• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vapes on Planes - Traveling With Vaporizers

Vapor4me

Before returning, I wipe the capsules clean with ISO/q-tips.

Do you mean the gel capsules? What's the point? why not just dispose? I have used them in the past, but if filled with fresh herb, they will smell, less so (but still) with already vaped material (great for making a quick edible with a gel capsule).

litrhino

I know on Canada-Wide flights marijuana is A-Okay, so whether you have to clean your vape or not it doesn't matter. No issues with anything, unless you have a full suitcase full, then maybe. ;)

"CASTA, the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority are saying that starting next week, it will be possible to bring weed with you on an airplane when arriving to Canada, without having to worry about getting arrested." and "The change only goes into effect October 1st 2017".

Source: https://www.mtlblog.com/whats-happening/you-can-bring-marijuana-with-you-on-airplanes-in-canada

With that being said, US Customs & Border Patrol don't care if the vape has been used with marijuana or not, as long as they suspect or are in a bad mood they can definitely seize your vape.

-This most likely doesn't apply to US domestic flights/domestic shipments, but I am not sure.

A Reddit user from Canada shipped out a grasshoppervape to the US for warranty repair and it got seized.
The individual may have labeled the package as a "dry herb vaporizer", which is why it got seized, but this is just speculation. Better to label it as aromatherapy, or essential oils diffuser.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/5uhyg8/warranty_return_seized_at_border/

rogrog

Do you mean the gel capsules? What's the point? why not just dispose? I have used them in the past, but if filled with fresh herb, they will smell, less so (but still) with already vaped material (great for making a quick edible with a gel capsule).

no. the glass capsules for the firewood 4

gunmetalshark

Glass Addict
I´ve been to Bora Bora, Seychells, LA, Netherlands, Spain etc. and took my Mighty everywhere with me,
during flights always in hand luggage and NEVER had a problem...its clean on the flight to my holiday destination and pretty gummed up on the way home...never cared for cleaning lol :)
Going to Curacau in a few days and guess who´s coming with me :D :D :D

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Legal and medical markets have evolved... Who here is still flying with vapes? What do you travel with?

Omnivaps travel so well, but I tend to leave the others at home (Ghost, eNano, MiniVap, etc.).
I was excited to travel with Ambit but it does carry a little much stink with it.

stinkytofus

I would carry ghost plus some 99% iso anyday, dont gota deal with torches, worse i lose or break it, no big deal when i back hits will be stronger lol

stinkytofus,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

thestallion69

I plan on taking my Mighty from the UK to Italy and back. The idea is to clean it with isopropyl alcohol before each boarding. Moreover, to only carry the battery on the carry-on and throw the Cooling Unit + accessories in the checked luggage. What do you think? I should be able to get all the smell out of the battery, and anyway I can say it's for phytotherapeutic vaporizing or vaping CBD, I know for sure from experience (did full Airside security training) that in airports they don't look for drugs, so I don't think they'd bother for a vape.

Would you take it out of the carry-on and put it in the tray or just leave it in the bag?

Oh, by the way I'm referring to a Mighty :)

thestallion69,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I plan on taking my Mighty from the UK to Italy and back. The idea is to clean it with isopropyl alcohol before each boarding. Moreover, to only carry the battery on the carry-on and throw the Cooling Unit + accessories in the checked luggage. What do you think? I should be able to get all the smell out of the battery, and anyway I can say it's for phytotherapeutic vaporizing or vaping CBD, I know for sure from experience (did full Airside security training) that in airports they don't look for drugs, so I don't think they'd bother for a vape.

Would you take it out of the carry-on and put it in the tray or just leave it in the bag?

Oh, by the way I'm referring to a Mighty :)
A Splinter or ModPod makes a much better travel vape, throw a stem in a baggies with Iso and rinse and it's 100% clean. Separate the Mod and the attachment and you have pretty innocent looking gear.

hoptimum

A Splinter or ModPod makes a much better travel vape, throw a stem in a baggies with Iso and rinse and it's 100% clean. Separate the Mod and the attachment and you have pretty innocent looking gear.

Agreed. My first rule of boarding is not to give security anything to think about. They probably see dozens of ecigs and box mods every day.

thestallion69

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in the UK 9 months a year basically, I considered the idea of buying a new vaporizer and leaving it in Italy but why would I do that to then leave the device getting dust. Moreover, being a Mighty owner (I only tried PAX 3, Flowermate V5.0 PRO & Volcano, and a few other unpopular ones), I’m afraid that whatever I’d buy is going to disappoint me. That’s why I reached the conclusion of just carrying the Mighty home for these 2 months. The PAX 3 & other portables didn’t help me at all, while the Mighty literally saved my lungs, later I “learned” to appreciate the aforementioned better, but I still know that those vapes won’t keep me satisfied on the long run. If you have other suggestions on how to deal with this situation I’d love to hear them! I’d be really excited to try new vapes, but I also have to think about how to make the purchase sensible, and not let it get dusty!

Anyway, I had a look at the Splinter & ModPod. The idea is amazing, how does performance and quality of vapor compare to some of the vapes I mentioned? Also, I currently have a 2x21700 mod where I vape (nicotine), it's an amazing mod but it has shitty TC. Could I get the full potential out of them by just using wattage/voltage mode?

