Discontinued Vapir Air One 5.0

drseuss

I recently joined FC and have been using my vaporizer for about 12-18 months so was a bit surprised when I could not find a review of it on here. A little bit of searching around found that it was mentioned, in hushed tones it seemed, because it was a poor product and that there were other better products available. Well i have only used this vape so I cannot say that is right or wrong but i will give you my honest opinion of the Vapir Air One 5.0.

I bought it from the Vapir website after emailing them to see if they did a model that would work in the UK, I did not want to spend my money on something electrical which would not work, or worse, break when i plugged it in. They responded pretty quickly so i placed my order. Due to a decent exchange rate at the time I purchased 2 for 150, one for me and one as a gift for my younger brother. They arrived in approx 10 days time in a simple brown box, i didnt have to pay any tax on it either but your experience may differ here. (i have ordered things from abroad before and sometimes i have to pay to collect and other times I dont!?)

I only use the vape with the bags. I set the temp anywhere between 170 and 190, depending on the bud I am using and how fresh it is. Now, I havent done any scientific studies to ensure that the digital gauge is reporting the temperature that it actually gets to and if that temp is measured at the point where the herb cartridge sits, but, it is certainly hot enough to work and there is a decent amount of variation available for the temperature to find one that suits you and your bud.

Now, to use the vaporizer you have to grind up your bud and put it into the "herb disks" (i like to call them cartridges, as in shotgun or N64, take your pick). I like these, although I found them fiddly at first. I can pack three of these and they will do me all night. These sit in a little tray to get them in and out of place in the vape.

To turn on the vaporizer you plug it in to the mains and underneath the handle is a power switch, once you flip this switch the LCD displays the temperature 250 F and the fan starts. Thre is a switch to control fan speed on the inside of the handle, you have high, medium and low, which also corresponds to the pitch of the whine that the fan makes. Switch this to low while you set up the vaporizer. To set the temperature i first have to press a button to switch from fahrenheit (the default option) to celsius (what i work in) once that is done you press the + or - button to get to your desired temp. Once you are happy you press the Flame/Fire button to start the heat, when you do this an anry red light will appear above the LCD until it reaches the desired temperature, at which stage it turns a jolly green.

Once the green light is on you now have to act like a Formula 1 pit team (its not that bad really), first i pop in the cartridge which sits in an ejectable tray, then you have to put the hose into the end of the vaporiser. The latter part of which can be a pain. The top of the vaporiser twists off, to reveal a rubber section which sits inside the top of the vape. This, combined with the rubber O ring on the bit that comes off, is in an effort to create an airtight chamber so that the vapour is directed into the now attached tube and bag. And I must say it is very succesful. I do not notice any vapour leak from either the pipe or the vaporizer or the bag. I know this has been a problem mentioned in other reviews, but i only notice the vapor leaking out when i leave the bag overfill, (usually because i am playing xbox).

EDIT: Oh and remember to turn the fan back up to High once the bag is attached.

From 1 cartridge i usually fill 5 bags, although recently I was thinking of purchasing some of the volcano bags and modifying them so i could just fill one and be done with it. As a result of this method, i usually just fill 2 bags whilst hitting them, switching them when the one i am using is empty or if the one on the vape is almost full, the last two bags i leave fill to the max and, as i leave the pipes in the bags, i can fold them over to create an airtight seal to keep the vapour in the bag so i can toke on it a while.

You cannot turn the Vapir One 5.0 off immediately after use, first of all you have to turn the heat off, pressing the flame/fire button will switch the jolly green light off but the fan will still be going. The manufacturer recommends letting it cool down for 5 minutes before switching the whole thing off. In reality I usully leave it 1-2 minutes before i switch it off. You can check the temperature by quickly flicking the flame button, this will turn it on again (if you leave it for more than a second the temp really shoots up) and let you see what the current temp is, i usually let it get down to approx 40 celsius so after chcking a few times i determined that it took about 90 seconds to cool down from 175 celsius so i tend to adjusst to 2 mins when i use it at 190 celsius.

Now the vapour.

The vapor that you first get off it is nice tasting thick vapour, this will be for the first 3 bags, the last 2 tend to have a thinner vapour but are very definitely active. some of my friends think they are the "worst" ones to have.

I use my Vapir One lying on the side, that is, i set it on the sofa with the display facing up, i have heard people say you should have it upright but i can never be bothered holding it so i lie it on its side and it has worked for me for as long as i have had it. I read somewhere earlier someone saying he used it upside down to stop oil dripping down onto the heating element, i have never experienced that, perhaps because i use it sideways, but there is no build up of sticky residue inside the vaporizer. There is some residue above the cartridge, i.e, where it is being forced out into the tube (which will also acquire this brown tinge if you use the same end of the tube all the time) but this does not appear to have affected the performance at all.

As far as cleaning goes I have never done any, neither the cartridges, the vaporiser or the bags and tubes have had anything done to them since i bought it. i think i should perhaps change the tubes and maybe clean the bags and cartridges but it really doesnt seem to be affecting performance so i dont really bother.

So thats it, my review. let me know what you think.

Oh and I am curently considering getting a new vape, all the money i have saved from cigs and papers is probably going toward an extreme after someone else recommended it to me. i think the wife will prefer it too as it looks much nicer than the vapir one.

TL;DR
- a good vaporiser, not problematic like its predecessor models, easy to learn to use, good temperature variation, bag or whip delivery, minimal maintenance, con- noisy fan which can get annoying.

drseuss,

smoking Joe

I had a vapir par one which was a piece of junk. Glad to hear that the 5.0 works better. I have a silver surfer which is a whip style with no fans or bags. Works great for me and love it!

smoking Joe,

lwien

smoking Joe said:
I had a vapir par one which was a piece of junk. Glad to hear that the 5.0 works better. I have a silver surfer which is a whip style with no fans or bags. Works great for me and love it!
Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad reports too, many of them very recent (which I can post up here if anyone's interested). I have to assume that Vapir has heard about these, but what I can't understand, is that if they have, why do they STILL only offer a 90 day warranty?

I have no doubt that there will be some who have had very good luck with their Vapir vapes, but man, the bad reports sure do outnumber the good ones, and I've never seen that happen with any other vape.

It would sure be nice if Vapir came out and said, "We have fixed the past issues we have had with our vapes, and we feel so confident about it, that we are extending our warranty from 90 days to a year", or 2 years, or 3 years. But to continue with a 90 day warranty on a product that has had so many bad reviews does tend to raise some eyebrows.

lwien,

drseuss

thanks guys, i have been lurking round here for a while reading the discussions and that is why i am now thinking of the extreme. it seems to be well liked and reliable and i think i am due an upgrade.

drseuss,

Beezleb

Ive seen more positive reviews overall for the vapir 5.0 than wholly negative ones. If your in the market for an all purpose vape and are on a budget this is a vape that is worth looking into. It has positive and negative aspects as all vapes do and one can decide on that for themselves.

I have seen very few and no recent complaints of the vapir breaking down or failing. The biggest concern from past models and still somewhat reported on is that they can leak vapor. That is why if you watch some youtube videos and may see they taped the vaporizer up, but this is mostly reported to be an issue in the older models. It should also be understand their are not many reviews of this vaporizer in comparison to some other vaporizers.

Its said to be very noisy but easy to use. The most popular use ive seen reported was the bag over drawing from the tube.

Due to the higher quality and performance of the Extreme I tend to recommend the Extreme over the Vapir 5.0 unless their on a limited budget and if it fits their situation.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'll repost what I posted in the thread about this unit in the 'ask the vaporists' section:

I gotta say I can't recommend this vaporizer. It is the cheapest one on the market that does both bag and whip, but I don't think it does either one well.

Here's what I don't like about it:
I got vapor leakage from the unit every time I used it.
It does not turn on without the fan being on...no silent mode.
The fan is the loudest of any vaporizer I have used.
The whip really isn't a true whip style since you cannot hit it without the fan on...you must have the fan on at least the slowest speed.
It doesn't stand upright by itself so you must either hold it or prop it up. If I laid it on its side the herb in the chamber would most likely slide to one side and not vaporize as well.
The unit I had would not go above 204C on the display.
The people I know who own one no longer use it as they have moved on to better vapes.

What I like about it:
Price is cheap.
It feels like it is made pretty well.
The bags are well constructed and are smaller than the Extreme's.
It heats up quickly.

I hope that helps some. I would not rank this vaporizer above any others that I own. If price is a huge limitation, I'd rather use a Purple Days, Vapor Genie or Launch Box than this vape. Spyder may have been right on the money recommending the DaBuddha. It's a good unit at a great price (that is available) that puts out good vapor. Even though it is not feature rich, what it does it does well.

