Vape for smooth, long lasting sessions on little bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_jungle

Hi everyone,

I only started vaping a few months ago; I got myself a MFLB and I like it. However, the constant pushing-in of the battery and shaking the box are quite involved and I'd like a vape that requires less work to use.

Most importantly, I like the LB because one trench usually lasts me for several hours. I prepare it, take a few hits to get to a level and then I take hits once in a while, maybe 6-10 hits per hour for 3 hours.

So this means that deciding on a new vape, it's important that I can let it sit without having the bud get burnt or too hot in general.

For the other criteria:

Price: absolute max 400 USD.
Social setting: Alone or two people.
Efficiency: as high as possible. Don't care too much about big hits.
Descreetness: Irrelevant. It doesn't need to be portable, either.
Learning curve: Don't care if it's steep, but in the end, it should be less work than the LB.
Temperature control: Not sure because I lack the experience. I like how I can control the heat in the LB. But I don't have any 'favourite temperature' yet and I'm not a connoisseur or anything.

It seems like everyone likes their Arizer Solo. But can you let it sit without having to turn it off/on all the time? I'd imagine this kind of usage isn't doing any good for the battery...
I was also looking at bong-kind-of vapes like the Herborizer or the Vriptech Heat Wand. They usually have a heating element that sits on top of the herb, not below like in regular vapes. How about those, can you leave them on without combusting even when not taking a hit for 10 minutes or so?

Input appreciated!

johnny_jungle,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I think you want a log vape. It meets/exceeds all your criteria:

Price: 200 plus minus. More like minus.
Social setting: Alone or two people.
Efficiency: They're famous for their efficiency. Also i think they can do a bit better hits than LB much more easily.
Descreetness: They look small and natural. Without the stem, people shouldn't even think it's a vape.
Learning curve: Less than LB. It's primary convection.
Temperature control: Fixed temp 190-200 (some are little hotter, some colder)

It's stem removing design will also allow you to do that LB like one-hits. Instead of stop pressing on the battery, you will remove the loaded stem to cool it down. No need to turn off the vape, it only draws few watts. You will probably have it plugged in 24/7 (it's build to endure that).

Both LB and logs are very similar in: energy and herb efficiency, woodcrafted, discreet, quality, hit density, durability

And also have some some sharp differencies:
LB: FAST heat up, supersmall battery operated, more work to vape, optional load size (0 - 0.2g)
log: SLOW heat up, meant to be plugged in 24/7, less work to vape, tiny load size (0.025g plus minus?)

Seek,

weedemon

enthusiast
Hello man! great first post, you outlined everything we needed pretty much to be able to help! you have been lurking a while i think? :D

I agree with Seek you are looking for a log vape too! (Underdog - UD, Ceramic rock zap - CRZ, Toasty Top - TT/ High.)

another route for you for "EASY" is the bag vape route, a used volcano/oracle, herbal air, the extreme(the jack of all trades, master of none vape)...

another one that wont break the bank that i think you may like would be the vapolution 2.0 it's on sale thought the forum atm too! (glass on glass setup, small loads, surprising hits from it. very similar to a log)

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sounds like you want a log vape to me as well.

You sound like a CRZ guy to me, but why don't you have a look at the CRZ as well as the Underdog and Hi, for starters.

You can leave a Solo on for a max of 12 minutes before it shuts down automatically, which is a pain imo. But, if you do leave it on/keep turning it on your bud will be spend without you toking on it anyways. This probably goes for the other vapes I mentioned here as well to some extend, but it's no really trouble to take out the stem (thus removing the bud from the heat source) when you're not hitting them.

All these vapes can be used with a bong easily as well.

OhTheAgony,

technique

I havent tried log vapes myself and they are truly loved by alot of very experienced vaporists and definetly sounds like what you are looking for but as i have said before i honestly think the SSV will do what you need depending on how you use it.

technique,

weedemon

enthusiast
it's true the SSV is a beast and a lot of fun. the only reason i didn't recommend it is because of the request for ease of use. I am always stirring, and making adjustments to my bowl. personally I love it! i love the intimacy that comes from the experience. but the OP was saying the mflb is too much hassle so i'm not sure the SSV would be the best fit?

weedemon,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
SSV is also great, but imo doesn't meet his requirements as well as logs. It is also convection, 2 parts, load easily unconnectable from the vape as with logs. Main differences 'log x SSV' are that SSV will have a lot more watts, it heats up faster, hit harder, not as efficient, loads are much bigger but optional, and has temp controll knob. Log will be much more efficient to do these onehits, with SSV it could be waste of energy.

Seek,

johnny_jungle

Nice, thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Yeah I've been doing a bit of research before posting. I also lurk on the IRC channel ;)

I never considered a log vape, they seem so... simple! But that's what I asked for, isn't it.

I had a look around; All the Rockzaps currently on sale don't really appeal to me (visually). I like the looks of the "Woodeez", and it's 50$ cheaper than a Rockzap, too. Seems like it's very similar in performance, it just lacks a screen. Is this correct? Underdog has a few nice ones on sale but they're all quite a bit more expensive. I assume the experience is about the same, though?

How do the Rockzap, Woodeez and Underdog compare performance wise?

And the heat wand (Herborizer, VHW...) vapes are no good for this purpose?

johnny_jungle,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think you may want to do a lot more research.

The RZ, Woodeez and Underdog are all different beasts for different users imo.

Some one else please chime in if I get anything wrong here, but I think of the Woodeez more like of a poor mans PD, which is one of the first logs vapes while since then a lot has changed in the design of the more modern logs like the CRZ, UD and Hi/TT. I'm not going to sum them all up for you since I believe everyone should read the threads of the vapes they're interested in them self to make their 'guess' (which picking out a new vape basically is) as educated as possible. There is so much to be gathered from different users their experiences.

Just a few pointers; the Woodeez and the Zaps have comparable stems and bowl sizes, the UD uses a wider silicon stems in which the screens can be moved to change the size of the bowl and the proximity of the herbs to the heater or in other words, the temp you're vaping at. Then there is a difference in airflow, I think the UD has the less restricted airflow of the lot while the Woodeez is most likely to be the most restricted one.

I think the Woodeez also runs slightly cooler than the other two, but I'm not sure on that one.

Then there is the new ceramic insulation on the Zaps of course, or the variable voltage PSU that comes with the HI. To much to write about while it has already been writing..

Good luck!

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: Psychic

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I've found great YT vid, whre a guy demonstrates a myrtlezap and compares to launch box pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwWuZYGaYk

I don't have any log vape, and never hit one. So I can't compare individual logs. But hey, they have really great reputation here and I understand why. :) I would get one myself too, but I'm also lacking a heavy hitter, so I'm going VXC. Then i think I'll not need a log. Maybe...

Seek,
One thing to keep in mind is that the websites for Underdog and Toasty Top/HI are quite out-of-date at this point, and the latest information regarding those units can only be found in their respective threads here. The UD website should be getting an update after Dave gets back from a trip on 2/15. Not sure when the TT/HI website will be updated, but browsing through their threads should let you know what's up.

The reason I bring this up is because you cited the high cost of the units at the Underdog website, and the reality is that new UD pieces cost around $175 with the most up-to-date 3/8" heat core, not $250+ as the website would have you believe.

The HI on the other hand starts at $140, but doesn't include tubes. A HI with a variable voltage power supply (which you'll want) costs an extra $15, and throw in another $10 if you want exotic wood instead of something more common.

For all intents and purposes, a UD Twig with a glass stem will get you vaping for roughly the same cost as a HI with the aforementioned upgrades and a glass stem as well. The CRZ will probably be around the same price ($175-$200) as well.

OKcomputer,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom