Discontinued Vape-Or-Smoke Vaporizer

pinoy said:
charleidontsurf,

which on do you prefer iolite or vape-or-smoke? is it fair to compare the two? i have both of these categorized as portables that run on butane.

Comparing the two is completely fair. When compared against the VapeOrSmoke or the MFLB, I think the Iolite is a joke, especially given that it costs far more than either. You can read a little of my bitching in the Iolite thread if you're curious, but basically its plasticy build quality, always-on conduction heating method and high expense makes it a poor contender in my opinion. All that added to its shaky reputation for long term reliability and the somewhat lackluster support of its Irish producers makes it a gamble. Any of the vaporgenie models I've tried would best the Iolite as well. I imagine the Vapman/Hookshot would too. Not to put the VOS in the same boat, it fills a very nice niche and is a serious piece of hardware - those interested in E-cigarette fluid or other liquid based solutions apparently have a big reason to buy one as well.

One thing really laudable about the Vape or Smoke is its modularity. Anything broken or lost can be replaced at minimal cost, including (and especially) the lighter component. The ashcatcher is a great, simple innovation, and the unit is both small and tough, and it looks very innocuous sitting on a table.

Questions: what is the purpose of the small piece of zig-zag shaped metal going across the lighter's opening? I've seen lighters where there is a small piece of metal there in order to change the color of the flame, say from blue to bright green, but I'm curious what it does here.

charliedontsurf,

vapeorsmoke

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
charliedontsurf said:
Questions: what is the purpose of the small piece of zig-zag shaped metal going across the lighter's opening? I've seen lighters where there is a small piece of metal there in order to change the color of the flame, say from blue to bright green, but I'm curious what it does here.

That piece of metal is a filament that helps control the temperature and consistency of the flame, making it easier to vape than with the original lighter that lacked the filament.

vapeorsmoke,
Ah, very interesting!

I'll also speak up and say that FLskwat is absolutely right, the VOS is superb for concentrates. He's also right about the screens being unusually high quality for brass ones, but SS is preferable.

I've torn down and reassembled the unit, took all of 5 minutes the first time, should take less than 2 after. It's all put together very solidly and simply and cleaning is a breeze - a good thing since you'll want to put tons of concentrates through it.

charliedontsurf,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
charliedontsurf said:
Ah, very interesting!

I'll also speak up and say that FLskwat is absolutely right, the VOS is superb for concentrates. He's also right about the screens being unusually high quality for brass ones, but SS is preferable.

Thx for speaking up, Charlie! ;)

FLskwat,
The prospect of a ceramic bowl is really awesome, as I think would be a steel bowl which maybe breaks up the jet flame a little more (think more, smaller holes) - The VOS is already amazing for solid concentrates, so the prospect of improving that as well is very impressive.

The build quality is bitching, it's actually kind of fun take it apart and putting it back together. If it feels like you're applying too much force putting the chassis back into the armor-type sleeve, check the sitting position of the lighter, it just needs to be adjusted like a smidge. The ashcatcher is a cool, useful touch.

Right now I'm most fond of the VOS as an out and about, concentrate vaporizer. You can get some nice vapor with herbal materials, but it really super shines for solids. I definitely recommend using the wraparound brass screen as recommended by the manufacturer if you are using herbal materials, I'm actually going to get on puffitup and order another long screen - I think stacking them might lead to an even more consistent, slower vaporization. I do think the lighter could carry more fluid, I could see myself running out of fuel before the day's end if it was a heavy day of use and it was mostly solids (bigger flame, generally). The only part of the VOS which can get hot is the steel bowl, and then only if you were speed-vaping with a group of friends through some solids with a high intensity flame. Maybe the lighter should be extended out, I understand that requires making the whole unit larger, but I think a 2x fuel capacity would be really awesome and probably wouldn't make the VOS dramatically larger. On the topic of fuel, I just bought my first big, 13 oz butane canister, and it so much easier filling off these than the tiny 1.8 or 3.0 tanks, due to their higher pressure - you just plug and go, instead of babying them.

