does. René points out that the VM has never been duplicated because no one could or would go to the trouble of building the fixtures necessary to produce a suitable rival.

2pt457c.jpg

Next up, this station is where he sands the Vapmen and where he does the precision drilling. It is not obvious from looking at the assembled Vapman but this device includes 16 custom screws that have to go into holes drilled at some crazy angles. However, as a former CNC programmer, René is comfortable working in 5 dimensions.

2m68qkn.jpg

This station is the place where some of the final assembly is done. For example, the “wok” (as René refers to it – I actually like that because it points to his inspiration but I still prefer cauldron) and the pins and springs are attached here.

This concludes my very rapid introduction to the production area. Now for a few random photos, including the friction-based Vapman (the only device he feels could use additional design and simplification work).

dpzrzm.jpg

To your left, as you enter the office is a display cabinet that I cannot believe I forgot to get a full picture of. The top shelf shows Vapmen made in a variety of woods. Each presents a unique color and grain pattern that is gorgeous in person. The lightest one between 5:00 and 6:00 is made from a tree in René’s yard and has very little grain at all.

The fully disassembled Vapman rests on a chunk of tree from Australia that a friend gave him. In that breakdown, you get a better sense for all the screws required and the odd angles in which they need to be installed.

The two pins you see near the mouthpiece are the ones that keep the stem attached to the body. They are the only off the shelf item in the entire Vapman assembly.

If you look carefully beneath the Vapmen, you will see this bad boy:

kcklmr.jpg

If I could have anything found in The Workshop, it would be this wonder. It has a fully glass vapor path, runs the vapor through water, and uses an adjustable halogen bulb to heat the material. René said he starts it on the highest setting and then backs the temperature off as he begins to feel the draw resistance change. This is the first thing René built and it was a bit of a copy of the Aromed. It’s beautiful and looks highly effective. There are still a few available for sale.

Below, you’ll see the outer cannister and the electronic assemblies for the revised Vapman Station. Yes, Virginia, there will be more Vapman Stations. Although I did not try the Station, René did demo how it works and it really is amazing. It seems like the perfect device for people with dexterity issues or other impairments that affect their ability to use a torch, or even some of the other electronic devices on the market. As an example, René has a blind customer who loves the Station. René shared with me that, because he is the center of the Vapman Universe, the straight up setting on the Station dial is his preferred setting. It appeared to be a very gentle and safe way to vaporize herb and René insists it hits him harder than a Vapman on its own.

qrcl8y.jpg

Finally, the infamous friction-based Vapman.

3445pvm.jpg

9uun2b.jpg

28qxhuc.jpg

As I was preparing to leave, René followed me out to the street where my car was. We talked for another hour about the vaporizer market and about his ideas for the future. He has broad depth of knowledge of the market, some of the players, and his own thoughts on what works, what doesn't, and what might down the road. Someone should try to convince him to do an Internet fireside chat.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry the photos weren’t better but I’m just not that great a photographer and it was a last minute thought to do this. Glad I could take one for the team on this one.

Several attempts to upload the video of René demonstrating the friction VM failed. Too bad, it was fun to watch!

Last edited:

M0J0

Hello, FC friends.

It appears that Mr. Mellish has lucked into an unexpected opportunity be the first FC’er to meet René in person. Better still, it appears Mr. Mellish is the first to meet him in The Shop.

Let’s answer a few expected questions at the outset.

· Yes, Switzerland is as beautiful as you expect it to be.

· Yes, this man is as nice as you expect him to be.

Having met René in person, I must warn you that he looks a bit different in person than in the videos. Here is a shot of René staring wistfully out to sea:

2isfcif.jpg

OK, I’m kidding. That is Aramis. He is the dog of René’s business partner, Adrian. I include him here because he is an awesome dog and, frankly, is more handsome than René or Adrian.

The office can be found in an unassuming industrial building near the old town center of Biel, Switzerland. Enter and go up the stairs an you’ll find a roomy office that provides the space needed to stock inventory and for all of the equipment used to produce the Vapman and the Vapman station. This is a big deal because, as you see some of the equipment the team uses to produce the Vapman, you’ll need to bear in mind that this equipment was once crammed into one room at René’s house.

You get a sense of René’s enthusiasm from his posts but that does not come close to showing the passion he has for his creations. While many of today’s vaporizers are produced by committee, with a focus on the next tweak and on profitability, this vape was created by a man who loves him some ganja and who wanted to find an efficient and healthy way to consume his favorite earthly vegatation (although, I can say that he also gets very, very jazzed pointing out trees and talking about their utility as VM material).

This man is creative and driven but he brings a different perspective to vape design. His first question isn’t how he will make money or how many cool options he can throw into it. His focus is this: How can I make a highly efficient vaporizer and make it as simple as possible? He then begins to ask himself how to preserve the flavor and to ensure the effect. Based on the vapes I have and the threads I read about other vapes, I don’t think I’m too far off track on this observation (although I admit it is not all encompassing).

I’ll pause here to say that I don’t use the VM as much as some of my other vapes and I’ve shared this with René. It isn’t because I don’t love it, it’s because the butane form factor is trickier to deal with in my personal situation. This write-up is going to seem glowing but that is because of the sincere focus and passion that René brings to his efforts. I did not receive anything from him and, in fact, reluctantly turned down offers to test his various devices because I was looking at a 2.5 hour drive and really didn’t want to lose work time sitting in a jail in Europe.

Let’s take a look at the shop:

2aieds7.jpg

This is where the magic happens and much of this was jammed into René’s house before they took over this office space (yes, that INCLUDES the venting system you see to collect dust as René’s runs his lathe and his sander). René built the venting system himself.

