Vaping trimmed leaves

SD_haze

leaves have a lot more tar than the buds, and while some may claim vapor "has no carcinogens", plenty of vaporizers do transfer undesirables, especially at high temperatures and at the end of a bowl.

so if I were to vape trimmings, i would only use pretty low temperatures and I wouldnt *keep* vaping it, just one or two hits (if it really was JUST leaf and not trim with some buds in it)

Of course you can always bypass all the extra tar and nasties with trim by just making some edibles ;)

SD_haze,

crawdad

floatin
it would last ya longer in a bowl, but it makes real good edibles and you dont have to touch your bud stash so thats a plus. just did some trim cookies recently and came out nicely.

crawdad,

max

Out to lunch
plenty of vaporizers do transfer undesirables
It doesn't depend on which vape you're using, it's temperature related. Leaves will just have fewer active compounds than buds.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
SD_haze said:
leaves have a lot more tar than the buds, and while some may claim vapor "has no carcinogens", plenty of vaporizers do transfer undesirables, especially at high temperatures and at the end of a bowl.

Which ones? What evidence do you have that supports this?

pakalolo,

Minging

been vaping trim for the last 2wks , ran out of flowers :(
well worth it in my opinion , kept me sane anyways :)

Minging,

SD_haze

max said:
plenty of vaporizers do transfer undesirables
It doesn't depend on which vape you're using, it's temperature related. Leaves will just have fewer active compounds than buds.

That's what I meant by vaporizer related, a non-variable wont get up to the high temps but any variable temp vape can easily.
But I should have clarified using a variable temp at low/medium temps is pretty safe :p

pakalolo said:
SD_haze said:

Honestly it depends on how broad you define a carcinogen. You could stick to highly carcinogenic chemicals like hydrocarbons and whatnot, but if you're vaping at a high temperature at the end of a bowl, I have very little doubt you're getting new undesirable substances that would only be increased vaping a leaf compared to a bud.

We know we can't eliminate carcinogens from our modern life, but it can't hurt to minimize exposure whenever you can.

There definitely needs to be more research done on this entire subject of vaporization safety, but the light vs highly carcinogenic argument I originally read right here on FC, but no idea who had said it.
I do remember he sounded like he knew his plant biology real well :shrug:

SD_haze,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
SD_haze said:
pakalolo said:
SD_haze said:

Honestly it depends on how broad you define a carcinogen. You could stick to highly carcinogenic chemicals like hydrocarbons and whatnot, but if you're vaping at a high temperature at the end of a bowl, I have very little doubt you're getting new undesirable substances that would only be increased vaping a leaf compared to a bud.

We know we can't eliminate carcinogens from our modern life, but it can't hurt to minimize exposure whenever you can.

There definitely needs to be more research done on this entire subject of vaporization safety, but the light vs highly carcinogenic argument I originally read right here on FC, but no idea who had said it.
I do remember he sounded like he knew his plant biology real well :shrug:

Perhaps you "have very little doubt" but I have huge amounts of doubt. There's not much published research on this, and the little that is available is contradictory. I have no idea why you'd think that using leaf as opposed to buds would increase the amount of toxins. I'm not aware of any reason that would be true. I'm not saying it isn't, but I am saying I have found nothing (except unsubstantiated opinion, like yours) that would support that or your original statement--and I've looked hard. Tars, incidentally, are by-products of combustion and don't belong in this discussion.

My point is that you made a statement as though it were fact when it actually was an opinion, and now you tell me you aren't even sure where you got the idea. No doubt someone on here has posted something like this and you thought it was authoritative, but I will bet lots of money that whoever said that has no more proof than you do. I will go even further. I'll bet whoever said that based it on that single 2001 study by Gieringer in which he casually said he saw benzene appear in vapour at temperatures above 200 C, without providing any supporting evidence whatsoever. The only other study I've been able to find on this subject did not find any toxins and thus contradicts this.

Opinion stated as fact undermines FC. Please don't do that.

pakalolo,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
What I do when I'm out but have a bag of dried trim is get out the old sieve, fill it with the frozen trim (30mins in freezer), and tap away onto a clean surface and collect up the kief. I've been quite surprised before how much you can get out that way - also avoids the 'plant-matter' if it worries you.

J.R.R.Tokin',

djonkoman

I tried it a while ago since I got some trim for free, I have a friend who knows a guy who ocassionally wants to smoke but can't roll himself, so he asks that friend to roll for him, but he can't roll either so he asks some of us who can, and that guy he knows has some weed delivered to him, but that guy doesn't know much about weed probably and they complain if the weed/tobacco ratio is too high, while if we only put in a tiny bit of weed in each joint they're satisfied so a lot is left for us after rolling 20 or so
I helped 2 times so far(it doesn't happen that often, else that guy would know better than to smoke joints with barely any weed), first time it was pretty nice weed, not the best or anything but average quality, nice buds and sticky, and considering we got a few grams for free out of it very nice
but the last time it was just trim with hairs in it(I think cathairs since they were white and about cathairlength)so this time we just threw a lot more in them, but we were left with a little in the end wich I tried in my VG, surprised e how long it lasted, I expected that it would be cashed with 1-2 thin hits but lasted a lot longer, but no/not much taste and just not that good so I still have a little left since I have better things to vape :p

if you don't have anything better it works, but if you do you probably won't bother
better use it for baking or hashmaking if you have enough of it

djonkoman,

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
What I do when I'm out but have a bag of dried trim is get out the old sieve, fill it with the frozen trim (30mins in freezer), and tap away onto a clean surface and collect up the kief. I've been quite surprised before how much you can get out that way - also avoids the 'plant-matter' if it worries you.

you could make kief and vape that. you can also press the kief. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Z9-dARjP8
this tech should work well. I'm about to try it myself.

you can make bubble if you have methods vaporizing that too. These are all pretty safe.

CHEI,
Top Bottom