1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vapman

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by spyder, Jul 3, 2008.

1. steama

steama Well-Known Member

For me there is a crucial warm up process like with a lover.

4 seconds heat on, pause 2 seconds, 3 seconds heat on, pause 2 seconds, should see mouthpiece vapor wisp (test puff), 3 seconds heat on, puff...you should have good vapor production about here for sure.

Good luck my friend — Remember what OF said, "Don't be shy with the fire". You can always dial variables back after success.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    ataxian and Mr Mellish like this.
  2. OF

OF Well-Known Member

You're welcome, of course, glad to help if I can.

Ah, I see some of the confusion. In my part of the world 5/8 inch is more like 16mm than 6 or 7......this metric stuff is really confusing things. We used to be able to talk to each other and communicate ideas to better than 50%......

So forget 3 or 4 times bigger, but close to double it? Seriously. As long as you can keep it on the cone it's all good and you really want to put the heat in for the next hit FAST so you can get to sucking on the other end as that heat rolls through the load. Dally and you bake the load rather than roast it.

Don't be shy, the downside isn't bad. Get brave, see what it gets you.

Hang in there, it really is worth the effort to learn it.

OF
  3. basement farmer

basement farmer My face is melting...

It's a metabolic condition, I can't help it:freak:
  4. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Well....it is not like I NEVER ever do it. I just try to keep in mind I might want it more later and I forget that too.

Also, I am just barely perfecting on how best to load this little guy — this has made a difference for me. The Vapman is really a work of art.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    ataxian and OF like this.
  5. Egzoset

Egzoset 1SipAToke Vaporist (v3.0)

Salutations Mr Mellish,

Perhaps i'm getting the wrong impression, there's no harm done in asking anyway. So, it sounds like you're trying to heat and inhale simultaneously, but you're NOT. Right?...

:peace:
    steama likes this.
  6. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

Ha! I've made a good impression so far! Fear not, I was only referring to the perceived temp of the vapor I'm inhaling.

This is kind of turning into Lighter 101 for me. The only thing I've used a lighter for in many, many years is to fire up the Big Green Egg.

Cranked that flame up again and it seems to be making a big difference.
    steama and OF like this.
  7. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Go, Brother, go!!!

Don't be shy. Experiment to find the boundaries, follow the results you like (avoid doing stuff you don't like again) and true enlightenment will find you!

Congrats. Vape on.......

OF
    Seren, ataxian and steama like this.
  8. steama

steama Well-Known Member

A few posts back the idea of tolerance was mentioned which got me thinking. Wouldn't it make sense to have as your main vape one that would do the job but resist making you tolerant to the medicines effects?

I am doing an personal/unscientific experiment where the Vapman is my main vape and my Lotus is for when I want more powerful effects. I want to see if can get better effects overall while resisting tolerance to medicine with the Vapman as my daily driver. A two week test should give me an idea if this makes any sense or not.

I guess I'm also talking about efficiency — getting more with less (a Vapman trademark).
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Seren, OF, Mr Mellish and 1 other person like this.
  9. hoyo77

hoyo77 Well-Known Member

Good luck my brotha..I lack the necessary discipline for such a task. These vaporizers talk to me...they call me and beg to be filled with meds and heated with flame...and though I try I give in quite often..i am giving in as I write this post.
    Seren, Mr Mellish and steama like this.
  10. hoyo77

hoyo77 Well-Known Member

@steama how is the experiment going? how easy is it to load the vapman between sessions. looks quite simple, easier than FF.
    axakal likes this.
  11. axakal

axakal Well-Known Member

steama likes this.
  12. Mr Mellish

I'm not Steama but I find it almost as easy and fast as the MFLB.

- Twist and lift stem
    - Dump abv
    - Drop collar/funnel on
    - Pour in a little material
    - Lift collar off
    - put stem back on and twist to lock

It takes seconds (and in my situation, that is VERY important).
    steama and OF like this.
  13. OF

OF Well-Known Member

True enough, but bush league when it comes to serious speed loading. Dry it well, grind fine and preweigh into individual vials and you can run with the big dogs. IIRC it's about .080 grams (say .075 to .085?).

Then, dump the duff, forget the ring, put the bowl (upside down) on the uncapped vial, invert, pull the vial, brush enough of the pile away to expose the step on the top of the center stem in the bowl (so the stem can locate) and install the stem, flattening the load in the process. Stop the clock.

It's the waving the fire around that's hard to be casual and fast about I think? From a distance I think that's what makes it look like what it is.

OF
  14. steama

steama Well-Known Member

The experiment is going just swell. The Vapman is very capable of producing large tasty clouds especially if not over-loaded which I did a lot at first. I also find it very fast to load and use. Nothing lost in this effort but I think there has been gain.

The biggest trade-off so far is I don't get to use as much herb, (good thing)!

As far as the FF goes I think it is a great vape but a bit too polished and refined for me to use as my main vape — too ultra clean and ends up boring me a bit. I think the Vapman and the Lotus are much more fun to own and use.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Seren, nopartofme and OF like this.
  15. axakal

axakal Well-Known Member

Glad to hear about your progress :). Did you measure the loads and how much herbs you spend since starting the experiment?

As for the FF, i guess, i know what you mean. The vapes made of wood like the vapman, the mflb and the lotus just seem to provide a kind of an emotional connection to the vaping experience. The high tech units made of plastic just appear soulless in comparison.

Quetzalcoatl, steama and OF like this.
  16. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I didn't measure, however, I do not fill above the center alignment spike with a conscious effort to leave a little space but not much. A perfect 'load' is very close to over-loading, too much material and the airflow is choked off. The Vapman still vapes somewhat over-filled loads just not optimally.

Saving of material is quite obvious already.
    Seren likes this.
  17. basement farmer

basement farmer My face is melting...

Speedloading. Sweet!:rockon::rockon:Could kindly you direct me to the proper vials? That's be swell.
    Seren, OF and steama like this.
  18. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I use a scoop — BOOM your done.
  19. Mr Mellish

I'm game. Where do I find these scoops or vials of which you speak?
  20. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Sure. Glad to. These are the one's I use. They also sell clear and green, but I like the amber:
    http://www.specialtybottle.com/1dramamberglassvialwblackcap.aspx

I have a small plastic funnel I stick in the top, put the whole thing on the scale and zero then scoop in some ground bud and top it up to the window. For most small vapes it's .125 grams (.120 to .130). Then poke all the weed down the funnel with a bamboo skewer, move the funnel, cap it and move on to the next. Only takes a few minutes to grind (with a coffee grinder) and meter out loads for a week or so.

The vials are air tight, the bud stays fresh until called on. I messed with some cork ones at first, they're fun, but the corks fell out and got lost. Screw caps seem better.

BTW, four vials fits in a four AA cell holder for pocket carry. Typically I have two vials and two spare MFLB batteries in one 'ready to go'.

OF
    Seren, axakal, Quetzalcoatl and 3 others like this.
  21. steama

steama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just make a 'job sized' scoop out of aluminum flashing. Once the scoop size is set the job is done. Scoop, (handle herb only once) and fill. I think it is the fastest method in the West.

I make custom scoops for all my vapes for speed loading purposes.
    Seren, axakal, OF and 1 other person like this.
  22. Mr Mellish

Very cool site. Thank you.

I never stop asking...can you recommend a scale? My kitchen scale just can't go low enough.

Love the idea of using the battery case.

Steama, that is also an interesting idea. I'll keep an eye out for flashing.
    steama likes this.
  23. OF

OF Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Neat site for sure, don't miss the 'tin cans'.......

This is the upgraded version of my favorite 'small scale scale' (I have the 10 gram version):

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-DIA20-Digital/dp/B003STEJCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396583102&sr=8-2&keywords=dia 10 scale

The neat part is it reads thousandths of a gram. A more generally useful (and cheaper one) that I also like has OK resolution but will weigh things like entire Iolites to determine fuel loads. Also good for torches which you can't see the supply on:
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Signature-AWS-100-Digital/dp/B0012LOQUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396583167&sr=8-2&keywords=10 gram scale

It's also a little cheaper.....which leaves more money for false drugs.

OF
  24. Mr Mellish

Two days into vacation and two sleepless nights. Words can barely convey how much I miss my little Swiss-made sleep-aid!
    Seren, OF and steama like this.
  25. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Well I am cutting my experiment short — it is over — I give.

Though I use my Vapman daily I constantly thought about my Lotus giving me more control, power, and flexibility. I can use the Lotus so many different ways I love it. The Lotus has to be my daily driver but I use my Vapman everyday and think it is a great number two for me and my number one when on the run.

I bought my Vapman as a replacement to my MFLB that I grew tired and bored of (nothing against the MFLB, except maybe the tap, tap, tap). I think I hit a home-run with the Vapman.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    axakal, vorrange and OF like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors