vaping as expectorant / decongestant

SecretStoner

Hello ents,

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same results that i have had when it comes to using MJ as a natural decongestant or expectorant. I was hoping there was maybe some kind of scientific explanation behind all of this.

For me, it seems when I vape with my mflb using the slow inhale/nose inhale method, i feel hot air traveling through my sinus'. I can actually feel it loosening my sinus congestion as i'm inhaling. When combusting, i've found that the carcinogens and ash and such get caught in the mucus, making it worse for your chest/bronchial areas, and because its so heavy, it never seems to come up. However, when i vape, i always seem to cough. But it seems like a productive cough, as opposed to an unproductive cough when combusting. Its the same as taking mucinex, IMHO. vaping naturally makes me cough, and when it does, i cough up what shouldn't be in me. Combusting just adds to the problem. Tack another point on for vape.

SS

SecretStoner,

djonkoman

I've read thc is indeed an expectorant. I don't notice it that much except when it freezes outside, I've already been outside for a while and my whole nose is clogged up, and then I take a hit of my stone combustion pipe, clears it up right away(and because of the cold the stone cools down so that the first bowl is really smooth)

djonkoman,

tuscan tins

It works fantastically! From the first hit of a fresh trench with my mflb, I can feel my entire sinus system clear up. magic medecine :brow:

tuscan tins,
Some BHO hits make my nose run so much I can't breathe and gag in the morning and have to yak. So it is a double edged sword.

biojuggernaut,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Depends on what you are vaping .. Mullein,salvia apeana,cat mint,sweet root,all the mint family,
KUDZU fruit (tastes like chocolate).... are good to go IMO. Anyway there is a very simple solution to you nose problems.. Have you tried flushing your nose with saline ? What i do is to put a tea spoon of himalaya salt into boiled water (250-300 ml) You can drop with an eye dropper into nose ,i pesonally use a straw, i dip it in the water put my finger on the other end so water don't leak , i look up and release the fluid from the straw in my nose.. You can actually feel it traveling to your throat..
NOTE: Don't get panic if you get blood in your phlegm.. This is an old blood stucked in the sinuses.. It is normal.. All the colors you have into your nose...it will show it you :p...

Abysmal Vapor,

kobetan

I've been lurking this forum for a while and decided to register just to post in this thread:

I'd been vaping in a chinese whip vaporizer for a year or so and was very very happy with it. The only thing that worried me was the lack of a metal screen to filter out the bud so I ended up putting some in the whip to stop some plant material from going through the entire whip up to my mouth. Time passed and eventually the whip got a little cut which I fixed with some duct tape and continued to vape until a few weeks later I found myself with an horrible sound coming from my lungs every time I breathed. I blamed the bong I was using to smoke while my vaporizer was broken (I don't smoke cigarettes and joints just occasionally so I'm not used to the smoke) so I gave it little importance, hoping for my lungs to clean themselves. Days passed and the noise didn't disappear and actually it became more and more loud (at that time I was vaping in the vaporizer again). Well, the thing is that I decided to use weed's bronchodilator properties to deep clean my lungs of whatever was blocking it. So, I bought a jar of herbal expectorant medicine (Hedera Helix) and started drinking it daily, a couple of times a day. In the third day, I started using the weed to dilate the bronchi (or bronchis? english is not my native language xD), using an Extreme Q which I had just bought (very nice vaporizer, btw).

Short story: the expectorant + bronchodilator combo of using the hedera + weed made me throw out of my lungs a couple of little plastic pieces that had made their way from the cut in the whip (hot air flowing through it must have teared apart little pieces of plastic from the cut) plus a HUGE amount of deep green phlegm, plus some tiny little traces of buds (I used a 60X optic magnifying glass to check what the hell was coming out of my body :s). I kept throwing all this garbage for like two or three weeks and in the end I counted five 4-5 millimeters pieces of plastic, countless little traces of tar (I can tell it was tar because it looked like little black spots of dense dust under the magnifying glass) and some bud traces. Some days, when I thought I was finally clean, I would throw a little (very very little) piece of plastic followed by a huge brown dense and disgusting phlegm and mucus which I think were being blocked by the plastic.

Now my lungs are very clean, no noise when I breathe, no tar, no plastic pieces, no bud traces, no nothing except for some light greenish mucus appearing from time to time but I think it is normal (nothing suspicious under the magnifying glass). In conclusion, yes, cannabis is an excellent bronchodilator, so potent it is, that more than a few times I got scared of being "over coughing" and thus damaging my lungs or something like that, but then I realized it was just me being very stoned hahaha.

I highly recommend doing this cleansing from time to time.

Edit:
My technique: five minutes of very deep and slow breathing to move the phlegm inside the lungs, followed by a strong cough to move it further up and finally out of my mouth. The cough is tricky because one can easily end up just scratching and irritating the throat instead of actually pulling out mucus out.

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
kobetan said:
Edit:
My technique: five minutes of very deep and slow breathing to move the phlegm inside the lungs, followed by a strong cough to move it further up and finally out of my mouth. The cough is tricky because one can easily end up just scratching and irritating the throat instead of actually pulling out mucus out of the lungs.
IME a warm/hot steamy shower always helps me to retrieve phlegm much easier. Whenever I get in the shower and I'm exposed to the humidity, the phlegm removal process is jump started.

Deadhead101,

Bouldorado

biojuggernaut said:
Some BHO hits make my nose run so much I can't breathe and gag in the morning and have to yak. So it is a double edged sword.

I've noticed this as well, not to the extent of vomiting, but a good oil hit will definitely cause my nose to run. Also, this effect seems most prevalent when the bho is your first thc intake of the day.

Bouldorado,
Top Bottom