The thought of this unit being direct draw makes me laugh. The unit does not produce vapor without the fan on, so you would have to have a set of lips on the tube all the time in order to not waste vapor, or turn it off between hits.

stickstones,

josh

I have one. It was the first vape I bought back in February. While it was better than smoking it didn't suit my needs. For a party it is ok but for my every day all day use it wasn't going to cut it. Thank god there are other options.

As far a performance, I got vapor leakage from both the tube connection and the cartridge area so, for me, it definitely wasn't very efficient. I tried the bag a couple times, but mainly just stuck with the tube. When I got tired of hitting it I would just hold the hose by my nose and breathe which gave me a great head high. It got way too hot to be something I could use and have out all the time. Also not very inconspicuous.

josh,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^^LOL Josh...I can picture you with half a buzz bent over with a tube on your face so you can get high without having to turn the unit on and off!

stickstones,

jp2xtreme

I've had one since October, and when I first bought it I used it every day. Then it went in the closet for 4 months but its back now. I really enjoy it. As long as you don't fill the disk too full or pack it too tight it doesn't leak out of the top. The only downfall is the annoying fan, and the kind of time consuming efforts when there is a group of people. But for private use I completely recommend it. I've been mixing it with peppermint tea lately and the taste is fantastic. The tea is completely healthy for you and you can use less product and still feel the same. Plus...I mean it tastes like a peppermint vap bag...

jp2xtreme,

boummeur

I used the Vapir Air One 5.0, for 6 months, first the electric wire broke from movements, I fixed it, then the fan stopped, that was enough for me.

I got a SSV from 7th floor, had it for 6 months, completelyhappy:p, Better taste, use less green, trouble free.

The best

boummeur,

vapirtoo

Ive been vapping since april this year using the newest vapir one and a magicflight launchbox.
Both vapes work well with a nod to the vapir in actual extraction.
The initial leakage with the vapir has almost disappeared as the kif has gummed up most of the cracks
between the cassette and the unit.
The vapir seems to do better with the more moist and gummy varieties and is good with the whip or with the
bag. It heats up really fast and produces thick vapor.
The fan sounds cheap and annoying, and its chinese manufacture is troubling when you consider
the possibility of toxic materials in the air stream.
Still, I like what it does to me and compared to my friends volcano, it is a real bargain.:lol:

Mod note: Please look for existing threads on a particular model before starting a new one. Threads merged.

vapirtoo,

Myko

Hey, does anyone have a quick fix for the leaking where the hose goes in? My friend recommended plumbers putty, but I was wondering if there is a good o-ring or something out there.

Myko,

alevity

Myko, a quick fix for the leaking where the hose goes in would be to ...
unscrew the cap and put duct tape flush up against the hose and inner wall of the cap and make sure the cap is screwed back on tight :) just my :2c:

alevity,

vapirtoo

I guess I just really suck and I mean sucking hard ! as I pull on my whip
along with the fan on low and I get so zooted that I dont give a damn
about the little leakage. My vapir makes vapor as good as my friends
new volcano. Yeah his bags are more convienent but the results are
similar.

vapirtoo,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Got all baked and wanted to merge a zong I had sitting around with the vapir and found out the tubing fits perfect into a standard small bong

bagzong.jpg

JDSupreme,

vapirtoo

great pix and wow! look at the thickness of the vapor in that bag!
pass that stuff over here will ya. :lol: .

vapirtoo,

lilzeus

I have this vape now and I have already ordered a 'better' vaporizer.

The build quality is very cheap. The construction of this unit is that of two sections of the housing screwed together(clam shell style). Every single seam where the two surfaces mate is 'off' in one way or another. The seal of the top cap, where you insert the tube, which screws on is very poor and as designed will probably never seal properly. As noted, the fan is very loud and cheap sounding. The surfaces where the cartridge tray slides in are either shifted or there is a slight gap, preventing it from sealing. The aluminum plate/decoration around the screen is not glued on properly and is pealing up slightly. Its just poor design to have an area which you need to be air-tight composed of two cheap and imprecisely made halves of plastic housing screwed together. Another design flaw is that because of its shape it is a hassle to get it into a proper vertical position for proper heat flow(last I checked, hot air rises). You either have to come up with a way to hang it(I have) or try to hold it while you perform the various tasks necessary for vaporizing, which sometimes require both hands.

All that being said, here are the positives: Its cheap. It comes with 5 balloons and they all seem fairly decent/strong enough. It does the job fairly well(granted this is my first vaporizer and vaporizing experience). I have actually started to use its whip capability more than the bags. The herb cartridges are fairly small, which works out nicely for me since I have many different kinds of 'herb' to vaporize and like to try new flavors frequently. Using the whip allows me to take only as many hits as I need whereas with the balloons I could often over-fill and sometimes under-fill.

