vaping and diabetes

dadesign

this might seem weird to ask but maybe someone has the same problem.

diabetes runs in my family but I suspected it had been over diagnosed. at least until now. I have been using my sister in laws meter and ave checked it three separate times. has been 280,292, and today 316. I suspected it a while back as i have had all the symptoms int he past few years one at a time. I was tested officially about 5 years ago. well it seems I would probably have developed into the point where it is a problem now and I am going to see the doctor for it soon. turns out when it is high like now, well I really feel awful. it certainly does explain alot too.

these days ,if controlled, it is really manageable from what i am told.

but the questions are related to MJ.

first can it affect the reading? I doubt a false reading but i hear it lowers it or raises it abit so I thought maybe it is making it wacky

second should I disclose I have been using it? could it be doing things to me. I know getting the munchies probably doesn't help it but I have been really controlling it as of late. not much in the way of junk food

third, could it(vaping or MJ) have caused it? I have heard some things in life will make it(diabetes) come out to where it is a problem

fourth, afterwards can I still do it? to be honest it is not doing much for me anymore like it used to. but I also have only done say one stem as where I used to do two...trying to conserve it. but I don't want to give it up unless it will really cause problems. obviously the best advice would be from a doctor but I thought maybe someone else has been there before

and finally, does anyone do it to help with symptoms. I heard some do it but it hurts it because they forget to check it

any insight would be appreciated

dadesign,

Beezleb

I am a diabetic.

First, when did you take your blood sugar? Check in the morning before you eat or drink or anything and if you should eat or drink wait 1/2 hour at least before checking it.

Weed does not really affect your diabetes. It can drop your blood sugar but is sorta rare. If this happens you just take some sugar.

I do not believe it is an issue to speak the doc on, about the weed.

Beezleb,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
DeepFried,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I remember your cold tea thread Dadesign, and how much sugar you put in your drink...it was mad.

However did Beezleb mean you could talk to the doctor and it wouldn't be an issue?

On a side note i have a chronic illness, and i tell the doctors to make sure my medication would not be affected by it. They don't care and its all confidential.

Happycamper,

Beezleb

I mean it is not really a medical issue to talk to the doc about. As soon as you do, it goes in your medical record and could mean other issues for you later on with things such as transplants, insurance and whatnot. It is not as confidential as you may think.

Beezleb,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Beezleb is right, from experience keep it off your medical records if you can as it can come back to haunt you later.

DeepFried,

dadesign

Happycamper said:
I remember your cold tea thread Dadesign, and how much sugar you put in your drink...it was mad.

However did Beezleb mean you could talk to the doctor and it wouldn't be an issue?

On a side note i have a chronic illness, and i tell the doctors to make sure my medication would not be affected by it. They don't care and its all confidential.
yes since then i have only put in one cup but then I switched to drinking green tea with honey in it. now I am mostly drinking ice water. I have changed alot of things since that was posted. not because of that but it will help

i think I have told them before when they asked.

i wont mention it unless he asks

i have checked it in the morning before eating..it was 240 this morning feel better then yesterday as then i felt like I got beat up with a ballbat....slowly

dadesign,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I thought after posting, it's probably a different situation because im in the UK, and also because of the illness i have. My own doctor does not even know about my illness, until I choose to tell him.

Happycamper,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I am a "Type 2 - Adult onset" diabetic, too. The average adult onset diabetic isn't diagnosed, they say, until they've had the disease 10 years or so. I lucked out. I've had yearly medical exams since I was 40 yrs old, and they found mine early on. Untreated diabetes can cause severe complications.

Your best bet is to attend a formal diabetic class to learn more about it, and the simple things you can do to control it. In my area, the local hospital had a class with dietitians and nurses. It is not a static disease; it changes over time and it is good to know what to look for. For example, diabetics are prone to nerve damage (nueropathy) that effects our extremities first. I consciously check my feet in the shower for areas with no feeling when I wash them. Your glucose readings seem very high to me.

Are you familiar with Usenet or Google Groups? There is a support group I found to be very instructive over all. It's "alt.support.diabetes", and it can't hurt to check it out. Additionally there is much good info on the net for those that seek it.

I just noticed I answered none of your questions. I've never read anything (other than the muchie problem previouse discussed) that proscribe MJ for diabetics, and I've done a lot of looking. Feel free to vape at will. I notice no blood discrepencies. I afraid I'd have to die if they tried to make me give up coffee and vaping.

May your HBA1C's be in the 5% (normal) range.

macbill,
Top Bottom