1. If the Herbalizer was a fortune cookie what would it say? Tell us and win it!
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vapes and GERD/Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by freeman dyson, Nov 22, 2009.

1. momofthegoons

momofthegoons vapor accessory addict Staff Member

I did not mean to imply that simply switching to vapes would stop reflux; a change in lifestyle/diet is also crucial, sometimes :2c:along with meds. I was only commenting on the coughing aspect. The carcinogens that you are inhaling by combusting your herb make you cough even more. Seemed like a good idea to vape instead for that reason alone.:2c:
  2. Jikaboom123

Jikaboom123 Well-Known Member

Yea I wake up sick all the time, puking acidic burning stuff.
  3. Raf007

Raf007 Jed so f... High

Yes the change in life style is of great importance in that matter.

Meanwhile, if you want to continue to eat junks but want the acid reflux to stop you can try that:

Uncaria tomentosa 70 grams Ratanhia 20g
    Fucus crispus 50 g Licorice 20g
    Caroube 30g Agar agar 10g

Make a mix with everything.

Those 200g should last like one month, on a daily basis.

I think you should be able to find that in any herbalist's store.

How to use it:

twice a day
    Morning and night after diner/breakfast

take a fullspoon of the mix, put in cold water (enough for one bowl), when it's boiling, let it boil for 5 min.
    Stop the boiling.
    Let it rest for 10 min.

Drink !
    :D

Add sugar or prefer honey if you want, coz it takes a while to get use to the favor.

The only cons is that when the mixture cool down and after a few hours it hardens a bit, jelly style.
    So you have to heat it.

The END.

For info.
    I never had acid reflux on a daily basis, but like once a week, or more depending on my diet.
    For me it worked as a charm, I discovered that a month ago.
    Since then no acid, only when I stopped, after a big week did the reflux came back.

So I did one bowl (one fullspoon) to get back in "shape"

And since the past 3 days I am doing a test, I only add a little of the mix in a 10min infusion that I take on a daily basis, and it seems to be enough to maintain a balance.
  4. jackstraw62

jackstraw62 Low temp deadhead vaporist

5. Raf007

Raf007 Jed so f... High

Back on this topic, for a small update.

Haven't had any acid reflux since I m using the recipe I posted above.
    Now I drink one or two cup week when I feel I need some, and that's about it.
  6. saeton

saeton Well-Known Member

I've had really bad acid reflux for last five years. If I miss a day of prilosec I have bad acid in the afternoon, and even with prescriptions it is barely bearable... But when I've vaped in the last 24 hours, I've noticed no gerd pain except if I have alcohol, that can sometimes still get me going. I'm not sure if it's placebo of starting herb recently, but my stomach has been a lot happier with me for the last 4 weeks.

One time I did vape and still had some pain, but I was ONLY in low temps i think for the whole time, but was a new strain too maybe wasn't used to it yet
  7. oldiebutgoodie

oldiebutgoodie Apostle, Church of Vaporization

I can offer an explanation based on medical research, confirmed by my personal experience.

First, a quick caveat: What I am referring to is genuine acid reflux disease, a physiological problem. The vast majority of those with acid reflux symptoms such as severe heartburn, have such due to dietary and lifestyle issues. So I'm presuming here that this is not you.

For a substantial majority of those with genuine reflux disease, research has shown that the source of the problem is with the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) either experiencing a much higher than normal number of "transient relaxations" and/or "weak tone" in the LES. Relaxations are what happen when you swallow, the LES opens to allow food to pass into the stomach. Everyone experiences occasional relaxations, e.g., when you burp and other times they are mostly imperceptible. But when relaxations happen much more frequently, acid can escape into the esophagus. Most problematic relaxations occurs within 2 hours of eating, but for some they mostly occur at night after retiring between 10pm-4am when the body renews its store of basal stomach acid. The other cause, weak tone, means that the LES does not maintain sufficient back-pressure into the fundus, allowing acid to be pushed up.

