Vaping After Wisdom Teeth Removal

taggs

Cameron
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've hung around these forums but I come to you in a time of dire need!

I'm getting three wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow under a general anaesthetic and I'm wondering what the repercussions of this would be in regard to vaping. It's strongly recommended not to smoke after the surgery as it obviously increases the risks of infection, if you mix with tobacco the nicotine causes blood vessels to constrict meaning longer healing times etc. But I'm finding it quite hard to find any marijuana specific information - particularly with respects to vaping as we all know this mitigates most of the damage that smoking would cause.

Now I'm not stupid - I wouldn't take anything on this forum to constitute legitimate medical advice but I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with vaping after this procedure, or any mouth/facial surgery for that matter. Any insights or comments would also be more than welcome.

edit: a quick search has brought up this thread from 2008: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=98 but any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all, and happy vaping :D

taggs,

Nycdeisel

Im pretty sure that in this case, its a matter of getting dry sockets(which could later become infected), which I believe is because of sucking, whether it be smoking, vaporizing, or using a straw. I could be wrong though.

Nycdeisel,

Beezleb

dry sockets are one of the worst feelings I ever had. I would not vaporizer or smoke until healed. I would look to eat it or take via tincture during this time.

Beezleb,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
dry sockets are horrifyingly painful - if you even breathe across them you feel it in your bones.

i wouldn't risk it. it is the sucking action that dislodges the clots. found this out AFTER my four dry sockets got terribly infected after my dumb ass smoked.

my cheeks were inflated to the point that i was scaring children because i looked so frightening. 3 rounds of ABX later, and still no change.

on the upside, when this happened, i used lavender essential oil to heal the infection and that was my AH-HA moment that got me studying aromatherapy.

just figure out a way to ingest if you can. worst case scenario, maybe a fan assisted whip or even from a bag that is being shotgunned may reduce the suckyness.

herbgirl,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
One thing you can also consider, that I've seen other people do with teeth that have been taken out, is to take the hit through the nose. This way you totally bypass your mouth. Just make sure you close off your mouth when inhaling so you don't put any back pressure into your mouth.
Dry Socket is a horrible thing to go through. So i would say if you got some ABV, make some edibles. Or you can try takin your hit in through the nose. If you do take the hit through the nose, be aware that it may make you sneeze 10-20 minutes or so after your session, if not right away.

DevoTheStrange,

danalee48

I agree with the nose! It seems a bit unconventional, but it was the method I used when I had my wisdom teeth removed/complete oral overhaul. I had far more surgery on that day than just my wisdom teeth and T3's make it so that I can't sleep. Thus, vapor up the nose was my option! lol

danalee48,

SmokingElectricity

maybe if you had a bag vape you might be okay...

but i got a dry socket from not waiting to blaze and it hurt like a bitch. i would at least wait 48 hours before trying anything.

SmokingElectricity,

messiah

I smoked cigarettes after mine, but I was very careful when I did, and didn't do it often.

I say use a bag vape. Its not like you are creating suction. Its more like simple breathing this way. When done, salt water rinse for good measure.

messiah,

rtwoite

I would be more worried about lingering anaesthetic. Probably not an issue but. I inhaled oh so gently after mine came out. I only had local. Helped with the pain, but I didn't have much pain. My face didn't do the chipmunk thing since they were grown in pretty good. Lest I sound cocky every wisdom tooth had a massive cavity in it and one of them was just a shell. It was hollow according to the xray. I was in writhing pain prior to the surgery.

Coughing was a problem with the stitches, some of them came out but I still healed up.

rtwoite,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
back when i got my wisdom teeth out (all four were compacted) i just kept smoking as usual. this was before my vaporizer days but it should be about the same. you will get a little syringe thing to spray salt water into the holes in your gums so dry sockets shouldnt be an issue. just spray it after vaping.

gettin lifted,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
gettin lifted, i did the syringe thing exactly as i was supposed to. and it was still a huge problem.

it really is the pressure that the sucking creates, not that the sockets are actually 'dry'. that pressure pulls the clots out of their place and exposes the nerves. i was very gentle and only smoked a few cigs, and did a few bong hits, but all four ended up with dry sockets. i would not wish that pain on my worst enemy.

it was the ONLY postop rule i did not follow.

herbgirl,
Whoa, you smoked cigs and did bong loads while still at risk for dry sockets? I would of never done that.

I actually borrowed (and eventually purchased) the volcano from a friend when I had my wisdom teeth out, a bag blower vape I think is a great solution to your problem as vapor is obviously far less toxin-ridden than smoke and the bag system make for almost literally NO suction. You can just open the valve and even crush the balloon if you liked, forcing vapor out through the nozzle to your lips. Or you could nose it, but good god put that mouthpiece in some alcohol afterward.

If you wake up feeling fine and they're trying to force some opiate-based pain killer down your throat, REFUSE. The vicodin they gave me after surgery was completely unnecessary and made me violently ill. That's what I need post-op, to be vomiting blood into a toilet for 2 hours while that shit gets out of my system.

If nausea is a problem postop, carbonated water (hey, beer maybe) is a surefire remedy to an upset stomach.

Make sure you trust your dentist or that a nurse will be in room the whole time, don't forget these people have a high rate of sexual deviancy and some have gotten in trouble for molesting patients. :brow: Might get lucky and not know it.

charliedontsurf,

mlo4sho

It is essentially up to you, but I would advise that you do not smoke/vape for at least 48 hours after the operation, as mentioned. I smoked (cigarettes, blunts) almost as soon as I got out, but I consider myself very lucky I did not get 'dry socket' and not to mention I was so careful it almost was not enjoyable. Honestly, just wait, the wait is better than the risk of having such a horrible pain in your mouth. I know it may sound tough, but not everyone is as lucky as I was. You don't want to involve yourself with anything.... involving suction of the mouth (Austin Powers moment) "Allow myself to introduce... myself" :2c:

mlo4sho,

taggs

Cameron
Thanks for the responses guys.

Making edibles isn't an option due to my accommodation situation and neither I nor anyone I know has a bag vape (I use a SSV, also had a PD but somehow managed to break the fucker ><)

Looks like I'd better be good for at least 48 hours, possibly longer. Everyone who has ever had dry socket seems to strongly recommend avoiding it if possible - it surely does not sound like fun :)

edit: Though the nose is a novel idea! But I still might give that a miss for the first 48h as I would imagine an unexpected or unlucky sneeze could possibly dislodge stitches and cause bleeding. Might be a smart move to play it safe with this one.

Thanks again, everyone!

taggs,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
charlie, I was 17 and stupid. i have no other explanation :uhoh: :lol:

wise decision taggs. it's only 48 hours
don't be a dumbass like me ;)

herbgirl,

taggs

Cameron
So my self control wasn't what I thought it was!

Have used my SSV twice since the surgery - once at t + 36h, again at t + 48 or so. Both times I inhaled and exhaled through the nose. Packed them a little smaller and looser to be on the safe side. Worked a treat! No problems whatsoever.

That's not to say it's not a risk free endeavour, but it went ok for me.

Happy vaping all!

taggs,
Top Bottom