The VOS is a tough little tank of a vape, and seems to be built to Volcano-grade quality materials as exhibited in the company's material sheets. They've also been a very helpful presence on this forum (7th floor, HA, StorzBickel, Oglesby-Butler, where are you guys?) and that deserves credit.

Also, it's one of those rare vapes that just disappears in your pocket... You know what I mean? Like some nights I used to think "where the **** has my MFLB gone?" just to realize it's been riding around in my pocket like a pet frog for hours and hours. Both the VOS and MFLB are small enough and tough enough where you can carry it without any drama or concern, to the point where you forget it until the instant you get the urge to vape.

charliedontsurf,

mephisto

Gotta get my 2 cents in on this. I received my VOS yesterday, and promptly
put it to use. After combusting the first fill (my fault, adjusted too high) I was
ready to call b***shit. So, after lowering the flame adjustment, voila!
Vapes! I have used virtually every vape available and this bad boy is the
answer to constant searching for stealth and reliability. Yes, the bowl will get
hot with repeated use. Yes, you will blaze thru butane quickly if you vape alot.
The VOS is the total package. No batteries to shlep around, and talk about
easy to use. There is virtually no learning curve. Just stop inhaling when you
feel you have gotten the right amount. On occasion, you may toast a bowl.
That's alright, dump it, refill it, and off ya' go. I can't wait for the options.

As to the requests for stainless screens, I found that screens which are meant
for other butane powered vapes will fit quite nicely in the VOS.
Also, I trimmed a round titanium screen to replace the stock square brass
screen, and it works even better. Hope all this helps....
So much fer' 2 cents...

mephisto,

vapeorsmoke

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
mephisto said:

Should have brought this up sooner. We already have stainless steel screens produced. They will likely be available online and elsewhere this month at the same time as the atomizers.

vapeorsmoke,

PuffItUp

Retailer
charliedontsurf said:
A thousand thanks to Puffitup.com. Randy sent me a few new grinder styles to beta test as well and they are all awesome!

Thanks charliedontsurf! I got my Vape-Or-Smoke a few months ago and right away I was hooked.
If you get a chance, try herb with a drop of oil on it...

PuffItUp,
vapeorsmoke said:
mephisto said:

Should have brought this up sooner. We already have stainless steel screens produced. They will likely be available online and elsewhere this month at the same time as the atomizers.

Does the wraparound, vaporizing-centric screen have a new stainless steel version? This is especially the one I'm interested in.

We also apparently have 2 VOS threads, one with about 35 posts and one with 75. Fun.

500th post Boosh :o

charliedontsurf,
I've recently given up smoking cigarettes and joints after using a vaporiser.
Kicking the habit is made so much more easy by toking on thick vapour and getting a throat kick as well as a head high.

I don't think I could have given up smoking so easily without a vaporiser (although the device is not essential for this).
Less smoking (combustion), longer life.

The vapeorsmoke still gives me the option to smoke though.
Clearly, it is for people who see combustion the same way as they see their vaporising: it's all about getting the hit when you're on that ski slope.

I think I'd use the vapeorsmoke for vaporising only.

Hi treecityrnd and mephisto!!! Welcome to FC. Hope you'll stick around.

Vapemania-original,

justvapeme

Melinda
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I am proud to announce that I just received my first vape today, which is a VapeOrSmoke Ninja! I was like a kid at christmas time opening it lol.

I have noticed a few people complaining about price, I ordered ours from amazon.com, and it was $105 total with shipping included, and came lightning fast! Seriously, I am still in awe on how fast it arrived lol.

At first use, the only issues my bf and I had was with the pall, we could not get it back in place correctly, but luckily someone had posted a photo and detailed information on it's insertion on this site, which was awesome and solved our problem-that is something that the manufacturer may want to remedy however.

Also, you have the long screen, but why? It really seems kinda pointless, so, I think that should be eliminated all together(just throw in a few more regular screens) or make a way it can slide in and out of the mouth piece, or something. Perhaps a little slide in slit?

The issues we have found so far, are very minimal, and over all we are very happy with the product.

I think the manufacturer should have a email list going to send out emails to customers for updates, new products, etc. All and all, we feel this was a great purchase for our first vape!

justvapeme,
So you've never had a vaporiser before, justvapeme?
And for your first ever purchase you spent $105?
And you bought it as a joint purchase? With your boyfriend?

You mention 'quick delivery', 'screens' and 'new products'.
Not a word about the quality of the vapour?

I have noticed all these new people who have appeared on FC, and who seem only to post on this thread, and only offer glowing reports of the Vapeorsmoke.

Its important we help these people.
The vaporiser industry exists to avoid combustion. Vapeorsmoke doesn't do this.
There are 2 types of vaporisers: good ones and cheap, poorly designed, poorly conceived, mass produced knock-offs.
Vaporising is an urban leisure activity. You don't do it on ski slopes where dexterity, concentration and hand - eye coordination is needed.

I'm so glad you have made a great purchase.
I look forward to more posts from you and mephisto about how good the vapeorsmoke is.

Incidentally, where can I buy one?

Vapemania-original,
Vapemania, the Vapeorsmoke is well able to create vaporization, as well as combustion. Right now it can produce vapor about equivalent to a vaporgenie but in a far more robust, more cleanable, more modular and one handed form. Vaporizing requires a smaller flame and, to some people's experience mine own included, that long screen Justvapeme is asking about.

You wrap that long screen around a pencil or similar object, then place it in the bowl. This way the jet-lighter flame has to travel through the screen before hitting any material in the bowl, causing it to lower in temperature and vape more readily. I'm going to get a spare one and actually try stacking them and using a larger flame.

You seem a little skeptical Vapemania, suspicious of shills even, but this isn't Vapir we're dealing with. The VOS tends to be a little on the hot side, which is why I think it's the bee's Fing knees when it comes to concentrates, as some others have pointed out, like FLskwat, a long time member. Vaping herbal material can be a little trickier, IME requiring the long screen and proper flame technique.

Try it before you trash it, vapemania. The VOS people seem alright, and they're improving their product rapidly. I look forward to a bowl which makes vaporizing herbal material a pinch easier, maybe even something with a vaporgenie-style filter built in. or a vaporbowl-style heat diffuser built into the wall of the bowl... The fact that the whole bowl assembly can be slipped out/replaced leaves alot of crazy options for this vape.

Just realized, I see no part of the VOS that couldn't be cleaned well enough to travel with, few vapes can claim that which aren't 100% glass like the vapocane.

Also, on principle, I disagree with the official instruction to start inhaling before the system is igniting. This would mean you are inhaling some small amount of uncombusted butane. So I click it on quickly, then start inhaling.

charliedontsurf,
Very good points, Charlie.

I agree entirely that a pipe (which the vape-or-smoke is) needs a unique selling point like the vaporgenie-style filter. Like you say.
Also, a vaporbowl-style heat diffuser, like you mentioned. That's another unique selling point.

The vape-or-smoke seems to be a very stylish plastic pipe with built-in butane lighter. Extremely convenient, and comes in ninja black for ultimate stealth.

I wasn't aware the screen will need modification for herb users on the vape-or-smoke. Also, the manufacturer guidelines being questionable as there may be a risk of butane inhalation.

New business projects always have some degree of risk. So I wish the VOS model every bit of success it deserves.

Vapemania-original,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
charliedontsurf said:
Vapemania, the Vapeorsmoke is well able to create vaporization, as well as combustion. Right now it can produce vapor about equivalent to a vaporgenie but in a far more robust, more cleanable, more modular and one handed form. Vaporizing requires a smaller flame and, to some people's experience mine own included, that long screen Justvapeme is asking about.

You wrap that long screen around a pencil or similar object, then place it in the bowl. This way the jet-lighter flame has to travel through the screen before hitting any material in the bowl, causing it to lower in temperature and vape more readily. I'm going to get a spare one and actually try stacking them and using a larger flame.

You seem a little skeptical Vapemania, suspicious of shills even, but this isn't Vapir we're dealing with. The VOS tends to be a little on the hot side, which is why I think it's the bee's Fing knees when it comes to concentrates, as some others have pointed out, like FLskwat, a long time member. Vaping herbal material can be a little trickier, IME requiring the long screen and proper flame technique.

Try it before you trash it, vapemania. The VOS people seem alright, and they're improving their product rapidly. I look forward to a bowl which makes vaporizing herbal material a pinch easier, maybe even something with a vaporgenie-style filter built in. or a vaporbowl-style heat diffuser built into the wall of the bowl... The fact that the whole bowl assembly can be slipped out/replaced leaves alot of crazy options for this vape.

Just realized, I see no part of the VOS that couldn't be cleaned well enough to travel with, few vapes can claim that which aren't 100% glass like the vapocane.

Also, on principle, I disagree with the official instruction to start inhaling before the system is igniting. This would mean you are inhaling some small amount of uncombusted butane. So I click it on quickly, then start inhaling.

Very goood points again Charlie... And I can only confirm the travel one: came back from 3 days business trip to Germany and though I had taken the essential vaaap pipe with clean vials, the VOS can claim for the exact same pros in travel situation (which mostly implicate concentrates for obvious logistic reasons).

FLskwat,

Laban_L

Hey people!

As you might have noticed, this is my first post, here at the forum, so I am sorry if this question is completely missplaced/offtopic, or so. I found my way here through google, while searching for some information concerning the Vape-Or-Smoke Ninja.

I've recently purchased a Vape-Or-Smoke Ninja, on an internet site. Apparently they do not come shipped with fuel (or atleast mine didn't), so first of all I had to go check the local tobacco store for butane gas. I didn't find any of the recommended premium butanes from the manual, so I just went with some random brand instead.

Now to my problem: I cannot manage to refill the VOS Ninja with butane. I've tried looking for more detailed instructions online, but failed. So I have a couple of questions, for you guys, as you apparently have managed to master the VOS Ninja.

Does it matter how the gas valve is set up, in order to be able to refill the ligther part of the VOS? I've tried many different ways, but the results are always the same, no butane gets into the fuel container.

How do you guys do, in order to refill the VOS Ninja? Are there any difference between "premium butane fuel", and just ordinary lighter butane fuel (in the aspect of refilling lighters).

Regards,
Laban

Laban_L,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
^^^ +1 i wanna know more about the e cigg attachment and when it will be out tha is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on one of these...

Goodlife101,

SkollIstKrieg

Just ordered one of these from PuffItUp, can't wait to try it! Will have to do a side by side comparison with the launchbox! Will also have to make a couple more vape videos for people to view ;)

SkollIstKrieg,

vapeorsmoke

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Ok, I will say that the first batch of atomizers were completed. They will be available shortly after we finalize the last few details.

vapeorsmoke,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
thanks for the update VoS! im really lookin forward to those attachments! cant wait to see what you guys build next for this! Skoll I just picked one of these up and I have to say i am diggin it so far, idk if they changed the screen package but mine came with 2 long screens to bend i put them both in and it helps keep the temps under control and allows me to turn up my flame more! i notice if you leave you flame to wander and not high enough for the flame to make the cone it will start to melt the back of your case behind the lighter it actually works better with the flame turned up a little and prevents this from happening hence why i think 2 screens is way more clutch than 1 :2c: i compare the hits of this thing to be much like my LB not lots of visible vapor but definitely will get your herbs where you want them and I find the learning curve (draw speed, length of draw, power applied) to be very similar to my LB all in all i love this thing more than the LB only because its all self contained and the batteries are a fuss for me.. this is perfect for on-the-go and stealth out and about, it does well with small amounts and i dont combust with mine so it truly is a vape only device if you choose but you have to be a bit careful not to get crazy with it. unit gets warm the metal bowl gets HOT but nothing un manageable and can still be slipped into a pocket no problem. All in all a really great and innovative device I cant wait for next winter to hit the slopes with this! Convenient and self contained the VoS has tickled my fancy and replaced my LB with on the go usage!

Goodlife101,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Haha, I confirm I'm also in love with my VoS! And I'm also very excited about the attachments...
If I can stop carrying my ecig liquid/carto/batts/chargers and co + my vaporizer , batts, charger & co for any little day out... Only leaving with my VoS, a little eliquid of my choice and a little THC.
I also adore my VoS for concentrates... I drop 0,3 g. in there and I'm good for the hole working day (3 car seshs!): INCREDIBLE FLAVOR all the long (never harsh), BIG clouds, SO easy to use!
Thx again VoS! Keep on the good work. I'm really excited with the atomizers and the heat diffuser-ceramic bowl in development!

FLskwat,

SkollIstKrieg

Alright I received this thing yesterday and here is my initial impression of it

Starting off I read the instruction booklet that came a long with it and watched the video on vaping located on the site. I only received one long screen and 2 round screens, I put one of the round screens at the bottom of the bowl, then I put the long screen in as directed by the video. Then I filled the lighter and checked the flame level, it was a flame but wasnt quite going into the bowl. I went ahead and packed the first bowl and managed to combust right of the bat, I was bummed. So i rinsed it and dried it out real quick, and as I disassembled it I had a really hard time removing the case, but its do-able.

So I went ahead and packed another bowl and tried again, this time the flame didnt light. It seemed when I disassembled it and put it back together I mightve hit the flame setting. So I turned the flame up again and had it just a tich lower as any lower it wouldnt be a real flame. The hit had a harshness that felt like smoke, and it did not taste good. I immediately dumped the bowl to check it, and it wasnt even charred. I realized I vaped right there and didnt combust. So I went on, stirring the bowl after a couple hits, with the bowl using the same technique and every time I hit it, the hit felt like smoke and did not taste good(through the supreme vape this bud is the best tasting bud ever IMO). After about 7 good hits, all the hits were vapor but tasted like smoke, I dumped the bowl and the weed was a dark green with some light charring. Definitely looked like I vaped all the THC off, but compared to how my other vapes brown the herb without charring, I found this to be weird.

So I packed another bowl and turned the flame slightly higher and hit it quicker with less flame time. I got a couple thick vape hits, once again did not taste good and felt like smoke on my throat. Then at the end of the bowl I managed to combust it again.

Overall for a first insider I find this vape frustrating at the least. It seemed everytime Id push forward on the bowl to pack it, the flame setting would go down, so I'd have to reset it. That would be very annoying if I was trying to use this on the go! If you current users that vape only with this could give me some pointers thatd be great. Cause currently I believe by vape standards and taste, launch box so far is treating me waayyy better as a portable option.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to ask which may be what attributing to the bad taste. Do any other users feel like theyre inhaling butane? After my sesh I had a bad headache, but it could have possibly been from combusting(rarely ever do it)

SkollIstKrieg,

Goodlife101

Living The Good Life
i dont get the butane headache like you maybe it was from combusting ? who knows or inhaling the butane after the flame went out like you said perhaps? but the VoS does it a pipe taste if you do a big combustion but you can get rid of that taste and bring it back to new with a 10 min soak in iso alcohol and then the vape will taste nice :) i had to clean mine after my first couple attempts and now it tastes amazing i really like the idea you can clean all of the vapor/smoke resign out very easily something most vapes dont take into consideration. i heard they were coming out with a ceramic bowl or insert making this thing better for vaping is this true any know? and also excited still for that ecig attachment. all i have to say is dont give up on the VoS, it can be adjusted to your liking with many different little fixes everything from draw speeds to upgrading your screens to thicker tighter mesh. very good concept idea for this seems well thought out to me .

Goodlife101,
Top Bottom