Vaping Caviar-Gold / Moon-Rocks effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
Heyo FC!

If you aren't familiar there is a herb item out there called caviar gold, it has also recently been re- branded as moon-rocks.

Basically all this is, is a nug that is soaked in hash oil/wax until highly saturated then rolled in keif.
The appeal here is quite obvious, but for us to vape I feel the application is not.

You can't use this in a convection device as you'll just get the oil into the heating elements and potentially never fully clean it.
You can't grind it well, so even in a nice convection vape you are limited by finger grind.

The temp that the oil needs is not the same as the temp as the keif needs.
Overall I have tried this stuff a lot of times, but have never ever felt like it was a great experience overall.

Either it gives minimal vapor, tastes like shit, or takes a billion high temp hits to extract, there is also always an unreasonable amount of stirring.
Never have I ever vaped this and felt like "fuck I gotta go get more of this NOW."

Meanwhile lots of combustion fans are 24/7 raving about it and want some available.

So, anyone out there got a killer method to vape and enjoy this?
Because I feel like vaping this is a utter waste of time and material.

Yes I do realize this is typically not the high quality product they imply goes into it, just curious if someone out there found some trick which is eluding me.

For reference: A herb bowl with keif on top and wax on top of the keif in a convection vape, blows any and all cavi gold out of the water by a long shot.
Just due to the relative volatility and arrangement.:2c:
Hell, a bowl of herb only actually is better on average.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I've made my own and both my VapCap and Arizer Solo did well with it. The Solo I loaded the stems onto a water tool that kept them inverted 90 degrees so the oil absorbed into the flower and didnt make too much of a mess, but did make for quite a few sessions!

Armerad

Dabbin'
I've made my own and both my VapCap and Arizer Solo did well with it. The Solo I loaded the stems onto a water tool that kept them inverted 90 degrees so the oil absorbed into the flower and didnt make too much of a mess, but did make for quite a few sessions!
I did the same thing with a small bed of ground herb to sandwich the Space Nugs/Moon Rocks/Caviar Gold in my Arizer Air with similar results.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Interesting, I've been asking my connection about this, but never thought of this. Maybe I don't want it now after reading the original post. LOL

Armerad

Dabbin'
Interesting, I've been asking my connection about this, but never thought of this. Maybe I don't want it now after reading the original post. LOL
Unless you can get a pretty great price on them (They can range from $10-40 a gram at my local dispensaries in SoCal), I wouldn't say this is actually worth the trouble.

Armerad,
Reactions: HomeFree

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Heyo FC!

If you aren't familiar there is a herb item out there called caviar gold, it has also recently been re- branded as moon-rocks.

Basically all this is, is a nug that is soaked in hash oil/wax until highly saturated then rolled in keif.
The appeal here is quite obvious, but for us to vape I feel the application is not.

You can't use this in a convection device as you'll just get the oil into the heating elements and potentially never fully clean it.
You can't grind it well, so even in a nice convection vape you are limited by finger grind.

The temp that the oil needs is not the same as the temp as the keif needs.
Overall I have tried this stuff a lot of times, but have never ever felt like it was a great experience overall.

Either it gives minimal vapor, tastes like shit, or takes a billion high temp hits to extract, there is also always an unreasonable amount of stirring.
Never have I ever vaped this and felt like "fuck I gotta go get more of this NOW."

Meanwhile lots of combustion fans are 24/7 raving about it and want some available.

So, anyone out there got a killer method to vape and enjoy this?
Because I feel like vaping this is a utter waste of time and material.

Yes I do realize this is typically not the high quality product they imply goes into it, just curious if someone out there found some trick which is eluding me.

For reference: A herb bowl with keif on top and wax on top of the keif in a convection vape, blows any and all cavi gold out of the water by a long shot.
Just due to the relative volatility and arrangement.:2c:
Hell, a bowl of herb only actually is better on average.
Cut a reasonable size piece off a moonrock.
Put in a triangle tooth grinder. Barely grind, only enough to break it up.
Load into vape. Start out temps a bit higher than with herb.
Hit the vape, higher temp, a few times till flavor/vapor drop off.
Empty load into finer toothed grinder. Regrind.
Load back into vape.‎ Again, temps a bit higher than with herb.
Hit the vape, higher temp, a few times till flavor/vapor drop off.‎

Keep hitting till you reach whatever ends your session. This works pretty well.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'd state that while moonrocks are available, I'd rank straight herb more desirable to vape.‎

Plus, Noone can ever tell me what they're made of. Sativa, Indica, Strains?

Nazz1

Heyo FC!

I sincerely don't believe that Moon Rocks are a "re-brand" of Caviar Gold.
They come from different companies even.

Now.....on a lot of sites people refer to Moon Rocks as "cannabis caviar" which may have led to the mistaken link to Caviar Gold.

I have had both....quite frequently but moon rocks are now harder to find probably due to how friggin good they are.

There is a HUGE difference between the highs......
"Caviar Gold" is deep ... thick in the head and heavy on the body.
"Moon Rocks" is different in the head...very deep cloud comes over the head and it will walk right over any high you may already have from a different strain.
They are advertised as made with "Girl Scout Cookies", Hash Oil, and Kief

When Moon Rocks first showed up in my SoCal MM shop, it was in 1 gram glass jars and labeled at 53% THC. Now it comes from a large jar (like Caviar Gold)...which I hate because there is about 1/4" of Kief in the bottom of the jar (and not on my "prescription").....which I do not see near as much in the bottom of the jar with Caviar Gold.

I have tried Caviar Gold in my Haze using the can. I have also used it in my G-Pen Slim with okay results.
It will break down, by hand and scissors, to a fine slightly sticky grind.

Moon rocks...I have not tried in the Haze or G-Pen yet... I will not mention the combustion word...

Nazz1

The big issue is also who owns branding? I don't think you can patent the name of any type of cannabis.
If I am not mistaken... patents are a federal thing.....

So now everyone can claim to be selling Caviar Gold and Moon Rocks...

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!
Cut a reasonable size piece off a moonrock.
Put in a triangle tooth grinder. Barely grind, only enough to break it up.
Load into vape. Start out temps a bit higher than with herb.
Hit the vape, higher temp, a few times till flavor/vapor drop off.
Empty load into finer toothed grinder. Regrind.
Load back into vape.‎ Again, temps a bit higher than with herb.
Hit the vape, higher temp, a few times till flavor/vapor drop off.‎

Keep hitting till you reach whatever ends your session. This works pretty well.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'd state that while moonrocks are available, I'd rank straight herb more desirable to vape.‎

Plus, Noone can ever tell me what they're made of. Sativa, Indica, Strains?

I'll try that as best I can with the tools I have on hand, TY.

They can't tell you what its made of as, A: they didn't make it and B: its a mish-mash usually.

The big issue is also who owns branding? I don't think you can patent the name of any type of cannabis.
If I am not mistaken... patents are a federal thing.....

So now everyone can claim to be selling Caviar Gold and Moon Rocks...

Yes and No.

We had home made product in a joint with all the makings we are talking about here on our shelf.
Named as Cavi-cones, close enough name to keep people informed but also be different.

After a while we got a cease and desist letter from Caviar Gold, stating that they were not happy.
Ownership ignored it and then later got a second cease and desist, which escalated things and was prepared to go to legal action.

At which point the name of the house product changed and it's done with.

So yeah, you can list it however the fuck you want but expect push-back from the actual manufacturers. Assuming you are in a state within their span of reach.
Go to Caviar-Golds website and check out their copyright at the bottom of the page.

Here is some good background info on IP in the MMJ industry.

As far as the slang and generally accepted history of the term, Caviar gold has been the long standing name for this item. That's been the case for a long long time before this CA company cropped up in 2015 with the same name claiming they 100% originated the concept.

Then also somewhere along the line this Kurupt guy invested his rap $$ into making a herb product which is made in the same way. The name they call it is Moon rocks, but the manufacturer is doing nothing different (other than pricing and strain combo.)

Last edited:
Dramma Lamma,
Reactions: DDave

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I've also made my own moon rocks/cariar with high grade small bud dipped with shatter on the outside then dusted with kief.

At the dispensaries in WA in my area when they had medical stores they all made their own. You couldn't always find it. When you could it was quite pricey, too much IMO - $25. A gram. It wasn't from a big named company. Just a cottage craft. I assume eventually it will show up at the recreational stores. Maybe it has and I'm not aware.

While vaping i used my Solo or the Enano. It worked out fine. I tried a slightly higher temp than flowers alone.

It depends how potent as to what products and strains that it's made from.

Try wrapping it in cotton and see if that works better. Unless you have access to hemp fiber. Just cut a piece with a knife or scissors. Clean your screen when done vaporizing right away. It's just easier to clean.
Smooth vaping.;)

Last edited:
CarolKing,

Nazz1

Then also somewhere along the line this Kurupt guy invested his rap $$ into making a herb product which is made in the same way. The name they call it is Moon rocks, but the manufacturer is doing nothing different (other than pricing and strain combo.)

The pricing has been the same at the MM shop I go to.
25 g, 2 g for 45, and the discount continues the more you get.
I got 7 g of Caviar Gold for $120. I know I could not buy Moon Rocks for that price.

I hear what you say....and agree that the products have the same strain combo....BUT....the strains used and the quantity of those strains in that combo is the difference that makes Moon Rocks a different level.....IMHO (Also....Moon Rocks have more Hash Oil...cause they are far denser and more "gummy" inside.)

Was CaviarGold the first company to distribute oil laden buds rolled in kief? If so... I congratulate them on starting an interesting "product" line.
It is interesting to see peoples "blendings" of strains and types of strains. That is what a "free pre-roll" usually is....right?

Power of the Strains is why we are here.
Otherwise....cannabis would be just be "Cannabis"...in a Utopian way....with the same effect and taste.

Last edited:
Nazz1,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've found that lower temps and stair casing are best for high potency weed or kief laced weed. This keeps the flavour okay while you extract since it takes longer to extract everything out of it. It becomes a case of "the bowl that keeps on giving" where there so much vapour you get tired of it.

Winegums,

herbivore21

Whoa! I wouldn't put buds covered in concentrates like these into a grinder guys! You're gonna gunk up the grinder a little or a hell of a lot and the whole exercise will be stressful and counterproductive. The gunked grinder will also stick to and steal more and more resin via those sticky surfaces from every subsequent nug put into it!

The key with these kinds of nugs is that the resin must be spread evenly throughout the bud. Assuming this has been done by the manufacturer, all we do is simply cut up the nug reasonably fine (whatever works for your vape should be good!) quickly and firmly with clean, sharp scissors in a suitable narrow glass container (narrower/thinner blades help to a point, you want the blades strong/sharp enough to cut through the nug, but minimal surface area given to the tips of the blades so as not to encourage errl to stick to it). Don't handle the nug by hand and cut deftly as described above to avoid too much surface contact between blades and the concentrate all over your nug.

If the spread of the concentrate is even, this kind of nug packed into a convection vape is going to last a very long time and taste fantastic!

BTW with nugs like this, I find there is no need to vape at higher temps than what I would do flowers at!

Jethro

Wow, for once I'm not jealous of the high end designer stuff you people in legal states can buy. That stuff looks like more of a hassle to me than anything. I mean, the way you use oil and the way the you use flower are so different that this just seems like a dumb idea to me. Maybe it's just not for me.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Wow, for once I'm not jealous of the high end designer stuff you people in legal states can buy. That stuff looks like more of a hassle to me than anything. I mean, the way you use oil and the way the you use flower are so different that this just seems like a dumb idea to me. Maybe it's just not for me.
Really no different than sandwiching shatter in between cannabis and making a type of sandwich. That's one of my fav ways using shatter. The cannabis absorbs the shatter.

I use straight flowers most of the time. My preferred method to vaporize.

Last edited:

Jethro

I like to enjoy kief that way, I'm just used to using a grinder for everything and that could not happen with those moon rocks!

Jethro,
Reactions: j-bug

j-bug

I think I've said this before somewhere, but hopefully not in this forum,

Moonrocks or whatever a place is calling them are fantastic as a concept and a great thing for smokers with a high tolerance. For vaporists either dabbing or vaping dry herb is I think preferable. Though as @CarolKing pointed out above simply putting the various components of Moonrocks carefully into your vape can produce both wonderful flavor and fantastic effects. So if you want them, it's less expensive and probably less hassle to buy the parts and assemble it yourself inside your vape chamber. A stem packed with some nice ground herb some quality wax and a heavy sprinkling of keef on top is a wonderful occasional treat. Or a fun delivery method for some powerful medicine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom