1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Vape Carts Health Crisis Megathread

Discussion in 'Medical Discussion' started by vapirtoo, Aug 26, 2019.

1. invertedisdead

invertedisdead High Standards

Now that's interesting.

2. notoriousLrg

notoriousLrg sTrange cLouds

I stopped using ccells awhile ago b/c the ceramic was too soft and brittle. I could lightly scratch it with an awl and watch the dust fly. I wonder now about the wiring on 510 devices like a ccell - specifically the wiring to the pin. I've seen this wiring be of two different colors once it leaves the ceramic core as it makes its way to the pin. I guess this is to keep it from arcing :shrug: but hope its not silver solder.

3. nicknock

nicknock Member

Most of the people involved in this US thing would of been on carts/pens though, as some were teens like 17yo, not like they were using only dry-herbs (if at all) but it still does concern me GREATLY and also has been a thought more the past few years just thought "eh, doubt anyone could elaborate on it" as it would take a death/disease related to / linked to a person that only uses dry-herb vapes. Kinda pissed off and annoyed now. Don't even know anymore an off and on situation...

C No Ego likes this.
  4. C No Ego

C No Ego Well-Known Member

dry herb vapes are safe... do not try and vape e-juice with synthetic vitamin E in a dry herb vape

JCat likes this.
  5. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I wrote a CA based manufacturer of cartridges, Raw Garden (www.RawGarden.farm), and asked "Do the cartridges you fill use silver in the soldering?" and then linked to the article regarding silver solder in this thread. Their answer was not from a spokeshole as he used clear English:

"No, they don't."

Of course, that's a legal manufacturer in CA. But, they use CCell tech for the cart.

JCat, Jill NYC and Planck like this.
  6. abracadaver

abracadaver aka mephisto

Having used silver bearing solder, and silver solder for my trade, I am interested to hear the potential
    risks. What other type of solder would be used in this situation? I personally would trust the higher melt
    point of silver solder, (not so much silver-bearing solder) from a health standpoint, when compared to the garbage given off by lead based solder.

There may be no solder at all, but it would be nice to know what the " industry standard " claims to be.
    Sorry to derail into materials, happy to continue in DMs.

JCat, Planck, captainbrent and 2 others like this.
  7. Planck

Planck believes in Dog

Interesting but I think the question is "Does your device contain solder alloyed with cadmium?"

Without diving down the rabbit hole I doubt metallic silver would pose a health risk. AIR silver is a very inert heavy metal bested only by gold. Silver compounds like silver nitrate, may be more of a concern but I am unaware of any that merit special concern though we know a high enough dose of anything can kill one dead. I would love to hear some unbiased expert expound further.

I admire your initiative @OldNewbie !

JCat, Jill NYC and OldNewbie like this.
  8. notoriousLrg

notoriousLrg sTrange cLouds

relative to the possibility of the solder being at issue here, do you guys think the possibility is related to the fused metal & solder coming in contact with the eliquid/oil being vaped, or let alone present in the power delivery to the atomizer?

my recollection of how the ccell operates is that one of the leads is wrapped inside the cotton sleeve as it runs to the pin, so the wiring does come in contact with oil.

JCat and OldNewbie like this.
  9. invertedisdead

Thats what was happening a few months back with the knock off Ccells that were leaching lead and failing Cat 3 testing.

JCat and OldNewbie like this.
  10. hafalump

hafalump Well-Known Member

I know nothing of these pen things but a friend uses a device with a cheapo vape battery and a small dome under where there is a heat coil. He only uses pressed rosin ,thinking it is super clean. Is he still getting poison from this cheap pen thing? It is not a cart or liquid, just one dab ot a time......

JCat likes this.
  11. invertedisdead

He's probably fine, the coil material is probably nichrome though, those dome pens are pretty outdated.

JCat likes this.
  12. hafalump

He may give me some, I ll run it through my e nano in a bud sandwich.

JCat and invertedisdead like this.
  13. Planck

Planck believes in Dog

invertedisdead likes this.
  14. CANtalk

CANtalk Well-Known Member

15. hafalump

16. hafalump

TheThriftDrifter, JCat and mitchgo61 like this.
  17. mitchgo61

mitchgo61 I go where the thrills are

I just read this. Another typically misleading article on the subject....NYT are experts at misleading on a wide variety of topics. Also as usual, if you read the piece, it’s not nearly as specious as the absurd headline.

Meanwhile the last line says it all:

He summed up what little is known about vaping THC oil: “All we know is that there weren’t many problems until recently.”

Exactly. Something changed. Fucking figure it out already and stop tarring all cannibis vaping with the same brush.

TheThriftDrifter, JCat and hafalump like this.
  18. hafalump

there weren’t problems until recently, but the head line is “shadowy past”
    NYT is getting as bad as faux news...... or the enquirer

19. TommyDee

TommyDee Vaporitor

Did I just read something that may be significant about synthetic THC oils in relation to this issue?

TheThriftDrifter likes this.
  20. darbarikanada

darbarikanada Well-Known Member

from what I've read, grey/black market producers were mixing in non-THC oil (i.e. not synthetic THC oil so much as oil that resembles THC oil as far as color and viscosity) in their carts to make more money (THC oil is expensive). one suspect oil is 'vitamin E acetate'.

TheThriftDrifter likes this.
  21. TommyDee

TommyDee Vaporitor

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019 at 6:08 PM
  22. darbarikanada

darbarikanada Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they call spice 'synthetic marijuana'; AFAIK it's synthetic chemicals sprayed on random herbs, i.e. has nothing to do with cannabis except for the fact that it's psychoactive.

"Traditional smoked Spice/K2 looks like herbal tobacco, or natural marijuana. It’s actually made from dried plant material and chopped up herbs in a mixture of colors including beige, cream red and brown. The active ingredients are synthetic chemicals (cannabinoids) sprayed onto the plant material."

you definitely shouldn't vape or smoke spice - it's scary stuff.

23. olivianewtonjohn

olivianewtonjohn Well-Known Member

Spice started out as synthetic cannabinoids (some I believe with higher binding affinity) but it is unregulated so the compounds could be anything at this stage. Being synthetic isnt the issue its the compounds themselves (nothing magical about "natural" or lab produced compounds, its all just atoms bonded together).

TommyDee and Planck like this.
  24. Hackerman

Hackerman User

Probably Angledust or PCP mixed with V-Ea. ;)

25. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be here as the company did not directly link sales loss to the vape issue. But, *we* know the truth.

https://mjbizdaily.com/cannabis-vap...of-workers-after-missing-revenue-projections/

California-based Pax Labs, one of the leading vape pen companies in the cannabis industry, disclosed Monday it laid off 65 workers, or 25% of its workforce, after missing its revenue projections.

The layoffs come amid a health crisis that has shaken the vaporizing industry.

The San Francisco company – which originally had ties to the Juul e-cigarette before that product was spun off as a separate company – declined to directly link the vaping health crisis to the layoffs, saying only that its sales had fallen short of expectations.

In an emailed statement to Marijuana Business Daily, Pax spokeswoman Dianne Gleason said: “In light of evolving business priorities, we have made the difficult decision to part ways with 65 members of our team, or 25% of the organization, effective (Monday).”
    In a letter to all employees dated Oct. 8, interim CEO Lisa “LD” Sergi wrote that “in light of our recent revenue miss and commitment to financial responsibility we’re in the process of working through the requisite budget adjustments.”

Pax is the second high-profile California cannabis company to announce layoffs this month.

Last week, California marijuana advertising giant Weedmaps announced it laid off 25% of its workforce, blaming the slow rollout of recreational MJ markets in California and Massachusetts and a dwindling pool of outside funding.

The Pax layoffs come on the heels of a $420 million raise in April, the largest amount ever raised by a U.S.-based marijuana company.

On its website, Pax notes the company ” is backed by leading technology investors including Fidelity Investments, Tiger Global and Tao Invest.” The latter has ties to the wealthy Pritzker lilly.

In September, Pax ousted CEO Bharat Vasan. This was also at the time that the vaping health crisis was grabbing national attention.

In 2017, Pax Labs was spun out of Juul Labs to form its own separate company.

According to Pax: “The transaction was done to allow Juul to focus on the e-cigarette nicotine market and Pax to continue its focus on vaporization technologies for cannabis and other plant-based materials. The companies operate completely independently under separate management teams focused on their unique markets.”

Gleason, the spokeswoman, noted in an email: “We never were part of the Juul device.”

In her email to employees, Sergi wrote that, because of the revenue miss, “a painful but necessary part of this will be a reduction in force.”

She went on to say the layoffs would help the company to grow in a “more measured, strategic way.”

According to an employee who was fired and requested anonymity, the layoffs came across all departments.

In April, after the raise, former CEO Vasan told MJBizDaily that Pax would look at opportunities in Europe and Asia as well as Canada.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors