Vape Carts Health Crisis Megathread

ginolicious

I don't see the symptoms discussed here occurring when dry herb vaping.

I completely agree. The symptoms don’t appear to be prominent with dry herb. But a question was raised earlier if vaping dry flower still releases some kind of oil into the lungs. Some have said yes. And others have said no. One member mentioned the pressing of olives releasing oil. So when that question was raised we kinda moved from the cart crisis to does flower release oil oppose to symptoms. Or well that’s how I understood the last few pages in the discussion.

C No Ego

Okay, so maybe I'm very wrong here, maybe what I refer to are actually „lipids“, but I thought what we inhale are mainly resins. Wouldn't we dry herb vapers suffer the same problems if it actually was (fatty, lipidious) oil?
phytocannabinoids are lipophilic / terpenenophenolic compounds that are long chain fatty acids ( PUFAS) . phytocannabinoids are monoterpene / meroterpenoids . they are glandular resinous secretions ( enzyme /hormones) created in the trichome on exposed plant surfaces. they serve a s fatty acid metabolite when we ingest them

I completely agree. The symptoms don’t appear to be prominent with dry herb. But a question was raised earlier if vaping dry flower still releases some kind of oil into the lungs. Some have said yes. And others have said no. One member mentioned the pressing of olives releasing oil. So when that question was raised we kinda moved from the cart crisis to does flower release oil oppose to symptoms. Or well that’s how I understood the last few pages in the discussion.

vaping makes it an aerosol ( solid to gas) but the cannabinoids ( lipids) are in the vapor too

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
phytocannabinoids are lipophilic / terpenenophenolic compounds that are long chain fatty acids ( PUFAS) .

Okay, but are they lipids themselves? I'm struggling with the terminology a bit. :-)

So is there a substantial difference between phytocannabinoids and lipid substances like vitamin e acetate when it comes to creating these kind of diseases? And if not, why not and if yes oh shit we are in danger (right?).

Cilleire

EuroVapeSim2
No, it's not.

I probably should have worded this in a better way. Vapor is inhaled in a gaseous form but as it cools, it condenses into a resin/oil like state which can deposit on surfaces over time.
I'm personally not worried about suffering the effects shown by the oil carts when dry herb vaping, unless the flower has been heavily contaminated by an outside source. I'm not naive enough to think it has zero impact on my airways and lungs though, the different means we have to vape and how are material has been processed has to be studied further.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
I'm not naive enough to think it has zero impact on my airways and lungs though, the different means we have to vape and how are material has been processed has to be studied further.

Well I'm actually very naive when it comes to vaping flower – I think terminology plays a huge role here (at least for me) and I have a hard time believing that what we vape is an oily (as in „lipid oil”) aerosol. I always thought that vapor contains resins, not fats. You say „resin/oil“ but those two categories are actually miles apart I think.

Cilleire

EuroVapeSim2
Well I'm actually very naive when it comes to vaping flower – I think terminology plays a huge role here (at least for me) and I have a hard time believing that what we vape is an oily (as in „lipid oil”) aerosol. I always thought that vapor contains resins, not fats. You say „resin/oil“ but those two categories are actually miles apart I think.

Terminology is huge when discussing this sort of thing and a big problem is what different names stand for. Who decides what is oil, resin, rosin etc... I would say resin or rosin can be in an oil like state but when oil is talked about a lot of people are referring to distillate, and not how the language defines oil. My understanding of weed is thc, cbd and the other compounds are lipids amd thats why they can bind so well to fatty substances like butter and coconut oil. I try to buy only good quality flower but thats not an option for everyone, I'd imagine if dry herb vaping causes respiratory problems like the carts we would have had many cases by now as people have been vaping weed and hash for ages, I've heard plenty of guys who used to heat up knives to hit their hash.

Cilleire,
Reactions: Siebter

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
...hence I think the substances are not oils in the sense of „lipids“ (which is a relatively fixed term I think).

We are not talking about long term effects here, some of the victims of the cart crisis have been only vaping for a short period of time. Lipid pneumonia seems to occur acutely and not really in a slow, gradual way.

Edit - one argument just pops into my mind: if vapor was a lipid fatty oily thing, why do we need isopropyl alcohol to remove residue from our devices? This residue in my experience also does not seem oily, but rather sticky and solid. Like resin.

Last edited:
Siebter,
Reactions: Cilleire

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
When we vape flower we are not inhaling a distillate, which is the best case scenario for carts. We certainly shouldn't be getting any natural flavorings or other additives that commonly end up in them.

CANtalk

I think some of this is overthinking on terminology, but by all means go for it :sherlock:. There are definitions of all these words with Google search and one should be able to reconcile much of it.

It looks like many of you are correct. From what I've read :tinfoil:, phytocannabinoids (like endocannabinoids) may be an oil (are they a viscous liquid at room temp?) and are (amides or esters of) long chain fatty acids and resinous... as well as lipids. OTOH, not all of those classes of substances are analogous with each other... for example not all resins are lipids.

This was interesting https://www.shopbotanistohio.com/cannabinoids-terpenes.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Okay, so maybe I'm very wrong here, maybe what I refer to are actually „lipids“, but I thought what we inhale are mainly resins. Wouldn't we dry herb vapers suffer the same problems if it actually was (fatty, lipidious) oil?

I don't see the symptoms discussed here occurring when dry herb vaping.

Not all oils are alike. Each is a different chemical(s). Not all oils are the same. Some oils can be perfectly fine to inhale, while others are terrible. Just because the substance is an oil does not determine whether it's safe or not.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Not all oils are alike. Each is a different chemical(s). Not all oils are the same. Some oils can be perfectly fine to inhale, while others are terrible. Just because the substance is an oil does not determine whether it's safe or not.