28rz2g3.jpg

This lathe is what started it all. René bought this device, built decades ago, and uses it for a variety of things. He uses it to build his own jigs, to shape the custom Vapmen, and to service the other tools he uses. His jigs are incredible. I’m not a toolmaker but I’ve worked in manufacturing and his tools are amazing. The precision and fluid motion (if required) of these jigs leaves nothing to chance. You don’t hear about Vapman returns because of the precision built into the jigs and the design (and it’s a good thing you don’t because René is shattered on those rare times that it does happen – e.g., the Vapman Station) . And, you can’t really appreciate the stunning complexity of this simple little device until you’ve seen partial assemblies and bins of parts. Your electronic vape may have more parts but it absolutely does not have the attention to detail and quality that this vape does. René points out that the VM has never been duplicated because no one could or would go to the trouble of building the fixtures necessary to produce a suitable rival.

2pt457c.jpg

Next up, this station is where he sands the Vapmen and where he does the precision drilling. It is not obvious from looking at the assembled Vapman but this device includes 16 custom screws that have to go into holes drilled at some crazy angles. However, as a former CNC programmer, René is comfortable working in 5 dimensions.

2m68qkn.jpg

This station is the place where some of the final assembly is done. For example, the “wok” (as René refers to it – I actually like that because it points to his inspiration but I still prefer cauldron) and the pins and springs are attached here.

This concludes my very rapid introduction to the production area. Now for a few random photos, including the friction-based Vapman (the only device he feels could use additional design and simplification work).

dpzrzm.jpg

To your left, as you enter the office is a display cabinet that I cannot believe I forgot to get a full picture of. The top shelf shows Vapmen made in a variety of woods. Each presents a unique color and grain pattern that is gorgeous in person. The lightest one between 5:00 and 6:00 is made from a tree in René’s yard and has very little grain at all.

The fully disassembled Vapman rests on a chunk of tree from Australia that a friend gave him. In that breakdown, you get a better sense for all the screws required and the odd angles in which they need to be installed.

The two pins you see near the mouthpiece are the ones that keep the stem attached to the body. They are the only off the shelf item in the entire Vapman assembly.

If you look carefully beneath the Vapmen, you will see this bad boy:

kcklmr.jpg

If I could have anything found in The Workshop, it would be this wonder. It has a fully glass vapor path, runs the vapor through water, and uses an adjustable halogen bulb to heat the material. René said he starts it on the highest setting and then backs the temperature off as he begins to feel the draw resistance change. This is the first thing René built and it was a bit of a copy of the Aromed. It’s beautiful and looks highly effective. There are still a few available for sale.

Below, you’ll see the outer cannister and the electronic assemblies for the revised Vapman Station. Yes, Virginia, there will be more Vapman Stations. Although I did not try the Station, René did demo how it works and it really is amazing. It seems like the perfect device for people with dexterity issues or other impairments that affect their ability to use a torch, or even some of the other electronic devices on the market. As an example, René has a blind customer who loves the Station. René shared with me that, because he is the center of the Vapman Universe, the straight up setting on the Station dial is his preferred setting. It appeared to be a very gentle and safe way to vaporize herb and René insists it hits him harder than a Vapman on its own.

qrcl8y.jpg

Finally, the infamous friction-based Vapman.

3445pvm.jpg

9uun2b.jpg

28qxhuc.jpg

As I was preparing to leave, René followed me out to the street where my car was. We talked for another hour about the vaporizer market and about his ideas for the future. He has broad depth of knowledge of the market, some of the players, and his own thoughts on what works, what doesn't, and what might down the road. Someone should try to convince him to do an Internet fireside chat.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry the photos weren’t better but I’m just not that great a photographer and it was a last minute thought to do this. Glad I could take one for the team on this one.

Several attempts to upload the video of René demonstrating the friction VM failed. Too bad, it was fun to watch!
Awesome post! I'm so jealous - I haven't been to René's shop yet. It's still a dream for me.

The pics are awesome too.

We need to see the friction vape video though!

vapman

Manufacturer
@Mr Mellish: Thank you for the friendly visit! It was my pleasure showing you the workshop and parts of my
city with the beautiful lake of Biel.

In order to avoid any misunderstandings, I like to correct just one small detail: the desktop vaporizer with the halogen bulb does not have to be shifted down when the draw resistance changes, actually the resistance doesn't change at all. It should or can be shifted down, when the vapor becomes hotter and harsher, which again is as natural as adjusting the temperature of the water in the shower.

Again, thanks for the visit and all the best!:)

vapman

Hey everyone couple of questions but some background first.

Recently I've been noticing an issue with my torch. I'll press the button, but it will only go about halfway down and does not click. It is still expelling butane, but no click. I disassembled it and found a small black disc floating around in the chamber where the button is.

My questions are:

1. What is the black disc
2. Where does it go
3. Will putting it back in it's proper spot fix the issue.

Thanks in advance peoples

ShinyMoonz,
Reactions: vapman

vapmanjoe

I'm planning to make a little roadtrip with a caravan beginnen mid-July, but not clear yet if my tour will take me to the north or south of Europe, but lastly i tend toward south and would love to get the opportunity to visit your workshop passing through switzerland :luv:. I will let you know ;-)

sternenstaub

M0J0

vapman

Manufacturer
My questions are:

1. What is the black disc
2. Where does it go
3. Will putting it back in it's proper spot fix the issue.

The black plastic disc is the shock absorber, it goes to the bottom underneath the piezo. If it will solve the problem, I don't know.

@vapmanjoe: Write me an email, you are welcome to visit the workshop! I wish you a pleasant trip!

Vapman

Top Bottom