Sometimes the LES problem is mechanical, e.g., for those who have a hiatus hernia. But apparently the problem is most often neurological. It appears that the LES responds to impulses from the vagus nerve. There is debate over the fundamental cause for the vagus/LES malfunction. Whatever the reason, it appears that in the brain the vagus is tied to GABA, specifically the GABA-1 receptor. What the hell does any of this have to do with herb?

It has been found that certain chemicals are GABA-1 agonists and therefore influence the receptors which in turn influence the vagus. One example is the pharmaceutical Baclofen which is prescribed to control spasms caused by Muscular Dystrophy; it has been shown in multiple studies to reduce TLESR's while increasing LES pressure. Unfortunately, it also has a rather high side-effect profile, so very few gastroenterologists will prescribe it. Another GABA-1 agonist is . . . THC. There is on-going research into isolating a GABA-1 agonist without unacceptable side-effects, and a THC derivative is in this mix.

In the meantime . . . vaporizing herb reduces TLESR's and improves LES tone. If you reflux primarily following meals, vape a ~half-hour before eating. If you are primarily a night refluxer, vape before retiring. Keep in mind that the THC is only mitigating an underlying problem, analogous to how the Prilosec's acid suppression only mitigates the problem. Some and even all of the dietary and lifestyle adjustments may still be required because both the GABA-1 and acid suppression treatments are not 100% effective. You've experienced this in that alcohol overcomes the benefit of the Prilosec and the THC - the specific reason is that alcohol relaxes the LES (as does caffeine, btw - both very bad for reflux disease).

Personally, I have both the TLESR and tone issues. Whenever I vape before eating, these problems are quite noticeably improved. I have even taken to occasionally drinking an ABV smoothie ~90 mintues (to allow for digestion) before eating, which provides the same benefit (and puts my ABV to excellent use, too). Unfortunately, I have to limit this to my evening meal. But again, I can confirm the research results - THC does substantially improve LES function. While of course I can't say for sure, there is a distinct possibility that that is what you have experienced.
    Nycdeisel and momofthegoons like this.
  8. snew

snew Member

I'd like to see your recipe also. I've had to take a lot of medicine for different stuff over the years. The more stuff I take the more GERD problems I have. Nexium, prilosec none seem to really be addressing the problem. And they interfere with my heart meds (but doc had me on it anyway since there was nothing else).
    I started taking digestive enzymes. Just plant basis digestive enzymes. I have to take one pretty much when ever I eat but I feel better and it prevents not covers up.
    I drink a lot of green tea (brew your own its cheap). I always grate about 1/2 tsp to a 1/2 gal pot. I drink warm teas with Chamomile and ginger may be a little licorice root. I add a little hibiscus flower for blood pressure also. Most health food stores have knowledgeable people who came help. If you find somewhere that has bulk teas you can usually buy it cheaper and mix what makes you happy.
    I get an IV med that makes me quite sick some times. I take phenegran and some other stuff on those days. I try to take as much natural stuff as I can.
  9. Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel Well-Known Member

Green tea? What kind? Most green teas have a lot of fluoride! SO be sure to get an organic and high quality tea whether green or otherwise, and of course use a pure and clean water source also free of fluoride and contaminants, preferably getting an extensive drinking water filter for your home. Diet has SO much to with it. And careful eating so many pills, the drugs themselves as well as the additives really can screw up your body especially their transport vessel which is basically your stomach since you do eat them.

Good post oldie^ :tup:

I have had this GERD problem for a few years now and it gets pretty bad, stopping smoking my herb helped, stopping certain foods and products helped.... [but still suffer] P.s: do not underestimate the power of herbs and spices, and careful what you eat because like I and others have said that has too much to do with it and without a good diet non one can be healthy, just as if everything about your diet and lifestyle is perfect BUT you dont sleep well, you still can not be healthy without everything falling into place.

Im currently giving homeopathic medicine a go since i dont have much to lose with it. bombs away!
  10. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors