Discontinued Vapir NO2

ozwiz

owner Vaporiser World NOW live Australia
Have not posted for a long time but thought I would throw my 2 bobs worth in about the No2 I've had it a few days now and it beats the iolite imo hands down. No hassle with butane the No2 holds charge and temp very well.
The taste is fantastic and I really don't have ANY complaints about the unit as whole whatsoever and I do own quite a few vapes whether they are portables or not.
So for me now it is the old faithful Herborizer at home and now No2 when I'm on the road (which is a lot) in place of the iolite or the VM3. All the best from DOWN UNDER guys.
Go you Dragons!

ozwiz,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Ozwiz - welcome back to the forum. Although I completely agree that this thing beats the iolite, I cannot agree on the taste. I have burned my unit in for several hours now and I have not been able to get rid of the plasticky taste. I just brushed my teeth and I can still taste the after taste of the No2. Any suggestions?

stonemonkey55,

Rudy Rudiger

How long and at what temp stonemonkey?

Did the 20 min auto shut off interfere with the burn?

Rudy Rudiger,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
My old Vapir had that crap plastic taste too and turned me off of vaporization for awhile until I tried something else. Funny, I've had friends think the Iolite tastes good and I laugh... They have no clue until they try a vape that doesn't taste plastic'y :)

Thanks for taking one for the team though! I'm leary of any Vapir stuff but curious...would be nice if they got a decent piece on the market.

Lo,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I have been running my No2 now for about 7 hours at 400 degrees. It auto shuts off after a few minutes, not 20, so I had to keep adjusting the temperature to keep it going.

I just took another "phantom hit" (pulling with no herbs in the chamber) and the plasticky taste is still there. I am having my doubts that it ever goes away, I think the resin and oils eventually masks the taste over time.

It is too bad, this machine actually works so if you can put up with the taste, then I think you would be satisfied. While it is put together better and is far more convenient to use, the Supreme will still be my go to "on the go" vape.

I am going to continue to burn this bad boy in - will update as I make new findings

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
I haven't tried the N02 and don't know that I ever will, but in fairness to the product I feel that I have to point out that both Lo and sm have taste buds that I can only dream about (or hardly remember). I don't know if it's just that I'm older, too many years of smoking cigs, genetics, or a combination, but I don't have the taste complaints that they do with things like different kinds of vape tubing, plastics, etc. So if your taste buds aren't easily offended I wouldn't worry about the N02 being especially nasty in that regard.

max,

stinkmeaner

@stonemonkey55---Can you explain how the heat exchanger works/transfers hot air? From the video on Youtube it looks like a brass bowl but I see no holes for airflow, almost looks like conduction but I am sure there has to be an air hole somewhere.

Also if you have seen/used the original and more expensive Vapir, how does this heat process different?

I think there will always be a plastic taste just by the design, the top that disconnects is plastic and is in direct contact with heat and every time you inhale you are pulling air from the heater into the plastic. If you look at most other plastic designs, they usually have teflon in that area i.e. HerbalAire and Zephyr Ion, this probably reduces the plastic taste to a lower degree.

stinkmeaner,

lwien

max said:
I haven't tried the N02 and don't know that I ever will, but in fairness to the product I feel that I have to point out that both Lo and sm have taste buds that I can only dream about (or hardly remember). I don't know if it's just that I'm older, too many years of smoking cigs, genetics, or a combination, but I don't have the taste complaints that they do with things like different kinds of vape tubing, plastics, etc. So if your taste buds aren't easily offended I wouldn't worry about the N02 being especially nasty in that regard.
Yeah. That plastic taste is one of the things that really turned me off to the Iolite, amongst others. It just always tasted a bit funky.

You seem to be implying that SM and Lo have extraordinary taste buds and that one would not like the nO2 only if their taste buds were "easily offended". They, in fact, may have normal tastes rather than extraordinary tastes and if that were the case, the nO2 would have a bad plasticy taste for a lot of users, regardless if their taste buds were easily offended or not. You may be the exception here rather than the rule. There has been so many reports of Vapir products in the past having this issue, that I think it is something that everyone should be concerned about with Vapir vapes, unless of course, their taste buds were shot like yours. ;)

lwien,

Rudy Rudiger

stinkmeaner said:
@stonemonkey55---Can you explain how the heat exchanger works/transfers hot air? From the video on Youtube it looks like a brass bowl but I see no holes for airflow, almost looks like conduction but I am sure there has to be an air hole somewhere.
If you check out the screen changing vid, you can see the holes in the brass.

Rudy Rudiger,

max

Out to lunch
lwien said:
max said:
Yeah. That plastic taste is one of the things that really turned me off to the Iolite, amongst others. It just always tasted a bit funky.

You seem to be implying that SM and Lo have extraordinary taste buds and that one would not like the nO2 only if their taste buds were "easily offended". They, in fact, may have normal tastes rather than extraordinary tastes and if that were the case, the nO2 would have a bad plasticy taste for a lot of users, regardless if their taste buds were easily offended or not. You may be the exception here rather than the rule. There has been so many reports of Vapir products in the past having this issue, that I think it is something that everyone should be concerned about with Vapir vapes, unless of course, their taste buds were shot like yours. ;)
I've heard taste complaints from Lo and sm but no mention from many others on the same materials. For example, I've read a ton of posts from iolite owners, but few complaints about taste. I could give another example on a product I've heard no other taste complaints about at all, but since the comment wasn't a forum post, I'll refrain. My description of their taste buds is in comparison to my own only, and I'm sticking to the comparison. If you want to use my words to imply "extraordinary", that's up to you. If that had been my intent, I would have used that word (or a similar one) myself.

max,

lwien

max said:
If you want to use my words to imply "extraordinary", that's up to you. If that had been my intent, I would have used that word (or a similar one) myself.
Sorry, Max. I guess when you said, "Lo and sm have taste buds that I can only dream about", I got from that that you thought that their taste buds were, to put it another way, more sensitive than normal. I always thought my taste buds were shot too being that I smoked cigs for decades along with my age, but to me, I was never able to get over that plastic taste that came out of my Iolite.

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
If you have no concern about taste, then I would say the NO2 is a very solid pick up. Max is right though, I do value taste more than your average vaporist but it is still hard for me to believe that other people haven't mentioned anything about taste. I've burnt in my unit for at least 12 hours over the weekend and between my friends and I, probably ran through a good 10 grams of herb through the machine and when you take a phantom hit, the plastic taste is still very strong. To me, it definitely tastes worse than the iolite but the trade off of larger clouds and temperature control tilt my opinion towards the NO2.

stonemonkey55,

lwien

Do you think there's a health concern being that you can taste the plastic?

I mean, I don't consider myself a vapor connoisseur when it comes to bud tasting, but that plasticy taste just doesn't seem like something that I would want to inhale into my lungs and is but one reason that I no longer use or have the Iolite.

lwien,

Rudy Rudiger

The type of plastic would ultimately determine the severity. Is it BPA free? I cant seem to find that out but Im thinking its probably not. Many sources feel that if your water tastes like plastic, it has plastic in it. I think that same logic should be applied to Vapor. If the Vapor tasts like plastic, ere on the side of caution. Watch out SM exposure to high levels of BPA can quadruple the risk of erectile dysfunction and raise ejaculatory difficulty seven-fold.

Does the NO2 taste of plastic when there is no heat applied? I just wonder if the plastic taste could be localized on the unit. Doubtful, but you never know.

To boot, that brass bowl is bad news.

Rudy Rudiger,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hmmm, good question Rudy... but to answer your first question about changing screens, I have done it and it is very simple.

As for the second question, you can taste the plastic even at room temperature but it gets worse once you heat up the machine. I am comfortable with the materials the Iolite uses as I don't my due diligence on those plastics and found them to be safe for vaporization temperatures. I have not ready anything on the types of plastics that are used for the No2, can anyone enlighten me. Sm55 does not want ED!

stonemonkey55,

Rudy Rudiger

So I got this idea, just an idea. I wonder if soaking the top piece in some type of solution might diminish the plastic taste. Similar to what you would do with a water bottle that has been sitting around for awhile. Ive played sports my whole life, so ive been through a fair share of bottles, and if the following doesnt help, I dont think anything will. No I wasnt the water boy. So here goes:

First off, remove the screen from the top cone. We are just dealing with the tope cone and the removable plastic piece that holds the screen. Could also soak the hose and mouthpiece.

Need: White vinegar, Baking Soda, Lemon Juice, Water, Collection of Tupperware containers

NIGHT 1: Rinse with really hot water, then with cold. Do this couple times. Water doesnt have to be boiling, just hot tap water should be fine. Then I would soak in 2/3 vinegar 1/3 hot tap water, should be hot enough that you dont want to stick your hand in it. Let it sit overnight in closed tupperware container. Rinse it out in the morning.

Assuming plastic taste still present.

NIGHT 2: Rinse same as Night 1. Then add two tsp. baking soda, hot water, and some lemon juice. Again, solution should be hot. Let it sit overnight in closed tupperware container. Rinse it out in the morning.

Some people go a step further and use bleach, but thats not a good idea.

Anyway, if the plastic taste hasnt been eliminated, its safe to say it was just poor manufacturing by Vapir. Who would have guessed that? Again, the above is just a suggestion, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. In all reality it will probably do very little to help the taste, but if it were me I'd give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen?

EDIT: I cant spell, and it bothers me.

Rudy Rudiger,

luchiano

I'm thinking it's like a lot of plastics and need off gassing and a little cleaning. Putting a little dish detergent and some hot tap water in the mouthpiece(cover the hole with something so no liquid falls out), do a good scrub with a sponge(makes sure there are bubbles being made for more surface contact which means better cleaning) and letting it sit then running some water through it thoroughly should get rid of the plastic smells better than just letting air pass through it because the plastic odor is actually being washed away due to the detergent emulsifying the plastic into the water and making it easily washed away but maybe I'm wrong in this case, who knows?.

Doing the same method for the small hole with a q-tip should work but I think would need something that gives a little more friction. You can try to stuff the hole to make it tight and that gives a little friction to scrub the free plastic away

After the cleaning I would heat it up to dry it out and release the plastic odors that are left.

Also, I was thinking if anyone has any targards that filter cigarette smoke they can use because they look like they may fit over the small mouthpiece and that can be used to cool the vapor better than the hose as well as make it more dense due to the targards having little holes in them which spins the vapor so fast it cools it down a little which in essence is kind of like having a bong which gives smooth vapor?.

luchiano,

skystate

The only experience I can add to this part of the thread about "plastic" taste, is that in my limited experience vaping.. (iolite and now No2) I have no alternative standpoint (ie. glass on glass) to compare them to. So perhaps it is a blessing that I have nothing to discern between, and which allows me to just be happy to be vaping with no hassle.

Perhaps someday, I can experience a totally glassed vape, and will see the clouds part, and have the sun shine in on my taste buds, to suddenly illuminate me about the apparent differences... and then I will get busy with scrubbing and etc.

But right now, I must admit, there is no "plastic" offensiveness in my experience with No2.

Some of you make it sound like I am really missing out on some different flavor (or lack of one) which is better than a unit with plastic in the way of the heat. I'll grant you that until I get a chance to compare for myself.

skystate,

Rudy Rudiger

I dont agree with luchiano on the dishwashing soap. Sorry, but theres just too much junk between fragrance, dyes, and preservatives. As far as emulsion, Im not so sure that dishwashing soap has those characteristics. I think the emulsifying agents, the poloymers, are more directed towards oils in that they allow water to mix with oil for easier cleaning. I dont know what effect that would have on finished plastic other than to make it shiny and smell like a spring breeze.

Rudy Rudiger,

luchiano

Rudy Rudiger said:
I dont agree with luchiano on the dishwashing soap. Sorry, but theres just too much junk between fragrance, dyes, and preservatives. As far as emulsion, Im not so sure that dishwashing soap has those characteristics. I think the emulsifying agents, the poloymers, are more directed towards oils in that they allow water to mix with oil for easier cleaning. I dont know what effect that would have on finished plastic other than to make it shiny and smell like a spring breeze.
Maybe you're right but I tried it before and it worked but naturally for every case it's different because we don't know the manufacturing methods. Nothing wrong with doing my method and yours and seeing what works.

The only thing thing that I noticed that made a difference was using some type of strong friction. Using a regular hand cloth isn't that good unless you use a good amount of elbow and finger power and even then you didn't get everything but if you use a lightly wet spong(more friction) or scrubber and using light strength to prevent tearing and scratching of the plastic it got more of the odor off but again could be another cause.

luchiano,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Rudy and Luciano - I will try both methods and report back.

Skyskate - there is definitely a discernible difference between these units versus a glass based vape, or even any of the whip based models on the market. I would still rank the taste above typical smoke, but as far as vaporizers go, I would rank both of them on the lower end of the spectrum. We all have different preferences so if this is meeting your needs, you don't need to worry about the nitpicking I am doing in the taste area.

Overall, I do think the No2 is a good vape. For me, taste is a huge factor so this will only get used when it is my last resort. I am very much into the entire vapor experience, meaning, getting fucked up isn't the only thing I am judging these units on. Many of my friends, they are just interested in getting F'd up and to them, the NO2 is awesome. For me, I like to sit down, turn on some music, grind some herbs, and really enjoy every aspect of the vapor experience.

As a manufacturer of another TYPE of vape, I do feel a bit restricted in speaking about what I don't like about the N02, but all in all, I think that Vapir is moving in the right direction.

stonemonkey55,

lwien

skystate said:
The only experience I can add to this part of the thread about "plastic" taste, is that in my limited experience vaping.. (iolite and now No2) I have no alternative standpoint (ie. glass on glass) to compare them to.
While glass on glass would probably eliminate anything getting in the way between the true taste of the bud, I found that a whip based vape like the Buddha or a direct draw vape like the PD was much preferable to the plastic taste I got out of the Iolite. SM, is there more of a plastic taste from the Vapir than the Iolite?

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Plastic taste is much more prevalent in the no2 than the Iolite. I will use Luciano's and Rudy's methods to try and get rid of the excess taste and report back in the next few days.

stonemonkey55,

Wolface

OK, Now this thread is getting interesting! Sometimes my Supreme can taste a little woody when maxed out but that's ok. Hopefully something can be worked out to mask the plastic taste:p So are we talking about Supreme sized clouds with the No2 or not quite?

Wolface,
Top Bottom