• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VapeXhale heater mods

lazylathe

Almost there...
An update for today!

I turned the unit up to 12 O'Clock and it is even better!
A will post before and after pics in a bit.
Flavor on the first pull is intense and then it drops off very quickly.
A very enjoyable few sessions at higher vamping temps!
Very medicated now…

The only new finding to report is that the casing gets warm at this dial setting.
Not hot or anything, just a very nice hand warmer!

The strain is called MadShack and is very good!

Before
2013-12-30161107_zps523cee04.jpg

After, the pile on the top is what it looked like after a few pulls.
The one below was the next load, much smaller and the unit was nice and warm.
As you can see it is effectively vaped for me, it could still go further but i was defeated...
2013-12-30184317_zps1bb96d64.jpg

lazylathe

Almost there...
I am not sure what you guys don't get here…
This was a mod to get a broken unit up and running.
In no way is it better, more efficient etc than an original Cloud.

I have said numerous times i do not go for dark brown ABV, never.
The temp range i have now is very effective for me and i am very happy with what i managed to pull off here, the first successful Cloud mod that actually lets you use the unit to some of it's potential.

Also take into account that these heaters are meant to be used on large, thick metal plates not a thin glass tube. So they get hotter than they should and i do not know the longevity of the fix.
When i turn up the heat too much the silicone heater smokes very slightly so i go to just before it starts to smoke, just before 12.
I may turn it up some more and let it cook for a bit to see if the smoking disappears.
It was pretty bad at first but after a few burn ins it went away, it only comes back at hotter temps.

For me it is perfect for my needs.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Seeing the inside of the cloud has given me an idea for a fix or potentially my own clumped together vape. I may have to give it go at some point. Thanks for sharing the pics of the innards.

EDIT: Do you know what the specs on the heating pad are? Basically top temp and wattage? Thanks.

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Seeing the inside of the cloud has given me an idea for a fix or potentially my own clumped together vape. I may have to give it go at some point. Thanks for sharing the pics of the innards.

EDIT: Do you know what the specs on the heating pad are? Basically top temp and wattage? Thanks.

The highest temp range is around 250 Degrees Celsius, so hot enough for our needs.
If i remember these heaters were 30 Watts at 110V
I just emailed them my specs and they did the rest, very easy.

Just finished a session with the Herbie, amazing again!
But the important thing to note was that at the top temp of the Herbie the ABV i got was the same colour as the ones above.

lazylathe,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Decided to give the Herbie a rest tonight so i fired up this beast!

Loaded a 1/4 full ELB, placed a layer of trim screen hash into the lid of the ELB and push another ELB lid on top! Strain used was 18 month slow cured MadShack, smells like cat pee but kicks like a donkey!

I even turned the temp down a bit, that's right DOWN!
And boy was that a fun session!!!
Loads of super thick clouds and pretty decent flavour!
The hash is the top was gone but the herb was still a light green.
I was pretty medicated and i still needed to shovel the driveway…
That was not fun…

This bad boy is not going anywhere!

lazylathe

Almost there...
How does your modded compare with the regular cloud +

If i had to choose between the two, i think i would go with my modded one.
It heated up much faster and i think the longer heated air path made a big difference.
2 minute heat up to nice vapor is something the original heater on mine cannot do.

It did not really brown the herb but when i vaped the ELB contents in my PD log there was one small whispy cloud that tasted like burnt popcorn, so i know it was doing a really good job.
Also the modded one did not make the top half of the Cloud unbearable to hold. If it was left on for an extended time it would get quite warm but not burning.

The only downside was the smell initially but after a few burn offs it was gone and it tastes just like the original one does now.

Don't get me wrong the original is great and i will keep using it until it breaks or dies.
I really want to try it with a HT as the vapor is really hot and since owning Herbie i have gotten used to cool vapor.

lazylathe

Almost there...
After using the original heater in the Cloud a few times i think they are actually pretty close in performance for me.
I have not ventured past the NOON position and have achieved evenly golden ABV.
I would have to turn ther dial up to get the dark ABV but i do not like the taste at that temp.

What i find odd is that i can turn the unit on and let it heat up for 10 to 15 minutes at NOON and then after a 5 to 10 minute session the top of the Cloud is just nice and warm, not hot at all.
How long do you usually have to leave it on for; in order for the top portion to become hot like everyone else experiences?
So far after about 40 minutes mine just stays warm right at the top, maybe i insulated it better with the supplied material?

JCat

Accessory Maker
I think the heating mat isn't bad ... but I'd actually like to see a coil heater as a viable replacement ... (would support higher temperatures)

Although the longer heating surface of the heating mat might improve the performance to a degree, having a heater down in the electronics cavity makes me nervous and I would prefer if the heater was isolated to the top cavity ... just some thoughts ... I have a dead Cloud+ I'm looking for a decent replacement heater for (since everything is fine apart from the heater and I enjoy tinkering with this stuff :))

olivianewtonjohn

I think the heating mat isn't bad ... but I'd actually like to see a coil heater as a viable replacement ... (would support higher temperatures)

Although the longer heating surface of the heating mat might improve the performance to a degree, having a heater down in the electronics cavity makes me nervous and I would prefer if the heater was isolated to the top cavity ... just some thoughts ... I have a dead Cloud+ I'm looking for a decent replacement heater for (since everything is fine apart from the heater and I enjoy tinkering with this stuff :))
Well if you find a coil heater that looks like a viable candidate go for it! If you need tips for disassembly you can PM me or I'm sure the expert lazyvape could give helpful tips (as he did for me).

I think this thread will be successful if we take the spirit of what lazyvape has accomplished. That DIY spirit

EDIT: Keep in mind you can buy custom sizes of the heater mat

Last edited:
olivianewtonjohn,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Madcap79,

JCat

Accessory Maker
I'm not sure ... I don't know that much about this (I know enough to measure the voltage on the output of my circuit on my dead Cloud+ and the resistance across the heater which shows me the heater is dead and the Cloud+ electronics are fine since they put out voltage as expected) ... I also know enough to be able to solder in/install any replacement heater ... just have to find a good replacement! I'm sure a lot of Cloud owners would be pretty happy if we found a more durable, equally safe/functional, heater replacement for when the factory one dies.

lazylathe

Almost there...
If there is enough interest i will try and contact some makers of mini coil heaters that may work.
Just have to get the correct diameter for the bamboo.

Anyone with a Cloud+ want to measure for me?

Top Bottom