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in the UK 9 months a year basically, I considered the idea of buying a new vaporizer and leaving it in Italy but why would I do that to then leave the device getting dust. Moreover, being a Mighty owner (I only tried PAX 3, Flowermate V5.0 PRO & Volcano, and a few other unpopular ones), I’m afraid that whatever I’d buy is going to disappoint me. That’s why I reached the conclusion of just carrying the Mighty home for these 2 months. The PAX 3 & other portables didn’t help me at all, while the Mighty literally saved my lungs, later I “learned” to appreciate the aforementioned better, but I still know that those vapes won’t keep me satisfied on the long run. If you have other suggestions on how to deal with this situation I’d love to hear them! I’d be really excited to try new vapes, but I also have to think about how to make the purchase sensible, and not let it get dusty!

Anyway, I had a look at the Splinter & ModPod. The idea is amazing, how does performance and quality of vapor compare to some of the vapes I mentioned? Also, I currently have a 2x21700 mod where I vape (nicotine), it's an amazing mod but it has shitty TC. Could I get the full potential out of them by just using wattage/voltage mode?

I kept doing research on the Splinter and scanning the market to get one. I understand that as it is a different kind of vape from the Mighty they can be a great duo to own together (or maybe I'm just suffering Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome). I found a deal with DDave's cooling piece so that should be a great bundle (it would be with the Splinter Z V2).

@YaMon One question regarding the cleaning (for planes/flights), does the wooden piece get dirty or any weed residue? Cleaning the stems should be easy with ISO + hot water (even though I assume DDave's piece is not going to be fun to clean), but I'm worried about the wood and getting that clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@YaMon One question regarding the cleaning (for planes/flights), does the wooden piece get dirty or any weed residue? Cleaning the stems should be easy with ISO + hot water (even though I assume DDave's piece is not going to be fun to clean), but I'm worried about the wood and getting that clean.

All versions of the Splinter do not get particularly dirty. Some material can collect in the crevice between the screen and the glass at the bottom of the chamber but it can be easily removed. Clean it out after each use by running a toothpick or something around the screen and there'll be absolutely nothing to worry about.

thestallion69

If inclined towards "stem coffee", simply perform this procedure into very hot coffee prior to repeating the process in your cleaner of choice.

Thanks for linking this! I have to take my words back as this actually looks fun :D

I just bought one of your adapters for the Splinter Z! I was wondering, do you have a recommended cleaning routine with just isopropyl and water? I'll be away from home for about a month and a half and doesn't really make sense for me to buy more cleaning supplies!

P.S. I was thinking just running the piece through hot water, then blow it all out, shake it a few minutes in ISO and it should be good to go.

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Thanks for linking this! I have to take my words back as this actually looks fun :D

I just bought one of your adapters for the Splinter Z! I was wondering, do you have a recommended cleaning routine with just isopropyl and water? I'll be away from home for about a month and a half and doesn't really make sense for me to buy more cleaning supplies!

P.S. I was thinking just running the piece through hot water, then blow it all out, shake it a few minutes in ISO and it should be good to go.
Gladly!

While I've not tried solely hot water, I don't see why it wouldn't have the same effect as hot coffee. Otherwise, the process you mention should work out well to clean the piece.

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
@pakalolo was spot on. Your mod should run the Z nicely. I have two Zs, the custom made by @RastaBuddhaTao and then the Zv1 produced by him, but in China. Both are excellent with their XL8R cooling stem which is also great with coffee and or hot cocoa. The Z can deliver incredible clouds and surprisingly is quite the flavor machine. It's worthwhile to pick up a water pipe adapter.

As for wattage mode, most members recommend starting between 30-40watts. I run TC mode on a couple of DNA mods and am a happy camper. I suspect if you buy a Z your mighty may grow dust..

thestallion69

@pakalolo was spot on. Your mod should run the Z nicely. I have two Zs, the custom made by @RastaBuddhaTao and then the Zv1 produced by him, but in China. Both are excellent with their XL8R cooling stem which is also great with coffee and or hot cocoa. The Z can deliver incredible clouds and surprisingly is quite the flavor machine. It's worthwhile to pick up a water pipe adapter.

As for wattage mode, most members recommend starting between 30-40watts. I run TC mode on a couple of DNA mods and am a happy camper. I suspect if you buy a Z your mighty may grow dust..

I'm very glad to hear that! After reading your post I started deep research on all the 510 vapes.. I was already leaning towards a Splinter Z.. then when I saw a guy on reddit selling the full vape after only a couple of uses + DDave's ultimate cooling stem + 14mm WPA. It was definitely a sign of destiny, the vape gods were calling me to pull the trigger at a very discounted price! My mod is amazing in wattage mod, but pretty shitty in TC. I'm reading the Splinter Z thread from page 1 to become familiar with it. I'll just try to master the wattage mode first, then if I find a good deal on a DNA chip I'll consider it :)

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
I do because I love a fine grind so take my gr8tr, clean both ways of course, but I don’t think I would risk taking my BCG. I look at it as what am I willing to lose. Although I pack it in my checked bag and I just can’t see TSA giving many fucks about a clean metal object so perhaps I am only being stoopid.

Having lived through the war on drugs and never living somewhere civilised, I still find it incredibly difficult to separate my cannabis use from the paranoia of being caught with herb/paraphernalia. If I were in your shoes flying to CO, I definitely would.

Last edited:
Top Bottom