Vaping through wood?

little maggie

I mainly use wood vapes and/or wood stems. I've read in a couple of places comments on people not wanting to have wood in the vapor path. Is there a health reason for that or is it because of taste?

C No Ego

For using my Haze V3 @Ed's TnT wooden WPA is all that I use with it now... it adds a bit of natural wood flavor but seems to condition the vapor and feels good on the lips when using the vape without the bubbler.. I clean the tube out every now and then to get the oils out...

Chicken #420

I and I be Irie Vaping with U and U in Zion, mon!
The faint background "woody" flavor is why I prefer my Spalted Maple Sticky Brick Jr. over every other portable vaping solution I've ever tried. It has kind of a light "bamboo-like" flavor... really pleasant and complementary to the herb! :)

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I mainly use wood vapes and/or wood stems. I've read in a couple of places comments on people not wanting to have wood in the vapor path. Is there a health reason for that or is it because of taste?
There are some woods like cedar wood which have a lot of resin ,which can be irritating for oné's respiratory system especially if he/she is allergic. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/ <=========== Here is a big list of those woods with harm potential.
--------------------------------------
here is a short table . I assume those with only letter D ,are good to go.
toxic2.png

----------------
https://www.deckwise.com/wood-allergies-and-toxicity.html just google wood toxicity .

Last edited:

chris 71

i carve a lot of wood and looked into the wood toxicity stuff a long time ago . the links Abysmal Vapor posted are some of the stuff i read in the past .

although i guess some people could be severely allergic to certain types of wood and wouldn't want to be putting a particular type that there allergic to in there mouths . for the most part its the dust that you have to watch out for , like say sanding furniture or in wood working or carving.

i just got a walnut dynastash box . walnut is known to be toxic . it is one of my favorite types of wood to carve . but its the dust that i would be careful with not really the finished product .

i have see some dynstash boxes made out of wenge which is a beautiful type of wood i have carved it too

in Africa were wenge comes from , the natives there use the bark to mash up and make a type of poison they use to catch fish . they mash it up and put it into the water and the fish are stunned and they gather them up for food . but this is the bark from what i remember reading .

there is some debate out there about spalted wood , because its a fungus that causes the wood to spalt and you might not want to be breathing in the dust from that .

if i was really worried i would maybe in the case of the stash box , weather walnut or wenge or whatever . because generally pretty much all of the exotic hardwood are considered toxic to some degree . i might use a little plastic bag when using the storage part of the stash box . other then that just blow hard through any new stems or whatever before you use them . just to make sure any dust is out . but i dont think in our case there is much to worry about unless your sanding the wood in that case were a dust mask .

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
i carve a lot of wood and looked into the wood toxicity stuff a long time ago . the links Abysmal Vapor posted are some of the stuff i read in the past .

although i guess some people could be severely allergic to certain types of wood and wouldn't want to be putting a particular type that there allergic to in there mouths . for the most part its the dust that you have to watch out for , like say sanding furniture or in wood working or carving.

i just got a walnut dynastash box . walnut is known to be toxic . it is one of my favorite types of wood to carve . but its the dust that i would be careful with not really the finished product .

i have see some dynstash boxes made out of wenge which is a beautiful type of wood i have carved it too

in Africa were wenge comes from , the natives there use the bark to mash up and make a type of poison they use to catch fish . they mash it up and put it into the water and the fish are stunned and they gather them up for food . but this is the bark from what i remember reading .

there is some debate out there about spalted wood , because its a fungus that causes the wood to spalt and you might not want to be breathing in the dust from that .

if i was really worried i would maybe in the case of the stash box , weather walnut or wenge or whatever . because generally pretty much all of the exotic hardwood are considered toxic to some degree . i might use a little plastic bag when using the storage part of the stash box . other then that just blow hard through any new stems or whatever before you use them . just to make sure any dust is out . but i dont think in our case there is much to worry about unless your sanding the wood in that case were a dust mask .
I have actually some Jamaican dogwood tincture which is a very strong sedative and pain killer ,it is also known as dream fish ,because they use it to catch fish :)).

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
There are some woods like cedar wood which have a lot of resin ,which can be irritating for oné's respiratory system especially if he/she is allergic. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/ <=========== Here is a big list of those woods with harm potential.
--------------------------------------
here is a short table . I assume those with only letter D ,are good to go.
toxic2.png

----------------
https://www.deckwise.com/wood-allergies-and-toxicity.html just google wood toxicity .

Good evening, a lot of the database is for wood workers. The things to worry about are when sawing, boring, turning and sanding. For the most part.

C No Ego

I've inhaled enough wood to sink a Big boat and to feed a Lot of hungry termites LOL... vinegar is still used in woods too for building purposes I can smell it when you cut it sometimes... scared to know all the industrial by products soaked into the woods I've cut over the years... Penta treated has caused the worst effects on people I've noticed.. myself included

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I've inhaled enough wood to sink a Big boat and to feed a Lot of hungry termites LOL... vinegar is still used in woods too for building purposes I can smell it when you cut it sometimes... scared to know all the industrial by products soaked into the woods I've cut over the years... Penta treated has caused the worst effects on people I've noticed.. myself included

IKR, remember the old man on grumpier old men, smoked ate bacon and that was still kicking I know it’s a movie but hey you can get cancer from just living and breathing air. I ain’t sweating it I do what I can when I am turning to prevent the most of it, I don’t get it all. You can’t kill bad grass and I sure as hell ain’t going to quit doing what I love!

Mad_Max

Reviving a sleeping thread. :zzz::clap:

I have a new Ed's TnT unfinished maple stem for a 19/19, 19/22, and I think should work on any 18 mm female vape connection. It has so much resin, or whatever, from the wood when I try to vape that I can't finish a few draws without feeling like my lungs have been poisoned. Is there something I can do to condition it for vaping, other than cleaning the interior of the stem with a brush and water with a little dish soap, which I've already done? I sure want this to work! :luv:

GoldenBud

I have a new Ed's TnT unfinished maple stem for a 19/19, 19/22, and I think should work on any 18 mm female vape connection. It has so much resin, or whatever, from the wood when I try to vape that I can't finish a few draws without feeling like my lungs have been poisoned. Is there something I can do to condition it for vaping, other than cleaning the interior of the stem with a brush and water with a little dish soap, which I've already done? I sure want this to work! :luv:

the wood's resin is your tiny problem
dry herb contains like 50% or more of plant material, chlorophyll etc'
some percentage of this stays in your lungs
it's not 100% healthy, but it's muchmuchmuch better than smoking
nobody said vaporizing buds are healthy. it's just a better alternative.

PS
also some percentage of THC/CBD etc' stays in your lungs...

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Mad_Max

Mad_Max

the wood's resin is your tiny problem
dry herb contains like 50% or more of plant material, chlorophyll etc'
some percentage of this stays in your lungs
it's not 100% healthy, but it's muchmuchmuch better than smoking
nobody said vaporizing buds are healthy. it's just a better alternative.

PS
also some percentage of THC/CBD etc' stays in your lungs...
That all makes sense, but in this case the resin seems to quadruple the negative impact, to the point I can't continue. :ugh: It seems useless to me at the moment. I have a couple of Dreamwood Glows which are beautifully finished that don't do this, though when new they do have some small effect from the varnish and stuff for a little bit.

Would I have this same problem with the Ed's TnT Cocobolo beautifully finished stems for the TinyMight? Maybe I just can't handle the unfinished maple.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

That all makes sense, but in this case the resin seems to quadruple the negative impact, to the point I can't continue. :ugh: It seems useless to me at the moment. I have a couple of Dreamwood Glows which are beautifully finished that don't do this, though when new they do have some small effect from the varnish and stuff for a little bit.

Would I have this same problem with the Ed's TnT Cocobolo beautifully finished stems for the TinyMight? Maybe I just can't handle the unfinished maple.
you can clean the stem with boiling water. it works like a charm. did it and it works well. wood is made from cellulose. and boiling temp of more than 100c, nothing will happen. don't use tap water, kettle boiling water! :)

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Mad_Max

Mad_Max

you can clean the stem with boiling water. it works like a charm. did it and it works well. wood is made from cellulose. and boiling temp of more than 100c, nothing will happen. don't use tap water, kettle boiling water! :)
On his website, it says never submerge a wooden stem. I did use water on it before, and it's not exactly submerged in the video. It's not much use to me as it is, so I might as well give it a try. :rockon:I'll report back. :sherlock:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Mad_Max I've turned some stems with a very strong scent. I consider them unusable.

@GoldenBud - cilia This 'regurgitation' from the lungs is what makes flavored vapes so addicting.

I've noticed I am more reactive to woods that clings to everything when it is sanded. I locked in solid on my Flowering Quince shrubs because there is no static adhesion at all when turning and sanding. No mask, no problem - unlike Rosewood, Cherry, and others. That neutral electrical charge seems to have a lot to do with how my body deals with the dust. And make no mistake, the tip-port will off-gas. One lesson I learned from past research is to know the source of the stock the stem was made from. I've been tendering my stock for better than 30 years and the soil is clay.

Cleaning is easy when you consider the reclaim is the oily 'wood treatment'. I push a small bud through there and get a nice reclaim bowl for my troubles. I recommend a 4mm bore if you want to draw down the ID. I love my wooden one-piece flowering quince stems. Unique and tough as nails. I compare it to Maple any day with special properties - it doesn't split! Show me a wood that resists splitting ;]

Hv7j0e2.md.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenBud

On his website, it says never submerge a wooden stem. I did use water on it before, and it's not exactly submerged in the video. It's not much use to me as it is, so I might as well give it a try. :rockon:I'll report back. :sherlock:
it's not submerging, it's just running boiling water inside.. the water spills right away

@GoldenBud - cilia This 'regurgitation' from the lungs is what makes flavored vapes so addicting.
our lung is like a "cold exchanger" which is set around temp of 70F, then the hot vapor, well, some amount of these will stay as "reclaim"

GoldenBud,
Reactions: TommyDee

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

Good morning, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with using the wood. I am a bit confused when you say "unfinished maple". I use woods that are within a 5 to 8% moisture content or less being as dry as possible. Maple is a species I have been using for years being dry and free of any moisture or resin. I am not sure what you mean by unfinished, all my work is finished there is nothing added to it that mother nature didnt provide herself. I bore the blanks, turn the pieces and rub a little mineral oil beeswax finish on the exterior of the piece, there is nothing added to the draw or load area.

As @GoldenBud mentioned above dry herb has a lot of plant matter that is released into the vapor which does coat the inner portion of the stem as well as your lungs.

I do say never submerge the wood stems. I recommend pushing through a dipped cotton swap with high proof alcohol from time to time to remove any build up from the vapor resin within the draw bore.

Pls tell me more, lets go from there.

GoldenBud

I do say never submerge the wood stems. I recommend pushing through a dipped cotton swap with high proof alcohol from time to time to remove any build up from the vapor resin within the draw bore.
I used boiling water just because I haven't found any Qtip long enough to get inside the stem, this stem is not short at all...
But alcohol is also an organic solvent and the wood is kinda organic too...
so either way is not perfect, you sure pouring boiling water inside will ruin it? it didn't do anything bad to my maple stem

GoldenBud,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I have found the longer ones on amazon if that helps. I cant say that the boiling water through it will ruin it I just havent ever done that. Wood can be so vulnerable to excess amounts of liquid from species to species they react differently so dont tell anyone to do that.

Have also heard others taking a paper towel twisting it then dipping it in alcohol. I know some use high proof drinking alcohol. Then with a twisting manner push the paper towel through the draw hole.

Top Bottom