Vaping bud vs making rosin from it

legalizeRO

The short question is: Is it really worth it?

And I'm not talking about the gear expenses, but the number of highs that you can achieve with the same material.
I already have a 3 year Plenty vaporizer, which I love so much that I will buy another when this ones breaks. I also have a enail+dab rig, for the reclaim that I take out from the Plenty's whip once a year.

I can do a rosin press myself from a hydraulic jack, 2 metal platforms and 4 big bolts. I'm not sure yet how I'll heat the plates( maybe I'll use the enail coil, or a torch), but 220F is not hard to reach, and in terms of accuracy I can use a very accurate infrared thermometer that I already have.

But is it worth it? I put half a gram in the Plenty and I get high at least 3 times.
4 draws and I'm high. I tried to keep taking hits and 8 is my record. I simply can't do more than that.
I know concentrates just in terms of reclaim, and for me is a one time draw, minus the terps, but it doesn't taste bad at all.

I've never dabbed rosin. Am I missing out?

Last edited:
legalizeRO,

mc

It's just different. If your T is low it will be similar cost wise. Think of it this way, 20% avg return means you need 5 grams to make 1 gram of rosin.

So how long does 5 grams of flower last you? And then figure out how long does a gram of rosin last.

For myself, it's about effect. i find flower makes me tired and worn out a lot more than wax does. In fact i find wax/rosin gives me everything I want without any of the negative effects. Also less smell and ease of use. I can take 1 hit vs a session, and no one even knows it happened. It's so convenient I simply don't touch flower anymore.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I am in a similar situation as OP

Will have soon a small/cheap rosin press but I am pretty sure it will be used occasionally as it seems to me flowers are easy to handle and they taste better (more fresh) but I am curious about effect of rosin

Andreaerdna,

mc

The taste of rosin is unmatched by anything, and way stronger than flower. And ont he DTv3, flavour town.

mc,

mc

I find the effects of bud more of a "complete" high than dabs/rosin. With the exception of hashish, concentrates, including rosin, feel to me to be lacking "soul".

This is true and sometimes I try flower again to capture that feeling then I quickly remember why I stopped in the first place. it comes with that worn out feeling. It's now the same to me as going from smoking to vaping flower, I just can't go back.

mc,
Reactions: Squiby

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It's just different. If your T is low it will be similar cost wise. Think of it this way, 20% avg return means you need 5 grams to make 1 gram of rosin.

So how long does 5 grams of flower last you? And then figure out how long does a gram of rosin last.

This is spot on. If you keep your tolerance low extracts will probably feel like a better value than flower. You can start going through a ton of material when your tolerance raises though.

The taste of rosin is unmatched by anything, and way stronger than flower. And ont he DTv3, flavour town.

I used to think this before I got my Flowerpot. Being able to crush a flower bowl in one rip is a game changer for flavor and effects. I was dabbing 100% and down to probably 10% or less. A few months ago I thought I would never go back to flower.

mc

I used to think this before I got my Flowerpot. Being able to crush a flower bowl in one rip is a game changer for flavor and effects. I was dabbing 100% and down to probably 10% or less. A few months ago I thought I would never go back to flower.

Don't you have to heat it up though? I need to be in and out of the room in 1 minute without a giant contraption sitting on my desk. I find it hard to believe there's a flower vape that can match this.

Also, I really don't like how couch locked I feel after vaping flower. I can dab all day and never get tired, but if I vape flower all day I'll be done in no time.

Also, I have a DBV, so I know how good flower can taste and it's still never going to match concentrates.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I'm going to be dipping my feet into the rosin making game with just a hair straightener. I'm sure I'll save my chips and vape those as well. I've been wondering if it's really worth it and I guess I'll find out if it is worth it for me.

legalizeRO

I used to think this before I got my Flowerpot.

This looks really good. Thanks for sharing. Maybe Plenty is not the last vaporizer I'll ever use.
The entire setup is a bit expensive, but since I already have the enail rig kit, all I need is... figuring out what part I need to buy. LOL

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Don't you have to heat it up though? I need to be in and out of the room in 1 minute without a giant contraption sitting on my desk. I find it hard to believe there's a flower vape that can match this.

Also, I really don't like how couch locked I feel after vaping flower. I can dab all day and never get tired, but if I vape flower all day I'll be done in no time.

Also, I have a DBV, so I know how good flower can taste and it's still never going to match concentrates.

I only turn it on and off once a day. If you're trying to be ultra discrete a desktop vaporizer is not ideal, no.

To me extracts have stronger flavors (due to the concentration of some terpenes) but not necessarily more complex flavors, since certain compounds are not carried over during the extraction process.

The beauty of the Flowerpot is being able to easily compare rosin and the same source material flower through the same device which I have done many times. It's pretty fun to mix them too.

I used to feel like I could dab all day and not get tired too, but eventually I felt like I could dab all day and not get very stoned either. I'm an all day user so YMMV. I do find rosin effects stronger than BHO but some of my friends don't agree.

No offense to the DBV but I'm not a fan of silicone whips at all, they definitely leach flavor.

This looks really good. Thanks for sharing. Maybe Plenty is not the last vaporizer I'll ever use.
The entire setup is a bit expensive, but since I already have the enail rig kit, all I need is... figuring out what part I need to buy. LOL

If you already have an enail and cable it's only like $150, crazy cheap. Less than many underwhelming portable conduction vaporizers.

mc

No offense to the DBV but I'm not a fan of silicone whips at all, they definitely leach flavor.

If you already have an enail and cable it's only like $150, crazy cheap. Less than many underwhelming portable conduction vaporizers.

I guess I should have mentioned I use a special whip and I also have a bunch of other flower vapes I just didn't mention. Maybe I'll have to try the flowerpot but I don't use my enail during the day, as mentioned above, but I don't mind leaving something on for the evening.

mc,

shredder

I'm not sure why anyone would always be 100% flowers or rosin. Why not both?

I mostly use rosin in an enail and in a mighty, or with a dynavap for a hit and quit. But occasionally and maybe more just lately I've been using a dynavap with herb. It's a nice change. And as a caregiver I'm kind of obligated to sample all the products I help others with.

And with the small load size I'm not getting that tired dragged out feeling talked about in this thread. Of course I'm not getting totally wasted, but then I micro dose with concentrates as well. I guess my medical conditions are treated pretty well with small dose sizes. I'm human so I do over indulge at times tho, mostly in a social situation.

If I know I'm going to be doing some physical work that probably will cause me pain I use a cbd herb or rosin by itself or mixed with a higher thc variety. I'll also use this post exercise too. It helps me work harder longer since I feel better.

shredder

...because concentrates give me an anxious, agitated feeling. I will pick flower 100% of the time over any concentrate, in fact I will always pass on the concentrates, but that is just me.

:2c:

Any idea why? Too much too fast maybe? How about medibles?

shredder,
Reactions: steama

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Well, I am thinking at this point that making my own rosin is not efficient enough for my budget and I think straight flower will have to do.
I did get a small amount of rosin and it was pretty colored. I added it to some cotton and vaped it, and it wasn't much vapor really at all but it packed a hit. And then it was gone. My tool is not very good for scraping up the sticky goo, which means it got smeared all over the place, lessening my return of course. That was two nugs which would last me at least two days as flower. I was able to salvage the pucks as flavorless mild herb to vaporize.

It was a fun experiment, but I'll stick to flowers for a while. I'll definitely get a better scraping tool before trying again.

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: Squiby

PPN

Volute of Vapor
In term of effect's amount that's better to vape your flowers since all extraction methods inducing some losses, although concentrates get some advantages:
- ease of use in public
- big effects in a short time
- clouds production (it depends...) but I like to mix some kief/oil/reclaim for bigger more satisfying clouds
- Taste... it depends the process, the maker, the strain... and your own preferences!
- Smoother vapor... it depends too! I found an enail to be slightly harsher but used with a lot of good quality wax pens at the right setting vapor is very smooth (I posted in another thread I like to use my Torch(with a rig) and Trinity Tank (dry) when I'm sick since I never cough using them).

This my 2 cents... but I vape 90% flowers and 10%CC actually but want to increase my CC consumption in order to be able to quit combustion TOTALLY!

Top Bottom