Hence I prefer to use the term „lipids“, because a lipid (vitamin e acetate) has caused those incidents of lipid pneumonia. Lipids should definitely not be inhaled.

Siebter,

C No Ego

Hence I prefer to use the term „lipids“, because a lipid (vitamin e acetate) has caused those incidents of lipid pneumonia. Lipids should definitely not be inhaled.

a few pertinent links -
https://www.lipidhome.co.uk/lipids/simple/lipamino/index.htm

https://www.lipidhome.co.uk/lipids/simple/endocan/index.htm

https://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Lipid_signaling.html

https://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Terpene.html

https://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Terpenoid.html

" Cannabinoids are a group of terpenophenolic compounds present in Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L). The broader definition of cannabinoids refer to a group of substances that are structurally related to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or that bind to cannabinoid receptors. The chemical definition encompasses a variety of distinct chemical classes: the classical cannabinoids structurally related to THC, the nonclassical cannabinoids, the aminoalkylindoles, the eicosanoids related to the endocannabinoids, 1,5-diarylpyrazoles, quinolines and arylsulphonamides and additional compounds that do not fall into these standard classes but bind to cannabinoid receptors.[1] The term cannabinoids also refers to a unique group of secondary metabolites found in the cannabis plant, which are responsible for the plant's peculiar pharmacological effects. Currently, there are three general types of cannabinoids: phytocannabinoids occur uniquely in the cannabis plant; endogenous cannabinoids are produced in the bodies of humans and other animals; and synthetic cannabinoids are similar compounds produced in a laboratory. "

C No Ego

@C No Ego – Don't get your points, too many links to read. So are we inhaling lipids or not? :-)

yes, a lipid with a terpene backbone... the terpene directs the metabolism of the lipids... as @CANtalk mentioned, they are Amides / amines / epoxides of fatty acids...
here is vitamin E acetate
Chemical formula
C31H52O3
Molar mass 472.743 g/mol
Appearance pale yellow, viscous liquid[1]
Melting point –27.5 °C [1]

here is THC
Formula C21H30O2
Molar mass 314.469 g·mol−1

edit - even more important are the elimination pathways ... the cannabinoids all go through so many pathways that are there to channel lipids into receptors ... examples, NAPE/ FAAH / MAGL / DAGL / PPAR / CYP450 / and probably the most important or observed = COX / LOX
please copy paste into your search to know what these are

edit 2 - our cells are phospholipids... they cleave phospatidylcholine / sterine from the structure and add those soluble epoxide fatty acid binding protein agents to form cannabinoid receptors ( crystallization) .
the action of the cannabinoids is post deploarization ( post to pre) to effect pre synpatic terminus.
ingesting phytocannabinoids = they bio-mimic this action somewhat and the cells accept them as signaling lipids and make more crystalline cannabinoid receptors with them

Last edited:
C No Ego,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@C No Ego – I try to make this discussion as simple as possible. So you say THC is a lipid, lipids are known to cause lipid pneumonia when being inhaled, so you say that inhaling THC is potentially fatal. Or do I miss something here? Esp. when vaporizing cannabis, the amount of thc in the inhaled mass is quite high, which would mean that we would see cases of lipid pneumonia being caused by vaporizing dry herb (and smoking too I guess).

Siebter,

C No Ego

@C No Ego – I try to make this discussion as simple as possible. So you say THC is a lipid, lipids are known to cause lipid pneumonia when being inhaled, so you say that inhaling THC is potentially fatal. Or do I miss something here? Esp. when vaporizing cannabis, the amount of thc in the inhaled mass is quite high, which would mean that we would see cases of lipid pneumonia being caused by vaporizing dry herb (and smoking too I guess).

what I said is THC bio-mimics our endogenously made endocannabinoids...
THC mimics - anandamide.. ( n arachidonoylethanolamine) which is made through the process I posted about in the other post
the Therapeutic index for thc is 40,000/50,000 to 1, this is also known as LD50 rating
the action that THC mimics = 15,000 cannabinoid signals occur each second per cell ( almost 1 mil a minute) ... add up about 50 trilliopn cells each signaling 15k a second and that is your ECS in action... I have no ( none @ all) simple answers to your complicated questions

therapeutic index for vitamin E acetate is not even registering... especially if you inhale it into your lungs as an vapor

C No Ego,

C No Ego

The question is very simple: is THC a lipid or does it contain lipids?
already answered that ... read my posts, THC is lipophilic ... not only is it a lipid it is terpenophenolic and used in our anatomy as a secondary metabolite , how/ what it mimics I've posted for you here

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@C No Ego – You heavily bypass my (again: pretty simple) question. „Lipophilic“ does not necessarily mean than something is lipid itself. I did not ask what it mimics or what kind of metabolite it is. I asked is thc a lipid.

Anyway, so you seem (!) to say it is a lipid. How come vaping it does not result in lipid pneumonia then?

Siebter,

Baron23

...hence I think the substances are not oils in the sense of „lipids“ (which is a relatively fixed term I think).

We are not talking about long term effects here, some of the victims of the cart crisis have been only vaping for a short period of time. Lipid pneumonia seems to occur acutely and not really in a slow, gradual way.

Edit - one argument just pops into my mind: if vapor was a lipid fatty oily thing, why do we need isopropyl alcohol to remove residue from our devices? This residue in my experience also does not seem oily, but rather sticky and solid. Like resin.
You use a TM, right? It has a glass stem.

The amber stuff that collects on that stem is the same stuff that will condense on your lungs.

The fact that this reclaim is “oily” does not in anyway make it related to Vitamin E oil.

There are many, many kinds of “oil”

Top Bottom