• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vaping and Unemployment, Questions

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I believe I have learned a new way of thinking, or, I believe I have re-framed the issue of drugs and cannabis for ADHD people like myself, so this is a reality check against your experiences (please just experience answers, not opinions based on the dominant narratives of our culture - I already know what the range of those are).

The dominant narrative around drugs and cannabis in our culture go something like these:
Drugs are bad, m'kay? (and people who do them are bad or making poor choices)
Pot heads just want to get high
People do drugs because they just want to get high
We'll do anything to keep doing what we want (sounds like politics)

I believe, from my new understanding about dopamine, that these are more up-to-date narratives:
People who don't/cannot access their Reward System self-medicate
People with ADHD use cannabis, instead of speed or coke, as a Harm Reduction program
People who use cannabis MAY "learn" to be less focused than they normally are, or not, but IT doesn't prevent doing stuff, and is not the cause of their brain-chemistry (it's more like it's just along for the ride)
The ADHD brain-chemistry IS a big factor in staying on task, much more so than cannabis

So, comment on those if you like, but the real questions, from the viewpoint of the updated narratives, are:

A.) Does cannabis use create or prolong unemployment in the current economy and job market?
B.) Has cannabis use prevented you from getting a job in this economy?

My ex-wife says she divorced me because I was always getting high, and says i didn't get a job because I was getting high.

In the past two days I've gotten calls from ten agencies trying to fill one job, which i might get (second phone screen Monday). (It's only a 3 month contract gig.)

I did not update my resume recently. I did not apply online for this job. My resume has been on the same two boards for the past two years.

I tried to save money, and avoided building a computer capable of running the new version of the software I work with - until four months ago. Wanted to build one two years ago, but my ex said we didn't have enough money.

My thinking has become clearer over the past two years, somewhat, but I've also become better able to create and use my dopamine (even without medication prescribed about a year ago).

I cut down on vaping to once every two weeks, mostly to avoid running out completely. I still have difficulty studying and using the new computer.

My ex says my memory hasn't improved, but asked if I told the agency that i've smoked for the past two years, so obviously she still believes that was the problem.

So, I asked her, "are you so arrogant as to believe that all the people smoking pot caused the companies to ship their jobs overseas?" and "do you believe I got these ten calls because I stopped smoking pot?" (I've already told her I was looking for work throughout the last two years)

For the first year I noticed only short-term work, but couldn't take it because of mortgage assistance from our lender, then noticed programming had become part of the requirements (and thought I had to wait to get the same pay to afford the mortgage).

I believe another dominant narrative from our televisions, is that cannabis creates problems, but I have come to think it's a symptom not a cause...I think the reason i was using everyday was not just habit or dependance, but was really because I wasn't getting something I needed and didn't know what that something was (until I started focusing on the dopamine element of the equation).

Sorry to ask such convoluted questions, it's like I have to teach you a new way of thinking, since everyone's brain-washed...sometimes now I really feel like I'm an alien, with a different language and beliefs from everyone else (and I can only think, 'nobody wants to talk to someone who believes the other person is getting it wrong at some basic level,' 'nobody wants to hire someone who believes they are an asshole.'

so, am I just writing another piece of my personal fiction or asking an honest question? i don't know

10 calls in two days, seems like there just weren't jobs before...and I'll be lucky to get this one, but am hoping everyone else is already working so maybe they're desperate - i always was one of the last children picked for a team in school.

VWFringe,

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
My advice is just find a job, one that you can handle without being miserable about it. I dont know about your skills or experience, but just go for something that will keep you busy and you will learn from. Income. On your off time though, you can do and think whatever the F you want, bro! :)

I'm a college grad but I currently work as a cook, and at first I hated this job. Id think about it whenever I wasnt there, how much I hated it and shit. But ive gotten used to it, and proven myself fully capable. So for me, I just stay here and keep workin for those paychecks (and hopefully save a lot since I have that opportunity right now) and once I really start to get sick of this job I'll look for a better one!

All you gotta do is start somewhere, put in the time and effort, and you find yourself on the never ending road of improvement!

Cereal_MF,
Reactions: GOATPUSSY
had to read this post twice, though I wrote it myself :p

I will say that cannabis use didn't motivate me to go out and find a job. I was quite content spending days at a time vaping. But it's not hindering my current job performance any either.
My advice is just find a job, one that you can handle without being miserable about it. I dont know about your skills or experience, but just go for something that will keep you busy and you will learn from. Income. On your off time though, you can do and think whatever the F you want, bro! :)

I'm a college grad but I currently work as a cook, and at first I hated this job. Id think about it whenever I wasnt there, how much I hated it and shit. But ive gotten used to it, and proven myself fully capable. So for me, I just stay here and keep workin for those paychecks (and hopefully save a lot since I have that opportunity right now) and once I really start to get sick of this job I'll look for a better one!

All you gotta do is start somewhere, put in the time and effort, and you find yourself on the never ending road of improvement!

kingofnull,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I didn't get the gig, but have been getting calls for others in SD and LA, and am (finally) saying yes to the recruiters for those that are 70 miles away.

For the first year and a half I held out for something that paid as well due to our mortgage, then the HAMP program started to work it's way into my consciousness, but i still thought I needed something that paid as well...but, there were so many times she told me to not pursue jobs either because they were too far away, or wouldn't allow me to attend to our daughter.

And, for several years i avoided getting my car fixed due to our finances (ie an effective mortgage payment of $3600/month) and the fact I was working remote - that really screwed me, now I'll probably lose that car (even though I'd put nine grand into it, along with my own sweat equity of building the engine and chassis up).

My life at fire-sale prices, all enabled by the divorce system and through Capital's punishment of Labor. Jeez, well, at least my new found friends called the Left cared enough to clue me in to a lot of what's going on in my head (the ADHD) and what's going on around the world (DemocracyNow.org) - It really has been a life-changing experience...but now I'm ready to get back to work and be helpful, but lack some important resources for doing that. hehe

My ability to access my dopamine has increased (working on the natural pathways through relationships with our pets and daughter, and through short meditations that borrow from my previous experience with prayer), and more importantly my ability to reflect on and weed out the "secondary" dopamine pathways I had developed (like anger and self-righteousness) and other adaptations I'd developed in response to the condition.

I kind of wish I'd responded to the divorce now, but know I didn't have a leg to stand on - so will wait until I have a job.

Turns out she was supposed to do a QDRO that would have given me half her 401k (which she started in secret)...but she's dragging her feet, so that's possibly months away. If I'd had that money I might have a car and job by now.

It really looks more and more like i will end up on a park bench (and getting arrested for it) somewhere in Santa Ana, hoping for a cot in one of the two homeless shelters that's always full. And, that worry, and her threats, just make it harder to concentrate on what I need to be doing to update my skill-set.

sorry, hehe, this economy and my situation, kind of suck,

Add to that I was kicked out of high school, denied an education, and denied the proper context or understanding of my underlying needs and condition due to this culture's media's dysfunctional agenda setting role, and how it projects a dysfunctional model of narratives that aren't updated to include the latest science or reality.

VWFringe,
Reactions: mscm888
Top Bottom