If anyone feels it would be helpful I am willing to take close-ups of all the problem areas. And offer tips on how I 'improved' mine so that it is more effective, IMO.

Overall, I would not recommend it. There are FAR superior vaporizers for maybe $50 more. There are even others which might be cheaper(though maybe don't have balloon capabilities) and perform just as good if not better.

lilzeus,

Raf007

Retailer
Please do post some pics as this might help people and prevent some from buying crap.

Thx for this nice review btw.

Raf007,

lilzeus

You asked for it, here goes!

This is the slot for the tray, where your herb disks are placed. See those two seams? That is where the two halves of the device come together. As you can see, they are off. I have sealed them with a high temp silicone...something they used on the insides of the device as well(I used black, they used copper/orange). This surface is supposed to be perfectly smooth, the top of the tray is smooth.

You can also see the strap

2z4fk1j.jpg

The next couple are of the cap, where you insert the hose for whip or filling bags. From top to bottom: cap, O-ring, main housing of device. See that gap? Vapor leaks from there.

2emelu9.jpg

Another shot of another gap.

n181at.jpg

Here you can see how uneven this area is and why there are gaps.

4hxu0n.jpg

Underside of the cap, where the silicone chimney on the inside is supposed to seal. It also seals at the bottom, near the herb tray.

do5v8y.jpg

The next two images are of the ramps or cams on the cap which go into slots on the main housing to seal the cap. Already showing signs of wear from being taken off for cleaning.

20gismd.jpg

34ifjtv.jpg

This next one is how I managed to get a better seal for the cap. The slots built into the main housing have stoppers for when you twist on the cap. I turn mine ever so slightly so the ramps/cams engage the stoppers a little bit. You can see it is screwed on tighter.

2873sbk.jpg

This next image is from the top, with the cap removed. You will see the slots which the ramps/cams fit into before you twist the cap on to seal it. Unfortunately, all of these surfaces are square while the O-ring is round. You can also see how the slots have less surface area to seal. A problem inherent in the design. Also in this pic is the silicone chimney. More on that next.

14wxhcl.jpg

The silicone chimney is also a 2 piece design. This creates a seam on both sides of the chimney. The seams are also areas where it was apparent that the two halves were not brought together perfectly evenly, creating a step at both the top and bottom. I was able to use some fine grit sand paper and the fine side of a nail filer to sand these surfaces down to smooth as shown in the next two pics.

2ujp5w4.jpg

wlxd9w.jpg

The next two pics are looking down into the belly of the beast. These are shots of the areas where the two halves of the main body come together. As you can see, I have sealed them with black high temp silicone.

2iks5ki.jpg

29l0chu.jpg

Here is the inlet to the fan. As you can see, its a cheap design. This is after I have trimmed some of the excess plastic to improve intake air flow.

xbz7np.jpg

The decorative metal plate coming up.

e9w4ld.jpg

When I use the whip function, I insert the herb disk and tray and wait for a slight bit of vapor to visibly be coming out(as in the next pic). Then I take a long, slow draw/hit....hold, and then exhale. Once the tray is inserted, it only take 2-3 seconds before vapor is visible.

24xfkb9.jpg

This is what some vaporized herb looks like. This pic is not of a 'cashed' herb disk.

20gglki.jpg

Not pictured is the fact that I sealed the seam which runs the length of the main housing on the outside as well. Despite having sealed the two inside surfaces, I was still getting leakage along the outside seam.

Like I said, it does a decent job but for the price this is what you are getting and personally I cannot recommend it.

There you go. Hope that helps. :)

lilzeus,

vapirtoo

Hot damn! those are some crisp photos. Obviously you are an individual on the Sherlock
Holmes tip :lol: . Seriously, your critique is spot on and you have worked quite diligently
to improve the vapir's delivery and efficiency. Hey, I still maintain that it gives me a great
result and saves me herb. The build is very questionable as is the country of manufacture.
I guess if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the aromazapp people , but they
do not inflate bags. Again great work and information ; take a pull, sit back and smell the ..... whatever. :2c: .

vapirtoo,

Raf007

Retailer
THx !! That's what we can call an extensive and descriptiv resum.

Imo it cuts any talk, the product is shitty !

Thx again for your time .

Raf007,
Top Bottom